King Gustaf V (1858-1950) and Victoria of Baden (1862-1930)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2,461
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,087
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,199
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,287
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5,254
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,241
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,050
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,050
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,109
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,493
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,035
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,999
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,061
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think Carl Gustaf will look like him when he is at the same age.... King Gustaf V seems so fragile

Giving the Nobel Prize for Phsics in 1946 to Percy William Bridgman

Gustav V (1858-1950) and Queen Victoria.

In 1946 at Övedskloster

Inspecting the troops with Gustav Adolf in Skåne in 1935

Irene Curie-Joliot and Frederic Joliot accepting their Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1935. with princess Sibylla and Prince Gustav Adolf standing by.

Throne speech at the opening of the Parliament on 9/9/1939 at Rikssalen

At Harlösa, the home of Baron Otto Ramel of Ekebäck in the 1930s.

In conversation with an officer in Skåne in 1935 with Gustaf Adolf in the background.

With his hunting buddies in the 1940s at Överdskloster

At the 40th year Jubilee.

In Skåne in 1933

August 18, 1948 : King Gustav V of Sweden with his great-grandchildren at Solliden castle. From left to right, Princess Birgitta, the King and, on his knees, Crown Prince Carl Gustav , Princesses Margaretha(behind the king), Princess Sybilla, Princess Christina(in front of her mother) and Princess Desiree next to her mother.

At Övedskloster in 1946

With Wilhelm II of Germany at Övedskloster in the 1910s.

With County Governor Fredrik Ramel of Knutssalen at Malmö City Hall on 7/11 1934.

With the Finnish and Danish, Foreign Ministers and Presidents, the Kings of Norway and Denmark and the Swedish foreign minister on 10/10/39(Geez. I wonder what they were discussing...)

At the party for his 85th birthday on June 16th, 1943 with the commander-in-chiefs of the various branches of the Swedish military

Visiting a Konsum(grocery store) in 1935 in Stockholm. Incidentally, you can buy sardines with the King´s photo

on it at Konsum now.

In Stockholm on October 17, 1935 with Gustaf Adolph and Louise

from the childrens day 1940

Attachments

• 10650060_1.jpg
    10650060_1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 522
but was he ever set up with other princesess in europe that was looked on as sutible future queens of sweden

Last edited by a moderator:
Josefine said:
but was he ever set up with other princesess in europe that was looked on as sutible future queens of sweden
Gustav's mother Sophia (of Nassau, check her out at http://img449.imageshack.us/img449/13/3d2tq.jpg) wanted her son to marry the brittish princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter of the legendary queen Victoria and prince Albert. But it didn't turn out that way, and Sweden had to wait until the next generation for a brittish princess to marry a swedish prince. Gustav's and Victoria's son Gustav (VI) Adolf first married Margareth of Connaught, who would become the grandmother of Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and Margarethe II of Denmark, and after her premature death, he married again, and this time, his bride was Louise Mountbatten, who didn't have any children, but eventually became the queen of Sweden. But back to Gustav and Victoria. Queen Sophia wanted her son to marry the brittish princess Beatrice, but finally, everything spoke in the favor of the german princess Victoria of Baden. Her mother was the daughter of the german emperor, and her father's mother was a swedish princess. We have no idea what a marriage between Gustav and Beatrice would have been like, but even if Gustav and Victoria kind of fell apart over the years, their marriage started as a happy one. Queen Sophia was however never pleased with Victoria and despised her daughter-in-law's love for militarism.

Here are some pictures of Gustav and Victoria.
http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/4373/4c7dd.jpg Gustav as a crown prince in 1899.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9182/4d3ue.jpg Victoria of Baden in her younger days.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6450/3030su.jpg King Gustav V in his older days.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6804/3044qt.jpg Queen Victoria in 1915.

Last edited:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ao5r8y.jpg
I have found this picture, I think it portrays the Swedish Roya Family, during King Gustav V later years. Does anyone know in which occasion was it taken?
And can someone help me in giving a name to the portrayed people? I can recognize only the old King, sat in the middle of the picture, and Crown Princess Martha of Norway, the second sat from left; Crown Prince (later King) Gustav Adolf of Sweden (2nd row, the 2nd from right), Prince and Princess Harald of Denmark (2nd row, 4th and 5th from right), Prince Carl of Sweden (2nd row, 2nd from left) and Crown Princess (later Queen) Louise of Sweden (2nd row, 3rd from left).

