Royal Transportation (Cars, Carriages, etc)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happy_27

Commoner
Hi
Does anyone know what type of cars members of the Royal Family drive, both for personal use and official?

Thanks

the family have several cars for daily use... BMW, Saab, a Jeep and ofcourse a Volvo =)

Attachments

• PRIVAT_BIL_97.jpg
    PRIVAT_BIL_97.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,881
car flag

Attachments

• IML_SCANPIX_1000045677.jpg
    IML_SCANPIX_1000045677.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 553
A reminder to please NOT post images directly to the forum as it drains our bandwidth. Please post images as links instead. Any images posted directly to the forum following this post may be removed.

Alexandria

The Crown Princess does not drive herself, she is taken by the Royal Court's cars and her SÄPO guards also function as drivers. I think the car most often used is a BMW, a grey one.

Princess Madeleine used to drive, but is currently not doing that because the security around her has been tightened. She didn't even have to have SÄPO protection with her, but could move around as she wanted. Currently she is ordered to have two SÄPO guards with her, and is also driven in cars by them. When she drove herself (maybe she'll do that again if the security situation is reassessed), she was seen driving a green Pajero.

Good to know, that she now has bodyguards! I remember, that we´ve discuessed this topic on this board before...IMO it was crossly negligent, that she went so long through the streets of Stockholm without protection!
But I wonder, why Victoria never drives herself...yes, I know it´s part of the training of bodyguards to drive a car even in the most dangerous situations...but it was also reported, that Victoria from time to time goes with Daniel in his car...and Daniel also isn´t a bodyguard! I know, that she has a driver´s licence, and I believe to remember, that she once said in an interview , that she really has learned driving in the USA...so why doesn´t she practise this in Sweden? I doubt, that it would be very dangerous to drive the car self (and the SÄPO would sit next to her) and as much as I know the crown princes in the other countries also drive from time to time...

Yennie  Posted: Jan 25th, 2004 - 6:07 am

the family have several cars for daily use... BMW, Saab, a Jeep and of course a Volvo
I thought the King had a Ferrari Testarosa ????

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 15th, 2004 - 10:33 pm
But I wonder, why Victoria never drives herself...yes, I know it´s part of the training of bodyguards to drive a car even in the most dangerous situations...but it was also reported, that Victoria from time to time goes with Daniel in his car...and Daniel also isn´t a bodyguard! I know, that she has a driver´s licence, and I believe to remember, that she once said in an interview , that she really has learned driving in the USA...so why doesn´t she practise this in Sweden? I doubt, that it would be very dangerous to drive the car self (and the SÄPO would sit next to her) and as much as I know the crown princes in the other countries also drive from time to time...
The Crown Princess doesn’t drive because of security reasons, and her security guards are well-trained persons who do NOT drive for practice. When she goes in a car with Daniel, her security guards are always with them.

She did drive in the USA, because her life over there was almost as for a normal person. There was not the same security estimates as it is in Europe where people knows who she is.

To King Christian - The King has a whole fleet of cars, which of one is most probably the one you mentioned. However, he does not use these cars in everyday life, but is then driven in the cars of the Royal Court by their chauffeurs, and the car brands used daily are Volvo, BMW and Merecedes.

Perhaps the Crown Princess drives on private land where nobody knows she does it so she can give herself a little spin?

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:33 pm
I know, that she has a driver´s licence, and I believe to remember, that she once said in an interview , that she really has learned driving in the USA...so why doesn´t she practise this in Sweden? I doubt, that it would be very dangerous to drive the car self (and the SÄPO would sit next to her) and as much as I know the crown princes in the other countries also drive from time to time...
Maybe she doesn't like to drive? A lot of people have their drivers licence, even a car, and hate driving (such as myself).

Calle and Poldi ;)

Caption: King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden, right, and Prince Leopold Von Bayern of Germany wave as they start in Brescia, Italy, Thursday, May 22, 2003 to attend the Mille Miglia vintage cars races.

I doubt, that this is the car of the king...I just wanted to show, how crazy he´s for cars. I´ve seen a report about this race (there´s about 1000 miles to drive) at the german TV-programme "Royalty"...and I´ve seen the king seldom before that happy and relaxed...

Yes, quite cute. Looks like Victoria but his hair is like Carl Philip`s.

The royal family has several cars and is often seen driving around in Stockholm. The exeption is Silvia, she dont like driving in Stockholm and mostly drives when she´s on Öland...

here´s some different photos of the royals driving :)

Attachments

• student77.JPG
    student77.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 520
  • gelleråsen2.JPG
    gelleråsen2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 769
  • Ritvasphotofrom20040714.JPG
    Ritvasphotofrom20040714.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 856
  • CarlPhilipbil.JPG
    CarlPhilipbil.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 621
  • car17juli2004.JPG
    car17juli2004.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 770
  • RitvasphotoSolliden040716.JPG
    RitvasphotoSolliden040716.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 632
  • gymcar4.JPG
    gymcar4.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,129
  • car22juni.JPG
    car22juni.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,971
my "royals and cars" photos are all posted so now I´m going to move on to other non-car transportations :)

ski - the royal family outside their cottage in Storlien
horse - Madeleine competing
snow scooter - Madeleine and Jonas in Sälen 2003
canoe - holiday on Mauritius in 1998
boat - summer of 2003, in Kalmarsund
sleigh - winter holiday in Storlien
pedalo - Mauritius, 1998
skate - Madeleine skating with her friends in Stockholm
waverunner - the king and Victoria at Öland
bicycle - Victoria riding her bike on the grounds of Solliden

Attachments

• summer2003.JPG
    summer2003.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,753
  • mauritius2.jpg
    mauritius2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,762
  • barn8.jpg
    barn8.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 442
  • mauritius19982.jpg
    mauritius19982.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 663
  • sälen8.JPG
    sälen8.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 737
  • horse32.JPG
    horse32.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 403
  • FMP-15-04-2588.JPG
    FMP-15-04-2588.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 580
  • madde skridskor.JPG
    madde skridskor.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 551
  • vattenskooter.jpg
    vattenskooter.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 478
  • solliden922.JPG
    solliden922.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
The Swedish King and his cars (BMW M5)

Here you can read about a discussion about his favourite car, the BMW M5 taken place in 1997.

Here you can read about his decline to a honorary membershipon m5board.com and to be shown the new BMW M5.

Any questions you might have you can ask me. See m5board.com for more info :D

Here you can read
about the Prince of Sweden attending the launch of the Ferrari F430.

Here you can read about the King attending a track event in his Porsche 996 GT3.

Here is his visit to another "car nut", the Sultan of Brunei.

Here his participation in Mille Miglia with Prince Leopold of Bavaria.

Here about his BMW M1 testdrive in the late 70.

Click here about him shopping for cars in Saint Tropez.

Here about him visiting Ferrari in Italy.

Here about him in Stockholm in his M5.

Race with the King.

Short encounter again.

About him renewing his papers own the M5.

kungenbrev5kz.jpg

dsc021117df.jpg

So that was some car related info on the King of Sweden :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post, TGTG. It´s interesting to read about the King and his love of cars.

Swedish royal family now using Bentleys for transport?

Hi,

when I was looking at the photos of the Norwegian Royals visiting Stockholm and the Swedish royal family for the Centennial celebrations I noticed that the cars used for transport seem to be new Bentley Flying Spurs.

Does anyone know if these are now official transport for the Swedish Royals, and if so, how long they have been in use? From the photos there seems to be at least two of the Bentleys ans you can see the royal crown on the spot for the licence plates and a sticker with a blue and yellow royal arms and crown.

Cheers

Davo

PS I also found the following link which also records HM Queen Silvia riding in a Bentley for a recent engagement in Germany.

"A royal visit was the outstanding highlight of the Rolex Baltic Week on Sunday 21 August, Her Royal Highness Queen Silvia of Sweden honoured the event with her attendance to start the Charity Race of the Dragons in supporting the World Childhood Foundation, which the Queen herself founded in 1999.

Proving once again that he is a man of the people, Schleswig-Holstein's Prime Minister, Peter Harry CARSTENSEN made his way across the event area of the Rolex Baltic Week in the Ancora Marina, Neustadt, to personally greet Queen Silvia. She came to the regatta venue in a luxurious Bentley and gave waves and smiles to the several hundred spectators. Queen Silvia and Peter Harry Carstensen then boarded the 65-foot Maranatha that served as the committee boat for the charity race preceding the Hanseatic Lloyd Dragon World Championships that will begin on Monday 22 August. Race fees, donations and the bids of an auction summed to more than 110,000 Euros. The money raised will be used for abused and exploited children worldwide."

http://www.sailing.org/default.asp?ID=j6fFh5?k~&format=popup
http://www.bymnews.com/new/content/view/16560/48/

http://www.bentleymotors.com for more on the Bentley Flying Spur

Attachments

• COLOUR10285804.jpg
    COLOUR10285804.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 545
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 469
  • {6273BB56-35C5-4581-A779-B3E67B016A74}.jpg
    {6273BB56-35C5-4581-A779-B3E67B016A74}.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 568
  • COLOUR10285801.jpg
    COLOUR10285801.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 380
  • COLOUR10286953.jpg
    COLOUR10286953.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 415
That Bentley is registred in Great Britatin, and is not the Royal family of Swedens car. However they have an old Daimler limousine.

So the Bentleys are on hire to the Swedish Royal Mews?

TGTG wrote:
That Bentley is registred in Great Britatin, and is not the Royal family of Swedens car. However they have an old Daimler limousine.

So the two cars have been hired/leased by the Palace for this occasion? They have displayed the licence plates with the Royal Crown over any other plates and there's that sticker on the back window. Would they be on trial?

How are the Swedish royal cars normally distinguised - besides any banners/flags on the front?

thanks in advance

Davo

Attachments

• COLOUR10285803.jpg
    COLOUR10285803.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 325
  • COLOUR10285805.jpg
    COLOUR10285805.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 310
  • IML_SCANPIX_1000045677.jpg
    IML_SCANPIX_1000045677.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 365
TGTG said:

:) The Bentley marked with the Crown belong's to the Swedish Royal car park in 'Hovstallet'. I don´t know anything about the Brittish one.:confused:

SÄPO and the Royal court recently bougt a new bulletproof saftey car for Victoria when she is on official dutys. It's a BMW but everything about the car is secret. :cool:

I have heard that the son of princess Christina (mrs. magnuson) is the ceo of the Bentley stockholm. So family has natural contacts to bentley, if it is true.

pressa83 said:
I have heard that the son of princess Christina (mrs. magnuson) is the ceo of the Bentley stockholm. So family has natural contacts to bentley, if it is true.
He is "only" the Marketing Director for the Swedish branch of Bentley, located at the posh street Strandvägen in Stockholm.

What kind of car does Victoria have? Does the family own the cars or are they owned by the state?

robby86 said:
What kind of car does Victoria have? Does the family own the cars or are they owned by the state?
I don't think the Crown Princess has a car which she drives herself, she is instead driven by chauffeurs and accompanied by security guards when she goes somewhere. Princess Madeleine and Prince Carl Philip do drive however.

The cars and such used by the Royal Family for official business are registered to The Royal Mews, but I think that the King has a few gems (Porshe, Maserati and perhaps some old classics) which he owns privately too since it's one of his passions.

Princess Madeleine drives her Lexus and I suppose she owns it, or perhaps daddy does :)

Victoria doesnt drive herself, SÄPO drives her around and they have several "protected" cars. I think I read in Svensk Damtidning a few weeks ago that Victoria had got a new safety Mercedes or BMW or something like that (cars isnt my "thing" :D )

kings ucle, prince bertil, had bugatti classic racing car. Do you know if king or princes Lilian still owns it?

Hi,
I would like some informations about Prince Carl Philip.Do they have one?

Back
Top Bottom