The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 30,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
LadyFinn,

Since you mentioned "baroness" von Blixen-Fenecke, what is the current legal status of the hereditary nobility in Sweden ? I was under the impression that the Swedish nobility ceased to be legally recognized by the State in 2003, but I guess that is not exactly correct. Could you please clarify ?
I haven't got knowledge of that. Maybe some swedish member could answer to that. All I know is that the court uses the titles at the guest lists etc.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-03-2014, 07:18 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,435
Swedish Nobility

Swedish nobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I was under the impression that the Swedish nobility ceased to be legally recognized by the State in 2003
This is correct. I cannot find an English translation of the law, but this article briefly explains the then-proposition, which became law in July of that year.
Swedish Nobility to Bow Out of Link to Government - Los Angeles Times

The Swedish court and other royal courts continue to use legally abolished titles of nobility and royalty (Prince of Hohenzollern, Prince of Greece, Archduke of Austria, etc).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,034
The swedish nobility didn't get abolished in 2003 it just lost the last few privileges that set it apart from the rest of the population. Riddarhuset, the association of the nobility is now an organisation like any other. The noble titles are still recognised and it's still fully legal to use them although in a country where you're basically on a first name basis with everyone that rarely happens.
That said the nobility still owns large chunks of the arable land and forests in Sweden and even though the system of fideicommis was abolished in the sixties there's still several noble families that have a dispensation from parliament and continues to run their estates according to those old rules of inheritance.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,595
Thank you very much for the clarification.
Abolished does not necessarily mean outlawed, but simply not recognized by the state, as Mbruno put it. Does the Swedish state continue to regulate nobility? Are noble rank and titles used in legal documents?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thank you very much for the clarification.
Abolished does not necessarily mean outlawed, but simply not recognized by the state, as Mbruno put it. Does the Swedish state continue to regulate nobility? Are noble rank and titles used in legal documents?

Peoples titles and rank are afaik not used in official documents in Sweden. That goes not only for noble titles but also for titles as Dr, Mr etc...
No the state does not regulate noble titles anymore


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 4,391
I suggest that the name of this topic be edited for "Swedish Nobility", I think it gets better. Thank you.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:28 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 30,163
Expressen has an article about the richest families/persons in swedish nobility (noble persons or married with noble). The swedish nobility consists now of over 28 000 persons.

Baron Carl Bennet is a very good friend of Daniel, a member of the steering group of Prince Daniel's Fellowship and his company Carl Bennet AB is a founding partner of GEN-PEP.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

The Tham family is connected with the royal family, Liselott (owners of H&M, sister of Stefan Persson) and Peter are friends of the king and queen, and Carolina Tham von Heidenstam is Madeleine's friend.

Count Gustaf and countess Elisabeth Douglas are friends of the king and queen, and partners of The Crown Princess Couple's Foundation.

Count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister was married with Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the former Mistress of the Robes at the court.
De rikaste personerna och familjerna inom den svenska adeln _ Dina pengar
Translation
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post

Count Gustaf and countess Elisabeth Douglas are friends of the king and queen, and partners of The Crown Princess Couple's Foundation.
Gustaf Douglas is also the brother of Rosita Douglas, the former Duchess of Marlborough & Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria, the mother of Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein.

Through Countess Elisabeths paternal descent from the now extinct Brahe family, Premier Counts of Sweden, the family is also proprietors of Rydboholm castle the birthplace and ancestral seat of Gustav I of Sweden.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Peoples titles and rank are afaik not used in official documents in Sweden. That goes not only for noble titles but also for titles as Dr, Mr etc...
No the state does not regulate noble titles anymore


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
so who does regulate it? WHo decides who has titles? Isn't there any mechanism for giving them out?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
so who does regulate it? WHo decides who has titles? Isn't there any mechanism for giving them out?
From what I understand, the King of Sweden can no longer confer titles of nobility because the provision in the Instrument of Government of 1809 that allowed him to do so was removed in the new Instrument of Government of 1974. So, no new nobility can be created in Sweden. The House of Nobles, as a private organization (no longer regulated by the Swedish parliament since 2003) mantains, however, a registry of the noble families who are members of the House. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

