Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i believe that victoria's reign would be like the reign of queen margrethe ii of denmark and that the popularity and support of the swedish monarchy will rise in her reign .

i believe that victoria's reign would be like the reign of queen margrethe ii of denmark and that the popularity and support of the swedish monarchy will rise in her reign .

I can easily imagine a day when Victoria is the most loved monarch in Europe, after the eras of QEII and Margrethe are over. The British family will always be the most well-known, of course, but William and Kate just don't have the charisma of Victoria...so when their generation is on the throne my gut tells me the enthusiasm of royal-watchers will be much more focused on her.

I agree with Moonmaiden23 ! Even if the question is who like most very low numbers for the other members! At least the king had double digits.

:previous: Exactly eya.

These numbers are not a robust endorsement for the members of Sweden's Royal House. There is no way to sugar coat it.:ermm:

I don't understand your response, like Ladyfinn said, only 22% voted for no royal at all, so let's assume they don't like the monarchy for arguments sake.
That leaves 78% who *do* like the monarchy enough to have a favorite.
Note that it's not a pole where you have to say if you like certain royal yes or no, no, from the 8 adult royals you are only allowed to name your one top favorite.

Those 78% will be divided amongst 8 adult royals because you can only name 1 royal as favorite, so on average every royal can expect a little under 10% to their name.
Victoria is very popular this is no surprise so she alone gets 42 of the 78%
That leaves 36% which has to be divided by 7 adult royals so each has an average to expect of about 5%

I think it's a very good score for the swedish royals

also a part off the 22% voted that they don't know so the number could be higher than 78% .

also a part off the 22% voted that they don't know so the number could be higher than 78% .

Indeed, the "don't know's" might have been thinking for instance " i love Victoria *and* Daniel so much together that i can't pick one over the other as my one favorite, so i'll just say don't know"... :flowers:

But even with the 4% don't know, and a total of 82% to be divided, it's no surprise Victoria gets half (which would be 41%, well she gets about that at 42%) that would leave 40% to be divided by the other 7 adult royals so on average close to 6% ... the figures in the poll are not surprising around that average, the more prominent royal (the king) getting more than average, the least prominent (Chris) less...
As i said before, only the low percentage of the queen surprised me a bit, but for all we know she might be all swedes' 2nd favorite, but that is not measured in the poll

Actually i think we have this discussion everytime there's a poll like this in Sweden, because posters here think that it is a "how much do you like each royal poll", and in Sweden they usually do a "name your top 1 favorite royal" instead

Last edited:
The quicker the King sees sense and abdicates the better IMO. His responsiblity is to his dynasty and the Throne as well as to Sweden.

:previous: But Carl-Gustaf is not unpopular. According to the poll in this post

2. Should the king abdicate?
Results
40 % answered that the king should stay as the king
34 % thinks that the king should abdicate
26 % don't know

I don't think that the fact that support for the monarchy has been declining is tied to liking or disliking individual royals, rather it is tied to the attitude about people being born into a position of status.

I guess if Carl Gustaf became ill or just wanted to retire he could abdicate with absolute assurance that the new monarch would have support, but I guess I am not seeing that his remaining King compromises the future of the Swedish monarchy.

If you add the numbers for each royal + none of them you get 100. As soon as you ask people to choose out of 8 people the numbers are going to be pretty small. TBH its good that Victoria got 42%. I don't see a problem in the numbers.

Svensk Damtidning has for the first time in partnership with Kantar Sifo conducted a large survey among the Swedish people about the monarchy and the royal family. 1177 randomly selected people in Sweden between 16 years to 80 years answered to three main questions with multiple choices to answer.
The editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, Johan T Lindwall was telling about the survey at TV4 News morning today.

The first question was: When should crown princess Victoria take over after the King?
In a year: 11 %
In 5-10 years: 29 %
When the king dies: 38 %
Don’t know: 22 %

Second question: Should princess Madeleine move back home to Sweden with her family?
Yes: 18 %
No: 31 %
Don’t know: 51 %

Third question: Which three persons you like most at the royal family (in order)? (People could choose three people to their answer)
Crown princess Victoria: 71 %
Prince Daniel: 36 %
King Carl Gustaf: 35 %
Queen Silvia: 23 %
Princess Estelle: 23 %
Don’t know: 22 %
Lindwall says that the monarchy is stronger than for a long time. And that Victoria's majority in popularity is crushing. The Swedes love Victoria because she is both folksy and princesslike. The other members of the royal family stayed outside this percentages.
Hon är populärast i kungafamiljen - Nyhetsmorgon - tv4.se

Last edited:
Again I thought Queen Silvia would have polled stronger!

