Princess Birgitta and Family, Current Events Part 1: December 2002 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Birgitta gave a phone interview to Expressen before Christmas. She was soon heading out on one of her daily rounds on the golf course. Her home club is Santa Ponsa in the southwest of Mallorca and there people know her as private person Birgitta, not as Princess of Sweden or one of the four Haga princesses. If golf is her best friend Birgitta says:
- There's not much else to do when you live here alone and are older. It is a great job that gives you the opportunity to meet a lot of other people.
About the choice to leave Sweden Birgitta says:
- I like it excellent here, of course. Otherwise, I would never be here, she says about the choice of moving to Spain and Majorca.
What do you do during the day?
- Play golf.
The whole time?
- More or less.
Handicap?
- I play at 19. It's no good, but when you are old so it does not matter.
Sweden will forever be in her heart, however she has no desire to move back home:
- No, it's too dark and cold. Here the sun shines all the time and if one has the ability to choose where to live so it is definitely not stupid to be here. What can I do in the cold? It is so long since I lived at home in Sweden and I have lost touch with many, unfortunately. There will be new generations who have no idea who you are or what you have done.
Most recently Princess Birgitta was at home in Sweden was when big sister Princess Margaretha turned 80 years on 31 October this year. Then the two sisters celebrated among other things on Lisa Elmqvist in Östermalm and had fancy lunch.
- It was very nice. Fun to come home and celebrate the birthday. It's a nice memory, says Birgitta.
Birgitta celebrated Christmas with her husband Johann Georg, kids Carl Christian, Désirée and Hubertus and grandchildren in Munich in Germany.
- We'll all be together. It is very important and it feels good.
Princess Birgitta has a close relationship with his younger brother the king.
- Yes, we talk often over the phone. But he is like so many others a busy man. He does not have that much time. We talk well as everyone else. What happens in one's life, how one feels and so on. Normal calls.
Birgitta – en färgstark prinsessa på vift Dokument Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Swedish golfplayer Jesper Parnevik has got an own TV-show at swedish TV3. He meets people at his 1300 square meter villa in Florida.
Princess Birgitta was one of the guests at the first program, the other guests were politician Lars Ohly and Samir Badran, who tries to get as the swedish representative to the Eurovision Song Contest. The program will be shown on 16th March.
Princess Birgitta and Lars Ohly
Instagram

Princess Birgitta tells at the paper issue of Svensk Damtidning that playing golf with Jesper Parnevik was as good and fun she had thought. Birgitta doesn't want to see the show, but she hopes that what they recorded becomes a nice program.
Jesper Parnevik tells at his interview in Svensk Damtidning that Birgitta was down to earth and cool. Parnevik was impressed how good Birgitta is in golf, he thinks that Birgitta must have a handicap about 15.

Princess Birgitta, who moved from Sweden 55 years ago, tells at the documentary soap opera "Parneviks" at a dinner about her relationship with her brother, King Carl Gustaf.
- I will be more blue and yellow as time goes on. I do not think my brother understand it. He does not understand how I struggle for Sweden. He does not. I know he has been jealous of me, or envious. But he can say it, because I've only fought for him. I have only my brother in my head all the time.
When Mia Parnevik says that she thinks Princess Birgitta is a good representative of Sweden, Birgitta responds:
- I know I am now. The duty first, said Birgitta in the program.
Prinsessan Kungen är avundsjuk på mig Nöje Expressen
Translation

http://z.cdn-expressen.se/images/3d/35/3d35a5091c8c443a9b7076f675f6c555/16x9/912@70.jpg

On the cover of Aftonbladet
http://img.kiosko.net/2015/03/16/se/aftonbladet.750.jpg

Last edited:
Without saying too much but she looks destroyed and depressed

Princess Birgitta at swedish TV channel 5's program "Berg & Meltzer i Europa". The part she is in starts at 31.00, there are some commercials and it continues. Birgitta teaches the TV-hosts golf. Birgitta says that the little girl is her grandchild.
Kanal 5 Play - Berg & Meltzer i Europa - Säsong 2 Avsnitt 3