BTW, the Swedish king can no longer award orders of knighthood to Swedish citizens either, with the exception of members of the Royal House, who, due to a 1995 amendment to the 1974 law that regulates the royal orders, can now receive both the Order of the Seraphim and the Order of the Polar Star, which, obviously, can also be awarded legally to foreign citizens (as they frequently are). According to the Wikipedia, the King can still award though the Order of Charles XIII to Swedish citizens, but that is not a state order regulated by the Swedish government, Could anyone please clarify ?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-23-2017, 03:04 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
From what I understand, the King of Sweden can no longer confer titles of nobility because the provision in the Instrument of Government of 1809 that allowed him to do so was removed in the new Instrument of Government of 1974, So, no new nobility can be created in Sweden. The House of Nobles, as a private organization (no longer regulated by the Swedish parliament since 2003) mantains, however, a registry of the noble families who are members of the House. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

BTW, the Swedish king can no longer award orders of knighthood to Swedish citizens either, with the exception of members of the Royal House, who, due to a 1995 amendment to the 1974 law that regulates the royal orders, can now receive both the Order of the Seraphim and the Order of the Polar Star, which, obviously, can also be awarded legally to foreign citizens (as they frequently are). According to the Wikipedia, the King can still award though the Order of Charles XIII to Swedish citizens, but that is not a state order regulated by the Swedish government, Could anyone please clarify ?
The Order of Charles XIII isnt an official order but a social order connected to the Freemasons. As such its not regulated by the Swedish Governement.
(Google is my source so please point out if Im wrong.)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,034
This question is not really about titles of the Swedish RF, but rather about the use of titles in the Swedish nobility. Since I didn't know where to ask, I thought this forum would be the closest to the topic, but if it is the wrong place to ask, I apologize.



More specifically, I am trying to understand if/when a daughter of a count or a baron can be called a countess or a baroness in Sweden. I came across the text below from the House of Nobility's guidance on use of titles, but I didn't quite fully understand it and Google Translator seems to have got lost in the syntax. Could any native speaker of Swedish please assist me? Thanks.


Quote:

De kvinnliga titlarna grevinna och friherrinna bärs av hustru till greve eller friherre, liksom av dessas änkor – ibland också, oriktigt, av frånskilda. Titeln baronessa förekommer inte i Sverige. Man skriver således till “Friherre och Friherrinnan X”. När kvinna av grevlig eller friherrlig ätt gifter sig med en adelsman förekommer det att hon kallar sig grevinna eller friherrinna. Gifter hon sig med en ofrälse person används inte någon titel. Ogift kvinna av grevlig eller friherrlig ätt benämns fröken. Den kontinentala titeln comtesse förekommer inte i Sverige.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
This question is not really about titles of the Swedish RF, but rather about the use of titles in the Swedish nobility. Since I didn't know where to ask, I thought this forum would be the closest to the topic, but if it is the wrong place to ask, I apologize.



More specifically, I am trying to understand if/when a daughter of a count or a baron can be called a countess or a baroness in Sweden. I came across the text below from the House of Nobility's guidance on use of titles, but I didn't quite fully understand it and Google Translator seems to have got lost in the syntax. Could any native speaker of Swedish please assist me? Thanks.
Not a native speaker at all but my take on it is that only the wives or widows may use the title of countess (grevinna; not 'komtesse') or 'friherinna' (not baroness) - but not their daughters, they are just 'fröken' - like other unmarried women.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-02-2020, 05:55 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
This question is not really about titles of the Swedish RF, but rather about the use of titles in the Swedish nobility. Since I didn't know where to ask, I thought this forum would be the closest to the topic, but if it is the wrong place to ask, I apologize.



More specifically, I am trying to understand if/when a daughter of a count or a baron can be called a countess or a baroness in Sweden. I came across the text below from the House of Nobility's guidance on use of titles, but I didn't quite fully understand it and Google Translator seems to have got lost in the syntax. Could any native speaker of Swedish please assist me? Thanks.
Married women and widows carry their husband's titles. A divorced lady does not have the right to use her ex-husband's title although some do.
The daughters of counts or barons belonging to families that received their titles before 1809 can use their father's titles if they marry a nobleman with another title or no title at all but that's very rare and is generally frowned upon.
To be honest titles are very rarely used today even socially. Everyone in society knows who's what but it would be considered bad form to mention it. A friend of a relative of mine carries his mother's noble surname but "everyone" knows that he's not a "real" von Xxxxxx.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Married women and widows carry their husband's titles. A divorced lady does not have the right to use her ex-husband's title although some do.
The daughters of counts or barons belonging to families that received their titles before 1809 can use their father's titles if they marry a nobleman with another title or no title at all but that's very rare and is generally frowned upon.
To be honest titles are very rarely used today even socially. Everyone in society knows who's what but it would be considered bad form to mention it. A friend of a relative of mine carries his mother's noble surname but "everyone" knows that he's not a "real" von Xxxxxx.
Thanks for clarifying it ! My doubt was precisely if they could use the title if they married an untitled nobleman or only if they married another count or baron, but it is clear now.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Thanks for clarifying it ! My doubt was precisely if they could use the title if they married an untitled nobleman or only if they married another count or baron, but it is clear now.
That was much more common in the old days when titles were in common usage. Although it was a gradual process Sweden stopped using titles in the mid 1960s.
For context one need to remember that non-noble women didn't start to use the styles of Fru (Mrs) and Fröken (Miss) until the 1800s so even those were signifying social status back the. As is the case with Lady in the UK the women of the Royal family went by Fru or Fröken in the 1500s.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-12-2020, 07:07 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 4,391
Sweden House of Nobility website:

