June 6 - Sweden's National Day (2003-2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the pictures!

Thank you, fanletizia, for posting the pictures from National Day. :flowers:

I love to see Crown Princess Victoria in this folk costume! She looks lovely and wonderful. Just as her mother, the Queen, always does, when she is wearing folk costumes.

thanks for the info! would be great to be in stockholm for the national day festivities!

madeleine looked gorgeous and so did victoria in the vastergotland bunad!

I see Madeleine has taken up the ponytail look just when Victoria seems to be losing it...

That is the first thought that popped into my mind when looking at the pictures.....;)

Just wondering, does anybody else (besides the royals) in Sweden dress up in National Costume every now and then, like in Norway? And did Princess Lilian ever show up in a national costume, I don't think I ever saw a picture of her wearing one.

Madde looks very nice and radiant. Her clothes reminds me Victoria's somehow.

I like this photo when they both opening the gate - it reminds me the Secret Garden:D

norwegianne said:
Madde strålte på nasjonaldagen - kjendis.no - I really like the picture in the end of this article, when Carl-Philip and Madeleine are opening the doors. The size of the doors against them makes them look like two small children wondering what's inside. :D
What a great pic! I love how Madeleine is peeking around the door. What do the doors lead to?

marezdote said:
What a great pic! I love how Madeleine is peeking around the door. What do the doors lead to?

I like that one too! The door is so huge, it makes them seem much smaller than they actually are! Is there a website in English where I can find out more about Sweden's National Day? Like traditions, activities, and other things like that that the royals and the regular Swedes do. It seems like such an interesting day.

I was wondering, is National day celebrated all around the country? Or is the palace really the main focus of the event?

Victoria looked really cute in her outfit, i loved the little hat...
Beautiful pictures of everyone, all had great smiles...

Hopefully someone can help with this question. I know that National Day is not really a big occasion yet in Sweden (having only been a national holiday for two years). Looking through the pictures of celebrations of this year and in the past, I see HM and the princesses in traditional attire for the occasion. Some other women also sometimes follow suit. But I rarely, if ever, have seen men wearing a traditional male costume. The King and Carl-Philip are always in business suits (certainly THIS isn't the traditional garb for Swedish men!). In Norway, CP Haakon and his family are all traditionally attired for National Day ceremonies. And Ari Behn wore traditional garb to their wedding. Does anyone know why the gender difference in Sweden?

Thanks,

Mapper

That picture of Princess Lilian kissing the little girl is amazing and really shows how lovely the Princess is. It's so nice to see her in public again.

Thanks for the pics :flowers:

The two sisters looks like young girls in their costumes. ;)

A short info about the Swedish National day from wikipedia.org

National holiday of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hereditary Mapmaker said:
Hopefully someone can help with this question. I know that National Day is not really a big occasion yet in Sweden (having only been a national holiday for two years). Looking through the pictures of celebrations of this year and in the past, I see HM and the princesses in traditional attire for the occasion. Some other women also sometimes follow suit. But I rarely, if ever, have seen men wearing a traditional male costume. The King and Carl-Philip are always in business suits (certainly THIS isn't the traditional garb for Swedish men!). In Norway, CP Haakon and his family are all traditionally attired for National Day ceremonies. And Ari Behn wore traditional garb to their wedding. Does anyone know why the gender difference in Sweden?

Thanks,

Mapper

I found this pic of a Swedish family wearing their national costume

http://www.sverigedrakten.se/story/SvDrFamilj2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
magnik said:
Few photos of the RF
Gekroonde Hoofden

Great pictures of the swedish royal family. Victoria always seems so happy and confortable with her duty, she will be a great queen. Her father is so shy and introspective and she seems the opposite of it.
And loved Madeleine's outfit, simple and charming. It caused a good contrast with her tanned skin.

Thank you for all the pictures! They are all lovely! :flowers: I'm going to put the national day of Sweden in my calendar from now on.

I've never seen Madeleine so happy to perform her royal duties! The pictures of her grinning and peeking inside while opening the palace gates (as if she didn't know what's in there) are just too precious. I really hope to see more of her.

Victoria is her usual self.... :) I like King Carl Gustaf, but I'm excited for the day that Victoria becomes Queen (in the distant future)!

Last edited:
Photo more on Swedens day? Princess Lilian kisses one girl on photo! She see out lovely and much beautiful dress, grand old lady 91 age!!!

galatea_12 said:
I found this pic of a Swedish family wearing their national costume

http://www.sverigedrakten.se/story/SvDrFamilj2.jpg

Thanks so very much for the response, Galatea! I hope someone else can help explain why the gentlemen in the royal family choose to wear business suits rather than a similar outfit to the "father" in this picture. I think he looks very sharp in his traditional outfit.

Mapper

Maybe i can help answering as a swede. In Sweden there isn´t any strong tradition in wearing folkdräkt among common people as in Norway. The reason for that i don´t really know, but i can say that noone i know (who isn´t a dancer in a folk-dance group) own a folkdräkt, and wouldn´t put one on even for a million dollars.... It´s only a very small group that ever dress themself in a folkdräkt and generally speaking the are considered kind of dorky...

That´s my view atleast maybe someone else from Sweden has another view. I can assume that folkdräkt is more common in Dalarna region, wich have a strong sence of history.

rop81 said:
Maybe i can help answering as a swede. In Sweden there isn´t any strong tradition in wearing folkdräkt among common people as in Norway.

.... It´s only a very small group that ever dress themself in a folkdräkt and generally speaking the are considered kind of dorky..

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU, rop81!!!! It confirmed my suspicions that at least at the present time, the Swedish population in general is not really interested in history and traditional things, at least in terms of costume. I also felt that these garments were considered "dorky" in Sweden. At least I know now how the general public feels AND have an example of what the male costume usually looks like.

Thanks again to anyone who may have helped answer this for me.

Mapper

June 6, 2008 - Sweden's National Day

Previous years
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-sweden-s-national-day-through-times-3469.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-2003-sweden-s-national-day-429.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-2004-sweden-s-national-day-2500.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-2005-sweden-s-national-day-6095.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-2006-sweden-s-national-day-9837.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-2007-sweden-s-national-day-12801.html

:swedenflag:Programme for the day:swedenflag:

10.00 The King and Queen opens "Open Palace." Opening ceremony at Slottsbacken, the Royal Palace.

11.00 The King and Queen participates in the National Day celebrations in Södertälje

11.00 The Crown Princess participates in the National Day celebrations in i the municipality of Kungälv, Västergötland

18.25 The Royal family travel by horse and carriage from the Royal Palace to Skansen.

19.00–20.00 National day celebrations at Skansen. (transmitted at SVT 2 kl. 20.30)

21.00 Taking the flag down at the Royal Palace and Norrbro.

22.00 The army's marching band performs at Yttre borggården

Enjoy :flowers:

what years has a members not taken part of the celebration at skansen?

Back
Top Bottom