I think the 51 % in the second question who ticked don't know, are just as much don't care/none of my business -opinions.

The SRF, especially the king, should be deeply grateful for CP Victoria.

I think they would all be cooked without her.:ermm:

Expressen publishes today a survey about the popularity of the monarchy, and the people's trust in it (and there are also good photos at these articles).

The skeptics of our royal house are increasing
Every fifth person has very little trust in the royal house.
- It looks like a growing concern, says Peter Santesson, director of Opinion Analysis on Demoskop.
The figure has increased significantly in just a few years. The distrust is particularly increased among young people,only 27 % of them say they have trust in the royal house, compared with 39 % in the population as a whole.
- You should probably not interpret it as a mistrust of the individuals in the royal house, but rather, it is an expression of tending to be more radical and socially critical politically. Being skeptical of the monarchy as a form of government. It is important for the survival of monarchy to increase the confidence of the young. Keep an eye on the attitude of the young: Here is a criticism of the monarchy that is upward, says Santesson.
Susanna Popova, journalist and author, who has published the book "Vårt bröllop" of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's wedding, takes up the book "Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" as a reason for increased misguidedness.
- If you look for a single reason for this particular figure, it could be mentioned that there was a book at the end of 2010, which was called the scandal book. It led to a few years of discussion about the king and his private life. It's really the only factor I can individually mention, says Popova.
There are 39 % of those who say that they have a lot or fairly high trust. It is a low figure compared to 45 % in 2012 and 41 % in 2010.
- Five years ago, the trust level had gone up in connection with several popular events: the Crown Princess's marriage and birth of Princess Estelle. The current level of confidence largely looks like a return to trust levels in 2010, says Santesson.
Even Popova believes that royal family's private events affect trust - like when the King and Queen married in 1976.
- In addition that the monarchy is a form of government, the Royal family is a role model. It can be seen in all countries that there is always a "first family" that people are reflecting on. There is a basic human need to have such representatives.
Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department, says that the young part of Sweden's population is an important target group for the royal family and the court to reach.
- The Head of state and his family are actively involved. They engage in children's rights and issues relating to children and young people, school visits, not least. We can also improve information for young people about how the Royal family is working and what it means to Sweden.
Although the trust of the king as Sweden's best representative has fallen according to the survey, fewer people want him to abdicate today than three years ago.
- We have a Head of state with over 43 years of experience. With both routine and experience, the king highlights important issues in society. It is a support for the Swedish people and very positive for Sweden, Thorgren says.
Domen mot kungen_ Stödet för monarkin faller
Translation

Victoria is the choice of the Swedish people: "Genuine and true"
Crown Princess Victoria is the Swedish people's favorite. Six out of ten Swedes believe that she, and not her father the king, is the best representative of Sweden.
- You feel she is herself and she is very genuine and true, says Popova.
57 % believe that Crown Princess Victoria is the best representative of Sweden. Only 19 % believe her father, King Carl Gustaf, is the best Swedish representative.
- The king's numbers are falling. He is clearly boarded by Victoria. The question is whether the king has done wrong - or Victoria is so solid, says Santesson from Demoskop.
- The Crown Princess's attitude to her mission is that she can't perform the work in a good way if she is not herself and be genuine and true.
It differs partly from her father's view of the mission as Head of state and king.
- The king is from another generation where you have difficulty resonating that way. It is not relevant to show feelings and vulnerability.
The Crown Princess's attitude is the opposite, and more people in Sweden understand her interpretation than the King's interpretation of the mission, Popova says.
But aren't these inconvenient figures for a Head of state if his daughter is seen as Sweden's best representative?
- Turn it over: What a relief for a sitting regent if he has a daughter and heir to the throne who is so extremely popular. Then you have done something right. Everyone understands that this will continue to work well.
Even Margareta Thorgren sees it as a positive thing that Crown Princess Victoria has such high trust figures.
- It is positive for Sweden that we have a future Head of state with such trust, and that means that there is strong support for the Swedish monarchy as a form of government, even in the future.
Victoria folkets favorit i kungahuset_ _Genuin och äkta_
Translation

The whole survey: Demoskop asked on Expressen's assignment from 1,086 people about their trust in the royal house. The survey was conducted on 29-31 March 2017 with a random phone recruited online panel. To correct any skeins in the sample, the results have been weighed for gender, age and choice of political party. The answers are in some cases rounded and the total can then exceed 100 percent. Comparative figures with previous years are based on corresponding surveys from 2007, 2011 & 2014.

