Opening of Parliament, Riksdagen 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the information - but no pic of the king and queen by attend the concert last night, only in the car? :sad:

I think one of the articles said they went through a side entrance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason for the black clothes tradition? Just wanted some background info for the blog. :flowers: And the first svenskdam gallery 'cannot be found'.

Is there a reason for the black clothes tradition? Just wanted some background info for the blog. :flowers: And the first svenskdam gallery 'cannot be found'.

before 1975 The ceremony took place in the castle in the so called "parlament hall" and it was a very grandeur event.

Now to answer your question, The black clothes has it's origin from the ladies court-dresses.

Those were the days :)

Is there a reason for the black clothes tradition? Just wanted some background info for the blog. :flowers:
The black-and-white tradition was re-introduced by Queen Silvia in 1983, when the Opening of Parliament (a very dull and casual affair from 1975 to 1982 without any ceremonial aspect) was upgraded a bit again to its current form with carriage ride, big entrance of the royal family and more formal dress code.
Black-and-white was indeed chosen to pay homage to the historic full-lengh Swedish Court Dress in black velvet with black-and-white sleeves, which was previously worn with ermine trains and tiara to the Opening of Paliament ceremony at its former location in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace.

The black-and-white tradition was re-introduced by Queen Silvia in 1983, when the Opening of Parliament (a very dull and casual affair from 1975 to 1982 without any ceremonial aspect) was upgraded a bit again to its current form with carriage ride, big entrance of the royal family and more formal dress code.
Black-and-white was indeed chosen to pay homage to the historic full-lengh Swedish Court Dress in black velvet with black-and-white sleeves, which was previously worn with ermine trains and tiara to the Opening of Paliament ceremony at its former location in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace.

Thank you very much, :flowers:

It is a lovely tradition then.

Actually, the Court Dress still exists, as it was also re-introduced by Queen Silvia in the mid-1980s to be worn optionally by the ladies of the Swedish Court at the grand occasions like state banquets.
It's a variation of the old Court Dress in design, in midnight blue velvet with the characteristic white criss-cross bands on the sleeves.

The silver dress that Victoria wears tonight is absolutely horrible!! and that necklace :sick:

Not my favorite dress but I have seen worse. She probably favors a trapeeze style dress for comfort.

OMG! What is Victoria wearing? You can`t go to the opera dressed like that:-((

Photos:

Swedish royal family attends the opening of the parliament, Riksdagen, 15-09-2011 - royalpress.nl

Billed-Bladet - Den svenske kongefamilie var samlet til Riksdagen-åbning

Yesterday, the Prince Daniel had his 38-year-birthday. But he had to wait with the celebration. He and the rest of the royal family had a busy schedule throughout the day when they attended the opening of parliament. The evening ended with a show at the Royal Opera and it was not until just before ten that Daniel was able to begin his private celebration.
He did not appear to suffer from some major midlife crisis. Aftonbladet met the prince when he and the royal family left the event.
"Happy 40th anniversary!"
- Haha. It was cool said. But thank you very much, Daniel said.
- It was good, Madeleine laughed.
The prince did not say how he would celebrate his birthday. But according to court it will be a relatively quiet evening.
- It's nothing major. He will celebrate the birthday in private with his closest family, said Bertil Ternert from the court.
Nej – du är inte 40 än, prins Daniel … | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Madeleine looked spectacular at both events. Victoria looked very nice at the Parliament opening and while her dress at the opera, was quite dazzling and she could have been located in a heavy, dense fog, I give her a pass. Victoria is so happy with her Daniel and her life now that she can't stop smiling. I give her a break. I think the King and Queen are happy now with Daniel.
I always look forward to the Swedish Parliament opening much as Queen's Day in the Netherlands.

I just can´t understand, why the king always looks so grumpy and angry. You can look serious, like Daniel, but always grumpy, not good.

Back
Top Bottom