Swedish Royal Names & Pronunciation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to revive this thread.....

But in Sweden how do you pronounce Carl Philip's name? In my Aussie accent it would be too harsh I think - is it Karl Fil-ip? Or with an e on the end?

I have no idea - I would love some Swedish help so when I go to Sweden and meet him I don't make a fool of myself ;):p lol

Whats the surname of the royal family? Victora, Philip and Madeleine seem to have different last names.

Scanorama said:
Whats the surname of the royal family? Victora, Philip and Madeleine seem to have different last names.
How do you mean?
Their surname is Bernadotte and all the children has that name... but they dont always use it in "everyday life". In school Victoria was called "Kronprinsessan Victoria" on her report card.

Scanorama said:
the dukesdoms they have after thier name is not last names

trippc I think its great when old thread get a bit attention so keep finding them and get some new perspective on old subjects

Last edited:
Yennie said:
How do you mean?
Their surname is Bernadotte and all the children has that name... but they dont always use it in "everyday life". In school Victoria was called "Kronprinsessan Victoria" on her report card.

Oh, was she really? What about the Prince and the Princess M.?
On their passports, does it say Bernadotte?
Thanks! :)

Helen88 said:
Oh, was she really? What about the Prince and the Princess M.?
On their passports, does it say Bernadotte?
Thanks! :)
I dont know about the prince and the princess. But as Victoria is "higher" ranked its possible that only she has this princess-calling all the time.
I dont know much about their passports, but I do know that the whole royal family has diplomat passports.

I remember reading that when Victoria was 7 years old and started school, all of her teachers had to adress her as "princess".
Must be wierd for a 7 year old :)

Josefine said:
did carl philip also use bernadotte in the military
Yes he did. In the photos of him in uniform you can see his name: "Bernadotte" and a number I think, on his chest...

But on Victorias, it said Kronprinsessan (Crownprincess)

Yennie said:
Yes he did. In the photos of him in uniform you can see his name: "Bernadotte" and a number I think, on his chest...

But on Victorias, it said Kronprinsessan (Crownprincess)

i did not notice that i will tack down the military thread and have a look

Pretty interesting.

Josefine, did you find anything in the military thread yet?

Here you can see Victorias sign that says "HKH Kronprinsessan" and Carl Philips "Bernadotte" sign

photo from Scanpix (sorry about the quality, had to enlarge the image so the sign could be seen :) )

Last edited:
Thanks Yennie. Wow, no "special" treatment for the prince. I would think that it was "well known" who the prince was though.;)

well, why is there this name diffrence between Victoria and Carl phillip? and do they have to attend the military?

cloclo said:
well, why is there this name diffrence between Victoria and Carl phillip? and do they have to attend the military?
its common for royals to do military service. As Victoria is crown princess and our future Queen she should have some military education.
I think the name thing is just because of their status, as crown princess Victorias is of higher rank than her brother

And Sweden has compulsory national service for men anyway. (Although they can serve in the fire dept or something similar if they don't want to serve in the armed forces.)

Josefine said:
Madeleine - becouse they liked it
Thérèse Amelie - HH Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxony (In Sweden styled as Princess Theresia)
Josephine - from Queen Josefina of sweden

I didn't know who Madeline's second and third names were for, but I always thought Josephine was for her French ancestress, Josephine Boneparte, second wife of Napoleon?

Leslie2006 said:
I didn't know who Madeline's second and third names were for, but I always thought Josephine was for her French ancestress, Josephine Boneparte, second wife of Napoleon?

Josephine is actually in honor Josephine Bonaparte's granddaughter.

Her fourth name, Josephine, is in honour of her ancestress Josephine of Leuchtenberg (later Queen of Sweden and Norway under the name Josefina) the daughter of Prince Eugene of Bavaria, the son of Napoleon Bonaparte's first wife Joséphine.

I would guess the Therese and the Amelie are just to keep the French theme with her names going; Bernadotte, their surname, is French.

