June 6 - Sweden's National Day (2003-2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cute photo. Madeleine looks like she´s ready to fight somebody. :D

Dennism said:
Cute photo. Madeleine looks like she´s ready to fight somebody. :D
haha, you´re right. She really does

June 6, 2006 - Sweden's National Day

nationaldagenflagga4fl.jpg

Picture by Richard Ryan via Sweden.se

Next Tuesday is 6 June, Sweden's National Day!

This year the Royal Couple will be going to the city of Malmö in Skåne County (the very south of Sweden) to attend the municipality's celebrations, and Crown Princess Victoria is this year following her parents tradition of attending the National Day celebrations in another part of the country, as she will be going to Sundsvall, in Västernorrland Country (northern parts) during the day.

The traditional afternoon celebrations at Skansen will be aired via SVT, Swedish Television, and hosted by Agneta Bolme Börjefors. Some of the announced artists for Skansen are Barbara Hendricks, Christer Sjögren, Tomas Ledin and Daniel Lemma.

Background info: Every year, the Royal Couple traditionally attends the National Day celebrations in another part of Sweden (other than the area around the capital), and for the past few years the Royal Court have organised something they call "Open Palace" at the Royal Palace of Stockholm, a festive day were the gates are opened and special things open for the public are held.

In the afternoon the Royal Family travels by Royal Cortège from the Royal Palace of Stockholm to the Skansen Open Air Museum on Royal Djurgården, were invited guests from the official Sweden, and members of the public whom gather at the outdoors stage, celebrate the day with music, speeches and the awarding of a Swedish flag from the hands of the monarch to specific organisations, whom earns it due to their work (they have to apply for this, and some are chosen every year).

In the evening, the King and Queen, joined by the Royal Family, host a reception and buffet for members of the Diplomatic Corps, the official Sweden and other guests.

So that means that the royal children wont be at the Open palace event this year?

Yennie said:
So that means that the royal children wont be at the Open palace event this year?
On the official website's programme for "Open Palace" this year, no royals are mentioned. But I guess this could be decided later on as well, perhaps Carl Philip, Christina or Lilian could do the opening this year?! That would be nice! :)

Will Princess Madeleine be back from the US yet. (I know it says when she comes back somewhere, I just can't find it)

Madeleine is supposed to come back sometime during June but I don't know if it's as soon as next week. Hopefully she will be back since she is a member of the SRF and National Day is a pretty big event for them. Also, Madeleine should take as many opportunities doing official duties now if she's serious about going back to NYC after the summer.

GrandDuchess said:
nationaldagenflagga4fl.jpg

Picture by Richard Ryan via Sweden.se

Next Tuesday is 6 June, Sweden's National Day!

This year the Royal Couple will be going to the city of Malmö in Skåne County (the very south of Sweden) to attend the municipality's celebrations, and Crown Princess Victoria is this year following her parents tradition of attending the National Day celebrations in another part of the country, as she will be going to Sundsvall, in Västernorrland Country (northern parts) during the day.

The traditional afternoon celebrations at Skansen will be aired via SVT, Swedish Television, and hosted by Agneta Bolme Börjefors. Some of the announced artists for Skansen are Barbara Hendricks, Christer Sjögren, Tomas Ledin and Daniel Lemma.

Background info: Every year, the Royal Couple traditionally attends the National Day celebrations in another part of Sweden (other than the area around the capital), and for the past few years the Royal Court have organised something they call "Open Palace" at the Royal Palace of Stockholm, a festive day were the gates are opened and special things open for the public are held.

In the afternoon the Royal Family travels by Royal Cortège from the Royal Palace of Stockholm to the Skansen Open Air Museum on Royal Djurgården, were invited guests from the official Sweden, and members of the public whom gather at the outdoors stage, celebrate the day with music, speeches and the awarding of a Swedish flag from the hands of the monarch to specific organisations, whom earns it due to their work (they have to apply for this, and some are chosen every year).

In the evening, the King and Queen, joined by the Royal Family, host a reception and buffet for members of the Diplomatic Corps, the official Sweden and other guests.

On which time will the Royal Family travel to Skansen ?? and will it be carriage or by car ?? I will by in Stockholm from 03. until 07. June and would like to see the Family if possible. Also i read somewhere that Victoria in the morning opens the Royal palace to the public. Is there a time known ??

Stefan said:
On which time will the Royal Family travel to Skansen ?? and will it be carriage or by car ?? I will by in Stockholm from 03. until 07. June and would like to see the Family if possible. Also i read somewhere that Victoria in the morning opens the Royal palace to the public. Is there a time known ??
In the official programme for the National Day, it says that the Royal Cortège will start at 18:25 (6:25 PM) from the Royal Palace, and it will end at 19:00 (7 PM) at the Skansen Open Air Museum, when they arrive.

