General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 2: January 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose only if Estelle proved to be infertile.

I visited some days ago the exhibition "Royal Salute" at Turku Art Museum in Finland. Royal Salute showcases European and Swedish art from the collections of the Swedish Nationalmuseum, and also some photographs of the members of the Royal Family.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FRhrYqk2...6l8WwCLcBGAsYHQ/s16000/Royal+Salute+2021.jpeg

Among the photographs were these (these are not the versions that were at the exhibition)
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
This photo of Victoria taken by Thron Ullberg (gift from the Friends of the Nationalmuseum to the State Portrait Collection) was especially impressive and captivating, when you saw it in front of you.

At 22.50 on Thursday, shots were heard in Hammarby Sjöstad in southern Stockholm.
A large police operation was called to the scene and at 00.45 the police confirmed that a man had died after the shooting. Later in the night, several media reported that the victim was one of Sweden's most famous rappers, 19-year-old Einár (Nils "Einár" Grönberg).
Margareta Thorgren wrote in an SMS to Svensk Damtidning:
"The royal family follows the news and all the shootings that are now happening in our country. It is very sad for Sweden and tragic for all affected."
The royal family has raised the issue of gang crime and organized crime several times in recent years. Victoria and Daniel are particularly committed to understanding the problem. They have visited the problem areas in Malmö and invited the police to meetings at Haga Palace.
Kungafamiljens sorg efter mordet på artisten Einár _*Svensk Dam

Svensk Damtidning writes that Estelle has autumn holiday from Campus Manilla and Victoria and Daniel have taken a holiday to be able to be with their children. The last time we saw them was last Thursday and their calendar is empty until Tuesday. Which means eleven nice days off.
So where are they and what do they do?
Svensk Damtidning spoke with Margareta Thorgren. She said: "The Royal Couple and the Crown Princess family are on private autumn holiday. There is no need for a temporary representative (riksföreståndare) for the Head of State".
SD writes that although Thorgren's message was short, there are clues, for example, one can imagine that all six spend the autumn holiday together.
Thorgren has always emphasized that the autumn holiday is primarily for those members of the royal family who have school children. And that the royal couple has taken a holiday just this week is a clear signal.
That a riksföreståndare has not been needed, it probably means that it can be ruled out that the entire gang - the Royal Couple and the Crown Princess family - have gone to Miami to visit Madeleine. The United States has just lifted its restrictions, so it could have been speculated.
Have Victoria and Daniel gone to a warmer and sunnier place, like when they were in Dubai with another family with children four years ago? Or are they at Solliden? Or at Ewa and Olle in Acktjära? Maybe a photo will appear, keep your fingers crossed, writes SD.
Kronprinsessfamiljen på höstlov – avslöjande detaljen från hovet _*Svensk Dam

The King and Queen have a two weeks holiday, their next work event is on 15th November.

Last edited:
I just have to say that Svensk Damtidning is the most ridiculous publication in Sweden.

I just have to say that Svensk Damtidning is the most ridiculous publication in Sweden.
I agree. It's dreadful. A once reliable and enjoyable magazine has been turned into a cheap, pot-stirring tabloid.

About the dressing and style of the swedish royal men at a finnish website of Care of Carl
The website writes that king Carl Gustaf is a royal man whose stylistic golden age was his youth. Older photos, especially from the 70s, show how he dressed boldly and was undoubtedly one of the style icons in Europe. Time and role as king have shaped his style in a more formal direction. Today he is most often seen in a dark suit with a restrained collared shirt and tie, or in uniform. In the summer, however, on Öland, he can be seen in a slightly more relaxed and lighter summer suit, as well as a hat and bow tie. This style of outfit is really summery stylish.
The article says that Carl Philip looks good in almost any outfit and has chosen for himself a classic and simple style that shows "Less is more". He is often seen in jeans, a casually dressed collared shirt and a dark little jacket if the occasion does not require formal wear. In public appearances, he prefers to wear a well-fitting suit, a solid-colored collared shirt, and a restrained tie. He seems to like slightly larger tie knots and he chooses almost exclusively the so-called Windsor knot. His overall look is often completed by a showy beard and a bushy hairstyle that fit her very well.
Last but certainly not least, is Daniel. In many ways, he can be said to be perhaps the best-dressed royal in Sweden. He doesn't have the same background and natural relationship to formal style as the other royals born into their role. Despite this, he always seems to feel comfortable in his clothes in a very natural way and this proves that personality and charisma are the most important accessories of all. Daniel's style has interesting details. He prefers to use sharp-cut collar twists or double-breasted suit as an alternative to a more simplistic single-breasted suit. He seems to like collared shirts with slightly longer collars, to which he likes to tie a tight-fitting tie. His style is always well finished and is characterized by a quality watch, stylish glasses, a neat hairstyle and an overcoat with a perfect cut. Brilliant!
Kopioi kuninkaallisten tyyli itsellesi _ CareOfCarl.fi

Last edited:
Photos of the royal family at their cars leaving Drottningholm Palace at queen Silvia's birthday celebration. The Crown Princess family and Madeleine with her children were seen leaving before 16.00 when the king and queen went to the concert.
Chris O'Neill dök inte upp på drottning Silvias födelsedag _*Svensk Dam