King Carl Gustaf celebrates 71 years - and has been on the throne for over four decades. However, a unique survey conducted by Demoskop on behalf of Expressen shows that the trust of the king is record-low.
Crown Princess Victoria is now the Swedish people's bright favorite - without competition. Nevertheless, the mistrust of the Swedish royal house, especially among the young people, increases.
On this site you can explore the answers in a unique trust survey and find out about who in the royal family is most popular, when the Swedes think the king is going to abdicate and how trust in the royal house has evolved over time.
The figures work only at the swedish version, at least for me. Part of the survey:
In the survey in 2007 45 % people said that Victoria is the best representative of Sweden, now it is 57 %.
The king's figures are: 2007 31 % and now 19 %. Queen Silvias 9 % and now 1 %. Now 21 % have said "I don't know".
Question: Who in the royal house you appreciate most?
Answers: Victoria 50%, king Carl Gustaf 12%, Daniel and Carl Philip 4%, queen Silvia and Madeleine 2%, Sofia 1%, Chris O’Neill 1%, Don't know 24 %.
Question: When do you think the king should hand the throne over to Crown Princess Victoria?
Answers: Within 5 years 49 %, in 10 years 12 %, in 15 years 3 %, in 20 years 1 %, when the king dies 27 %, no answer 8 %.
UNIK ENKÄT_ Så tycker svenskarna om sitt kungahus
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
It is just the same phenomenon we see in more monarchies: individual royals enjoy popularity but the institution of a monarchy (= the head of state is "delivered" by hereditary seccussion) is under pressure when specifically asked: "Would you like to elect your head of state?".

It is very well possible that people actually do like Victoria, Felipe or William but nevertheless have a lesser appeal for keeping a monarchy.

Last edited:
It is just the same phenomenon we see in more monarchies: individual royals enjoy popularity but the institution of a monarchy (= the head of state is "delivered" by hereditary seccussion) is under pressure when specifically asked: "Would you like to elect your head of state?".

It is very well possible that people actually do like Victoria, Felipe or William but nevertheless have a lesser appeal for keeping a monarchy.

That poll didn't specifically include a question though about replacing the monarch with an elected head of State, did it ? In previous polls that did ask whether Sweden should become a republic, I remember that about 60 % of the respondents said 'No', which is a comfortable majority.

It should be also stressed that declining trust in the monarchy as an institution doesn't necessarily translate into automatic support for the abolition of the monarchy. In the United States for example, there are frequent polls showing declining trust in the presidency, or in Congress, or in the press, but there isn't any significant movement to replace the president and Congress with some other system of government, or to impose press controls. I guess it is just a normal feature of modern society that people in general do not trust traditional institutions, including even the church(es).

Last edited:
What surprised me on the Expressen poll is how low the rest of the SRF is. Victoria will take the throne one day and she can't carry the burden alone. It will be years before Estelle and Oscar can take on roles. The court needs to do in some introspection to look at the low numbers and what needs to be tweaked in order for the monarchy to make it.

What surprised me on the Expressen poll is how low the rest of the SRF is. Victoria will take the throne one day and she can't carry the burden alone. It will be years before Estelle and Oscar can take on roles. The court needs to do in some introspection to look at the low numbers and what needs to be tweaked in order for the monarchy to make it.

You are right.

Madeleine is pretty much out in this context. She can only contribute in a limited way, living abroad and only being able to go on travels alone.
Not to mention that she for various reasons is not particularly popular among the Swedes. - A little unfair IMO.

So it's very much up to Carl-Phillip and Sofia. They need to really get into character.
Okay, they've had a soft beginning, with Sofia becoming pregnant and small children and needing to find a footing as a couple. Not to mention that Sofia is new in the job.
However, fortunately and contrary to what I personally feared, Sofia's past hasn't had such a big impact and she has actually done well herself.
So they are the ones to who has to really get into gear. - Anything else would honestly be a waste. - They are an attractive couple. Even if they don't take on really heavy duty jobs, they can still represent Sweden all over the place and look good at the same time.

