Relationships Between Members of the Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it's a different message, that don't mean anything. Victoria & Madeleine has welcomed Sofia to the family in many ways. They both very happily invited her to their weddings and baby christenings. Sofia was even pictured in the official photographs during Madeleine's wedding celebrations. They all seem very close and it's very evident.

Victoria and Madeleine didn't invite Sofia to anywhere. Sofia wasn't invited at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding. According to the swedish press the king and the queen were the hosts at Madeleine's wedding and the Marshal of the Realm sent the invitations on their names. The invitations to Estelle's and Leonore's christening said "The King and Queen invite..."
Så ser inbjudningskortet till dopet ut! | Hovbloggen
http://a.cdn-expressen.se/ImageHand...2c4-bf8fc303b65c&imageFormat=secondColumn-4x3
It has been told many times in swedish press and in TV-interviews that the king makes the final decisions. Victoria and Madeleine couldn't change the royal etiquette. The swedish press has told that Sofia asked Carl Philip to press the king that she was invited to Estelle's christening. And because Sofia was invited, also Chris was invited. So the king changed the etiquette, one could attend at the royal events even though one wasn't engaged with a royal family member.
But what has been noticeable, Sofia (or Chris) hasn't attended at the concert on Victoria's birthday. Daniel couldn't attend before they were engaged, so Sofia or Chris couldn't attend either. The court doesn't organize the concert. Either the decision is made by Victoria, or the king sees the concert as a state event. We all remember that Sofia wasn't invited to king's 40th Jubilee events, but she was invited to queen Sofia's 70th birthday concert.

It was the king and queen who first showed themselves with Carl Philip and Sofia at a holiday in St. Tropez. Victoria, Daniel, Madeleine and Chris were with Carl Philip and Sofia at a concert in Borgholm in July 2012, it looked like a PR-move by the court. Madeleine was once photographed at a lunch with Carl Philip and Sofia after it was written many times at the swedish press that Madeleine can't stand Sofia at all. So it looked like a PR-move ordered by the king.

Last edited:
Victoria and Madeleine didn't invite Sofia to anywhere. Sofia wasn't invited at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding. According to the swedish press the king and the queen were the hosts at Madeleine's wedding and the Marshal of the Realm sent the invitations on their names. The invitations to Estelle's and Leonore's christening said "The King and Queen invite..."
Så ser inbjudningskortet till dopet ut! | Hovbloggen
http://a.cdn-expressen.se/ImageHand...2c4-bf8fc303b65c&imageFormat=secondColumn-4x3
It has been told many times in swedish press and in TV-interviews that the king makes the final decisions. Victoria and Madeleine couldn't change the royal etiquette. The swedish press has told that Sofia asked Carl Philip to press the king that she was invited to Estelle's christening. And because Sofia was invited, also Chris was invited. So the king changed the etiquette, one could attend at the royal events even though one wasn't engaged with a royal family member.
But what has been noticeable, Sofia (or Chris) hasn't attended at the concert on Victoria's birthday. Daniel couldn't attend before they were engaged, so Sofia or Chris couldn't attend either. The court doesn't organize the concert. Either the decision is made by Victoria, or the king sees the concert as a state event. We all remember that Sofia wasn't invited to king's 40th Jubilee events, but she was invited to queen Sofia's 70th birthday party.

It was the king and queen who first showed themselves with Carl Philip and Sofia at a holiday in St. Tropez. Victoria, Daniel, Madeleine and Chris were with Carl Philip and Sofia at a concert in Borgholm in July 2012, it looked like a PR-move by the court. Madeleine was once photographed at a lunch with Carl Philip and Sofia after it was written many times at the swedish press that Madeleine can't stand Sofia at all. So it looked like a PR-move ordered by the king.

Great post and very factual! And let's not forget that Sofia is never seen at Madeleines birthday celebrations ....it's usually her , Chris , Victoria , Daniel and a few of her friends ...since it's her event it seems that Sofia is never invited...as opposed to the ones hosted by the king as you said.

I thought Sofia attended Victoria & Daniel's wedding but she did attend the Christening of baby Estelle though. Despite everyone else going against her, the family has done nothing but embrace Sofia and that speak volumes and must have meant a lot to Prince Carl Philip.

:previous:What the KING says must go regardless of whether the girls like it or not(for the time being), they all MUST show a happy face for that is the facade that the public wants.

Or maybe just maybe things are just as they seem and Madeleine and Victoria are accepting of their brothers choice. They may not be thrilled but is there any proof that they actually have any kind of problem with Sofia.

:previous: I think they are genuinely happy with Prince Carl Philip's choice in girlfriend/fiancee and soon to be wife. I don't think they are trying to put a false facade on in public.

It seems like the only people who aren't happy about this engagement are some online posters.

I think that Victoria and Daniel are supporting CP and Sofia. They've been there. Madeleine and Emma Pernald are close friends, so it's not surprising that she might be a little more distant against Sofia. But both Victoria and Madeleine are human, and they love their brother. If Sofia is what/whom makes him genuinely happy, that should be enough for them to accept her. And I think that's just what they do.

Except from my perspective, at least, it was not convincing.

In fact, there was far more interaction between Daniel and Victoria, and Madeleine and Chris - as loving couples - than there was between Carl Philip and Sofia at that time. They were physically distant from each other - and physically distant from the other two couples. That's my memory. It was noticeable enough so that i have wondered from that time if there would ever be a marriage.

To me the long drawn out wait has suggested problems behind the scenes. I have thought more and more as the time dragged on that the engagement was not going to happen.

Great post and very factual! And let's not forget that Sofia is never seen at Madeleines birthday celebrations ....it's usually her , Chris , Victoria , Daniel and a few of her friends ...since it's her event it seems that Sofia is never invited...as opposed to the ones hosted by the king as you said.

I think this will just become the norm - this is the 'split' in the family that's been referred to. We have been seeing this for while.

Those friends include Emma Pernald. Sofia would have to be willing to party with Emma. Or - Madeleine will henceforth not invite Emma. That's what happened at the christening of Leonore - Sofia came, Emma did not - which given that Madeleine and Emma are friends, is telling. The two women will not be in the same room - but who is making this requirement? Emma? Sofia? Madeleine? Carl Philip?

Last edited:
When siblings marry, their relationship changes, and continues to change whether they like or dislike each other's husband or wife. Sometimes they start as best friends and then end up disliking each other, and vice versa.

Remember one thing, the girls, V/M are still daughters of the king and when he says jump they will probably jump.........and no one knows for sure if they are truly happy with this up coming marriage. They must and I use that word MUST appear before the public as a happy family for they are the image of the royal family and *Must show a happy face to the world that all is right with them*, that is their mystic that they must perform on a daily basis when something in the family happens for the world to see. So I don't believe in stage pictures or happy endings that all is right with this engagement. The smiles on the queen's face look forced and not very happy,,, the words on Maddie's face book page are just simple plain words, no emotions, no joy, not nothing but plain simple words. Maddie has shown more warmth and love to Daniel who is truly more a royal then the king himself. Actions speak more louder then any word.

And now you know how Maddie feels about Daniel, I assumed she called you. And Silvia's smile looked forced, because you interpret her feelings at all times. And you are privy to all the private actions and thoughts of all of these people. How wonderful. We have oru own expert right on this page.

And now you know how Maddie feels about Daniel, I assumed she called you. And Silvia's smile looked forced, because you interpret her feelings at all times. And you are privy to all the private actions and thoughts of all of these people. How wonderful. We have oru own expert right on this page.

As you know I don't know these people on a personal level, yet Maddie can send a joyful greeting to Daniel on his birthday and say how glad she is that he is in the family says a lot about their relationship. And the greeting that she sent her brother, well that also say a lot............plain, simple, to the point and certainly not joyful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria got married before Sofia and Carl Philip's relationship had even been confirmed to the press, so no, she wasn't there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The press told on 13th January 2010, that Sofia was Carl Philip's new girlfriend.
Här är Carl Philips hemliga romans Nyheter Expressen
The press wrote about them the whole spring and told that they had started dating in the summer 2009.
Carl Philip and Sofia in Easter 2010.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Victoria's and Daniel's wedding was on 19th June 2010.

