Official Visit from Japan to Sweden: May 22-23, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
May 21, 2007 - Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko leave Tokyo on a world tour that includes an official visit to Sweden. In this post by Avalon, they are saying goodbye to their family before boarding the plane.

On May 22nd, they will be greeted by their majesties the King and Queen of Sweden in Stockholm.

Happy posting!

Last edited:
Just to clarify, this is not a state visit - it's an official visit. Very rare and special yes, but still only an official visit paid by the Imperial Couple to Sweden and a the other countries included on this tour. The main purpose of it is to celebrate the tercentenary of Carl von Linné.

GrandDuchess said:
The main purpose of it is to celebrate the tercentenary of Carl von Linné.

and what is the trecentenary of carl con linne ?

A little off-topic but does anyone know when the Emperor and Empress are coming to the UK and if so, where can we see them?

BeatrixFan said:
A little off-topic but does anyone know when the Emperor and Empress are coming to the UK and if so, where can we see them?

May 28-29, 2007 :)

BeatrixFan said:
They arrive on the 27th and leave on the 29th. According the the Japanese Foreign Ministry, this is their agenda:

* Ceremony of Linnaeus Tercentenary Anniversary Celebrations (The Linnean Society)

* Dinner hosted by Her Majesty the Queen (Buckingham Palace)

* Luncheon hosted by The Rt Hon the Lord Patten of Barnes, CH, the Chancellor of the University of Oxford (Trinity College)

* Visit to Helen & Douglas House

GrandDuchess said:
* Dinner hosted by Her Majesty the Queen (Buckingham Palace)
Will it only be a private Dinner between the two Royal couples?According to the British Royal Engagements Diary, the Dinner is listed. And will other members of the Royal Family attend as well, i wonder?

As we're still in Sweden.Princess Victoria welcomed the Imperial Couple at Stockholm Arlanda airport yesterday ahead of the visit that officially starts today.Due to the time-difference between Japan/Europe yesterday was used to acclimatise/adjust to the time difference.

dazzling said:
and what is the trecentenary of carl con linne ?

They are celebrating Linné´s 300th birthday. Tercentenary means 300 years jubilee

(one of the great things about this site is that one learns so many new words. Thank god for my glossary :)

Photos of May 22 from Profimedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Emperor Akihito and Swedish King Carl Gustaf (R) stand by a grave of Carolus Linnaeus in a church in Uppsala, 23 May 2007.

ANP Beeldbank

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko wave to the crowd as they leave along with Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoriaa festive event in the University hall in Uppsala, 23 May 2007. Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko were the guests of honour Wednesday at festivities in Sweden marking the 300th birthday of Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus, who invented the current system of classifying organisms

ANP Beeldbank

Last edited:
Queen Silvia and the Empress seem to get on so well! They have such a good relationship which is always so nice to see. Did Princess Lilian meet the Emperor and Empress at all?

lucien said:
PPE Agency

courtesy ppe/albert nieboer.
:flowers:

Victoria & the queen looked very pretty today. Victorias outfit was a real hit, colorful, very neat. Empress Michiko gown was also beautiful, the flowers went really well against her dress/kimono.

Princess Robijn said:
Statevisit of the Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan to Sweden with princess Victoria (gala)

Well well, dont they all look beautiful today? abit dissapointed on Victorias choice. I always find the emprss to be in very clean straigt cuts which is nice for her age and size.
I do have a question, anyone knows where Madeleine is?

Swedish Crown Princess Victoria (L) talks with Japanese Emperor Akihito
Japanese Empress Michiko
Japanese Emperor Akihito (L) chats as he walks with Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf

Isnt this a cute picture?!
(anp pictures)

Last edited:
the empress necklace looks like one of the necklaces that you can find in the swedish collection. i would love to see them side by side in close up

More PPE agency photos of the banquet in Uppsala castle on May 23, 2007.

Profimedia photos of the banquet and their visit to the university hall on May 23, 2007

Last edited:
Interesting choice of colour by the Empress for her kimono yesterday. She almost always wears pink, but that light blue with the gold obi might have been chosen as a compliment to Sweden's national colours.

Words can't properly describe how beautiful Victoria looks!:flowers: I love her gown. Has she worn that one before?

kerry said:
Words can't properly describe how beautiful Victoria looks!:flowers: I love her gown. Has she worn that one before?

Yes, multiple times..

Princess Robijn said:
Yes, multiple times..

Ouch!!!:lol: Is that the reason no one else was excited by the dress? LOL!!! She definitely believes in recycling her clothes. I also like the aqua looking skirt outfit but I guess she's probably worn that before too?

There seems to have been a bit of a protocal miscommunication. At least it seems so, with the Empress wearing a tiara and the swedish royal ladies not doing so.

Does anyone know of a reason for this?

Empress said:
I wonder the same thing, a shame Victoria and Silvia didn´t wear any gorgous tiaras.

Victoria looks really good, and she looks really ready to be queen! :flowers:

Empress said:
There seems to have been a bit of a protocal miscommunication. At least it seems so, with the Empress wearing a tiara and the swedish royal ladies not doing so.

Over at the Scandinavian MB it was said that the annual dinners held by the universities are white tie with orders, but without diademes and that maybe the swedish RHousehold thought that this was known, but the japanese did not know that. Thus the empress packing a diademe and wearing it. :)

The fact that the Swedish royal ladies do not wear tiaras to academic events does not preclude a visiting royalty to wear one. Perhaps the two royal houses knew what they were doing!!

Back
Top Bottom