And the celebration continued after the concert.
The Crown Princess family arrived to Drottningholm Palace right after 18.00, this time at a minibus, and Madeleine drove the car when she and Chris arrived. Carl Philip and his family hasn't been seen at the photos.
Drottning Silvia firas med hemligt party – se bilderna! _*Svensk Dam

The party night that ended just before midnight, Madeleine and Chris were the last to leave.
We see Carl Philip and Sofia at the photos too.
Exklusiva festen för Silvia i natt – se bilderna här! _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Margareta Thorgren said to Svensk Damtidning about the royal family's New Year celebrations:
- Everyone in the royal family, including Princess Madeleine, will celebrate the new year in Sweden, but we do not tell more than that because the celebration is private. It is not an official celebration but a private celebration, but they are all in Sweden.
Prinsessan Madeleines hemliga nyårsfirande i Sverige _*Svensk Dam

Johan T Lindwall, the editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, writes at his column about "a wonderful royal super year" ahead of us. In just a few weeks, beloved Estelle turns ten years old and it will of course be noticed in every way. And there will be Madeleine's 40th birthday and Victoria's 45th birthday!
Lindwall can reveal that "his little spies at the palace" tell that a big party is planned when Madeleine turns 40. If the continued pandemic does not put a stop to it, Madeleine and her family have planned to have a big party in the two days at Drottningholm Palace on Friday 10 June and the day after. A family dinner and a big friends party are planned.
And the birthday Lindwall is convinced all long for most in 2022 is without a doubt Victoria's 45th birthday. Lindwall is going to Öland, we'll meet there?
Detaljer om Madeleines hemliga 40-årsfest avslöjade_ _Mina spioner på slottet säger.._ _*Svensk Dam

The Royal Court presupposes that those who participate in gatherings with the Royal Family are fully vaccinated
According to the Swedish Public Health Agency's guidelines from 30 September 2021, those who are not fully vaccinated against covid-19 should pay special attention to people in the risk group and people who are 70 years and older. Those who are not fully vaccinated should take precautions to avoid becoming infected themselves and to avoid the spread of covid-19.
In connection with official gatherings and other work events in which the Royal Family participates, the Royal Court presupposes that those who participate are fully vaccinated.
Kungahuset och covid-19-pandemin - Sveriges Kungahus

I am confused about the intention behind the announcement. To deflect criticism for permitting people who are unvaccinated to participate in royal gatherings? Or to remind people who have not been vaccinated that they should not attend royal gatherings, in order to protect the other participants?

I am confused about the intention behind the announcement. To deflect criticism for permitting people who are unvaccinated to participate in royal gatherings? Or to remind people who have not been vaccinated that they should not attend royal gatherings, in order to protect the other participants?

That's just my personal impression, but I think this might be a gentle reminder for people, who are unvaccinated, to please stay away from royal events. The King and Queen are both over 70 and therefore at particular risk. I'm sure they don't fancy catching the disease again in the future and this might be the court taking precautions.

I was also confused about the intention behind this message. Maybe someone from Sweden can enlighten us about what kind of criticism or other response there was in Swedish media/society that might have led to this announcement.

That's just my personal impression, but I think this might be a gentle reminder for people, who are unvaccinated, to please stay away from royal events. The King and Queen are both over 70 and therefore at particular risk. I'm sure they don't fancy catching the disease again in the future and this might be the court taking precautions.

However, vaccinated people might also carry the virus and spread it to others. While the chances are smaller, they are still very real (especially with Omicron).

I was also confused about the intention behind this message.

However, vaccinated people might also carry the virus and spread it to others. While the chances are smaller, they are still very real (especially with Omicron).

Certainly, it's not 100%. Nothing is really, unless the King and Queen continue to isolate at home, which they probably don't want to do...

Alternatively, they could ask for a negative test, as is common for many events in certain European countries, but I don't think that's done in Sweden, so it might be difficult for them to ask for that. Sweden is very laissez-faire about the virus, so I think in general the court has trouble asking for anything, which is why they're asking for vaccination gently. As opposed to, again, events in other European countries, the court doesn't even seem to feel comfortable actually checking people's vaccination status.

No criticism in the media about royal gatherings especially, but the government today announced a tightening of restrictions from Wednesday. The Court's communique is completely in line with the new restrictions and I see it as a reminder to people to adhere to said restrictions.

Last edited:
A little over ten days after they were infected, the king and queen Silvia are in principle completely restored, but they are not completely healthy.
Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that the king is completely free of symptoms and the queen still has a small cold.
At the same time, the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel are well, but remain isolated at home. Thorgren said that Daniel and Victoria are still in quarantine. Their family is otherwise feeling fine.
Kungafamiljen_ Drottning Silvia fortsatt sjuk – kungen symtomfri

Margareta Thorgren told yesterday evening to Svensk Damtidning about how the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel are feeling now.
She said that she had had meetings with all four of them yesterday and they are completely recovered from their covid infection. The King and Daniel have had only mild symptoms, while Victoria and the Queen have had cold symptoms. So the business rolls on and all four are back at work after their quarantine. The Royal Family follows the Swedish Public Health Agency's recommendations, and this means that they work digitally as far as possible. But exceptions occur, due to the king's office.
Hovet_ Så mår drottning Silvia – efter covid _*Svensk Dam

Today the four of them and Carl Philip have a digital meeting with the Swedish Olympic Committee and Parasport Sweden on the occasion of the Winter Olympic Games.

