Swedish Royal Names & Pronunciation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're royals so they don't have a surname. I suppose the Swedish royals would use Bernadotte as a surname if they ever need to.

Expressen noticed whoever filled out Princess Leonore's diplomatic passport document wrote "Bernadotte O'Neill" in the surname column even though she didn't need one.

See http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ril-2014-june-2015-a-36799-3.html#post1670534

When Daniel and Victoria got married, the Royal Court sent to the Tax Agency an application of the change of name: Daniel's new name was Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte.
Prins Daniel byter namn _ Nyheter _ Expressen
When Carl Philip and Sofia got married, the Royal Court sent to the Tax Agency an application of the change of name. It explained that they chose a common last name, Bernadotte.
Sofia Hellqvist byter namn till Bernadotte _ Nyheter _ Expressen

When Estelle was born, The Swedish Tax Agency decided that Princess Estelle does not have to carry a last name. She received an asterisk entered in the column of the registry office where the surname else should be - something that according to the Tax Agency itselfwas in conflict with the name law.
Skatteverket medger – bryter mot lagen när det gäller prinsessan Estelle _ Dagens Juridik

Choice of names in Bernadotte Sweden

Name in Italic denotes the "tilltalsnamn", which is the short name commonly used in official documents.

Carl XIV Johan was originally known as Jean Baptiste Jules Bernadotte.
His son, Oscar I, was originally known as Joseph François Oscar Bernadotte.
-
Oscar I has 5 children,
Carl Ludvig Eugen,
Frans Gustaf Oscar,
Oscar Frederik,
Charlotta Eugenia Augusta Amalia Albertina
Nikolaus August.
-
Carl Ludvig Eugen's children are Lovisa Josefina Eugenia and Carl Oscar Vilhelm Fredrik. Lovisa is named after Carl Ludvig Eugen's spouse, Louise of the Netherlands.
-
The tilltalsnamn of Oscar I's children were reused for Oscar II's children, but in a different order:
Oscar Gustaf Adolf (his father + Gustaf Adolf)
Oscar Carl August
Oscar Carl Wilhelm
Eugen Napoleon Nicolaus
These 4 names mirror Carl, Gustaf, Oscar and Eugenie. Nicolaus and August are also used as secondary names.
-
The names of Oscar Carl Wilhelm's children are as follows:
Margaretha Sofia Lovisa Ingeborg (Ingeborg is their mother)
Märtha Sofia Lovisa Dagmar Thyra (Lovisa is their grandmother)
Astrid Sofia Lovisa Thyra (Thyra is their grandfather's sister)
Carl Gustaf Oscar Fredrik Christian (Carl Gustaf Oscar takes the order from the first 3 children of Oscar I while Fredrik Christian takes the royal names from Denmark)
-
The names of Oscar Gustaf Adolf's children are as follows:
Oscar Fredrik Wilhelm Olaf Gustaf Adolf
Carl Wilhelm Ludvig (possibly taken from Carl Ludvig Eugen)
Erik Gustav Ludvig Albert
-
The names for Oscar Gustaf Adolf's grandchildren are as follows:
Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund (first 4 names taken from his father)
Sigvard Oscar Fredrik (also taken from his father)
Ingrid Victoria Sofia Louise Margaretha
Bertil Gustaf Oskar Carl Eugén (order taken from Oscar II's children)
Carl Johan Arthur
Gustaf Lennart Nicolaus Paul
-
The names of Gustaf Adolf Oscar Frederik Arthur Edmund's children are as follows:
Margaretha Desirée Victoria (possibly taken from Victoria of Baden)
Birgitta Ingeborg Alice (possibly taken from Ingeborg of Denmark)
Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla (possibly taken from Desiree Clary and Sibylla of SCG)
Christina Louise Helena (possibly taken from Stockholmsrännstensungen)
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus (possibly taken from Carolus Gustavus, Folke Bernadotte and Hubertus of SCG)
-
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' children are as follows:
Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée (more likely to be taken from Alice Sommerlath)
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil (possibly taken from Carolus Philippus and his great-uncle)
Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine
-
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' grandchildren are as follows:
Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary (taken from Estelle Manville, Silvia Sommerlath, Ewa Westling and Mary Donaldson)
Leonore Lilian Maria (taken from Lilian, Duchess of Halland)
Nicolas Paul Gustaf (possibly taken from Lennart)
Oscar Carl Olof
Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil (possibly taken from Erik of Västmanland, Hubertus of SCG and Bertil of Halland)
Gabriel Carl Walther (taken from Carl Philip and Walther Sommerlath)
Adrienne Josephine Alice (taken from Josephine of Leuchtenberg)