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning quotes the interview princess Birgitta gave to Aftonbladet. Birgitta says that she wants to come back home to Sweden in an urn. Where her father and mother are buried, to Haga. That is her wish, she has asked her brother, the king knows. Birgitta says that her childhood in Haga was the happiest time of her life, the time before her father died. Everything changed then, they were not allowed to talk about that. Their mother didn't want to talk about their father at all. It was unreal. Birgitta misses her father very much. She told that every morning she eats four gingerbreads with butter. She reveals that her husband Johann proposed her at the rise to the kitchen. Everything felt new when she moved away from Sweden, she had never talked at a telephone or had money in her hand. Birgitta says also that she didn't mean the word "jealous" about the king when she talked about him at "Parneviks". But it is little difficult to talk about a brother who is the king of Sweden, one gets never hold of him.

Last edited:
Princess Birgitta gave an interview to spanish ABC
Birgitta of Sweden: "They have never invited me to Marivent Palace"

Birgitta receives ABC at a walk from the golf course. She moves through the green like it's her home. In fact, it is. Birgitta is one of the 1,000 members of this elite club and is close to it's owners, Miguel and Corona Nigorra. But golf was not the first thing that brought her to the island. "I always summered in France and Italy, but once, when my children were still young, I came to Mallorca and I fell for it's climate, it's light and colors. So I started to spend the summer here and eleven years ago I moved here", she explains in a perfect English ('I don't speak Spanish').

Do you miss Sweden?
- I left Stockholm when I was 24, so I've spent more time outside Sweden than in Sweden, and I don't want to say the age that I have, but I'm too old... Not to miss anything, except my family, but I have lived too long out to miss.
Was it easy to leave Germany?
- It was very easy, I am a very easy person because I'm happy anywhere. Now I play golf daily, for four to six hours. My life revolves around golf.
And far from the court ...
- I was born in the court and I'm used to living in the palace, but I do not miss that.
And what about your obsession for golf?
- The Green keeps me young and active.
Has your brother caught a love for Mallorca?
- He has come here several times, but he does not play golf, prefers to sail. He loves Mallorca, but never has the time to come visit me.
Do you speak by phone or by Skype?
- Do Skype? Me? (laughs). I call him on the phone, old-style. Sometimes I spend half an hour waiting for a phone and an end dangling. Is very sad to have your only brother as a King, because I can't count on it. With my sisters, it is easier. With them I speak often and they visit me. We five siblings try to be united, although it is not easy. My brother never has time, so we take weddings to bring us up to date.

Birgitta will not have to wait much longer to be reunited with his brother. On 13 June, Prince Carl Philip will marry Sofia Hellqvist, the ex-contestant of a popular reality show. The aunt of the groom will be sitting in the front row with the rest of the Royal Family. Birgitta doesn't have a dress for the wedding yet. "At my age it is difficult to find the right style for these celebrations. Here in Mallorca there are not shops that sell clothes for royal wedding", she says.

Do you like the bride of your nephew?
- I do not know Sofia very well. I've seen her only twice. I hope she is a nice girl. But I can't say more, it would not be fair. My nephew is an excellent, very good and nice guy.
And the wedding will coincide with the birth of the second child of Princess Madeleine.
- We expect a busy summer.
Is it easier for a prince to marry a princess? You were the only one of the five siblings who married a noble blood.
- Yes it is easier to marry someone of the same condition because since we are born we learn everything that this work requires: how to eat, how to sit, how to greet, how to talk, how to walk. Those who are not born into royalty have to learn everything and it costs them more. It is very hard work.
Do you see that your niece Victoria is prepared to reign?
- She's a fantastic girl and very prepared. She will be a great queen. She is perfect ... she was born for this.

Birgitta tells that she was with her brother in Vienna when he received the telegram in which he was informed that the law was changed and that Victoria would be his heir. It was very sad because Carl Philip was already three months old and had been appointed as the heir. It has not been easy because he knows that he was born to be King and that he was replaced by his sister, says Birgitta.

