On This Day: Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, July 13, 1889 ~ Birth of Louise of Battenberg (Lady Louise Mountbatten), Queen of Sweden, second wife of King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden

At the time of her birth Louise was a Princess of Battenberg and from 1917 until her marriage she was styled Lady Louise Mountbatten.

On this day, July 16, 1782 ~ Demise of Louisa Ulrika of Prussia, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Adolf Frederik of Sweden

On this day, July 16, 1782 ~ Demise of Louisa Ulrika of Prussia, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Adolf Frederik of Sweden

The queen dowager was very unpopular at the time of her death in 1782 having meddled for many years behind the scenes.

382px-Luise_Ulrike_von_Preu%C3%9Fen_-_Queen_of_Sweden.jpg

On this day, July 24, 1720 ~ Birth of Louisa Ulrika of Prussia, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Adolf Frederik of Sweden, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, August 5, 1828 ~ Birth of Queen Louise of Sweden and Norway, wife of King Carl XV of Sweden and Norway. She was born Princess Louise of The Netherlands in the Hague, The Netherlands.

The marriage of the future king and queen in June 1850 would have been possibly the only such Dutch-Swedish union?

598px-Karl_XV_och_Lovisas_av_Nassau-Oraniens_f%C3%B6rm%C3%A4lning_1850._Hemkomsten_till_Kongl._slottet%2C_1850-06-19_-_Nordiska_Museet_-_NMA.0051134.jpg

The marriage of the future king and queen in June 1850 would have been possibly the only such Dutch-Swedish union?

598px-Karl_XV_och_Lovisas_av_Nassau-Oraniens_f%C3%B6rm%C3%A4lning_1850._Hemkomsten_till_Kongl._slottet%2C_1850-06-19_-_Nordiska_Museet_-_NMA.0051134.jpg
Quite strangely it was, yes. The Netherlands is the country with which Sweden has had the longest uninterrupted diplomatic relations, but there were never any attempts to seal them with a marriage alliance. I'm guessing because during the 17th & 18th century the Dutch were closer allied with the Danes while Sweden often allied with France.
Three Swedish princes were considered suitable matches for Princess Juliana, but when she was thrust together with Prince Carl at the Kent wedding in London she found him immature and didn't like him at all. It was a pity since he ticked all the boxes (Non-German, Protestant, from a ruling house, two sisters as queen/future queen...) and had made a good impression on everyone in her entourage.

Interesting I did not know that about Princess Juliana and the Swedish Princes.

On this day, August 7, 1862 ~ Birth of Victoria of Baden, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Gustav V of Sweden, in Karlsruhe, Grand Duchy of Baden

On this day, August 16, 1573 ~ Birth of Anna of Austria, wife of King Sigismund III of Sweden, in Graz, Austria

On this day, August 21, 1813 ~ Demise of Queen Sofia Magdalena of Sweden spouse of King Gustav III of Sweden, at Ulriksdal Palace in Sweden

On this day, August 21, 1813 ~ Demise of Queen Sofia Magdalena of Sweden spouse of King Gustav III of Sweden, at Ulriksdal Palace in Sweden

Her husband was assassinated in 1792 and her son was deposed in 1809 the queen dowager lived into the reign of her brother in law Carl XIII.

453px-Pilo_Swedish_Queen_Consort.jpg

On this day, August 26, 1551 ~ Demise of Margareta Leijonhufvud, Queen of Sweden, wife of Gustav Vasa I of Sweden

On this day, August 26, 1551 ~ Demise of Margareta Leijonhufvud, Queen of Sweden, wife of Gustav Vasa I of Sweden

Margaret Leijonhufvud who was a Catholic queen was a benefactor of both Vadstena Abbey and Vreta Abbey which were still active despite the Swedish Reformation.

lossy-page1-314px-Margareta_Leijonhuvud%2C_1513-1541%2C_drottning_av_Sverige_%28Johan_Baptista_van_Uther%29_-_Nationalmuseum_-_15104.tif.jpg

Margaret Leijonhufvud who was a Catholic queen was a benefactor of both Vadstena Abbey and Vreta Abbey which were still active despite the Swedish Reformation.

lossy-page1-314px-Margareta_Leijonhuvud%2C_1513-1541%2C_drottning_av_Sverige_%28Johan_Baptista_van_Uther%29_-_Nationalmuseum_-_15104.tif.jpg
Margareta Eriksdotter was the second cousin once removed of her husband, the King. Since surnames were still not used in Sweden at the time and people used patronymics instead she wasn't known by the name of Leijohufvud during her lifetime. It wasn't until the late 16th century that noble families started creating surnames based on their family crests. Being both a (somewhat) close relative of King Gustav and a member of the highest echelons of the Swedish nobility made her the perfect choice of bride. Another important reason for choosing her was that a match with a foreign princess would be both costly and the process to time consuming. The country needed a queen and the King needed a mother for his son Erik and someone to bear him more sons. Margareta became highly respected and much loved by both her husband and the Swedish people and it's believed that it was partly her skills when dealing with the troublesome aristocracy and foreign diplomats that finally secured the throne for the new dynasty. Her husband is famously said to never have been unfaithful to his wife.