The court confirmed in July that Sofia was Carl Philip's girlfriend. But they had never confirmed that Daniel was Victoria's boyfriend, neither with Jonas and Emma

Last edited:
The press told on 13th January 2010, that Sofia was Carl Philip's new girlfriend.
Här är Carl Philips hemliga romans Nyheter Expressen
The press wrote about them the whole spring and told that they had started dating in the summer 2009.
Carl Philip and Sofia in Easter 2010.

Victoria's and Daniel's wedding was on 19th June 2010.

The court confirmed in July that Sofia was Carl Philip's girlfriend. But they had never confirmed that Daniel was Victoria's boyfriend, neither with Jonas and Emma

Exactly so - which is why this relationship has felt like it has been going on forever. There has been a continual expectation of an engagement 'any time now' precisely because the relationship has been acknowledged. It's possible they thought Carl Philip would tire of her, or figure her out, given time. Didn't happen.

I think (from what I have seen) that she is someone whose 'on' switch triggers when she is the center of attention. Without focus on her, she droops. This is not in itself a bad thing, btw - at least imo. Such is an attribute that comes in handy for countless careers and activities - but can be tiring if there is no 'off' switch and holds for even when in private company.

I find this reference to her 'past' interesting. Her 'past' imo is recent enough to be her 'present' really.

Anyway, it is what it is.

Fact is, such pairings have been going on forever, certainly in aristocratic circles, and it's not been unheard of amongst royalty. Consider the 'Gaity Girls' that married into English aristocracy in the 1890's. I know of a few Las Vegas showgirls who married exceedingly well - and were far from 'dumbos'. In fact, the one common quality amongst those I know is the presence of hearts on fire - really loving souls. Terrific hostesses btw.

Last edited:
Following the move from the engagement thread, the mods would like to remind everyone to try and stay as factually-based as possible. Posts which read too deeply into things like body language/etc will be removed under the speculation rule. Also, repetitive postings will also be removed at moderator discretion.

I think when you grow up in that type of a bubble, and it maybe to an extent, as that type of family in that position you grow up maybe closer than most, I'm not willing to read much into picture as it is but I think their childhood pictures or video made them all seem very close, in particular as a family. And now when one becomes older, branches out to form their own families there are going to maybe be issues but I think public side of people can be seen as however the public wants it look even if it's not actually the truth.

I think it's great when siblings are close regardless, but maybe when you begin to marry your relationships with your siblings or your parents, they change from being immediately close to being I guess moderately close and even that type of distance can be seen as, "they have issues," but then again not all families are perfect. Despite their royal status these are still people--Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip, Sofia, Madeleine, Chris, all their children and then the King and Queen. Whatever you don't see, their private selves--we all want privacy--I think one should realize how much harder it might be to be in the public but also try to be taken seriously as a real person and not always a title.

I think when you grow up in that type of a bubble, and it maybe to an extent, as that type of family in that position you grow up maybe closer than most, I'm not willing to read much into picture as it is but I think their childhood pictures or video made them all seem very close, in particular as a family. And now when one becomes older, branches out to form their own families there are going to maybe be issues but I think public side of people can be seen as however the public wants it look even if it's not actually the truth.

I think it's great when siblings are close regardless, but maybe when you begin to marry your relationships with your siblings or your parents, they change from being immediately close to being I guess moderately close and even that type of distance can be seen as, "they have issues," but then again not all families are perfect. Despite their royal status these are still people--Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip, Sofia, Madeleine, Chris, all their children and then the King and Queen. Whatever you don't see, their private selves--we all want privacy--I think one should realize how much harder it might be to be in the public but also try to be taken seriously as a real person and not always a title.

