Princess Lilian's 90th Birthday: August 30, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMQueenElizabethII

Heir Apparent
City
Ryde
Country
Australia
Have the Royal Family announced any celebrations for Princess Lilian's 90th birthday this year yet?I remember HRH's birthday is on 30th August.
And also we have not seen her for a long time, i mean on engagements or presenting prizes or awards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Celebrations

Oh I really hope that they have some sort of public celebration - even just a very small one such as an appearance in the courtyard the Royal Palace in Stockholm so members of the public can congratulate her. :)

I don't think there will be any larger celebrations, she might be too frail for such things at her high age, although she looks incredibly good! Hopefully there will be a dinner in her honour, that would be a minimum I would think... But we'll see...

I agree with you Gita, I also hope there will be a congratulatory call on the courtyard. I will send her this postcard, but in purple, and some flowers (haven't decided what kind yet).

How lovely of you

I think that is lovely of you GrandDuchess. Love that postcard you're going to send her. :) :cool: ;)

That's really fanstastic,GrandDuchess and so kindly of you.Princess Lilian will be very happy when seeing the card.

Princess Lilian's 90th Birthday; August 30, 2004

Soon, on tuesday, its Lilians birthday! Wonder if there will be any special celebrations? On www.royalcourt.se it just says its her birthday...

Last edited:
Birthday celebration?

I really do hope they do someting for Princes Lilian, after all she will be 90!

This week's issue of Svensk Damtidning tells that the Royal Family will honour Princess Lilian's 90th birthday tomorrow with a big party at Prince Eugen's Waldemarsudde on Royal Djurgården (not too far from her home, Villa Solbacken, which also is on Royal Djurgården). Queen Silvia is said to be the party planner, or the "party general" as they called her.

Yes she birthday on Waldemarsudde and queen Silvia in party. Princess Lilian have many friends Sickan Carlsson,Inga-Greta Håkansson and Marianne Zettström,Beck-Friss....Roger Moore and his wife Kicki Moore.They is many older friends to Princess Lilian. Sickan Carlsson and Inga Greta Håkansson is on 1940 many years friends to Princess Lilian. Princess Lilian is love in many friends and royal family.royal children.
This photo Princess Lilian and crown princess Victoria yes is 2000 parliament in september.

GrandDuchess said:
This week's issue of Svensk Damtidning tells that the Royal Family will honour Princess Lilian's 90th birthday tomorrow with a big party at Prince Eugen's Waldemarsudde on Royal Djurgården (not too far from her home, Villa Solbacken, which also is on Royal Djurgården). Queen Silvia is said to be the party planner, or the "party general" as they called her.

I hope the "party general" will do her very best for this great birthday child.

All my best wishes and congratulations to her Royal highness!!

happy birthday

to bad there is no tv programme about her would love to see videos photos about her' and her talking about her royal life

Re:

Happy Birthday to the Princess!

Although she lives in Sweden and is a Princess of Sweden, I always think of her as a British Princess too and thats why I love her! :)

Gratulation and best wishes to Princess Lilian to her 90th birthday!

Have you see any pictures from birthday celebration (arrinve the guest) at Prins Eugen Waldemarsudde at yesterday? I cann't find anything.

Princess Lilian's 90th Birthday; August 30, 2004

Article from Aftonbladet:
Yesterday Lilian´s 90th birthday was celebrated in the Royal castle and in Waldemarsudde.
The whole Royal family (Madeleine in a white suit, while the others wore evening dresses) celebrated together with Stockholm´s society (among them Roger Moore with his wife Kiki) the princess.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,691911,00.html

Attachments

• Lil2.jpg
    Lil2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 523
  • Lil1.jpg
    Lil1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 437
thank you so much i hope that we will see more photos
to bad the papers and tv have not done more about lilian
thought we would get to see more photos of her from the past

This photo near Princess Lilian have to Waldemarsudde on Djurgården. Shes oldest friends Tore Wretman death 2003 and wife Eva Wretman arm in Roger Moore,his wife Kicki.
Eva Wretman is living good friend to Princess Lilian. Princess Lilian have farewell near Eva Wretmans husband Tore death 87 year february 2003 on funeral. They is many years friend. Couple Wretman visit many years to Franska Maxime on Frankrike,Prince Bertil and Princess Lilians house.
They is beautiful and visit Princess Lilians 90th birthday. Princess is good and alert,vital.She have 50 people near she 90th birthday on 30 augusti. Expressen and Princess Lilian sitting on Djurgården,she speak english and many flowers his home Djurgården. She is happy and smile.Many friends from world europe send to Princess Lilians 90th birthday!She is smile smile!!!

Princess Lilian is love of Sweden people and royal family!

Some pictures from Fotobank and kändisnytt

Attachments

• lil1.jpg
    lil1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 505
  • lil2.jpg
    lil2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 506
  • lil3.jpg
    lil3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 693
  • lil4.jpg
    lil4.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 540
  • lil5.jpg
    lil5.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 660
i hope that these are the first photos of many more to come

Josefine said:
i hope that these are the first photos of many more to come

So far not. I couldn´t find more of the Royals. Maybe others have more luck :confused:

New Pics

PRINCESS MADELEINE and PRINCE CARL PHILIP arriving for the 90th birthday party for Princess Lilian.

zumalive237734.jpg
zumalive237733.jpg

I'm not sure if these pictures were posted yet :eek: ...Newscom...QUEEN SILVIA and CROWN PRINCESS VICTORIA arriving for the 90th birthday party for Princess Lilian.

zumalive237739.jpg
zumalive237736.jpg

Dresses

I love both Queen Silvia's and Crown Princess Victoria's dresses. The Queen looked particularly lovely. :)

many thanks for posting the lovely pics from the queen and crown princess.

runaway princess said:
I'm not sure if these pictures were posted yet :eek: ...Newscom...QUEEN SILVIA and CROWN PRINCESS VICTORIA arriving for the 90th birthday party for Princess Lilian.

Last edited by a moderator:
runaway princess said:
PRINCESS MADELEINE and PRINCE CARL PHILIP arriving for the 90th birthday party for Princess Lilian.

zumalive237734.jpg
zumalive237733.jpg
Madeleine is a vision in white! Carl Philip doesn't look to bad either!!! :D

King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Madeleine, Prince Carl Philip - and birthday girl Princess Lilian - arrving for the private celebrations of Princess Lilian's 90th birthday 30 August 2005. The pictures are from Newscom.

Attachments

• Lilian 90årsdag 2005_2.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 565
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_3.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 734
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_4.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_6.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_6.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 383
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_7.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_7.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_8.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_8.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 442
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_9.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_9.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 649
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_10.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_10.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 427
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_11.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_11.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_12.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_12.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Princess Désirée & Baron Silfverschiöld, Peter Wallenberg, Princess Christina & husband Tord Magnusson, and Count Carl Johan & Countess Gunilla Bernadotte arrving for the private celebrations of Princess Lilian's 90th birthday 30 August 2005. The pictures are from Newscom.

Attachments

• Lilian 90årsdag 2005_13.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_13.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 713
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_14.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_14.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 442
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_15.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_15.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 533
  • Lilian 90årsdag 2005_16.jpg
    Lilian 90årsdag 2005_16.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:
Translation by me of an Svenska Dagbladet article and interview by Omar Magnergård, published on 26 August on the occasion of Princess Lilian's 90th birthday. This article is not available as a link from SVD, but only PDF which I don't know how to link too, but you can find it under 26 August on this site.

