State Visit from Brazil to Sweden: September 11-12, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boris

Heir Presumptive
City
Los Angeles
Country
United States
It has just been confirmed that His Excellency The President of Brazil will pay a state visit to Sweden from September 11 - 12, 2007.
King Carl XIV Gustaf & Queen Silvia paid a state visit to Brazil in April 1984.
There has never been an incoming return state visit from Brazil during the present King's reign, and of course it might be something of a special occasion for Queen Silvia as she is half-Brazilian through her late mother, Alice de Toledo.

It has just been confirmed that His Excellency The President of Brazil will pay a state visit to Sweden from September 11 - 12, 2007.
King Carl XIV Gustaf & Queen Silvia paid a state visit to Brazil in April 1984.
There has never been an incoming return state visit from Brazil during the present King's reign, and of course it might be something of a special occasion for Queen Silvia as she is half-Brazilian through her late mother, Alice de Toledo.

Excellent!! Lulu da Silva has never been a favorite of mine but this is just another occasion to see my lovely Queen (hopefully) bejeweled to the nines. :wub:

I hope so too, 'Drottning' - the only one who might put the 'grandeur' of the inevitable gala dinner given by the Swedish RC in jeopardy is President Lulu da Silva himself, because of his unfortunate habit of showing up in business suit & tie even for the grandest of Royal banquets.
But 23 years is a quite long time for a return state visit to finally materialize, so I hope that Queen Silvia might pull out all the stops, with the obvious choice being the large Braganca diamond tiara plus the Brazilan diamond brooch and earrings.
Of course everything has to remain speculation until September, but it would be such a nice & appropriate gesture, just like QE II wore her Brazilian aquamarines for the recent dinner she gave for the Brazilian president.

Wow, state visits to Denmark, Sweden and Norway, what a week for us royaltywatchers :D

But 23 years is a quite long time for a return state visit to finally materialize, so I hope that Queen Silvia might pull out all the stops, with the obvious choice being the large Braganca diamond tiara plus the Brazilan diamond brooch and earrings.

Excellent choice!!!! She looks amazing in that tiara:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

I hope so too, 'Drottning' - the only one who might put the 'grandeur' of the inevitable gala dinner given by the Swedish RC in jeopardy is President Lulu da Silva himself, because of his unfortunate habit of showing up in business suit & tie even for the grandest of Royal banquets.
Of course everything has to remain speculation until September, but it would be such a nice & appropriate gesture, just like QE II wore her Brazilian aquamarines for the recent dinner she gave for the Brazilian president.

I would love to see that tiara again, it is my favorite. However, I believe Silvia only wears it for visits from other heads of state (but i may be wrong).

Nevertheless, I'd like to see a new dress from Silvia and Victoria. I do hope Madeleine attends the dinner as well.

It's true that Queen Silvia used to wear the big 'whopper' diamond Braganca tiara only as a tribute for the welcome gala during incoming state visits of foreign Royals (or official portraits) for the first 25 years of being Queen.
She started this tradition when she wore the Braganca tiara for the first time in its full size (plus the detachable parts at the sides) for the 1983 state visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Sweden.
Recently she has broken with this tradition, wearing the Braganca tiara for the King's 60th birthday as well as for the state visit to Denmark - the only time ever she wore this tiara abroad.
So my guess is that the next occasion to see this tiara might very well be in September for the incoming Brazilian state visit.

As the state visit will start today I wondered if a programme has been released yet?

Present: King, Queen, Crown Princess, Princess Madeleine, Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson. (And others)

Crown Princess Victoria is in a new stunning dress, very youthful and majestic at the same time (sort of light gold cream colour). The Queen recycles from the state visit to Denmark (the aqua/green-ish thing) plus Leuchtenberg sapphires.

Last edited:
Does anyone have access to pictures from the state dinner?

Thanks guys for the pictures! Wow! All new dresses! I especially love Madeleine's, but I don't care for her choice of tiara. I was hoping for the Braganza for the Queen, but I see she opted for one of her favorites. Victoria looked stunning also. And as always, Carl Phillip is handsome!!

Queen Silvia doesn't wear a new dress, it's recycled from the state visit to Denmark. This being a state visit from the country she grew up in, I had hoped for a new dress, but she looks great as usual and the wonderful Leuchtenberg sapphires actually work in combination with the ice-green color of the gown. CP Victoria & Princess Madeleine both very nice, I just wish Madeleine would stop hiding the aquamarine tiara in her hair.
But why doesn't the Royal Family receive their guests in the 'White Sea' ballroom anymore? That background was so much better than this rather plain white walled room they've been using now and already for the Chinese state visit.

I can't recall, but is this right that the Queen and the Crown Princess wear the Swedish Order?

The way the diademe was placed on Crown Princess Victoria's hairdo was downright horrible!