http://www.riddarhuset.se/
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Sweden House of Nobility website:

http://www.riddarhuset.se/

Thanks, Blog Real! The site actually answers many of the questions that have been asked here.


1) Who is a member of the Swedish nobility?


The descendants in male line of the families with representation in the House of Nobility are officially recognized as members of the Swedish nobility with the caveat that, for families who were ennobled under Paragraph 37 of the Instrument of Government of 1809 and introduced in the House of Nobility thereafter, only the most senior male agnate (as determined by the usual rules of primogeniture) is considered noble and has the right to use of the family's title, e.g. of count or baron, when the family is titled.



2) What is the legal status of the nobility?


The Swedish nobility nowadays is legally a corporation constituted and governed by the House of Nobility Act. The House of Nobility Act was amended, however, in 2003 by the Swedish Parliament (?) to remove all legal obligations and prerogatives of the Swedish government with respect to the nobility. Those legal obligations and prerogatives included for example:


  • The obligation of the government to give public notice of the annual head tax approved by the Meeting of the Nobility to be paid by all adult members of the legally recognized nobility;
  • The prerogative of the government to call extraordinary Meetings of the Nobility and to introduce motions for discussion therein;
  • The requirement that all amendments to the House of Nobility Act be approved by the government; and
  • The possibility that families who were not previously introduced in the House of Nobility within two years of the granting of their Letters Patent might petition the King to be extraordinarily introduced following a procedure laid down by government regulation.
In addition, all residual legal privileges of the nobility were also repealed in 2003 with the exception apparently of an old ordinance that reserves to the nobility the right to use certain elements in their coats of arms such as helms with open visors and supporters (a "commoner" who uses those elements in his/her coat of arms is subject to a fine).



As a result of the 2003 reforms , all regulations pertaining to the Swedish nobility have been de facto removed from Swedish public law although the nobility properly was not abolished or disbanded and is still governed by the House of Nobility Act and ordinances now approved solely by the Meetings of the Nobility. As a private corporation, the Swedish nobility owns the building of the House of Nobility and its respective archives and mantains the directory of the officially recognized nobility whose adult members are still subject to the head tax.



Given that the King, since 1975, can no longer grant nobility, and given that it is no longer possible for previously ennobled families to seek extraordinary introduction in the House of Nobility, it follows that the Swedish nobility is now a closed class so to speak, restricted only to those families who were introduced in the House prior to 2003.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about British Styles and Titles summrbrew2 British Royals 5265 Today 08:48 AM
News from the Spanish Nobility Lia Royal Family of Spain 700 08-11-2020 04:47 AM
Jewels of the British Nobility Julia Royal Jewels 337 07-26-2020 08:13 AM
Countess Elisabeth d'Udekem d'Acoz & Marquis Alfonso Pallavicini - 20 & 22 July 2006 Hannelore Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility 151 04-03-2015 06:52 PM
Questions About Royalty aj00192557 Royal Ceremony and Protocol 60 01-01-2015 06:42 PM




Popular Tags
anastasia once upon a time ancestry armstrong-jones belgian royal family belgium chittagong countess of snowdon cover-up crown princess victoria danish royalty dna dubai dutch royal family dutch royals emperor family tree games haakon vii henry v hill history house of bourbon house of glucksburg interesting introduction israel italian royal family jumma kids movie king salman list of rulers mailing mary: crown princess of denmark monaco history monogram nepalese royal jewels nobel prize norwegian royal family prince charles prince dimitri princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen mathilde queen maud rown royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding saudi arabia serbian royal family shakespeare spain spanish royal spencer family startling new evidence sweden swedish history thailand tracts united states of america unsubscribe videos wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×