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that Josephine of Leuchtenberg's father was Vicomte Eugene de Beauharnais, the son empress Josephine had from her first marriage. He had married Anna Amalie of Bavaria, the daughter of king Maximilian I. and was created Duke of Leuchtenberg. Through her mother queen Josephine was the niece of an Austrian empress (formerly queen of Württemberg), a queen of Prussia and two queens of Saxony, first cousin of emperor Franz Joseph I. (through her mother's sister Sophie), his wife empress Elisabeth, her sister Marie queen of Naples-Two Sicilies, Mathilde of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (through her related to the Hohenzollerns), Sophie d'Alencon (of the French Bourbons), two kings of Saxony and a grand-duchess of Tuscany plus, of course, the Bavarian Royals. Through her father's side she was the niece of Louis Bonaparte and his wife Hortense de Beauharnais and thus first cousin of emperor Napoleon III. Napoleon III. A second cousin via the Beauharnais to the grandduchess of Baden Stephanie de Beauharnais's daughter Louise Amelie, who had married the Wasa-contender to the Swedish throne, prince Gustav of Wasa. Their only daughter married the first cousin of Josephine, king Albert of Saxony - with her ended the Wasa-line of Sweden, as her marriage ended childless.

So that's how the name Eugen came into the Bernadotte-family and how they were with one marriage related to most reigning Houses of their time, especially to the rulers themselves.

According to his sister Ingrid, Prince Gustav Adolf was always known to the family as "Edmund".

So, Oscar II named three of his sons Oscar... and stopped?

I've always wondered exactly who Victoria was named for. The Vasa princess wasn't terribly popular. I'd be more willing to bet CG and Silvia just liked the name.

Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary (taken from Estelle Manville, Silvia Sommerlath, Ewa Westling and Mary Donaldson)
Oscar Carl Olof
Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil (possibly taken from Erik of Västmanland, Hubertus of SCG and Bertil of Halland)
While it surely was a nice coincidence that there was another Erik in the royal family, I am pretty sure Alexander's second name was after his maternal grandfather. Just like Madeleine's eldest two have their maternal grandparents second (Maria for Eva Maria) and first (Paul) names as middle names (next to a name from their mother's family).

According to his sister Ingrid, Prince Gustav Adolf was always known to the family as "Edmund".

So, Oscar II named three of his sons Oscar... and stopped?

I've always wondered exactly who Victoria was named for. The Vasa princess wasn't terribly popular. I'd be more willing to bet CG and Silvia just liked the name.

I bet they thought it would sound good with the titel - Drottning Victoria (Queen Victoria), as it undoubtedly does. :flowers:

I bet they thought it would sound good with the titel - Drottning Victoria (Queen Victoria), as it undoubtedly does. :flowers:
At the time of her birth, an eventual younger brother was supposed to be the next king. I don't know how much talk there had been on allowing women to succeed the throne at that point.

The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' children are as follows:
Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée (more likely to be taken from Alice Sommerlath)
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil (possibly taken from Carolus Philippus and his great-uncle)
Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine
-
Oscar Carl Olof

Victoria: Victoria (Victoria of Baden) Ingrid (her great aunt Queen Ingrid of DenmarK) Alice (her maternal grandmother) Desiree (for her godmother Princess Desiree of Sweden0

Carl Philip: Carl (his father among others) Edmund (his grandfather who was known as Edmund) Bertil (his great Uncle who was also his godfather)

Madeleine: Josephine (Josephine of Leuchtenberg) oddly the only sibling who doesn't have a name in honor of a godparent.

Estelle: Countess Estelle Bernadotte, her two grandmothers, CP Mary

Oscar: Oscar (for past kings) Carl (grandfather) Olof (Daniel's legal first name, Daniel is his middle name). Like his sister he also shares a name with a godparent, in his case Oscar Magnuson.

Alexander: Erik (his maternal grandfather), Hubertus (paternal grandfather) Bertil (his father's great Uncle, a name he shares with his father)

Gabriel: Carl (his dad and grandfather) Walther (his dad's maternal grandfather)

Leonor: Leonor (is a form of Eleanora which is the name of a previous queen), Lilian (mother's great aunt) Maria (paternal grandmother Eva Maria)

Nicolas: Paul (his paternal grandfather Paul Oneil) Gustaf (maternal grandfather)

Adrienne: Josephine (while a royal name was used in honor of Chris' grandmother Josephine Cesario), Alice (Madeleine's maternal grandmother)

Last edited:
I thought the "Ingrid" in Crown Princess Victoria's name was in honor of her father's former nanny.

