The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2021, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
On this day, April 28, 1676 ~ Birth of King Fredrik I of Sweden at Kassel, Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel
Frederick was Prince Consort from 1718 until 1720 when his wife Queen Ulrika Eleonora abdicated in his favour.

He to the best of my knowledge has been the only Swedish Prince Consort to date?

Old 04-28-2021, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Frederick was Prince Consort from 1718 until 1720 when his wife Queen Ulrika Eleonora abdicated in his favour.

He to the best of my knowledge has been the only Swedish Prince Consort to date?
Yes and no. Frederick is so far the only man to have ever been married to a Swedish queen but he never carried the title of Prince Consort. Instead he was created a Prince of Sweden with the style of HRH by his wife in December 1718 which was approved by Parliament in March 1719.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Yes and no. Frederick is so far the only man to have ever been married to a Swedish queen but he never carried the title of Prince Consort. Instead he was created a Prince of Sweden with the style of HRH by his wife in December 1718 which was approved by Parliament in March 1719.
Are you sure that he was created a Prince of Sweden? I only read that he was created HRH by his wife and Parliament, and the title Prince of Sweden was not officially in use by the royal family at the time (princes in the line of succession were strictly Sveriges Arvfurste up to 1982, when the present King altered it to Prins av Sverige).
Old 04-28-2021, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Are you sure that he was created a Prince of Sweden? I only read that he was created HRH by his wife and Parliament, and the title Prince of Sweden was not officially in use by the royal family at the time (princes in the line of succession were strictly Sveriges Arvfurste up to 1982, when the present King altered it to Prins av Sverige).
From where I've read (only secondary sources) he was created Prince of Sweden. I did find two mentions of him on page 26 of the SOU* 1977:5:
1 - "Added to that (Princess) Ulrika Eleonora's husband, the Hereditary Prince Frederik of Hesse was a member of the Reformed Church"
2 - "the following year the Queen abdicated in favour of her husband Prince Frederik" implying (atleast that's how I interpret it) that there had been a change of title when his wife was elected queen (though the SOU doesn't style him as Prince of Sweden).
Regarding arvfurste he could never have carried the title without being included in the line of succession which he never was.

*For those of you who don't know an SOU is the name of an official series of reports of committees appointed and convened by the*Government of Sweden for the analysis of issues in anticipation of a proposed legislation before the*Riksdag or the issuance of*ordinances.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
My mistake for assuming he was Prince Consort so Prince Daniel could well be the 1st Swedish Prince Consort.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
My mistake for assuming he was Prince Consort so Prince Daniel could well be the 1st Swedish Prince Consort.
He could be, yes. I wouldn't mind to have a specific title for the spouses of Sweden's two future queens.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Moved a further reply here: Titles of the Swedish RF and Changes 2019
Old 05-01-2021, 02:07 AM
Majesty

On this day, May 1, 1920 ~ Demise of Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden, wife of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden
Old 05-03-2021, 02:03 AM
Majesty

On this day, May 3, 1826 ~ Birth of King Carl XV of Sweden at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden
Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
On this day, May 3, 1826 ~ Birth of King Carl XV of Sweden at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden
At the time of his birth he was the son of Crown Prince Oscar of Sweden and Crown Princess Josephine, he was created Duke of Scania from birth.

Tags
house of bernadotte, swedish history, swedish royalty