Her husband is famously said to never have been unfaithful to his wife.

Yes I read that before and were said to have had a very happy marriage despite the difference in religious beliefs.
Her death was greatly mourned.

Yes I read that before and were said to have had a very happy marriage despite the difference in religious beliefs.

Her death was greatly mourned.
There wasn't that much of a difference in beliefs at the time. Although protestantism had gained a large following in the country the reformation as introduced by Gustav I was more a political movement than one based on faith. It wasn't until later, especially during his son King Johan, that the divide was made more distinct.

Last edited:
On this day, September 13, 1612 ~ Demise of Karin Mansdotter, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Eric XIV of Sweden, in Finland

On this day, September 13, 1612 ~ Demise of Karin Mansdotter, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Eric XIV of Sweden, in Finland

Karin's tenure as queen was very short from July 1568 to January 1569 when her husband King Eric XIV was deposed and they were both imprisoned.
Prior to her marriage Karin had been the king's mistress.
The queen dowager who died in Turku is buried at is buried in the Cathedral of Turku in Finland.

Stenrelief_av_Karin_M%C3%A5nsdotter_i_%C3%85bo_domkyrka..jpg

Karin's tenure as queen was very short from July 1568 to January 1569 when her husband King Eric XIV was deposed and they were both imprisoned.

Prior to her marriage Karin had been the king's mistress.

The queen dowager who died in Turku is buried at is buried in the Cathedral of Turku in Finland.

Stenrelief_av_Karin_M%C3%A5nsdotter_i_%C3%85bo_domkyrka..jpg
At time of her death Karin was one of three living Swedish Queen Dowagers one of whom was her stepmother-in-law Queen Katarina. If that sounds much she was during a few of the last years of the 16th century one of four living queens and queen dowagers.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
At time of her death Karin was one of three living Swedish Queen Dowagers one of whom was her stepmother-in-law Queen Katarina. If that sounds much she was during a few of the last years of the 16th century one of four living queens and queen dowagers.

There were quite a few Swedish queens during that period and 2 outlived her.

Catherine Stenbock +1621
Christina of Holstein-Gottorp +1625

There were quite a few Swedish queens during that period and 2 outlived her.

Catherine Stenbock +1621

Christina of Holstein-Gottorp +1625
To confuse the matter even more at one time the three living queens were all named Katarina (Karin is a more informal variety of the name) and they all once met at the "Meeting of the three Queens Katarina" at Svartsjö castle in 1582.

Last edited:
And there were quite a few Swedish queen's in the 16th century.

Christina of Saxony 1497-1501
Isabella of Austria :1521-1526
Catherine of Saxe-Lauenburg 1531-1535
Margaret Leijonhufvud 1536-1551
Catherine Stenbock 1552-1560
Karin Månsdotter 1567-1568
Catherine Jagiellon 1568-1583
Gunilla Johansdotter Bielke 1585-1592
Anne of Austria 1592-1598

On this day, September 16, 1583 ~ Demise of Katarina Jagiellon, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Johan III of Sweden, in Stockholm, Sweden

On this day, September 16, 1583 ~ Demise of Katarina Jagiellon, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Johan III of Sweden, in Stockholm, Sweden

Catherine Jagiellon was politically active and especially where the Papacy hwas concerned.
The queen also financed repairs to Vadstena Monastery and in 1575 it was again allowed to accept new novices.
Her death in 1583 must have been a blow for the plans of the Counter Reformation.

470px-Franciszek_Streitt_-_Katarzyna_Jagiellonka.jpg

On this day, September 18, 1872 ~ Demise of King Charles XV of Sweden in Malmo, Sweden

On this day, September 23, 1535 ~ Demise of Katarina of Saxe-Lauenburg, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Gustav I of Sweden, in Stockholm, Sweden

On this day, September 23, 1535 ~ Demise of Katarina of Saxe-Lauenburg, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Gustav I of Sweden, in Stockholm, Sweden
Today she is most known because of the longstanding rumour that she was killed in a fit of rage by her husband who is to have hit her in the head with a hammer. She wasn't though.

On this day, September 24, 1513 ~ Birth of Katarina of Saxe-Lauenburg, Queen of Sweden, wife of King Gustav I of Sweden, in Ratzeburg, Duchy of Saxe-Lauenburg

Back
Top Bottom