I imagine (Oscar) Carl Olof was named after his two grandfathers. Olle is derived from the name Olof.

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath announced their engagement on March 12, 1976. March 12 is the Swedish name day for the name Victoria.

At the time of her birth, an eventual younger brother was supposed to be the next king. I don't know how much talk there had been on allowing women to succeed the throne at that point.

Parliament appointed former governor Ingvar Lindell to make recommendations regarding female succession in December 1975. Mr. Lindell's proposition to introduce absolute primogeniture was submitted to Parliament in March 1977. Princess Victoria was born in July 1977. A bill to reform the Act of Succession passed its first vote in May 1978.

Just wanted to add that Josephine of Leuchtenberg's father was Vicomte Eugene de Beauharnais, the son empress Josephine had from her first marriage. He had married Anna Amalie of Bavaria, the daughter of king Maximilian I. and was created Duke of Leuchtenberg.

He was adopted by his stepfather, the French emperor, and became an imperial prince of France. But like the other members of the French imperial family, he dropped his imperial title after the emperor was dethroned.

Last edited:
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath announced their engagement on March 12, 1976. March 12 is the Swedish name day for the name Victoria.
Fun fact! And her name day is celebrated to this day (while no other name days are celebrated).

Parliament appointed former governor Ingvar Lindell to make recommendations regarding female succession in December 1975. Mr. Lindell's proposition to introduce absolute primogeniture was submitted to Parliament in March 1977. Princess Victoria was born in July 1977. A bill to reform the Act of Succession passed its first vote in May 1978.
Thanks, so it was indeed to be expected that she would be queen even though it took until after her brother's birth for it to materialize.

Last edited:

No not really. The steps toward changing the Succession law was taken before Victoria was born, so there was never any doubt about the first born was going to be the heir to the throne.

But since it's a part of the Constitutional laws it takes a long time to implement, there must be two General Elections in between, hence the delay.

But the discussions and decision was made as soon as the new King got married.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the above post.

Last edited:
Fun fact! And her name day is celebrated to this day (while no other name days are celebrated).

Thanks, so it was indeed to be expected that she would be queen even though it took until after her brother's birth for it to materialize.

I wonder why Carl Gustaf had the Crown Prince’s crown on display at his son’s christening when it was expected that the amendment to the Act of Succession would be ratified following the next general election.

I wonder why Carl Gustaf had the Crown Prince’s crown on display at his son’s christening when it was expected that the amendment to the Act of Succession would be ratified following the next general election.

As a silent protest (given that is has been said that he was not in favor of this change - I wonder whether that partly is because he himself would not have been king had the rule been applied among his siblings) and/or to acknowledge that CP was the crown prince at that point in time.

As a silent protest (given that is has been said that he was not in favor of this change - I wonder whether that partly is because he himself would not have been king had the rule been applied among his siblings) and/or to acknowledge that CP was the crown prince at that point in time.

The King, and to a lesser extent the Queen, was publicly and strongly outspoken in opposition to equal succession rights for females. I can link to or post quotes in a more relevant thread, if you would like.

This is wholly speculative, but I've wondered whether their choice to bestow their firstborn daughter with a name only carried up to then by a queen consort, rather than naming her for one of the past queens (or kings) regnant, especially when followed by their choice to give their secondborn son the conventional kingly name of Carl, was an intentional signal.

I have also wondered about the King's decision to bestow a dukedom which was borne last by a king (Gustaf V) on Carl Philip, and then bestow a dukedom borne last by Gustaf V's younger brother on Victoria.

Considering that he continued to publicly criticize the amendment as late as 23 years after it went into effect, I suppose it was in character for him.

That was only because of Royal protocol.

That was only because of Royal protocol.

I am not sure royal protocol would cover the situation of the baptism of an infant who was technically the crown prince but was already anticipated to lose his position, as I don't think it had occurred previously.

The King, and to a lesser extent the Queen, was publicly and strongly outspoken in opposition to equal succession rights for females. I can link to or post quotes in a more relevant thread, if you would like.

This is wholly speculative, but I've wondered whether their choice to bestow their firstborn daughter with a name only carried up to then by a queen consort, rather than naming her for one of the past queens (or kings) regnant, especially when followed by their choice to give their secondborn son the conventional kingly name of Carl, was an intentional signal.

I have also wondered about the King's decision to bestow a dukedom which was borne last by a king (Gustaf V) on Carl Philip, then bestowing a dukedom borne last by Gustaf V's younger brother on Victoria.