The Royal House in close communion with sport
The Royal House and sport have a lot in common at the moment. It was announced recently that king Carl Gustaf will hand out medals to six athletes: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Caroline Seger, Bengtsson, Peter Forsberg, Tove Alexandersson and Maja Reichard. The King has also wished luck to the Swedish Olympic team and congratulated them on their success.
Prince Carl Philip and Prince Daniel are also involved in different ways.
Carl Philip will give a speech at Vasaloppet's 100 anniversary jubileum, he has skiied in Vasaloppet many times.
Karolinska Institutet KI appoints Daniel as a honorary doctor: "HRH Prince Daniel has a strong and long-standing commitment to public health. Over the years, he has made a large number of efforts to increase awareness of the need to promote a healthier lifestyle among children and young people, reduce health gaps and support medical research and education". Daniel and Victoria are initiators of Generation Pep, its goal is to give all children and young people better opportunities for an more active and healthier life, regardless of background and conditions. Generation Pep has in five years become a strong, credible and unifying force in public health work and Daniel is driven and extremely committed to the work. Extensive health-promoting work is conducted with KI as knowledge partner.
Kungahuset i nära gemenskap med idrotten _ Idrottens Affärer

Svensk Damtidning contacted Margareta Thorgren to find out how the King and the rest of the royal family are handling the crisis of Ukraine.
- The royal family is following developments in Ukraine. It is a terribly dark morning and the Head of State is and will be directly informed by the government, says Margareta Thorgren.
Beskedet till familjen_ Fruktansvärt mörk morgon _*Svensk Dam

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, princess Christina and Tord Magnuson are this evening at Tomas Ledin's concert at Avicii Arena. Tomas Ledin has his 70th birthday today and he celebrates also 50 years as an artist.

Tomas Ledin has filled Avicii Arena for a 70th anniversary. In addition to his birthday, he pays tribute to the music he has shared with the people for 50 years as an artist. During the evening, he was surprised by, among others, Jill Johnson, Björn Skifs, Lena Philipsson, Björn Ulvaeus and comedian Hampus Nessvold. The royal couple also enjoyed the concert.
https://static.cdn-expressen.se/images/c3/8e/c38e2510e1de41faa87acf28c9d8529c/16x9/1280@60.jpg
https://static.cdn-expressen.se/images/52/5b/525b757fa32b449d84d8a5295460821d/16x9/1280@60.jpg
Kungen och drottningen på Thomas Ledin-konsert

Ledin donates his salary to the charities Gula änglarna which helps the homeless, the Swedish-Tibetan school and culture association which supports the people in Tibet and Rocking pots in Östersund which uses music to integrate people who arrive to Sweden.
Kungaparet på Tomas Ledins jubileumskonsert - GALA magasin

Silvias och kungens utekväll efter krisen i Ukraina _*Svensk Dam

The king and queen were at Tomas Ledin's concert also in 2017. Tomas Ledin performed at queen Silvia's 70th birthday concert in 2013, he is said to be one of queen Silvia's favourite artists.

A video by SPA of King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, princess Christina and Tord Magnuson at Tomas Ledin's concert at Avicii Arena on 25th February.

Last edited by a moderator:
Margareta Thorgren said yesterday to Svensk Damtidning that the current uneasy situation in Europe may also affect the royal family's schedule:
"Based on the world situation and developments in Ukraine, future program items, which the royal family is planning, may need to change".
She could not say which specific program items are affected by the situation.
Hovets krisåtgärd – efter kungens möte med statsministern _*Svensk Dam

Margareta Thorgren to Hänt about how the royal family will celebrate their Easter.
- Easter is celebrated privately in Sweden.
But whether it includes a trip to the mountains or something else is not clear.
Does Princess Madeleine and her family also celebrate Easter in Sweden?
- No, she and her family are in the USA, Margareta Thorgren concludes to Hänt.
Därför är kungafamiljen splittrad vid stora firandet _ Hänt

Svensk Damtidning writes about the royal family's Easter.
As we saw from the photo the court published at its Facebook, king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia are at the King's cottage in Storlien. Victoria, Daniel and the children are in Solliden. And from the photo Carl Philip and Sofia published at their Instagram, Svensk Damtidning thinks they were skiing with their children at Kläppen or Sälen which are not far from Älvdalen.
Nya kärleksbilden på prinsparet – stora oron för Sofia _*Svensk Dam

Judging from what's written in the Marshal of the Realm's preface we're in for a year of many celebrations in 2023 in honour of the King's Golden jubilee and the 500th anniversary of the election of Gustav I signifying the founding of the new and independent Sweden.

Queen Silvia will be 80 in December next year as well. And prince Daniel 50, on the same day as the Golden jubilee.

Back
Top Bottom