State Visit from Botswana to Sweden: March 21-24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen looked very nice at the gala - I don't really know whether I care for Victoria's new "style" - seems a bit ...less elegant compared to the queen?! :)

I love Queen Silvia's updo, it is very grand.

This is one of the tiaras that suit Victoria the best:cool: :)

crisiñaki said:
This is one of the tiaras that suit Victoria the best:cool: :)

Yes, the Baden Fringe looks wonderful on Victoria. It surely is one of my favourite tiara's! :)

Hmm, I like Victoria's look with the tilt of the hat and the jacket. It looks quite pulled together and stylish to me. Only complaint I have is the hemline of the dress which cuts her leg off at an unflattering place.

The Baden fringe tiara as always is quite stunning. In fact both the Queen and Victoria have stunning tiaras.

ursulajohanna said:
Many thanks to all for posting the lovely pictures from the first day of state visit from Botswana.

The queen and crown princess wear dark colours because the short death of queens brother. But they look beautiful and royal in her dresses.

What did visit the king and queen with the guests yesterday afternoon?
Is that why they wore dark colors or is that why you think they wore dark colors?

Sylvia's hair is magnificently styled, as always. The court hairdresser is very skilled.

I don't think it s the jacket length that's the problem, I think its the boot length.

seto said:
I don't think it s the jacket length that's the problem, I think its the boot length.

I wasn't referring to the jacket length - that looks fine. But the dress cuts across her legs at the fattest part and with the boots right under it, it acceutuates the chunkiness. I think she could have moved the hemline either just above the knee or below the boot and it would have looked more elegant.

What was the program of the state visit yesterday? Royalcourt hasn't wrote an information on the website!

And is today a further official program with the king and queen?

ursulajohanna said:
What was the program of the state visit yesterday? Royalcourt hasn't wrote an information on the website!

And is today a further official program with the king and queen?
The Information and Press Department at the Royal Court seems to have as some kind of policy not to make the schedules for state visits etc public on their website for example. I think they should, it would make it possible for people to turn up at different spots to see the royals, and it's always nice to know what they're up too.... Maybe there's a security reason behind it, I don't know...

To get the full programme one has to visit the Ministry for Foreign Affairs' Press Room (one has to be a member of the press to get access to it), or contact the Information and Press Department...

I know that yesterday there was a visit to Scania in the municipality of Södertälje on the agenda, and then a luncheon hosted by the City of Stockholm at the City Hall. And today there is a visit to Ericsson planned, and various engagements in the City of Uppsala during the day.

Yesterday a visit to Scania in the municipality of Södertälje, in Stockholm County, was one of the activities on the agenda for the State Visit. All I've managed to find is three pictures of the King trying out one of their trucks, along with a few articles on him commenting the dangers of the big and heavy trucks of our modern times (there have been quite a few big accidents were the weight have played a role)... No pictures of the Queen (if she was there, don't know) or the President of Botswana... :(

Here are the ones I could find, the first three are by Maja Suslin/Scanpix via Expressen, and the last one is by Paola Noordh via Länstidningen.

Attachments

• Scania1.jpg
    Scania1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Scania2.jpg
    Scania2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Scania3.jpg
    Scania3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Scania, Paola Noordh LT.jpg
    Scania, Paola Noordh LT.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
GrandDuchess, thanks for the information about the program at yesterday. I think the king and president was by Scania and the women-program was another one.
I hope we will know it asap and see nice pictures from the queen, the crown princess and the Mrs. Mogae.
Did yesterday evening a return-Dinner (perhaps in Grand Hotel).

I hope we will see pictures from the visit at Uppsala today!

robby86 said:
Is that why they wore dark colors or is that why you think they wore dark colors?
That is true why she wore dark colours and not why I think it! ;)

Queen Silvia at the Luncheon at Grand Hotel of Stockhol on March 22nd, 2006

(from BrunoPress)

Attachments

• ste_botswana's_s_532510.jpg
    ste_botswana's_s_532510.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 302
  • ste_botswana's_s_532511.jpg
    ste_botswana's_s_532511.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 287
  • ste_botswana's_s_532512.jpg
    ste_botswana's_s_532512.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 354
  • ste_botswana's_s_532513.jpg
    ste_botswana's_s_532513.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 281
more from the Gala Banquet, from BrunoPress