Considering that he continued to publicly criticize the amendment as late as 23 years after it went into effect, I suppose it was in character for him.

It would be fine if you can find those quotes that say they were against a change, because it's only in later years that this has become some sort of common "knowledge" floating around on royal blogs and forums.

If any of them ever said anything like that, they would have lost their jobs, I can garantie you that. And I for one would most definately have been very upset.

In fact, the biggest Swedish tabloid, the left wing Aftonbladet, recently tried to dig up any of these alleged quotes but came up emptyhanded. To their chagrin I might add. What a juicy tidbit it would have been for republicans. :D

I have also wondered about the King's decision to bestow a dukedom which was borne last by a king (Gustaf V) on Carl Philip, and then bestow a dukedom borne last by Gustaf V's younger brother on Victoria.

I would be very interested to hear, more relevant thread or not, what CG was planning on doing if he never had a son. ?

I am not sure royal protocol would cover the situation of the baptism of an infant who was technically the crown prince but was already anticipated to lose his position, as I don't think it had occurred previously.

It would, just because he was the crown prince at the time. Perfect protocol.

It's also clear that the king treated his son's children differently in terms of dukedoms than his younger daughter's children. While especially Carl Philip's eldest child (the rightful heir in CG's eyes?!) got ducal titles with a lot of history (and a palace attached to it). Madeleine's childeren (just like their mother) mostly got 'new' ducal titles or with a more limited royal history (probably taking into account that Leonore was the spare at that point).

And while Estelle did get a ducal title with a lot of history; her younger brother's title has only been awarded to future kings.

Estelle: Östergötland
Sune Sik, Duke of Östergötland 12th century (according to 18th-century Swedish historian Magnus Boræn)
Prince Magnus, Duke of Östergötland 1560–1595
Prince John, Duke of Östergötland 1606–1618
Princess Maria Elizabeth, Duchess of Östergötland 1612–1618 as consort and widow of Prince John
Prince Fredrik Adolph, Duke of Östergötland 1772–1803
Prince Oscar, Duke of Östergötland 1829–1872, then King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway
Princess Sophia, Duchess of Östergötland 1857–1872 as consort of Prince Oscar, then Queen of Sweden and Norway
Prince Carl, Duke of Östergötland 1911–1937, Queen Astrid of Belgium's brother, later Prince Bernadotte
Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland 2012–

Oscar: Skane
Prince Carl, Duke of Scania (1826-1859), later King Carl XV of Sweden and Norway
Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Scania (1882-1950), later King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden
Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne (2016–present)

Alexander: Söndermanland
Erik Magnusson, son of King Magnus III, from 1302 until his death in 1318
Prince Karl, son of King Gustav I, from 1560 until he became King in 1604
Prince Karl Filip, son of King Karl IX, from 1609 until his death in 1622
Prince Karl, son of King Adolf Fredrik, from 1772 until he became King in 1809
Prince Oscar, son of King Karl XIV Johan, from before 1818 until he became King in 1844
Prince Carl Oscar, son of Crown Prince (later King) Karl (XV), from his birth in 1852 until his death in 1854
Prince Wilhelm, son of King Gustaf V, from his birth in 1884 until his death in 1965
Prince Alexander, grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf, from 2016

Gabriel: Dalarna
Prince August, Duke of Dalarna 1831–1873
Prince Carl Johan, Duke of Dalarna 1916–1946
Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna 2017–present

Leonore: Gotland
Duke Eric, Lord of Gotland (1397)
Ex-King Eric, Lord of Gotland (1439–1449)

Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (1859–1888)
Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland (2014–present)

Nicolas: Angermanland
Prince Nicolas, Duke of Ångermanland (2015 - present)

Adrienne: Blekinge
Princess Adrienne, Duchess of Blekinge (2018 - present)

It's also clear that the king treated his son's children differently in terms of dukedoms than his younger daughter's children. While especially Carl Philip's eldest child (the rightful heir in CG's eyes?!) got ducal titles with a lot of history (and a palace attached to it). Madeleine's childeren (just like their mother) mostly got 'new' ducal titles or with a more limited royal history (probably taking into account that Leonore was the spare at that point).

And while Estelle did get a ducal title with a lot of history; her younger brother's title has only been awarded to future kings.

Estelle: Östergötland
Sune Sik, Duke of Östergötland 12th century (according to 18th-century Swedish historian Magnus Boræn)
Prince Magnus, Duke of Östergötland 1560–1595
Prince John, Duke of Östergötland 1606–1618
Princess Maria Elizabeth, Duchess of Östergötland 1612–1618 as consort and widow of Prince John
Prince Fredrik Adolph, Duke of Östergötland 1772–1803
Prince Oscar, Duke of Östergötland 1829–1872, then King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway
Princess Sophia, Duchess of Östergötland 1857–1872 as consort of Prince Oscar, then Queen of Sweden and Norway
Prince Carl, Duke of Östergötland 1911–1937, Queen Astrid of Belgium's brother, later Prince Bernadotte
Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland 2012–

Oscar: Skane
Prince Carl, Duke of Scania (1826-1859), later King Carl XV of Sweden and Norway
Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Scania (1882-1950), later King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden
Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne (2016–present)

Alexander: Söndermanland
Erik Magnusson, son of King Magnus III, from 1302 until his death in 1318
Prince Karl, son of King Gustav I, from 1560 until he became King in 1604
Prince Karl Filip, son of King Karl IX, from 1609 until his death in 1622
Prince Karl, son of King Adolf Fredrik, from 1772 until he became King in 1809
Prince Oscar, son of King Karl XIV Johan, from before 1818 until he became King in 1844
Prince Carl Oscar, son of Crown Prince (later King) Karl (XV), from his birth in 1852 until his death in 1854
Prince Wilhelm, son of King Gustaf V, from his birth in 1884 until his death in 1965
Prince Alexander, grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf, from 2016

Gabriel: Dalarna
Prince August, Duke of Dalarna 1831–1873
Prince Carl Johan, Duke of Dalarna 1916–1946
Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna 2017–present

Leonore: Gotland
Duke Eric, Lord of Gotland (1397)
Ex-King Eric, Lord of Gotland (1439–1449)

Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (1859–1888)
Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland (2014–present)

Nicolas: Angermanland
Prince Nicolas, Duke of Ångermanland (2015 - present)

Adrienne: Blekinge
Princess Adrienne, Duchess of Blekinge (2018 - present)

You can refer to my post at https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...-and-changes-2019-a-20051-13.html#post2339453.

And it didn't compare the ducal titles of the king's grandchildren - which was the point of my post.

It did. It gave a summary that all of Madeleine's children got dukedoms from duchies created after 1818 (Nicolas and Adrienne are the first to receive their dukedoms), while Estelle, Oscar and Alexander are granted more traditional ones. And the position in line is taken into consideration, too. Oscar of Gotland, August and Carl Johan weren't really that high in the line to the throne, but Wilhelm was.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, is Sweden one of the countries where it's now illegal to name a child Adolf? I think it's probably gone for good from the SRF; I'm just curious if it's the law saying so or not.

Out of curiosity, is Sweden one of the countries where it's now illegal to name a child Adolf? I think it's probably gone for good from the SRF; I'm just curious if it's the law saying so or not.

Not sure, but the last person with the name Adolf in the SRF is already dead by 1973. Since then no one in the SRF has been named Adolf.
But whenever SRF names a child Adolf, Gustaf will very likely come before Adolf, as in "Gustaf Adolf".

It would be fine if you can find those quotes that say they were against a change, because it's only in later years that this has become some sort of common "knowledge" floating around on royal blogs and forums.

If any of them ever said anything like that, they would have lost their jobs, I can garantie you that. And I for one would most definately have been very upset.

In fact, the biggest Swedish tabloid, the left wing Aftonbladet, recently tried to dig up any of these alleged quotes but came up emptyhanded. To their chagrin I might add. What a juicy tidbit it would have been for republicans. :D

Sorry for missing this post. I am surprised that an Aftonbladet reporter had trouble finding quotes from the King as some of them are not that difficult to find, including on Aftonbladet's own website.

Please read this thread, where some quotes have already been posted, as a start. I will add to it in due time.

The King's Opinion on the Succession Laws

Edited to add: The above thread has now been merged here: The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change

Last edited:
Not sure, but the last person with the name Adolf in the SRF is already dead by 1973. Since then no one in the SRF has been named Adolf.
But whenever SRF names a child Adolf, Gustaf will very likely come before Adolf, as in "Gustaf Adolf".

Even if Gustaf comes before it I don't see it being used in the next century or so. Too much connotation to Hitler at this point. I'd be shocked if any royal family with it in the family tree, uses it for some generations. Gustaf VI Adolf was born in 1882, well before the name became a questionable choice. And the king's father in 1906.

I also don't see any future baby Adolphes in Luxembourg, even though its a royal name (different spelling but still).

Gustaf Adolf is sometimes referred to as Gustavus Adolphus. However, Adolphus may not even be used for a prince's name.

Back
Top Bottom