Princess Christina and Family, Current Events Part 1: March 2003 - January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
Princess Christina Louise Helena
born August 3. 1943
married: June 15. 1974 with Tord Magnuson
(has the title Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson)

their son: Carl Gustav Victor, born August 8. 1975
their son: Tord Oscar Fredrik, born June 20. 1977
their son: Victor Edmund Lennart, born September 10. 1980

POLFOTO 24.05.2002

POLFOTO 23.05.2002

www.ibl.se

Her graduation here with her grandpa the king, HM King Gustav VI Adolf

13/5 1963

www.ibl.se

www.ibl.se

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,257
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,163
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 6,642
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 6,237
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 5,183
Last edited by a moderator:
some pictures of Gustaf Magnusson

with his girlfriend

one more...

Attachments

• fdds.jpg
    fdds.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 6,539
  • fddsfd.jpg
    fddsfd.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,116
  • fgfdff.jpg
    fgfdff.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 5,067
Quote doesn't always work with the photos. Anyway, it was the one with one of her sisters. I saw it somewhere else. Poor Gustaf. All of those sisters.

Poor Gustaf. All of those sisters.

I suppose it depends what ones sisters are like -- in my case they are terrific fun. Wouldn't trade them for the world. :heart:

thats true. I think Christina was born in 1943 and Carl Gustaf was born in 1946 so they are close in age... and they played together all the time when they were little...
Christinas and Carl Gustafs children are the same age and the families always celebrates christmas together at Drottningholm.

For me, she is the most " down to earth" of the four sisters. She is quite a simple, ordinary person and very agreable. And that is my opinion about the King as well so they propably go along very well. When Silvia was in Sweden before the love affair was official she allways stayed at Christina´s.
Christina has also worked a lot with i.e the Swedish Red Cross and I believe that she could have becomed a well knowned person by her own work, not just by being a princess

i think she older than him! i think so! she born in 1943 and he born in 1946.

Sara Boyce

Prinsessan Christina firas på 50-årsdagen i Villa Beylon 1993 Prinsessan Christina och Tord Magnuson

Prinsessan Christina firar sin 50-årsdag hemma i Villa Beylon 1993 Prinsessan Benedikte, prinsessan Margaretha, prinsessan Desirée, Tord Magnuson, prinsessan Christina, kung Carl XVI Gustaf, drottning Silvia

Prinsessan Christina och Tord Magnuson 1974

Prinsessan Christina, Röda Korset

Prinsessan Christina 1970-tal

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 5,150
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 5,274
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5,295
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 5,067
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5,195
Tord Magnuson

Doesn't the husband of Princess Christina have a title, like "General Consul"? What exactly does that mean?

Last year there was a black & white photo being sold on eBay, that showed Princess Christina at the New York World's Fair in 1964 or 1965. The photo showed her making a phone call, but it might have been a 'staged' photo.
Unfortunately the photo is now gone.

Do any of you have any photos of Princess Christina at the New York World's Fair?

Thank you--

Randy
koala@earthlink.net

Does anybody know?

Doesn't the husband of Princess Christina have a title, like "General Consul"?
True. I think it has something to do with Mauritius...?

princess with family

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,057
Kiruna flygplats 2003-12-19 Prinsessan Christina och Gustaf Magnuson

Attachments

• magnusson__christina.jpg
    magnusson__christina.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,890
Princess Christina of Sweden seen here at the graduate for the Sophia Sisters in the Engelbrekt Chruch in Stockholm today. 1/16/04

Princess Christina of Sweden seen here at the graduate for the Sophia Sisters in the Engelbrekt Chruch in Stockholm today.

Attachments

• 48940.jpg
    48940.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 708
  • 48939.jpg
    48939.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 685
Happy news - Princess Christina was yesterday awarded the highest honour of France - the Legion d'Honneur. It is given to her as an appreciation of her work for the humanitarian causes, for ex. as the former Chairman of the Swedish Red Cross.

Congratulations to her. As a Francophile, I must say that I´m rather jealous of her but she thoroughly deserves it.

a little bird is asking ..... what Frenchman in the last while (or soon in the future) got a distinguished Swedish honour ?

Thnak you GrandDuchess.

Princess Christina is one of those rare ladies who gets more beautiful with advancing age.

Prinsessan Christina och Tord Magnusson
from the IBL site

Attachments

• KGL000041.jpeg
    KGL000041.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 1,899
  • KGL000042.jpeg
    KGL000042.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,040
  • KGL000043.jpeg
    KGL000043.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,020
  • KGL000044.jpeg
    KGL000044.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,119
nytimes.gif

Talking Design With Princess Christina of Sweden
Where Ordinary Is Beautiful, and Vice Versa

04/29/99

EARLIER this month, Christina Magnuson, a sophisticated 50-something Swede, sat in a Manhattan hotel suite and discussed well-designed juice glasses, toothbrushes, kitchen utensils, furniture, cars and houses. "Design is one of society's largest cultural assets," she said, a gauge with which to measure the aspirations of a civilization.

The fact that Mrs. Magnuson is a sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf and thus a princess, and that she lives with her husband and three children in a large villa on the grounds of Ulriksdal Palace in Stockholm, might make her interest in juice glasses seem strange. But in Sweden, where the creation of everyday objects has been elevated to a fine art, the term "Design Princess" is a serious honorific.