Last edited:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ao5r8y.jpg
I have found this picture, I think it portrays the Swedish Roya Family, during King Gustav V later years. Does anyone know in which occasion was it taken?
And can someone help me in giving a name to the portrayed people? I can recognize only the old King, sat in the middle of the picture, and Crown Princess Martha of Norway, the second sat from left; Crown Prince (later King) Gustav Adolf of Sweden (2nd row, the 2nd from right), Prince and Princess Harald of Denmark (2nd row, 4th and 5th from right), Prince Carl of Sweden (2nd row, 2nd from left) and Crown Princess (later Queen) Louise of Sweden (2nd row, 3rd from left).

This picture was taken on the occasion of the 806th birthday of king Gustav V. in 1938.
Seated in the first row the third lady is huis sister-in-law Grand Duchess Hilda of Baden,
in the second row: fifth from left: Princess Thyra of Denmark (has to be here as she earlier owned the tiara which is now in Norway), Margracine Theodora of baden, Princess Ingeborg

This picture was taken on the occasion of the 806th birthday of king Gustav V. in 1938.
Seated in the first row the third lady is huis sister-in-law Grand Duchess Hilda of Baden,
in the second row: fifth from left: Princess Thyra of Denmark (has to be here as she earlier owned the tiara which is now in Norway), Margracine Theodora of baden, Princess Ingeborg
I like how sometimes in these group photos, if you can't identify people from their faces, you can at least identify the ladies from their jewelry, especially the tiaras!

:previous:
Only if you know all the tiaras...
Btw, 2nd row, first from left is Prince Vilhelm of Sweden. And isn't Prince Bertil the one standing between Prince Vilhelm and Prince Carl?

their marriage was a political one his father oscar admired the germans and and he want the other fellow to seen as equal since some refuse to recognize the bernadotte as a equals and whith a marriage to a granddaughter of the german kaiser and of princess sophie of sweden daughter of king gustav iv adolf it was a way to bring the lines of the legitimate house of holstein-gottorp into the bernadotte who was adopted also victoria father was seen by some who refuse to recognize the bernadotte reings as the claimant and her offspring will without a doubt claim the holsten gottorp title of pretense and become king .also he will be the first king to be born into a somewhat full royal parent and i read thats why he was so upset when his sons went on to marry commoners or nobles

I like how sometimes in these group photos, if you can't identify people from their faces, you can at least identify the ladies from their jewelry, especially the tiaras!

What a wonderful picture and dressed as they are and with all the magificant beards and mustaches, they really do look lik royals.

I miss King Leopold III , the late Queen Astrid's Husband.
Was their Relationship bad because the King was guilty for their terrible car crash ?

Such a long lived King,I read that he holds the record of being the oldest Swedish monarch and the second-longest reigning after Magnus IV.

Last edited:
Oscar III?

King Gustaf V's full name was Oscar Gustaf Adolf. Are there any early records where he was listed as Prince Oscar of Sweden?

On Grand Ladies website, SUBALBUM on Victoria of Baden mentioned:

Victoria of Baden made immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy by her opposition to progressive forces in Sweden and her pro-German policies during World War I and, probably, with her Prussian demeanor. :queen3::flowers::queen3::flowers::queen3:

Victoria of Baden made immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy by her opposition to progressive forces in Sweden and her pro-German policies during World War I and, probably, with her Prussian demeanor. :queen3::flowers::queen3::flowers::queen3:

She sure did. Just saying her name would get my dear, sweet old grandfather going for quite a while and he wasn't even born until 1928. She definitely wasn't a popular person.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm a bit confused by the flowers icons (especially in combination with the post of JR76); am i right to conclude that her "immense contribution" was in a negative way?

I'm a bit confused by the flowers icons (especially in combination with the post of JR76); am i right to conclude that her "immense contribution" was in a negative way?

Victoria of Baden's immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy was in a positive way.

Back
Top Bottom