Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine & Family Visit to Rome, Italy: April 26-27, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I am glad to see that Queen Silvia stuck with protocol and dressed in black to meet the Pope as a Protestant queen should do. That contrasts with Queen Elizabeth II who recently wore a blue/purple suit and a hat in a papal audience.

Yes, she did. She studied spanish at university and then worked in south america too. I was wondering if the interpreter was needed more for the talk with Madeleine and Chris since the pope doesn't speak english:flowers: But it seems Chris was heard speak German :lol:

The Pope spoke in English in recent visits to South Korea and the Philippines, but he was of course reading from prepared notes. Overall, his English is still pretty bad, but I'm pretty sure he has been working on improving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to see that Queen Silvia stuck with protocol and dressed in black to meet the Pope as a Protestant queen should do. That contrasts with Queen Elizabeth II who recently wore a blue/purple suit and a hat in a papal audience.

And it simply looks good. There are also gradations: on one and the same event at the Vatican (then) Princess Máxima wore a floor length gown while the (then) Princess of Asturias wore a knee length gown. This difference was also visible between Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine.

:flowers:

And it simply looks good. There are also gradations: on one and the same event at the Vatican (then) Princess Máxima wore a floor length gown while the (then) Princess of Asturias wore a knee length gown. This difference was also visible between Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine.

I foresee that amongst the new and future Queens its Maxima we can count on for a bit of old fashioned royal glamour.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Don't forget Queen Victoria of Sweden with her mighty Bragança whopper-diadem....

With all the events in Rome - I still wonder what Madeleine's role is. She did not join the meetings the day before, she did not join the Queens one-on-one with the Pope. She did not join the dinner with Ban-Ki-Moon. What's her role, besides sitting next to her mom and smiling? If she is serious about creating a position for herself as part of the SRF, she needs to be more on the foreground and claim a role for herself. Even Sofia is doing the latter quite effectively IMHO.

Its a typical Madeleine event, she just loves to show up at high profile occasions and show off, have her picture taken in full princess clothes. Bread and butter, not so much.

Don't forget Queen Victoria of Sweden with her mighty Bragança whopper-diadem....

All hail to the mighty Braganca but I'm talking about the overall glam factor and there I think Victoria is much to humble at the moment although she's begun to show some promising growth lately.

So it is not extraordinary that Princess Madeleine and her family joined heer mother...

Yes, of course it is a privilege to meet the Pope, I would be truly privileged to have an audience like that.
The only thing is I do not get why Madeleine does not claim a more important role for herself besides joining her mother. She could have attended other meetings that surrounded the visit. Also in the interview, the comes across as very shallow. Only commenting on how special it was, not making a statement on child trafficking as the Queen does.

Even little Leonore had a larger role than Madde did.

I believe the then Princess of Asturias were a floor length gown when she and the then Prince of Asturias met the pope shortly after their wedding.

I've had the same thoughts. I can give Madeleine a pass on the dinner since she's quite heavily pregnant. But was the meeting with the pope the only thing she did? She managed to travel to Rome, so a couple of hours of seminars the day before would have been a good idea.

We never see her on the bread and butter events that the rest of the Royal family (now also including Carl Philip) does. She just pops up now and then when it suits her. I think that the only reason she, along with Chris and Leonore, took this trip was that Chris is a catholic. Meeting the pope is a big thing for him, just like having his child blessed by the pope. And it's good PR for the family as a whole, in some aspects.

But wait... she did attend the seminars.
On Sunday the Queen received The European Humanitate Prize, and therefor is it not necessary for Princess Madeleine to attend.
On Monday on the other hand the whole family was received in an audience with the Pope and in the afternoon the Queen and Princess Madeleine attended the seminar (which they actually were in Rome for). In the evening a dinner was held at the Swedish embassy.

All this has been known, at least since the visit started.

Chris is catholic, so meeting the Pope was surely a big thing for him.
https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=32334005&pos=6

The queen, Leonore and the Pope, photo from the Court's Instagram.
Instagram photo by @kungahuset (Kungahuset) | Iconosquare

I am not sure if Chris is religious, but, being Catholic, it must be upsetting to him that he had to marry in a Lutheran service and baptize his daughter in the Church of Sweden (a legal requirement for Leonore to remain in the line of succession). Maybe presenting Leonore to the Pope was a way of making up to him.

I suspect Queen Maxima (who BTW is a personal friend of the Pope) may feel likewise, but she never presented her daughters to the Pope AFAIK.

I am not sure if Chris is religious, but, being Catholic, it must be upsetting to him that he had to marry in a Lutheran service and baptize his daughter in the Church of Sweden (a legal requirement for Leonore to remain in the line of succession). Maybe presenting Leonore to the Pope was a way of making up to him.

Madeleine said afterwards to reporters that Chris was very moved when meeting the pope.

Back
Top Bottom