Yennie said:
its common for royals to do military service. As Victoria is crown princess and our future Queen she should have some military education.
I think the name thing is just because of their status, as crown princess Victorias is of higher rank than her brother

Victoria was also called "Princess" while in regular school while both Carl Philip and Madeleine got called by their first names.

Madeleine's name is very French. It flows beautifully though :flowers: . I think Victoria's full name (Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree) isn't as smooth as Madeleine's full name.

thanks for the answers :flowers:
Victoria's full name also includes French names: alice, desiree, but Madeleine is a good name, i like its pronounciation in french, more than in english

I think a future prince can be styled as Gustaf Adolf but be called as HKH Prins Gustaf like Victorias great great grandfather King Gustaf V who´s full name was Oscar Gustaf Adolf.

I dont think a boy will be called for example Gustaf Adolf due to the black assosiations whith the name Adolf.
It is sad because it is an old traditional name in the royal house in sweden, not only as Adolf but as Gustaf Adolf and Adolf Fredrik for example.

For Victorias children i am shure that the first one will have traditional name and maybe the fathers/mothers name as he/she will be nr 2 and later nr 1 in the succession.

For an own example Carl Oscar Fredrik Daniel(maybe?) if it is a boy and
as a girl she can be styled as Christina Louise Ingrid Victoria or something like that.
I guess it will be something traditional and a name frome one of the parents.

Off course it can be more than or less than 4 name but most of the royal houses giving their new generations 4 name today.

For the other possible future royal children in sweden for both Victoria and her brother and sister in is an open question but I think it will be at least one or two traditional name even there.

We have already discussed the background of Victorias and Madeleines 4 name and I think everybody know the background of Carl Philips 4 name too, maybe not Philip.

Carl after his father HM The King.

Philip, belive it or not, it is after the duke of edinburgh even if it is a very old royal name in sweden too, then styled as Filip.

Edmund after his grandfather Prince Gustaf Adolf called Edmund (and it was his last name, he had 6 name!)

Bertil after his fabulous and beloved uncle, the duke of halland.

Last edited:
the name alice came from silvas mother he called alice

What about the pronunciation of Bernadotte. I pronounce it like bern-a-doe but then I think to myself I'm saying burn a doe?! Does anyone know?

RoyalKnottie said:
What about the pronunciation of Bernadotte. I pronounce it like bern-a-doe but then I think to myself I'm saying burn a doe?! Does anyone know?

Not 'ber-na-doe' because the 'tte' at the end must be heard. In the correct (French) style it is 'ber-na-dô-ht'

:flowers:

trippc said:
Sorry to revive this thread.....

But in Sweden how do you pronounce Carl Philip's name? In my Aussie accent it would be too harsh I think - is it Karl Fil-ip? Or with an e on the end?

I have no idea - I would love some Swedish help so when I go to Sweden and meet him I don't make a fool of myself ;):p lol

I believe it is pronunced Korl Filip

Did you think Estelle and Leonore were possible names when the king annunced the names or were you supriced

I find it really funny that the swedish royal family has more international or even foreign names than swedish classic ones! Aside from Carl and Estelle I don't think that the other sound very swedish... Am I wrong?

Did you think Estelle and Leonore were possible names when the king annunced the names or were you supriced

I think both names were unexpected choices.....however, Leonore does have Royal ring to it as Sweden has had many Queen with Eleonora as part of their name .....so it's a bit like a variant.....Estelle is just too different/unusual and 'new'

Madeleine - becouse they liked it
Thérèse Amelie - HH Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxony (In Sweden styled as Princess Theresia)
Josephine - from Queen Josefina of sweden
I would say that it's more likely that the name Amelie is in honour of Amélie of Leuchtenberg, empress of Brazil, and the younger sister of queen Josefina of Sweden. It was from Amélie that the SRF got the Braganza tiara, as queen Josefina was the primary heir of Amélie.

Daniel and sofia has Bernadotte in the in names at the tax officer
How about estelle, oscar, Leonore and Nicolas
The king and queen and victoria, Carl Philip and madeleine has no last name.

I have looked around and estelle, oscar, Leonore and Nicolas has no last name

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom