Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They think it´s not an accurate republic if there is a king, who has many rights. That´s one point. Other see the financial "problems". And other think it´s not modern.

Obviously some swedish don't know the development of the forms of government in Europe.Constitutional Monarchy is a very modern form.

I would be interested in what polls say now after the wedding? From what I heard the crowds turned out to be larger than expected with about 500,000 people on the streets!

There were several factors going against the monarchy lately. The cost of the wedding in a recession, Princess Madeleine's broken engagement, Prince Daniel's image.

I think the wedding has helped to turn things around, and Daniel has proven himself a worthy consort.

Are there quite a lot of republicans?More than 20 %?

I heard that there was quite a furor caused because Victoria wanted her father to walk her down the aisle and this was against swedish traditions.The church felt is was an anglo saxon sexist tradition and wanted her to walk down with Daniel.There was a compromise and her father walked her down halfway but people said that the swedes were quite unhappy with the royal family for this.

I worked in polling before, and to conduct a good, accurate poll is really quite hard. You have to make sure you have a representative sample, make sure your questions are worded impartially, etc. There, it's very likely that one poll less than 60% are in favor or the monarch and another poll cites a very different number. And you'll certainly get very different numbers if you asked whether someone "supports the monarchy" versus "opposed the monarchy" versus "thinks they should abolish the monarchy." They are all very different questions, so when it comes to polls, always keep in mind what they ask and how you ask (internet vs. telephone, how many people, etc.)

Not to be funny but does anyone pay attention to the International Tribune anymore?

"The global edition of the New York Times". I do!:flowers:

I didn't know that the IHT was not considered anymore, but actually they write about the SRF and they mess up Carl Philipp, Jonas, Emma, Sofia and Madeleine :ohmy: that's not journalism.

Which are the most anti-monarchist newspapers in Sweden?

To this anti-monarchist group in Sweden, consider yourself lucky that the King is not an absolute monarchist or someone who believes in the Divine Right of Kings doctrine. You would be in big trouble. In other places in the world, Divine Right of Kings doctrine is practiced by dictators who are not royalty.

I was appalled by someone in this group who was quoted as saying that once the Swedish Monarchy was abolished, the King would be given leniency. Not only does this group want to abolish the Swedish Monarchy it sounds like from this comment that they would like to take the King to court or file charges against him. Charges that would be bogus just like accusing CP Victoria and Princess Daniel of corruption.

The republican federation in Sweden rose from a membership of 1500 members to around 6000 during the weddingpreparations.

Most of the opposition against the monarchy this year is due to Madeleines breakup, called Maddegate in Swedish media.

Every papers editorials are antimonarchy in general, but the rest of the paper is wery promonarchy. Why else would Aftonbladet have 60 pages of the wedding the day after the wedding, the pink Sportbladet inside with sport have 30 pages of sport only and then the rest of the paper were around 10-20 pages(2 editorials, 3 culture and a number of advertising only pages)

A monarchy is cheaper then a parliamant. The people are paying for the delegates pensions. And we know that there are more delegates than royals.
But please correct me, if I´m wrong!

A monarchy is cheaper then a parliamant. The people are paying for the delegates pensions. And we know that there are more delegates than royals.
But please correct me, if I´m wrong!

Well Swedish monarchy does have a parliament. If you want to know if it's cheaper a monarchy or a republic you have to compare the cost of the royal family to the ones of the president of a republic.

Anti-moncharist rose in numbers because of Princess Madeline's breakup. You have got to be kidding me. That makes No Sense as she was the one who was wronged. But it sounds like she is being blamed for the break-up. I guess these people have to find something. Sad isn't it?

Two polls measured support for the monarchy to be around 70%. One poll found that support for the monarchy had declined by 4% from 2009 while another found that it had increased by 6% since the wedding (go figure). It also says that only 51% want the King to stay on the throne and twice as many want him to abdicate than in February, possibly due to the new book.
Allt fler vill se Victoria på tronen | Inrikes | SvD

Two polls measured support for the monarchy to be around 70%. One poll found that support for the monarchy had declined by 4% from 2009 while another found that it had increased by 6% since the wedding (go figure). It also says that only 51% want the King to stay on the throne and twice as many want him to abdicate than in February, possibly due to the new book.
Allt fler vill se Victoria på tronen | Inrikes | SvD

There is another way to look at those stats. The people opposed to monarchy have also become less in those numbers. Its the unsure precentage that has grown.

There is another way to look at those stats. The people opposed to monarchy have also become less in those numbers. Its the unsure precentage that has grown.

Stats can be interpreted in almost any way. I was just giving a summary of the article (as accurately as Google Translate allows). :flowers:

Stats can be interpreted in almost any way. I was just giving a summary of the article (as accurately as Google Translate allows). :flowers:

And you did a fine job. I just gave my impression of the articles i read about that survey today

is that mean that they want the king and princess victoria? I don't know swedish.

It means that most of the people want the king to step down in favor of Victoria.

Not necessarily, only that they liked Victoria better this time ;)

From todays Aftonbladet:
Who is the best head of state among the royal family:
60 % think Victoria is best(70 % of the women, 49 % men)
25 % thinks the king.(19 % of the women, but 31 % of the men)
9 % are unsure
3 % think Carl-Philip
Madeleine, Silvia and Daniel all get 1 %

You do you like the most
56 % favors Victoria
18 % are unsure
10 % like Madeleine the most(almost double % of males vs females)
8 % likes the king
4 % likes Silvia most
3 % likes Carl-Philip most
Just 1 % likes Daniel the most

Well I would imagine that Victoria has had more public face time because of the wedding this year.

And frankly, it does appear that she does a lot of engagements. Not saying that the King and Queen don't but Victoria is the future and seen as such. Which isn't a bad thing IMO.

From todays Aftonbladet:
Who is the best head of state among the royal family:
60 % think Victoria is best(70 % of the women, 49 % men)
25 % thinks the king.(19 % of the women, but 31 % of the men)
9 % are unsure
3 % think Carl-Philip
Madeleine, Silvia and Daniel all get 1 %

You do you like the most
56 % favors Victoria
18 % are unsure
10 % like Madeleine the most(almost double % of males vs females)
8 % likes the king
4 % likes Silvia most
3 % likes Carl-Philip most
Just 1 % likes Daniel the most

Why not post all the results from the survey?

The other charts shows 27 % would like the King to turn over role to Victoria within 5 years, 21 % within 10 years and 30% not until he dies. Very different results compared to above.

Back
Top Bottom