Attachments

• ste_state_visit__531530.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531530.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 258
  • ste_state_visit__531531.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531531.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 295
  • ste_state_visit__531533.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531533.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 311
  • ste_state_visit__531536.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531536.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 287
  • ste_state_visit__531537.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531537.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 298
  • ste_state_visit__531538.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531538.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 301
  • ste_state_visit__531539.jpg
    ste_state_visit__531539.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 334
GrandDuchess said:
Yesterday a visit to Scania in the municipality of Södertälje, in Stockholm County, was one of the activities on the agenda for the State Visit. All I've managed to find is three pictures of the King trying out one of their trucks, along with a few articles on him commenting the dangers of the big and heavy trucks of our modern times (there have been quite a few big accidents were the weight have played a role)... No pictures of the Queen (if she was there, don't know) or the President of Botswana... :(

Here are the ones I could find, the first three are by Maja Suslin/Scanpix via Expressen, and the last one is by Paola Noordh via Länstidningen.

Now we know where did Victoria take her love for big trucks (check the Australian Visit thread and you'll know why);) :D :D :D :D

ursulajohanna said:
Here a link to royalcourt. They give the information that the royal couple with guest visit yesterday Uppsala University, Ängstromlabor and Lunch at castle, further the Dom-church and African Institut.

http://www.royalcourt.se/kungafamil...llahandelser/5.1768b0a10a11dc6ebe8000323.html

I hope we will see pictures from the visit asap.

The King & the President visit Ångströmlaboratoriet in Uppsala
(picture from scanpix via royalcourt.se)

picture of King Carl Gustav yesterday, when visiting Scania

(from BT)

Attachments

• 329134_large.jpg
    329134_large.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 272
I don't know, but I think it in Grand Hotel. Unfortunatelly without pictures for us.

And also no pictures from visit at Södertälje (Ladies) and Uppsala.

Sean.~ said:
Was there a return banquet at all?

Hmm, it's hard to believe that there was no return banquet (full gala or not!) on this state visit. There must have been, so I miss the pics too!
I like the fact that the Swedish RF doesn't make a big difference when it comes to the globally recognized status of countries paying state visits.
They remain elegant, glittering and do their best to pay their respects no matter if it's Royalty visiting or representatives from more or less poltically 'important' democracies.
Not every Royal Family does this - some of them noticeably dress down for whatever they consider 'lesser' state visits. Very nice touch by the Swedish RF not to do so, IMO.
On a more supeficial note: When it comes to the topic of 'Tiara and hair', nobody does it better than Queen Silvia. Gorgeous, once again.

Boris said:
Hmm, it's hard to believe that there was no return banquet (full gala or not!) on this state visit. There must have been, so I miss the pics too!
Of course there was some kind of return arrangement, there always is. But due to the fact that the Swedish press isn't very interested in most of the incoming state visits (or outgoing ones either for that matter) - except the big photo agencies we have no access too - this is what happens. No pictures from most of the events.

There's always a full schedule for the state visits, all of the days, and on this one the royal couple even chose to host their guests all of the days (instead of leaving one of the days to the state/government to handle, like they usually do) and go with them to almost all of the things on the agenda.

I hope Svensk Damtidning might have some more pictures next week, they're my last hope... This week they only had pictures from the gala dinner at the Royal Palace, but those we've already seen.

Boris said:
I like the fact that the Swedish RF doesn't make a big difference when it comes to the globally recognized status of countries paying state visits.
They remain elegant, glittering and do their best to pay their respects no matter if it's Royalty visiting or representatives from more or less poltically 'important' democracies.
Not every Royal Family does this - some of them noticeably dress down for whatever they consider 'lesser' state visits.

I think that's a bit of an unfair assumption - state visits are dictated by protocol and where things change, they are done for a reason (eg. sometimes the president/leader is a dubious character/dictator). Let's not forget it's "nothing for nothing" in today's world: the MAIN reason behind everything is always "propserity". Botswana has just about the strongest currency on the continent and has a wealth of mineral deposits like Platinum/Uranium, etc...:rolleyes:

ursulajohanna said:
Unfortunatelly I can find any pictures of the state visit in Sweden!
Perhaps can anyone help me and search again, thanks!

I'd be very surprised if you found anything. This part of the world is dominated by the British colonial history and subsequent influence. It came as a shocking surprise when in 1981, thanks to Charles & Di's wedding, I suddenly realized there were OTHER ruling royal families. They are hardly covered in the media here - even when there is a state visit by a royal head of state!! But let the queen of England set foot on the continent...

also from Cover :

from the gala banquet

luncheon (the 2nd day)

visit "scania"

Back
Top Bottom