The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I think "which member of the royal family do you have the greatest confidence in" or "which member of the royal family is your favorite" is a legitimate and informative question on which to poll the public, and as JR76 said, Sifo is a reputable polling agency. What is disappointing is the misrepresentation of the poll, in certain reports, as something it is not.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Even if Ms. Alexandersson is the foremost royal reporter in the country, "Svensk Damtidning's figures show that Princess Madeleine has a 0% rate of trust with the Swedish people" is an inaccurate and misleading way to describe a poll which asked "In which member of the royal family you have the greatest confidence?"

As Marengo pointed out, the fact that 0% of Swedes consider Princess Madeleine the most trustworthy member of her immediate family does not imply that 0% of Swedes have any trust in her at all.

I do not know what the statistical margin of error may be, but it is worth noting that apart from the Crown Princess and King, no other royal received more than 3% of the votes.
I'm more to blame for a bad translation than Jenny Alexandersson is for deliberately misleading her readers. In a Swedish language context it's quite clear, at least to me, that she refers correctly to the survey question. Though you're right in that she could have been even clearer.

Instinctively (I'm to lazy to look for older surveys) I doubt that Princess Madeleine has ever had that much higher figures than this. I'm more surprised by the low figures for the Queen, but then again her job is to support her husband not outshine him.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Besides this confidence-question, at the survey Kantar Sifo made for Svensk Damtidning was asked:
When should the crown princess take over the throne?
Within a year 17 %
Within five to ten years 31 %
When the king dies 29 %
Uncertain/do not know 23 %

Did the king make the right decision when he removed the HRH titles from Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children?
Yes 54 %
No 7 %
Uncertain/do not know 40 %

Did Chris O'Neill do the right thing by refusing a princely title?
Yes 59 %
No 4 %
Uncertain/do not know 37 %

Whom of the royal family would you like to have as a neighbor?
Crown princess Victoria 25 %
King Carl Gustaf 11 %
Prince Daniel 6 %
Prince Carl Philip 5 %
Princess Madeleine 4 %
Princess Sofia 4 %
Princess Estelle 3 %
Queen Silvia 1 %
Chris O'Neill 1 %
Princess Christina 1 %

Which of the family's female members dresses best?
Crown princess Victoria 25 %
Princess Madeleine 12 %
Princess Sofia 6 %
Queen Silvia 4 %
Uncertain/do not know 51 %

Which of the family's male members dresses best?
Prince Carl Philip 25 %
Prince Daniel 13 %
King Carl Gustaf 7 %
Chris O'Neill 1 %
Uncertain/do not know 53 %

Was it right for Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine to buy a mixed breed dog?
Yes 52 %
No 6 %
Uncertain/do not know 42 %

Page1 ** Page2 ** Page3 ** Page4 ** Page5 ** Page6 ** Page7 ** Page8 ** Page9 ** Page10
Old 06-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Majesty

That last questions seems to come completely out of the blue. Why is this even asked? Is it a controversial issue?
Old 06-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That last questions seems to come completely out of the blue. Why is this even asked? Is it a controversial issue?
The Swedish Kennel Club had a fit last year when Victoria and Daniel bought a mixed breed dog. There was even calls for the King to step down as patron. Svensk Damtidning, true to form, wants to milk what they called a scandal but most people don't care at all about a little more
Old 06-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Swedish Kennel Club had a fit last year when Victoria and Daniel bought a mixed breed dog. There was even calls for the King to step down as patron. Svensk Damtidning, true to form, wants to milk what they called a scandal but most people don't care at all about a little more
You gotta be kidding?

I thought dog breeders were supposed to be dog-lovers first and foremost - regardless of the dog's parents...
Talk about stepping in it!
Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You gotta be kidding?

I thought dog breeders were supposed to be dog-lovers first and foremost - regardless of the dog's parents...
Talk about stepping in it!
Victoria and Daniel were called irresponsible because they bought something else than an approved breed and the Kennel Association feared that by doing so they encouraged others to do the same. Naturally it's all about money. Un-approved breeds = less money for the kennels that are members of the association.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Majesty

So who is going to buy/take in dogs of mixed breed.....
Old 06-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The question about the dog was so silly & hard to take anything else in the poll as credible after that.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
So who is going to buy/take in dogs of mixed breed.....
There isn't supposed to be any mixed breed dogs.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
really? Serously? They think they can keep dogs "pure"?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post

Did the king make the right decision when he removed the HRH titles from Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children?
Yes 54 %
No 7 %
Uncertain/do not know 40 %

Did Chris O'Neill do the right thing by refusing a princely title?
Yes 59 %
No 4 %

[...]

Was it right for Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine to buy a mixed breed dog?
Yes 52 %
No 6 %
Uncertain/do not know 42 %

Page1 ** Page2 ** Page3 ** Page4 ** Page5 ** Page6 ** Page7 ** Page8 ** Page9 ** Page10
It is interesting to see that the responses to each of these "was it right" questions included a high number of "uncertain"s compared to a very small number of "no"s. I wonder if there is some hesitancy on the part of members of the public to explicitly criticize the royal family, causing those who are uncomfortable with the decisions to say "uncertain" rather than "no"?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Would there have been the same fit thrown if they had adopted a mixed breed dog from a shelter, instead of purchasing one from a breeder?

Aren't poodle-mixes like Rio's supposed to be better where allergies are concerned? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a health issue, like with the Obamas.

I think they have a problem because Rio is clearly too adorable for the haters.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is interesting to see that the responses to each of these "was it right" questions included a high number of "uncertain"s compared to a very small number of "no"s. I wonder if there is some hesitancy on the part of members of the public to explicitly criticize the royal family, causing those who are uncomfortable with the decisions to say "uncertain" rather than "no"?
I think it's more a case of uncertain = I haven't thought about it, I don't care.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Confidence is hard currency for royalty. That's how it is and that's important. Without confidence, they lose relevance and without relevance, there is also no support from the people, says Jenny Alexandersson.
Aftonbladet

Tags
king carl xvi gustav, sweden