I don't know if Crown Princess Victoria will open the "Open Palace" this year, the only thing that has been made public so far is that she willl be going to Sundsvall during the day, and the King and Queen to Malmö. We'll have to wait and see for the official calendar release tomorrow to know for sure. But the "Open Palace" is set to open at 10:00.

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Carl Philip will open this year's "Open Palace" at the Royal Palace of Stockholm on the National Day.

I guess Madeleine won't be making if back for National Day. I hope she would have been able to since her plans were to come back in June. I guess she's coming in the middle or at the end of June. :cool:

Victoria was up early today and went to the Palace in Stockholm. I saw an interview with her at TV 4 earlier

Now I guess she is on her way to Sundsvall in northern Sweden. She will take part in the celebrations there between 14-16 and then she will go back to Stockholm again

Last edited:
the first photo's

Sweden_National_Day_7-UKP-1.jpg

Sweden_National_Day_6-UKP-1.jpg

Sweden_National_Day_3-UKP-1.jpg

Sweden_National_Day_8-UKP-1.jpg

source: glittering royal message boards

Images From PPE

Attachments

• 06060606.jpg
    06060606.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 374
  • 06060601.jpg
    06060601.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 06060603.jpg
    06060603.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 06060604.jpg
    06060604.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 06060609.jpg
    06060609.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 396
  • 06060617.jpg
    06060617.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 274
  • 06060620.jpg
    06060620.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 06060622.jpg
    06060622.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 06060624.jpg
    06060624.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 362
  • 06060628.jpg
    06060628.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
More images from PPE

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 386
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 354
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 534
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Oh I love that suit! Thats a really good colour on Victoria!
but the shoes?! What was she thinking :rolleyes: they are to non-summerish for my taste

Here´s the interview I was talking about... (open the link and then open the link to the right of the "tv" icon)

http://tv4.se/visa/klipp/?klipp=56561

Last edited:
Yay, the first photos are in! Victoria's outfit looks okay. Not the best thing I've seen her wear, but still nice. The skirt sticks out a bit too much. I keep thinking of Alice in Wonderland with the blue colour. And Yennie, I agree about the shoes. I think I have found a new pair of shoes I really dislike. I saw a close-up of them from yesterday (or the day before), and I think they are awful, and as you said, not really practical for summer. Anyway, Carl-Philip looks good in that suit. Really good. Sorry, but does anyone know what Victoria is reading out/holding here? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=246955&d=1149593780

Sorry, but does anyone know what Victoria is reading out/holding here?
Probably a booklet about the Palace and the celebrations on the national day.

Oh where is Madeleine
Madeleine is still busy with work at Unicef and couldnt come back to Sweden in time for todays celebrations. Hopefully she´ll be present next year!

Here´s the fist photo of the royal couple in Malmö, from local newspaper Sydsvenskan!

http://sydsvenskan.se/malmo/article163822.ece

More photos from Malmö! This time by Scanpix via Expressen

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=603732

Attachments

• 170-LDAkung1_39077a.jpg
    170-LDAkung1_39077a.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 987
  • b0c92ee7.jpg
    b0c92ee7.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 0134892c.jpg
    0134892c.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 270
  • 690e8625.jpg
    690e8625.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 5ddbd47a.jpg
    5ddbd47a.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 0bd31d41.jpg
    0bd31d41.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 283
Last edited by a moderator:
CP Victoria looks preoccupied in the majority of thos pics. She does not look like her normal cheery self. Hopefully everything is going well for her and the family.:)

More from the "Open Palace" from Imagine

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 187
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 167
What is actually celebrated in Sweden today? Is there a specific event the Swedish remember this day or is it just a day when people don't have to go to work and can have fun?

And right now the royal family are at Skansen and celebrates with maaany other swedes

photos from SVT

melike2 said:
What is actually celebrated in Sweden today? Is there a specific event the Swedish remember this day or is it just a day when people don't have to go to work and can have fun?
The reason why June 6th is our national day is that Gustav Vasa became King of Sweden that day in 1523 . But other than that its nothing in particular we are celebrating

And since last year its a national holiday so people are home from work

It's a pity that Madeleine is not there ...:(

Victoria looked beautiful but I don't like the skirt !:eek:

Last edited:
Is that a traditional headdress Sylvia is wearing? I wonder if it has some significance.

Victoria and Carl Philip look very good. I like CPs suit.

ysbel said:
Is that a traditional headdress Sylvia is wearing? I wonder if it has some significance.

Victoria and Carl Philip look very good. I like CPs suit.
I think maybe the headwear is similar to the Norwegian bunad. I remember seeing in the thread on Norwegian royals in bunads, a picture of Mette-Marit wearing a similar head piece. I think someone said that the headwear symbolizes that a woman is married.

kwanfan said:
I think someone said that the headwear symbolizes that a woman is married.
Yes, thats right. Thats the reason why neither Victoria or Madeleine have one :)

Caps from SVT of the Tapto at the palace that ended the national holiday of 2006

Back
Top Bottom