Lilian is always ’on the go’

After three weeks with the Royal Family at Solliden, Princess Lilian is ‘on the go’ again. Flamenco festival at the House of Dance, smoking dinner at Nalen this past Wednesday where she awarded The Smile Prize to Sven Tumba, to Arlanda Airport on Saturday to meet her cousin Jean Beaumond, her only living relative, clothes designer Yuki, and a couple of other invitees to the birthday party.

- What it is and will happen, I have no idea about. Even Queen Silvia, whom I have daily contact with, is silent like a clam.

In her next breath, the Princess explains that she doesn’t wish for any present for her personally.
- I have most things. If someone on the other hand would like to give a little to SOS Children’s Villages, I would be happy.

She is their protector. For her 85th birthday, large sums came in to the organisation. Right now a Children’s Village is built in Ukraine. A project that takes up large amounts of money.

The day after the 90th birthday on Tuesday, there are no events on the schedule. But on Thursday the Norwegian Royal and Crown Princely Couple will arrive for a two-day visit. Then it’s time to be out and about again.

How does she have the energy?
- I think that the work – and laughter – keeps me somewhat young at mind. I don’t do gymnastics or exercise. But I do feel the same wish to help as my husband did.

She admits that she sometimes gets to hear that she should cut back on her commitments.
- And do what, she counters. Sit at home and roll the thumbs? Someone has to ‘look after the shop’. That’s how it is. And how many people can get a job at my age?

Her mother dies relatively young; no other relatives have reached her age.
- I do wonder where I go my genes.

She is smartly elegant, keen on clothes and style, almost always wears high heels, is friendly, talkative, often self ironic. She shows old cuttings, points at framed pictures of the royal children with written greetings, rejoices in the amount of white orchids in almost every room. She lives with her memories here in Villa Solbacken. But it doesn’t take over everyday life. She is too active to let that happened. She has her friends, and, as she says, her three “completely lovely nurses”. They take turns in living with her. This is after something that happened two and a half years ago.

The Princess had a cold, got pneumonia and slept and slept.
- When I woke up, Carl Gustaf, Silvia and the children stood at the bed, all deeply solemn. How dumb I felt. The Queen made sure that from that day on, that living alone was over for me.

- She is the most caring person I know. We are like two sisters. Friends wonder if I feel like a mother for Silvia. It is the opposite.

The Princess reads Swedish newspapers, watches Swedish television and copes with out language.
- When I have too, yes. My Swedish vocabulary is neither big nor perfect. In my circle, both with friends and the Royal Family, we always speak English. For me Swedish is a difficult language. Now it might be too late for language lessons.

The whole time during our conversation, Labrador Bingo is around her. He follows Lilian when we watch the roses in the garden, lies at her feet when she reads or watches TV, has his own “corner” with toys, and lets himself be spoiled with both English scones and Swedish cake on the plate.

Princess Lilian got him as a puppy from the Royal Couple the summer after Prince Bertil’s death.
- I have said it before, and gladly repeat it – a better and more loving company than a dog for a person who has become lonely is not possible to find.

She says that she feels alert, “not a day older than 80”, that she is continuously curious at life and that she wants to live for a long time yet. But she is not afraid to die.
- It is something natural. And I know that I will rest next to my beloved husband at Haga.

She was there last week, as usual put down little love notes and is glad that the grave is kept so nice.
- But of course, it feels enormously lonely out there, she confesses. Not a day passes without me thinking of Bertil.

Before we part, the Princess asks to thank the Swedish people in this way.
- You have received me, and do receive me, with such kindness. Wherever I go, people come up to me and say how much they appreciated Prince Bertil. Often I get to hear that I do a good job. Such things warms in an old hear, I assure you.

Picture from Svenska Dagbladet.

Attachments

• 90 år bild SVD.jpg
    90 år bild SVD.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 452
Thanks GrandDuchess for the lovely interview with princess Lillian! She´s such an amazing lady, eveytime you see her on tv she smiles and laughs. She´s a wonderful rolemodel for the royal "children" and lets hope that she stays with us for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom