On This Day: Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, February 13, 1660 ~ Demise of King Karl X Gustav of Sweden at Gothenburg, Sweden

On this day, March 2, 1341 ~ Demise of Margaret of Denmark, Queen Consort of King Birger of Sweden

On this day, March 2, 1341 ~ Demise of Margaret of Denmark, Queen Consort of King Birger of Sweden

The exiled queen Margrete or Märta died at St. Peter's Abbey in Næstved but is buried at St. Bendt's Church, Ringsted in Denmark.

On this day, March 12, 1781 ~ Birth of Frederica of Baden, Queen Consort of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden

On this day, March 29, 1792 ~ Demise of King Gustav III of Sweden at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden

On this day, March 29, 1792 ~ Demise of King Gustav III of Sweden at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden

The king was assassinated during a masquerade ball at the royal Palace :previous:

On this day, March 30, 1871 ~ Demise of Queen Lovisa of Sweden, born Princess Louise of The Netherlands, wife of King Charles XV of Sweden

On this day, April 19, 1689 ~ The demise of Queen Christina of Sweden in Rome, Italy

On this day, April 19, 1689 ~ The demise of Queen Christina of Sweden in Rome, Italy

The former monarch is buried at the Vatican and also one of the few women to be buried in the Papal crypt and was also given a splendid funeral paid for by the Pope.

On this day, April 28, 1676 ~ Birth of King Fredrik I of Sweden at Kassel, Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel

On this day, April 28, 1676 ~ Birth of King Fredrik I of Sweden at Kassel, Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel

Frederick was Prince Consort from 1718 until 1720 when his wife Queen Ulrika Eleonora abdicated in his favour.

He to the best of my knowledge has been the only Swedish Prince Consort to date?

Frederick was Prince Consort from 1718 until 1720 when his wife Queen Ulrika Eleonora abdicated in his favour.

He to the best of my knowledge has been the only Swedish Prince Consort to date?
Yes and no. Frederick is so far the only man to have ever been married to a Swedish queen but he never carried the title of Prince Consort. Instead he was created a Prince of Sweden with the style of HRH by his wife in December 1718 which was approved by Parliament in March 1719.

Yes and no. Frederick is so far the only man to have ever been married to a Swedish queen but he never carried the title of Prince Consort. Instead he was created a Prince of Sweden with the style of HRH by his wife in December 1718 which was approved by Parliament in March 1719.

Are you sure that he was created a Prince of Sweden? I only read that he was created HRH by his wife and Parliament, and the title Prince of Sweden was not officially in use by the royal family at the time (princes in the line of succession were strictly Sveriges Arvfurste up to 1982, when the present King altered it to Prins av Sverige).

Are you sure that he was created a Prince of Sweden? I only read that he was created HRH by his wife and Parliament, and the title Prince of Sweden was not officially in use by the royal family at the time (princes in the line of succession were strictly Sveriges Arvfurste up to 1982, when the present King altered it to Prins av Sverige).
From where I've read (only secondary sources) he was created Prince of Sweden. I did find two mentions of him on page 26 of the SOU* 1977:5:
1 - "Added to that (Princess) Ulrika Eleonora's husband, the Hereditary Prince Frederik of Hesse was a member of the Reformed Church"
2 - "the following year the Queen abdicated in favour of her husband Prince Frederik" implying (atleast that's how I interpret it) that there had been a change of title when his wife was elected queen (though the SOU doesn't style him as Prince of Sweden).
Regarding arvfurste he could never have carried the title without being included in the line of succession which he never was.

*For those of you who don't know an SOU is the name of an official series of reports of committees appointed and convened by the*Government of Sweden for the analysis of issues in anticipation of a proposed legislation before the*Riksdag or the issuance of*ordinances.

Last edited:

My mistake for assuming he was Prince Consort so Prince Daniel could well be the 1st Swedish Prince Consort.

My mistake for assuming he was Prince Consort so Prince Daniel could well be the 1st Swedish Prince Consort.
He could be, yes. I wouldn't mind to have a specific title for the spouses of Sweden's two future queens.

On this day, May 1, 1920 ~ Demise of Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden, wife of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden

On this day, May 3, 1826 ~ Birth of King Carl XV of Sweden at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden

On this day, May 3, 1826 ~ Birth of King Carl XV of Sweden at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden
At the time of his birth he was the son of Crown Prince Oscar of Sweden and Crown Princess Josephine, he was created Duke of Scania from birth.

On this day, May 22, 1823 ~ The Wedding of King Oscar I of Sweden and Josephine of Leuchtenberg at the Leuchtenberg Palace in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, May 22, 1823 ~ The Wedding of King Oscar I of Sweden and Josephine of Leuchtenberg at the Leuchtenberg Palace in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria
The first of two wedding ceremonies for the couple this Catholic ceremony in Bavaria was done by proxy with the groom represented by the bride's uncle Prince Karl Theodor of Bavaria.
The 15 year old bride, who was already fluent in Swedish, left for Sweden, and the husband that she had only met once before, two days later together with her entourage. Also accompanying her was the Mistress of the Robes to be, Countess Marcelle Tascher de la Pagiere, who not only was the niece of her mother-in-law Queen Desideria but also married to a first cousin of Josefina's grandmother, the late Empress Josephine.
They were met in Lubeck by the two cousins Mariana Koskull and Sweden's premier noblewoman Countess Aurora Brahe. Also there to met Josefina, and to finally return to Sweden after 12 years abroad, was her new mother-in-law Queen Desideria.

Last edited:
On this day, May 31, 1592 ~ The Wedding of King Sigismund III Vasa and Anna of Austria

On this day, May 31, 1592 ~ The Wedding of King Sigismund III Vasa and Anna of Austria

Anna was later crowned Queen of Sweden at Uppsala Cathedral in a Lutheran ceremony and by all accounts the fervent Catholic queen viewed the ceremony with distain.
The queen had previously been crowned Queen of Poland and Grand Duchess of Lithuania in a Roman Catholic Ceremony at Kraków.

Anna_Austriaczka.JPG

After Anna's death in 1598 Sigismund married her sister Constance in 1605.

After Anna's death in 1598 Sigismund married her sister Constance in 1605.

And by this time Sigismund was deposed as king of Sweden.
Constance was crowned queen of Poland and Grand Duchess of Lithuania in December,1605.

342px-Konstancja_Habsbur%C5%BCanka.jpg

On this day, June 4, 1134 ~ Demise of King Magnus I of Sweden at the Battle of Fotevik

On this day, June 6, 1857 ~ The Wedding of Prince Oscar (future King Oscar II) of Sweden and Sophia of Nassau at the Castle in Wiesbaden-Biebrich, Duchy of Nassau

On this day, June 7, 1876 ~ Demise of Queen Josefina of Sweden, born Josephine of Leuchtenberg, wife of King Oscar I of Sweden

On this day, June 15, 1905 ~ The Wedding of Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden and Princess Margaret of Connaught at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle

On this day, June 16, 1858 ~ Birth of King Gustaf V of Sweden at Drottningholm Palace in Drottningholm, Sweden

On this day, June 17, 1682 ~ Birth of King Charles XII of Sweden at Tre Kronor Castle

On this day, June 19, 1850 ~ The Wedding of King Charles XV of Sweden and Louise of The Netherlands in the Storkyrkan in Stockholm, Sweden

On this day, June 20, 1566 ~ Birth of Sigismund III Vasa, King of Sweden at Gripsholm Castle in Mariefred, Sweden

On this day, July 3, 1743 ~ Birth of Sophia Magdalena of Denmark, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Gustav III of Sweden

On this day, July 4, 1799 ~ Birth of King Oscar I of Sweden in Paris, France

On this day, July 8, 1859~ Demise of King Oscar I of Sweden

On this day, July 9, 1836 ~ Birth of Sophia of Nassau, Queen of Sweden, spouse of King Oscar II of Sweden at Biebrich Palace in Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, July 9, 1836 ~ Birth of Sophia of Nassau, Queen of Sweden, spouse of King Oscar II of Sweden at Biebrich Palace in Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau

Up until 2011 Sophia of Nassau was the longest serving Swedish queen consort 1872 –1907 and also I believe the last Dowager Queen 1907-1913.

Back
Top Bottom