I agree with what you say. Nicely stated. :flowers:

http://stoppapressarna.se/kungligt/madeleines-och-sofias-bittra-strid
Sofía Hellqvist y su ultimátum al príncipe Carlos Felipe de Suecia: Tu ex o yo. Noticias de Casas Reales
Carl Philip von Schweden: Darf seine Ex wegen Sofia nicht zur Taufe kommen? | BUNTE.de
Svenske medier: – Sofia nekter Maddes bestevenninne å komme i nevøens dåp - TV2.no

Lots of international press coverage on the topic why Emma Pernald, a close friend of Madeleine, at the same time the ex girlfriend of Carl Philip, did not attend the christening of Prince Nicolas.
It's me or her
Apparently Madeleine wanted Emma to become a godmother but Sofia stood up against it, telling Madeleine that she would not attend if Emma was one of the guests.
Emma Pernald did not attend the baptism and refuses to share the reason why with the media: - I can not go on baptism for various reasons that I need not to share with the media. It is clear that it is a pity because Princess Madeleine and I are good friends, she told Expressen.

Since we lack fresh gossip recycle old.

Lots of international press coverage on the topic why Emma Pernald, a close friend of Madeleine, at the same time the ex girlfriend of Carl Philip, did not attend the christening of Prince Nicolas.
It's me or her
Apparently Madeleine wanted Emma to become a godmother but Sofia stood up against it, telling Madeleine that she would not attend if Emma was one of the guests.
Emma Pernald did not attend the baptism and refuses to share the reason why with the media: - I can not go on baptism for various reasons that I need not to share with the media. It is clear that it is a pity because Princess Madeleine and I are good friends, she told Expressen.

If it has even a shred of truth, it's pretty tacky stuff. :ermm: I am inclined to doubt it since it makes no sense. However, if Emma said what she did to Expressen, my view of Emma shifts. But given the whole thing, I think it's drummed up. It's pretty unlikely Sofia would be making these kinds of demands, and Emma making such arching comments to a tabloid are out-of-character. My view? Bogus from start to finish.

Hans Shimoda in Hänt i Veckan
Just the other day came the news that Emma Pernald, ​​who previously worked on hyped advertising agency McCann, has become the marketing director of the Polar Music Prize. Something that in Häntbloggen's eyes opens up to a delicious revenge.
We called simply up to Emma to hear if she would now forbid her ex and his new woman Sofia from attending the Polar Music Prize?
- Haha! What a funny question! No, I will not comment on it, ha ha! But you are the first one to ask that.
Emma is very nice and laughs, but doesn't want to say more.
Emma Pernald portades från dopet – nu kan hon hämnas på Carl Philip och Sofia _Shimodas
Translation

Which Hans Shimoda didn't perhaps remember is that Carl Philip hasn't attended at the Polar Music Prize - but maybe the situation is different now when he is married.
As the marketing director of the Polar Music Prize Emma Pernald is very likely to get a place at a table with a member of the royal family at the dinner.

:previous: Emma is asked a question. She laughs. Refuses to answer. Full Stop. No story.

There is nothing here. :ermm:

Can we believe these reports? For years Emma hasn't said 'boo' to tabloids, and now she is answering the phone? Something isn't adding up. JMO.

this story for teenagers, they will serve us all the sauces.

Emma is still an issue? Well, now that she's the marketing director of the Polar Music Prize she is not out of the SRF's orbit. I still believe Emma should have been chosen as godmother if that was Madeleine and Chris' wish. She should have come to the christening. The fact that the CIO responded, saying it was the royal and princess couples' decision not to invite Emma, gives oxygen to a twisted triangle of CP, Sofia & Emma that is bread and butter tabloid press. All parties need to be in the room together - especially since Emma and Madeleine are friends - to end this drama once and for all. Otherwise, the stories are going to continue to be Emma the scorned ex, CP the jerk and Sofia the jealous and insecure wife. No one looks good here; and repeated stories can take a toll.

Emma is still an issue? Well, now that she's the marketing director of the Polar Music Prize she is not out of the SRF's orbit. I still believe Emma should have been chosen as godmother if that was Madeleine and Chris' wish. She should have come to the christening. The fact that the CIO responded, saying it was the royal and princess couples' decision not to invite Emma, gives oxygen to a twisted triangle of CP, Sofia & Emma that is bread and butter tabloid press. All parties need to be in the room together - especially since Emma and Madeleine are friends - to end this drama once and for all. Otherwise, the stories are going to continue to be Emma the scorned ex, CP the jerk and Sofia the jealous and insecure wife. No one looks good here; and repeated stories can take a toll.
These stories are only kept alive on this board. Sweden and probably the royal family have all moved on.

These stories are only kept alive on this board. Sweden and probably the royal family have all moved on.
It will be kept alive as long as Swedish "newspapers/magazines" will write about it, regardless what the persons involved think about it.
Can we believe these reports? For years Emma hasn't said 'boo' to tabloids, and now she is answering the phone? Something isn't adding up. JMO.
As for Emma answering the question, I don't think the "journalist" told in advance why he wanted to speak with her, I would think she believed he wanted to know about her new job, perhaps something her new employer wanted her to talk about.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning had an article about the king and queen's relation to the Westlings, Hellqvists and Ewa O'Neill.
The Westlings have been on the background since 2001, when Victoria met Daniel. The relationship with Ewa and Olle Westling has become stronger and stronger during the years when the king and queen have seen how much Ockelbo means to Victoria and Daniel, how they can be there private and relax. The Westlings attend at the royal celebrations, but haven't given interviews or let the photographers come to them in Ockelbo. The Westlings are the parents-in-law couple the royal couple socializes the most. The king and queen's relation to Eva O'Neill and the Hellqvists is also close but not so close than with the Westlings. With Ewa and Olle the king share their first grandchild, Estelle, who with Oscar has become a strong bond between Silvia and Ewa. Down-to-earth, that is the word what comes first in mind when we see Ewa Westling. She doesn't want to be at the limelight if she absolutely doesn't have to. At the royal celebrations Ewa wears her two-row pearls and also a hat. But she is so happy to return to her home in Ockelbo. Ewa Westling and Marie Hellqvist are very unlike. Marie has a racy side when she takes rides with her motorcycle. Marie and Erik Hellqvist have come to visit Carl Philip and Sofia with their motorcycles. That is something they share with Olle Westling, who has old motorcycles. Marie wins the glamour competition with Ewa, when we see Marie at the royal celebrations, we will never know her hair colour before we see her, she has changed it many times.

Interesting but differences are of little significance.
The importance is the unique grandparent/grandchild bond - so a child feels completely safe, adored and valued unconditionally.
Grandparents are naturally very generous with time and sharing stories and skills. They are patient and keen to listen to the wisdom of their grandchildren.
Royal chuildren in Sweden are lucky to have numerous grandparents.

Svensk Damtidning's article about Victoria and Madeleine's relationship, the royal sisters through thick and thin.
Victoria and Madeleine have a unique relationship. When they were small, the crown princess was like an extra mother to her younger siblings, when their parents were a lot away from home. When the teenage years began, their lives separated. Victoria started to take a bigger responsibility of the royal representation after her 18th birthday, for Madeleine her friends and horses were important. The years went by and Victoria found a balance between her private life and official role as the crown princess of Sweden. The sisters got engaged same year with Daniel Westling and Jonas Bergström. When Madeleine and Jonas broke up and Madeleine moved to USA, Victoria was a great support for her. There were big headlines when Madeleine didn't come home to the Banns of marriage of Victoria and Daniel, but Victoria took that calmly. Of course it was her great year of Love, but her relationship with Madeleine has always come first. After they have become mothers, the relationship has become even stronger. Madeleine has told that sometimes there will become rows between her and Victoria, like for all siblings. She has said that sometimes she can be very angry to her siblings but she loves them and they are her best friends.

Back
Top Bottom