Birgitta speaks also about queen Sofia and other queens.
The last question:
You weren't at the recent celebration of the 75th anniversary of your cousin Queen Margrethe?
- I'm no longer invited to these things, and when they do I decline. I'd rather play golf than go to a party with a tiara.
Birgitta de Suecia_ «Nunca me han invitado al palacio de Marivent» - ABC.es
Translation

Last edited:
^^ I wonder why she isn't invited to Queen Margrethe's birthday functions. I'm guessing she's an embarrassment or she likes to stir the pot

^^ I wonder why she isn't invited to Queen Margrethe's birthday functions. I'm guessing she's an embarrassment or she likes to stir the pot

Well as she said she always declines the invitations she gets so no wonder. We all have that relative we eventually stop inviting because they never show up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Unlike her sisters, she looks like an embarrassment. Without wanting to be offensive.

I can't stay quiet anymore. The moderators can remove my post if it's too offensive but this is what i feel about Princess Birgitta.

I can't stand this lady and I'm happy that she isn't very often in the spotlight nowdays. It is like she is drunk whenever she speaks in public.

She is rude, arrogant, bitter and most of all jelaous (yes you are Birgitta!) and never misses a chance to stab her brothers family in the back. Luckily the other 3 sisters of the King is not at all like her, atleast not in public.

I am happy that she almost always stays away from royal family gatherings.

I actually don't dislike the princess. She has reached an age that she can get away with most things. She obviously is more blunt than we are used to. Every family has a blunt funny old aunt, and usually they are great favourites within the family ;).

Of course honesty will result in dislike (for not wanting to live in Sweden as she finds it too dark for example), but considering her place down the line I doubt it is very harmful and it is quite refreshing to hear an honest answer instead of the usual simular diplomatic dishonesty that any media-trained person blabbers these days.

What awful things did she say? Apart from not having as much contact with her brother as she likes -which can be a positive thing too, as she likes him enough to regret the lack of contact.

She withdrew the word 'jealous', she actually praises the CPss and prince CP. She even is diplomatic about Sofia.

But since she never misses a chance to stab her brother in the back (quoting HR): what more examples are there than these few remarks (one of which was withdrawn)? I don't know all that much about the princess. Her appearance may not be picture-perfect, but I think it is best not too judge people for their appearance only.

Did any other Haga sister attend the birthday of their cousin, the Queen of Denmark? I don't recall seeing any of them on pictures. The Haga sisters are the most low-key of all royal siblings it seems.

Last edited:
I didn't know she speaks bad about her family...

I always picture her mother, who was an elegant woman. Quite different from Princess Birgitta.

I don't wanna be rude, it's only how i see her.

Svensk Damtidning has an article "9 things you probably didn't know of princess Birgitta".
Among these are that her siblings call her Gittan. And that Birgitta likes to stay at Hotel Diplomat during the family celebrations in Stockholm, while her sisters stay at the guest rooms at the Royal Palace. Birgitta and Désirée are very close.
9 saker du kanske inte visste om prinsessan Birgitta _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
From 3rd to 5th September, the XXIV edition of the traditional Trofeo S.A.R. Princesa Birgitta de Suecia Golf Competition is held at the Golf Santa Ponsa in Mallorca.
Yesterday evening after the official training day, the opening cocktail was held at Hotel Port Adriano Golf & Spa. Heribert Rubiano, hotel sales manager, recalled that is the sixth year the event is held on the terrace overlooking the harbor. Princess Birgitta personally welcomed the guests who joined the evening.
The organizers of the competition have organized various activities for the participants. On Friday after a hard day of competition is a barbecue in the Golf Santa Ponsa II. On Saturday to celebrate the last day of competition will be the traditional delivery of diplomas and a dinner.
Birgitta and some of the guests/players
http://fotos02.diariodemallorca.es/2015/09/03/646x260/jdm048sc008214400manual.jpg
Birgitta de Suecia, anfitriona del golf - Diario de Mallorca
Translation

Program of the competition
https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4047de09bb33edecb1cf947c38f9f750&oe=5662C717

I haven't read a lot about this lady but I do get the feeling that she dances to the beat of her own drum. Got to love her for that!!!!

Back
Top Bottom