Religion of the Swedish Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robby86

Nobility
City
Tucson
Country
United States
What religion is the Royal family? If Victroia wanted could she change her religion, or would she have to abdicate? What is a confermation, and what does it intale?

robby86 said:
What religion is the Royal family? If Victroia wanted could she change her religion, or would she have to abdicate? What is a confermation, and what does it intale?

All members of the Royal Family belongs to the Church of Sweden, which is an Evangelical Lutheran Church. Evangelical for its basis in the Gospel of the Bible. Lutheran because it is founded on the reform work of 16th century German priest, Martin Luther. No member of the Royal Family who is in the Line of Succession can change their religion, if they do so they loose their place in it. This is all stated in the Act of Succession's 4th chapter:

"§ 4. Såsom 2 § i 1809 års regeringsform uttryckligen stadgar, att
Konung alltid skall vara av den rena evangeliska läran, sådan som den,
uti den oförändrade Augsburgiska bekännelsen, samt Uppsala mötes
beslut av år 1593, antagen och förklarad är, sålunda skola ock prinsar
och prinsessor av det kungl. huset uppfödas i samma lära och inom
riket. Den av kungl. familjen som ej sig till samma lära bekänner,
vare från all successionsrätt utesluten. Lag (1979:935)"

GrandDuchess said:
All members of the Royal Family belongs to the Church of Sweden, which is an Evangelical Lutheran Church. Evangelical for its basis in the Gospel of the Bible. Lutheran because it is founded on the reform work of 16th century German priest, Martin Luther. No member of the Royal Family who is in the Line of Succession can change their religion, if they do so they loose their place in it.
But as Sweden is member of the EU and the EU contract forbids discrimination of religions you/a prince or princess could sue against this law. I think its quite likely that Sweden would be requested to change this law by the EU.

mixer2002de said:
But as Sweden is member of the EU and the EU contract forbids discrimination of religions you/a prince or princess could sue against this law. I think its quite likely that Sweden would be requested to change this law by the EU.

Nope. This kind of law exists in many monarchies (the one in the UK is even tougher, where it states they can't marry catholics), because it evolves around the highest ranked person in the country.

It is is also the right of every country to have a State Religion if they choose.

The discrimination because of religion is an entire different thing, it's called "freedom of religion". In Sweden the freedom of religion is a part of the constitution, and I believe it is the case also in many other countries.

mixer2002de said:

Here is the correct answer: Royalty is not covered by European Union laws on fairness in employment.

In 2000 the swedish state and the lutheran church were seperated. The king is head of the state...but this didn´t apply to the king?? I ask because I could swear, that I´ve read that the monarchy and the lutheran church were seperated too, but the Royal familiy should have said, that they would stay lutheran protestants.

Lena said:
In 2000 the swedish state and the lutheran church were seperated. The king is head of the state...but this didn´t apply to the king?? I ask because I could swear, that I´ve read that the monarchy and the lutheran church were seperated too, but the Royal familiy should have said, that they would stay lutheran protestants.

Yes, the State and the Church of Sweden was separated in 2000. I merely pointed out that it is the right of every country to have a State Religion.

When it comes to the Royal Family, it is an entire different thing since it has to do with tradition and the Constitution.

You also have to remember that whenever a country changes text in the constitution, the very base of the country, the decisions in Parliament needs to be taken with broad consent, if not consensus since it’s going to apply for a long time forward and because of the weight and importance of the Constitution... And by this time, in 1997/98 when the separation of the State and Church of Sweden was being prepared in both the Parliament and the Church of Sweden itself – there was no unity whatsoever.

Konstitutionsutskottet (the Committee on the Constitution) said in its submitted report at that time (1997/98) this issue should “be solved only when it’s more rooted in the society”. What their report says can be interpreted into that the Committee agrees that the fourth chapter in the Act of Succession is out-of-date and as a matter of principle also doubtful, but that they felt that the Parliament should not challenge those who would object to this reform.

The Office of The Marshal of The Realm also wrote in a statement that the Royal Court wanted the profession of faith to remain in the Act of Succession.

The Church Committee and the Church of Sweden itself also felt ready to drop the requirement for the profession of faith.

With consideration to the very different statements by the groups that had the document for consideration, the Government didn’t feel ready to propose the change.

But its just the King and the crownprincess that has to stay lutheran?
The rest of the family is free to choose what church they want to belong to right?

Yennie said:
But its just the King and the crownprincess that has to stay lutheran? The rest of the family is free to choose what church they want to belong to right?

All members of the Royal Family who are the Line of Succession has to be members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. If one of them choose to change their religion, they lose their position in the Line of Succession. I think this will be changed eventually (since it was investigated to a wide extent in the separation of the State and the Church of Sweden), but it will take some time...

The Chapter in the Act of Succession:

"§ 4. Såsom 2 § i 1809 års regeringsform uttryckligen stadgar, att
Konung alltid skall vara av den rena evangeliska läran, sådan som den,
uti den oförändrade Augsburgiska bekännelsen, samt Uppsala mötes
beslut av år 1593, antagen och förklarad är, sålunda skola ock prinsar
och prinsessor av det kungl. huset uppfödas i samma lära och inom
riket. Den av kungl. familjen som ej sig till samma lära bekänner,
vare från all successionsrätt utesluten
. Lag (1979:935)"

Back
Top Bottom