Such a beautiful and stylish diademe and then place it with visible framework. The iron frame of a diademe should be invisible, when placed properly!

If the diademe was worn correctly, Crown Princess Victoria was near perfection.

:flowers:

I can't recall, but is this right that the Queen and the Crown Princess wear the Swedish Order?

No. The Swedish royals wore Brazilean Orders. The Order of the Southern Cross for The King, the Queen and the Crown Princess. Lower Orders for Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more with Henri M. - it's a pity that CP Victoria's hairdresser doesn't know how to place the amethyst tiara correctly.
In answer to HMQueenElizabethII: Queen Silvia and CP Victoria are wearing Brazilian orders. The Brazilian sash is also light blue like the Swedish, but much wider. Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Madeleine received orders of a lesser degree.

The way the diademe was placed on Crown Princess Victoria's hairdo was downright horrible!

Such a beautiful and stylish diademe and then place it with visible framework. The iron frame of a diademe should be invisible, when placed properly!

If the diademe was worn correctly, Crown Princess Victoria was near perfection.

It is very difficult to wear that diademe good if you don´t have a "fluffy" hairstyle beacuse the actual jewels sits so hight up from the frame, it´s a shame that they made it that way and i think that they should reset it on a new and lovere frame so that the base doesn´t show that much. Looks like Victoria have found herself a new favorite dress style, wonder how many she has ordered, we have already seen 2-3 of the same design... But i think it is very beautiful and fits her really good.

All the Royal women looked stunning, IMO.
Victoria's new dress is a dream! It suits her very well!
Silvia's dress is nice, too. The color is just perfect for her. She's so elegant.
Madeleine's dress is pretty, but I really don't like the Tiara... it was ok when she was younger.. but nowadays she need something bigger...you nearly don't see it in her big hairdo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just the dress... or did Madeleine gain some weight the last time?
Picture
(Polfoto)

I hate to pick on weight, but that was the first thing I thought as well. Maybe it's just the dress. I thought Victoria looked great. It's nice to see all the new dresses. It's quite an exciting week, with three state visits in a row!

I personally would love to see the Cr. Princess in her sisters dress. I think the color would look lovely on her and the style and cut of the dress very flattering on her. A big departure from what we usually see on her.
Not very fond of the Queens dress. Very busy style.
Aside from that, the ladies looked very lovely.
Thank you everyone for posting the pictures. (but it seems that all the pics from polofoto do not open up).

Outfits

I loved both Crown Princess Victoria's daytime outfit and her evening gown, she looked stunning. :queen4:

The diadem worn by HRH The Crown Princess Victoria, Duchess of Västergötland is really quite unflattering. Never liked it and no doubt never shall.

HM The Queen looked quite good. She wears that parure so so well. I often think It looks as if it were made for her.

And HRH The Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland looked exquisite and if she has put on a few pounds, It seems to suit her. She looked beautiful even with that horrible little "tiara".

Last edited:
Maybe it wasn't Victoria best hairstyle ever... but I still like it!
Victoria's hairdo
(Polfoto)

Is it just the dress... or did Madeleine gain some weight the last time?
Picture
(Polfoto)

All the Royal women looked stunning, IMO.
Victoria's new dress is a dream! It suits her very well!
Silvia's dress is nice, too. The color is just perfect for her. She's so elegant.
Madeleine's dress is pretty, but I really don't like the Tiara... it was ok when she was younger.. but nowadays she need something bigger...you nearly don't see it in her big hairdo.

Thank you for commenting on the what appears to be Madeleine's weight gain. It could be the dress, the angle of the photo???? However, her face is a bit fuller than usual.

I think Queen Silvia and Victoria look very lovely. I really like Victoria's dress, it's new but the top part is a similar style to a previously worn dress. Madeleine's dress I'm not so sure about. At first glance my thought was, yuk! Now that I have looked at a few more pictures of her I'm trying to like it. But I'm really undecided about it. Biggest criticism is, the neckline being that low. As for the possible weight gain I've thought that for some time now. I think way back when she came back from New York is when I first thought that. Although it's not a big deal she looks lovely. Maybe she's one of those where her weight fluctuates at different times. However, tonight I think the dress is just not working for her.

Interesting thought from the poster that suggested Madeleine's dress on Victoria, I agree as far as the color goes. But not so sure the overall style(neckline) would be good for Victoria. One thing about Victoria is she seems to be the more modest sister, and for good reason!

Last edited:
*swoons over Carl Philip* :wub.

I loved Victoria she looks so beautiful. Madeline, I support the weight thingy, look at her arms they look chubby and with that heavy tan of hers that olive green doesnt look good, probably if she wasnt so tanned the dress would look better on her. Also she looks like she is 5 years older than Victoria!.

Back
Top Bottom