Last edited:

When people have to choose who the most popular person is in the Swedish royal family, and they overwhelmingly pick Princess Victoria, you can not make the conclusion that the rest of the family enjoys a low popularity. It is just an in-build consequence of this way of polling.

When I pick Victoria, I can not pick Carl Gustaf, Carl Philip, etc. because my only vote went to Victoria. It says nothing about my respect and esteem for both named gentlemen.

:flowers:

You are right.

Madeleine is pretty much out in this context. She can only contribute in a limited way, living abroad and only being able to go on travels alone.
Not to mention that she for various reasons is not particularly popular among the Swedes. - A little unfair IMO.

So it's very much up to Carl-Phillip and Sofia. They need to really get into character.
Okay, they've had a soft beginning, with Sofia becoming pregnant and small children and needing to find a footing as a couple. Not to mention that Sofia is new in the job.
However, fortunately and contrary to what I personally feared, Sofia's past hasn't had such a big impact and she has actually done well herself.
So they are the ones to who has to really get into gear. - Anything else would honestly be a waste. - They are an attractive couple. Even if they don't take on really heavy duty jobs, they can still represent Sweden all over the place and look good at the same time.

That Carl Philip and Sofia could work more, the king and queen must work less. Or the government must give a lot bigger apanage to the court. It seems obvious that Victoria and Daniel will work more next year than this year when they both have some time of parental leave.

:previous:

Is the Swedish monarchy under-funded in finances?

You are right.

CP and Sofia are not full-time working royals. If the Swedes want them to be full-time royals, they should fund them, which is currently not the case. CP and Sofia only get indirect funding from the King's appanage when they are reimbursed for some (occasional) public duty they perform on behalf of the King. CP and Sofia don't have their own household or staff either. In fact, I believe they may not even have security paid for by the State.

Last edited:
:previous: What does the public say? In there a wish for seeing more of CP and Sofia on the job?

And if CP and Sofia express a wish for doing more official work, surely the government won't turn them down? And that should mean more funding.

:previous:

Is the Swedish monarchy under-funded in finances?

The Royal court website says that the court administration got SEK 65 million in 2015 (about US$ 7.4 million at today's exchange rate). That amount was split between the King's Household, the Queen's Household, Crown Princess Victoria's Household, and the Royal Mews (responsible for royal transportation). Then, the Palace Administration, which is responsible for the maintenance of the royal palaces and the royal collection, got another SEK 62.5 million in the same year.

Finally, the Royal Djurgården Administration (KDF) actually brought in another SEK 139 million in 2015 (mostly through commercial leases and rents), but I suppose revenues from the KDF are probably used to pay for its own expenses and then reinvested in the Djurgården estate, so they don't make a contribution to the court's operational expenses.

Overall then, not counting the KDF revenue, it looks like the royal budget in 2015 was around 14-15 million US dollars, which is far less than the Dutch royal house's budget for example. Maybe some of the Swedish posters have more updated figures

Last edited:
When people have to choose who the most popular person is in the Swedish royal family, and they overwhelmingly pick Princess Victoria, you can not make the conclusion that the rest of the family enjoys a low popularity. It is just an in-build consequence of this way of polling.

When I pick Victoria, I can not pick Carl Gustaf, Carl Philip, etc. because my only vote went to Victoria. It says nothing about my respect and esteem for both named gentlemen.

:flowers:

:previous: This. I actually believe that a lot of people like other members of the family (like Carl Philip and Sofia), but they like Victoria more, so they vote for her. I think that we need to give things more time.

My prediction: In 10 years from now, the king will have abdicated, and Victoria will be queen. By that time the king will also retire, and Carl Philip and Sofia will step up to help out with royal duties.

Madeleine is pretty much out of the picture. I'm quite sure that she'll stay abroad with her family. That means that her children will be taken out of the line of succession, but that's not a problem. There are three - soon four - other children of their generation ahead of them, so the succession is secure.

Carl-Philip & Sofia does a lot of work already and I dont see any need for them to do even more at the moment. Sofia was doing solo events only a few months after getting married & havent slowed down after that. The pair is clearly being groomed to be the supporting act to Victoria & Daniel and are already seen at big events as tv-awards, sports events etc that a queen wont have time for. Added to that Sofia has her charity work and I see her taking over many of the things Silvia & Christina have spent a lot of time doing such as childrens rights, welfare issues...

Back
Top Bottom