The Princess, whose primary career is as chairwoman of the Swedish Red Cross and whose royal status in a socially democratic country makes her something of an anomaly, has spent the last 10 years promoting design in the hopes of establishing a museum in Stockholm. For now, there is a temporary exhibition space called the Forum for Form — which she and Swedish designers, critics and curators refer to as a "museum in embryo."

Outsiders are usually surprised that Sweden has no national design museum, given the country's reputation. But this says a lot about Sweden. "Because we're used to the lines and style of Swedish design, we tend to think of the things that surround us as very ordinary," the Princess explained. "When we get outside attention, we start to take notice of how special it really is."

There has been no dearth of outside attention. Wallpaper magazine recently dedicated an entire issue to the current Swedish design scene. The International Contemporary Furniture Fair, to be held in New York next month, will feature a number of young Swedish stars like Thomas Sandell and Bjorn Dahlstrom at the Totem design booth. And there are a host of new wave Swedish companies like David Design, Asplund, Box Mobler and CBI.

Since the 1940's, most Swedes have lived with textiles, glass, ceramics, furniture and flatware that seamlessly merge craft and industry. Such design seems to be a natural extension of the country's social ideals. Recently there has been an international revival of interest in early-20th-century Swedish companies like Svenskt Tenn (the name means Swedish Pewter), the decorative arts workshop that brought Swedish design to the 1939 New York World's Fair. Some of Svenskt Tenn's exquisite metal jewelry (by its founder, Estrid Ericson) is being reproduced at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and nine of its wildly vibrant textiles (by the Austrian transplant Josef Frank) are still available from Brunschwig & Fils.

Neighboring Danes and Finns in the 1950's and 60's may have been equally responsible for the widespread popularity of curvilinear chairs, surfboard tables, biomorphic glassware and striking geometric rugs. But it was a 1955 exposition in Helsingborg, Sweden, that spread Scandinavian design abroad.

In fact, a new design store in Manhattan is called H55 in honor of the exposition. The store's chunky, brightly colored 50's glass vessels by Sven Palmqvist speak volumes about the enthusiasm and expectations of that time in Sweden, which had just experienced a 50-year climb from poverty to prosperity. The decorative ceramics of Henrik Allert and Stig Lindberg show the era's blending of fine and applied arts.

It was a celebration of this heritage that brought Princess Christina to New York, where she opened a seminar on 20th-century Swedish design sponsored in part by the Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts.

The Princess imbibed Swedish creativity from the priceless handcrafted artifacts and artwork that filled her childhood home, the Royal Palace in Stockholm, and the functionalist design of her youth in the 50's and 60's. Her grandfather King Gustaf VI Adolf often discussed his interest in Chinese porcelain. She studied art history at the University of Stockholm and attended Radcliffe College for a year in which she formed her passion for Warhol and Rauschenberg. Moreover, Sigvard Bernadotte, her uncle, is Sweden's first modern industrial designer. Count Bernadotte, now 92, created everything from silverware to plastic bowls. "At a certain point I started feeling that objects spoke a language," she said.

By lineage, the Princess, who is married to a businessman, Tord Magnuson, is actually more French and German than anything. "If there's an ounce of Swedish blood in me," she said, "it must be diluted 100 times. Yet I'm terribly Swedish."

She appreciates glass above any other decorative art. "Glass is one of the joys of life," she said. "It's an integral part of the Swedish experience — to drink out of it, to have it in the window with the light shining through, to fill it with flowers or leaves." So it's not surprising that she keeps an extensive personal collection of Swedish glass.

In New York, Princess Christina was notably self-effacing and retained her cool during a photography session, when a wall of ice, built as a backdrop, collapsed.

During her stay she inaugurated a new collection of Skruf glassware by Ingegerd Raman at the American Craft Museum, where an exhibition of turn-of-the-century Swedish Rorstrand porcelain runs through May 23. Rorstrand's playful Art Nouveau vases with cavorting sea creatures present one extreme of 20th-century Swedish design. Ms. Raman represents the other side: in their severe Nordic simplicity, her ice-clear glass carafes and decanters are as austere as Lutheran churches.

Both strands will be represented at a new exhibition, called H99, in Helsingborg, to begin in July. With mid-century so close in history's rearview mirror and the turn of the century just around the corner, the show will feature Swedish design and architecture from the 1950's to the infinitely adventurous present.

FROM NEW YORK TIMES, 04/29/99, BY ANDREA CODRINGTON.

Last edited:
Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnusson on Saturday 20 November this year, attending the Swedish Women’s Voluntary Defence Service’s 80th Jubilee and National Meeting in Aula Magna at Stockholm University.

In this picture, Princess Christina stands between National Lotta (Chairman) Louise Ulfhielm (left) and the Mistress of the Robes, Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister (right).

Attachments

• riks_mingel.jpg
    riks_mingel.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 629
"On thursday 9 Dec 2004 it was announced in Svenska Dagbladet that Mrs Gerda Magnuson died on 3 decembre 2004 (née Klemming 6 april 1913). She leaves four sons and grandchildren:
1. Björn, with sons Johan and Fredrik.
2. Tord, with his wife Princess Christina (sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf), and three sons, Gustaf, Oscar and Victor.
3. Per, with wife also Christina, and daughter Anna and son Erik.
4. Lars, with wife Hélène, and son Carl and daughters Ebba and Joanna.

Funeral will be held at 15:00, on 29 december 2004 in Church of Lidingö, just east of Stockholm."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom