Opening of Parliament, Riksdagen 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! All the ladies looked beautiful as always. The Swedish Royal Family knows how to dress! lol Victoria's jewelry added alot to her outfit, glad she wore it! Madde looked pretty, but her hat was a little too down on her face. Carl Phillip was as handsome as ever!

I actually don't like Victoria's outfit. It's dull for me same w/ Madeleine's. The colors are not right. The Queen is elegant imo. Why don't they wear sashes like the Dutch RF? I've read an article that the Queen of Sweden wears black during the opening of the parliament as a tradition.;)

Boris I loved your comment, you summed up the hats in such a great sentence :D. Changing the subject from apparel . I would like to thank you for posting part of the Kings speech. The king appears to be a very intellegent/articulate man, i'm not sure why people give him so much flack. He always appears to be quite knowledgable and know his boundaries. Does anyone know if that speech was written by someone else, or did he write it?

Pictures from the annual Opera gala which ends the day of the Riksdag's opening:

IMO, CP Victoria's outfit would look much better on her mother :rolleyes: - who in turn wore her 'pillow on the shoulder' blouse which I had hoped never to see again, one of her VERY rare fashion faux pas :ohmy:! Princess Madeleine looks pretty and I actually like Prince Carl-Philips long hair but his use of hair gel is excessive...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics from the opera evening. :flowers:

Could it be that Victoria wore the same outfit for the parliament opening - with changed hats & jewelry - as she did in 2005? Because the fabric does indeed look the same.

Well, dear members, I for one deeply regret that they did away with all the pomp, circumstance, jewels, throne and display of regalia. All this democritization is boring and inane. They should go back to the good old days and juice everything up. Otherwise you have nothing more than a bunch of the ususal elected hacks playing their ususal political games. As for the virtues of democracy, apart from being able to get rid of one batch of scoundrels and replacing them with another without having to shoot the first batch, there aren't any.

Would someone who can read SWedish be so kind as to translate the king's speech, I would appreciate it. Beatrix speech at the opening of the Dutch parliment was lovely and so much better, so vastly better than the bilge we get here in that bastion (or joke) of democracy, the US of A. I would be interested in reading what the good king had to say. At least now they are allowing him to say something. Cheers.

Well, dear members, I for one deeply regret that they did away with all the pomp, circumstance, jewels, throne and display of regalia. All this democritization is boring and inane. They should go back to the good old days and juice everything up. Otherwise you have nothing more than a bunch of the ususal elected hacks playing their ususal political games. As for the virtues of democracy, apart from being able to get rid of one batch of scoundrels and replacing them with another without having to shoot the first batch, there aren't any.

Would someone who can read SWedish be so kind as to translate the king's speech, I would appreciate it. Beatrix speech at the opening of the Dutch parliment was lovely and so much better, so vastly better than the bilge we get here in that bastion (or joke) of democracy, the US of A. I would be interested in reading what the good king had to say. At least now they are allowing him to say something. Cheers.
I have translated the beginning of the King's speech here and summarized the rest.

Opening of Parliament 2008

On September 16th it will be the annual opening of Swedish parliament. King Carl XVI Gustav, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Madeleine are expected to attend.

Post all the information, links to pictures, questions etc. about the event in this thread.

Victoria looks great today!!! :flowers:

Queen Silvia and King Carl Gusted and in the background Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Madeleine and Prince Carl Philip are see arriving to the Great Cathedral in Stockholm for a church service in connection with the opening of the Parliament in Stockholm, Sweden , September 16, 2008.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2640rk6.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ezqttf.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/10ht8r5.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/33kdvmb.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/2unvqyt.jpg
anp

Last edited:
Today's the big day. The ceremony in the chamber, with the royal family, will begin in 20 minutes.

SVT is transmitting: svt.se - 24 Direkt (press Se direktsändning (vardagar ca 9.30-16.00)) in the sidebar.

All the royal family look good today!!

Princess Victoria is gorgeous!!! Hope to see more pics of her!

is there any gala dinner planned for tonignt?

They all look good, but why do they all need to be in black?

they looks lovely but prinsess Madeleine is most beautiful ! she looks great in black !!
but what is the reason to wearing black this year !!!!!

Victoria's outfit is stunning, really flattering. I'm not as keen on what Madeleine is wearing.

Victoria looks great, Queen Silvia just fine, and Madeleine a bit matronly.

Silvia looked fine today, a bit too much black for my taste.
Victoria was absolutely beautiful - from shoes to headpiece, she was just stunning.
Madeline is a very pretty girl and the suit is quite nice but I just don't think black is really her colour. nor are strickt and buisness-like outfits. I believe she could still look nice if her stockings weren't black but skin-colour, like Victoria's.
Carl Philip and the King were elegant and handsome, as usual.

Some more pictures from getty - http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=82834586#

Victoria was the fashion star of the event:wub: She looked amazing!!!!

Victoria was gorgeous today! I even liked her headpiece. Does anyone know the designer of her outfit?

The dresses pattern are OK but were they in a funeral???

Too much black.

The dresses pattern are OK but were they in a funeral???

Too much black.
In this thread jinigirl explained that it is tradition that the women of the Royal Family are dressed in black and/or white for that occasion, because those were the colors of the court dress, which was worn in former times for the opening of the parliament.

Thank you indeed! I kept wondering why Madeline wore black because it's hardly one of her preffered colours.

Victoria looked very good today! I was amazed when i turned on the tv a bit before the broadcast from the opening of parliment should start to find that SVT broadcasted the opening of parliment from 1974 (the last time that it was held in the Royal Palace with the king on the throne and pomp) before todays live broadcast - I just wish i would have turned it on earlier... :bang:

No pics from yesterday evening???

thanks for those fantastic pics!!!

Yesterday night, princess Victoria was very elegant in black and white!!

High pomp as Dutch and Swedish royals open their parliaments

Tuesday's festivities coincided with the opening of Sweden's parliament, the Riksdag, which Crown Princess Victoria attended along with her parents, Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf.
The pomp and circumstance was an opportunity for the royal clan to present a united front after Victoria this week defended her father against suggestions he was blocking a possible engagement with her boyfriend Daniel Westling.

King Carl Gustaf, and his children Victoria, Carl and Madeleine were presiding over a similar occasion in their country - http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2008/09/17/princes-day-holland/imgs/princes-day-3a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom