General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 1: April 2015 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Chrispinsson, swedish journalist, program leader and TV-profile at SVT, died suddenly yesterday evening at the age of 60. Among other things he was the commentator the weddings of Victoria and Daniel, Madeleine and Chris and Carl Philip and Sofia, princess Lilian's funeral and the royal christenings. Royal expert Roger Lundgren who was the other commentator at the royal events, tells that Chrispinsson concentrated more to tell about history at the royal events and Lundgren about the royals today. Chrispinsson loved history.
King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and Victoria with John Chrispinsson at the recording of "Kunskapens Krona" in 2008.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited:
Expressen has an article about some of the favourite places of the royal family when they are private, tips where people can see them.
Milles and Strandvägen 1
To see: Sofia, Madeleine
Just over a week ago we saw Princess Sofia meet a friend here - and when Princess Madeleine is in Sweden, she goes almost always here.
Ciao Ciao Grande
To see: Victoria, Daniel, Carl Philip, Sofia, Madeleine, Chris
In spare moments, the royal family like to come to "Ciao Ciao Grande" to have a pizza. Victoria, Madeleine and Carl Philip began to go there as a child - and now they pass it on to their own children. Sometimes Victoria and Estelle are here together and then it will be a Bambino- or Margherita pizza.
Haga Park
To see: Victoria, Daniel
Haga Palace is located in Haga Park in Solna, just outside Stockholm. Many people who walk in the park go past the Palace and try to see the crown princess family. What many forget is to look at the park. There you can in fact most likely meet Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. They take often long walks in the park.
Café Saturnus
To see: Carl Philip, Sofia, Madeleine
Something of a favorite café among the royals. Carl Philip and Sofia have coffee often with friends here as well as Madeleine when she is in Sweden.
Stenhammar Castle
To see: The King, the Queen
Stenhammar Castle is something of a weekend haven for the royal family. But most often it is the royal couple who come here. They usually walk on the estate, and for the curious, there are good opportunities to meet - or at least get a sight of - King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia.
Crème Stockholm
To see: Madeleine, Chris
Madeleine's fave place! Here she and her husband Chris have lunch when they are in Stockholm. A few steps away is also café Mocco which is another favourite place for Madeleine.
Kungafamiljens smultronställen i Stockholm _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Article about the royal wardrobes and clothes at Aftonbladet Söndag yesterday.

Svensk Damtidning asked Sifo to make a poll: Who is the best dressed royal? Most people answered Victoria, 31 % chose her. Madeleine 16%, Sofia 9 %, queen Silvia 7 % and 37 % Don't know (or maybe they aren't interested).
Hon är utsedd till bäst klädda kungligheten enligt stor undersökning | Svensk Damtidning

More about the poll at Svensk Damtidning's paper issue this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Swedish sculptor Gudmar Olovson, 81, died last week in Paris.
He has done sculptures and reliefs of king Carl Gustaf and crown princess Victoria.
https://i1.wp.com/www.gudmar.net/wp...4/2016/09/GUDMAR_Portraits_21.jpg?fit=800,803
https://i0.wp.com/www.gudmar.net/wp...dals_HRH-King-Carl-XVI-Gustaf.jpg?fit=773,580
https://i0.wp.com/www.gudmar.net/wp...HRH-Crown-Princess-Victoria.jpg?fit=1800,1798
https://i2.wp.com/www.gudmar.net/wp...HRH-Crown-Princess-Victoria.jpg?fit=1018,1024

The royal court has published it's Annual Report 2016 on their website. The Report tells that the king and queen had a total of about 6,000 guests at the events including on outgoing state visits. The crown princess couple also conducted official representation at Haga Palace with 130 invited guests during the year.
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/.../1494247608575/Verksamhetsberattelsen2016.pdf

Ringing of the Seraphim will take place for the former President Koivisto of Finland, on 25th May in Riddarholmskyrkan in Stockholm.

https://twitter.com/Riddarholmskyrk/status/865117096371515392

At the court website
Serafimerringning för Mauno Koivisto - Sveriges Kungahus

In the summer 2016 Karin Lennmor resigned from her job as the editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, after 24 years.
As the new editor-in-chief was hired Expressen's longtime royal reporter, Johan T Lindwall.

Now Karin Lennmor has been hired as Expressen's new royal commentator.
- I'm very happy and extremely keen to take this assignment, said Karin Lennmor in a press release.
Johan T Lindwall's role as the royal reporter in Expressen has been taken by Elias Giertz and Lennmor's task is to further strengthen Express's royal coverage.
- Expressen takes the following of the royals seriously with daily monitoring in all our channels. It is extremely gratifying that we can now also offer our public Karin Lennmor's unbeatable experience, said Martin Ahlquist, Head of the coverage of politics and royalty in Expressen, in a press release.
Karin Lennmor starts as an expert in Expressen's text and on television on July 1st.
Karin Lennmor – Expressens nya kungliga kommentator _ Dagens Media

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and Victoria attended on Saturday at the wedding of Astrid Bernadotte and italian marquess Filippo Bruti Liberati in Florence. It was an exclusive wedding for 200 guests. The queen and Victoria wore tiaras. King Carl Gustaf is the godfather for Astrid Bernadotte. Astrid is the daughter of count Bertil and countess Jill Bernadotte. It seems to me that Victoria recycled the Jenny Packham dress she wore at Carl Philip and Sofia's pre-wedding dinner.
Los Reyes de Suecia y la princesa Victoria, invitados en la boda de Astrid Bernadotte y Filippo Bruti Liberati
Victoria de Suecia y su madre rivalizan en joyones en Italia Semana

Photos of the king, queen and Victoria in Florence. Margareta Thorgren said that it was a private family wedding. The king and queen returned yesterday to Solliden, and Victoria, Daniel and the children will come there on Monday afternoon.
Först i Svensk Damtidning! Kungafamiljen på privat släktbröllop i Florens _ Svensk Damtidning
Victorias semester med kungen och drottningen i Florens _ Kungligt _ Expressen
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030011K1499703144906967
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030021K1499703144906967
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030031K1499703144906967
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030041K1499703144906967
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030051K1499703144906967
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030061K1499703144906967

The king at Villa di Maiano
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWZbDkVF16Z/?taken-at=664635999

Last edited:
Bernadotte wedding in Florence

Thank you lady Finn for posting these pictures.
I must say I am confused about the protocol /dress code in effect at this very private wedding, hosted by noble relatives but not in the mainstream reigning family. This is not an official or a "court" event in any way. I wonder why the king is wearing his orders/decorations and the queen and crown Princess Victoria are wearing the family order?

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and Victoria attended on Saturday at the wedding of Astrid Bernadotte and italian marquess Filippo Bruti Liberati in Florence. It was an exclusive wedding for 200 guests. The queen and Victoria wore tiaras. King Carl Gustaf is the godfather for Astrid Bernadotte. Astrid is the daughter of count Bertil and countess Jill Bernadotte. It seems to me that Victoria recycled the Jenny Packham dress she wore at Carl Philip and Sofia's pre-wedding dinner.
Los Reyes de Suecia y la princesa Victoria, invitados en la boda de Astrid Bernadotte y Filippo Bruti Liberati
Victoria de Suecia y su madre rivalizan en joyones en Italia Semana

Photos of the king, queen and Victoria in Florence. Margareta Thorgren said that it was a private family wedding. The king and queen returned yesterday to Solliden, and Victoria, Daniel and the children will come there on Monday afternoon.
Först i Svensk Damtidning! Kungafamiljen på privat släktbröllop i Florens _ Svensk Damtidning
Victorias semester med kungen och drottningen i Florens _ Kungligt _ Expressen

The king at Villa di Maiano
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWZbDkVF16Z/?taken-at=664635999

The day before the wedding there was a cocktail party at Villa di Maiano for the guests to attend. I saw one photo of the royals arriving but I am surprised there were not more because that one photo only had the King and Victoria's arm as she was getting out of the car.
From what I have seen on Instagram, it looked like a beautiful wedding and that the royals had a good time. You can see them in the background of this video. (also check out the bride's tiara- looks to be the Russian Aquamarine Kokoshnik!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWV7cQblh0n/

Thank you lady Finn for posting these pictures.
I must say I am confused about the protocol /dress code in effect at this very private wedding, hosted by noble relatives but not in the mainstream reigning family. This is not an official or a "court" event in any way. I wonder why the king is wearing his orders/decorations and the queen and crown Princess Victoria are wearing the family order?
The dress code was obviously white tie which means that if you have tiaras, orders & the royal family order its time to put them on.

I have to say I was likewise surprised that the royals wore their orders even for White Tie as one would assume most of the other guests wouldn't. But then not being royal I wouldn't know, I remember Camilla (Duchess of Cornwall) turning up in order and tiara for a Royal Academy of Arts Dinner, whilst everyone else was in white tie she was the only one for whom that included an order or two and a tiara. I only bring this up to show its not as unusual as maybe we think.

Svensk Damtidning wrote last Friday, that Victoria and Daniel attended at their friend Cristina Stenbeck's 40th birthday party at an island at Stockholm archipelago. 250 guests had arrived from all over the world (Cristina's mother is from USA and her husband Alexander Fitzgibbons is british). Cristina's birthday is on 27th September but she celebrated already now. In addition to Victoria and Daniel, among the guests were H&M family Persson and Caroline Kreuger Nilsson. There was a big party tent and the celebration continued for three days.
No photos of Victoria and Daniel then.
Just nu! Svensk Damtidning avslöjar_ Victoria och Daniel på miljardärskan Stenbecks 40-årsfest _ Svensk Damtidning

Cristina Stenbeck is one of the experts at Prince Daniel's Fellowship and CS Stiftelse för nästa generation (Cristina Stenbeck Youth Foundation) is a founding partner of Generation Pep (GEN-PEP). Cristina and Alexander attended Victoria's and Daniel's wedding and Oscar's christening.

Svensk Damtidning will have an article and photos of the guests at their paper issue, we will see if they are at this week's issue.
But today they tell that Madeleine, Chris and Nicolas were at the party too, and publish even photos of them. The party was held at Cristina's house at Björkö island and started with some activity. Cristina Stenbeck has four children.
Exklusiva bilder på Madeleine _ Svensk Damtidning

Expressen put in the evening a link to an Instagram photo from the party, Chris was at the photo with some people, they had helmets, caps and headphones with something similar to a megaphone in their hand. The photo was taken away from Internet very quickly after the article came to Expressen's website. At the photo was also Fredrik af Klercker, who said that he had no comments to make when Expressen called him. Fredrik published a photo of him and his sister Stephanie Bergström (the wife of Madeleine's ex Jonas), taken also at the birthday party.
The court didn't want to comment the crown princess couple's and princess couple's attendance at the 40th birthday party. It is private, said Margareta Thorgren.
Här spexar Chris O’Neill på hemliga kändisfesten _ Dina pengar

The mystery of Victoria puzzles the researchers
Madeleine speaks upper class swedish, Victoria more common "Svensson-swedish".
People in the upper social layer speak in a special way. We hear that when the royals open their mouths. But there is a strange language mystery within the family.
Lars Melin, Linguist at Stockholm University, has written the book "Fint språk" (Fine Language) together with his son Martin.
The authors have identified three pronunciations that are clear and are only used in finer neighborhoods in Greater Stockholm:
- Long i and y sounds produced far in front in the mouth, fyiint vyiin.
- Sj-sounds, you use only the front as in Lars, never the back as in "sked".
- Open long vowels, like godaag and såssar.
But what puzzles linguists is that one person in the royal family speaks without using class markers: Crown Princess Victoria, 40.
One reason that the Crown Princess speaks more ordinary than her friends in the upper class may be because she was taught to speak by actress Margaretha Krook at the Royal Dramatic Theatre.
Sister Madde, 35, on the other hand, has got all class markers.
- While Victoria doesn't have any of the three pronunciations, Madeleine has all three. She speaks clean and cut upper class Swedish, says the linguist.
Gåtan om Victoria förbryllar forskarna _ Stoppa Pressarna

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, Carl Philip and Sofia attended on Friday at the wedding of Niklas Gadelius and Julia Hamrin at Lidingö Church. Niklas is the son of the king's friend Bertil "Bersan" Nordström. And Niklas is queen Silvia's godson. The royals attended also the wedding dinner.
The court doesn't want to comment the wedding, because it was a private event.
Kungaparet gick på bröllop – kungen blåste såpbubblor _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Press release from the royal court

Pre-school start for children in the royal family
Last week, Princess Leonore started schooling in a Swedish preschool, where she will go when she spends time in Sweden. She also goes to pre-school in London.
Prince Oscar, Prince Alexander and Prince Nicolas will begin schooling in preschools during the autumn.
The royal family greatly appreciates the respect which Swedish media shows to the royal children in private settings. This contributes to a safe environment for the children, their peers and their families.
Förskolestart för barn i Kungafamiljen - Sveriges Kungahus

Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that the parents are together with the children in their preschools in the beginning. It is a period when the child gets used to the new environment so that the child can gradually be there without parents.
Which preschools have the parents chosen?
- It isn't something we actively tell and it is for security reasons only.
Skolstart i kungafamiljen – Leonore, Alexander och Nicolas börjar i förskola _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Svensk Damtidning told in March 2013 that Estelle had started to go to open pre-school of Swedish Church's Solna Parish, and on 25th August 2014 she started at Äventyret Preschool in Danderyd Municipality. In the beginning of October 2016 the swedish press told that Estelle had changed preschool and started at Montessori preschool Lilla Kvikkjokk in Djurgården.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning has now on this week's issue an article about Victoria, Daniel, Madeleine, Chris, Leonore and Nicolas at Cristina Stenbeck's 40th birthday party three weeks ago. Cristina has her birthday on 27th September, but celebrated earlier together with her husband Alexander Fitzgibbons and their four children, her siblings and 250 friends from all over the world.
Victoria and Daniel and Madeleine and Chris with children were the honorary guests. Also Caroline and Peder Dinkelspiel and Jonas and Stephanie Bergström were among the guests. The celebrations continued on three days, and started on Friday at Cristina's island at the Stockholm archipelago. Madeleine, Chris, Leonore, Nicolas and their nanny arrived at a charted archipelago ship. Victoria and Daniel arrived with their own motorboat, a Nimbus 365 Coupé, at about 19.00 on Friday evening. The guests partied at a big party tent. Almost all guests stayed at Grand Hotel in Stockholm and were taken there in the night by taxiboats and chartered minibusses.
On Saturday there was an obstacle course for adults and children. The guests competed in teams with colours painted to their faces. Madeleine and her family were at a blue team. Jonas and Stephanie Bergström competed at the green team. In the afternoon the guests returned to Stockholm and in the evening was a party for adults at Eric Ericson Hall. On Sunday the guests had a brunch together at Grand Hotel and then everyone left home.
The article doesn't have a photo of Victoria and Daniel arriving, and has previously published photos of Madeleine and Chris. It could also be that Victoria and Daniel attended only on Friday and perhaps at the party at Eric Ericson Hall, because SD doesn't tell about them attending at the obstacle course on Saturday.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning has now on this week's issue an article about Victoria, Daniel, Madeleine, Chris, Leonore and Nicolas at Cristina Stenbeck's 40th birthday party three weeks ago. Cristina has her birthday on 27th September, but celebrated earlier together with her husband Alexander Fitzgibbons and their four children, her siblings and 250 friends from all over the world.
Victoria and Daniel and Madeleine and Chris with children were the honorary guests. Also Caroline and Peder Dinkelspiel and Jonas and Stephanie Bergström were among the guests. The celebrations continued on three days, and started on Friday at Cristina's island at the Stockholm archipelago. Madeleine, Chris, Leonore, Nicolas and their nanny arrived at a charted archipelago ship. Victoria and Daniel arrived with their own motorboat, a Nimbus 365 Coupé, at about 19.00 on Friday evening. The guests partied at a big party tent. Almost all guests stayed at Grand Hotel in Stockholm and were taken there in the night by taxiboats and chartered minibusses.
On Saturday there was an obstacle course for adults and children. The guests competed in teams with colours painted to their faces. Madeleine and her family were at a blue team. Jonas and Stephanie Bergström competed at the green team. In the afternoon the guests returned to Stockholm and in the evening was a party for adults at Eric Ericson Hall. On Sunday the guests had a brunch together at Grand Hotel and then everyone left home.
The article doesn't have a photo of Victoria and Daniel arriving, and has previously published photos of Madeleine and Chris. It could also be that Victoria and Daniel attended only on Friday and perhaps at the party at Eric Ericson Hall, because SD doesn't tell about them attending at the obstacle course on Saturday.
Interesting that Madeleine & her family, and Jonas & Stephanie Bergström were at the same party; I think that’s good and civil.
Let the bygones be bygones.

We love to "fika" in Sweden. But what kind of celebrity do you think the Swedish people would prefer to have a coffee with?
A new survey has been conducted by the fuel and service trading company Circle K in cooperation with the analysis company Novus.
Many people are certainly dreaming about having a fika with a celebrity. And on the question of which celebrity we would like to have a fika with, no popular names like Zlatan, Måns Zelmerlöw, Carola or Queen Silvia end up in the absolute top.
Instead, it's the Queen's daughter Crown Princess Victoria who we most preferably take a coffee with. On the second place is her father, King Carl XVI Gustaf.
The third place, on the other hand, doesn't go to any member of the royal house, but to a very popular television profile and author - namely the criminologist and Professor Leif GW Persson.
Kändisen svenska folket helst tar en fika med - Mitt kök

Not really about the Royal Family, but still.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej will be honoured in Stockholm on the day of the cremation ceremony. As a knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim it is tradition that a Seraphim ringing takes place in Riddarholmskyrkan on the day of the burial.

At 11.55 the Seraphim arms of King Bhumibol Adulyadej (picture in the link) will be taken from the Royal Palace of Stockholm with military honours to Riddarholmskyrkan, where the arms will be placed in the choir for the ringing. From 12.00 an hour of ringing will take place to honour the late King.

The church will open to the public during the event. It will also be possible to express condolences in books that will be placed in the church after the ringing

Serafimerringning för Konung Bhumibol Adulyadej - Sveriges Kungahus

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia spent last week five days in London with Madeleine and her family.
Kungen och Silvia hälsar på hos prinsessan Madeleine _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Expressen wrote already last Tuesday, that the king and queen will fly on Wednesday to London.

Gallery
Profimedia

SVT sends this evening a program "Uppdrag granskning", where they among other things tell that the royal court and royal family has used Bertil Hult's plane which is registered to tax haven Bermuda.
Victoria and Daniel used Hult's plane when they flew to their honeymoon in 2010. The court confirmed to the program that queen Silvia has used the plane for a trip to Kuwait (a Mentor International event) in 2013, king Carl Gustaf on a trip to Saint Petersburg in 2013 and to Lisbon and this summer the king and queen also made a trip to Moscow where their friend Bertil Hult had a party.
The director of the press department Margareta Thorgren says to SVT that the court didn't know that the plane was registered to a tax haven.
- Bertil Hult is a good friend of the family, and his financial affairs have nothing to do with the royal family or anything the court can comment on.
On the question if the court, in view of what they know now, could have acted differently, Thorgren says:
- It's one question you can ask, but again - it's a good friend and to use good friends' conveyance, there is nothing strange with it.
Victorias bröllopsflyg var registrerat i skatteparadis _ Dina pengar

Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor:
Bertil Hult is a very close and dear friend of the royal family, has been for many years. He gave this amazing gift to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel on their wedding day. At Bora Bora also awaited Hult's luxury yacht, where they could continue on their holiday. The royal court sees that this was a gift from a close friend. I think that's okay too. The problem is when you get a gift from a close friend aren't you indebted to him then? How to repay it? The Royal Family's work is about to hang out with a large part of Sweden's elite. It is clear that they meet many people who have made dubious tax plans. Then you shall not forget that the royal couple are close to Bertil Hult and his wife Lisbeth, he is one of Sweden's richest and he is not really a bad guy, he is philanthropic, but he also loves big, festive parties. In addition to the honeymoon he has invited the royal couple to big, expensive parties over the years. When his wife turned fifty, he hired the Globe Arena and flew Rod Stewart to sing.
The plane has been used before, what does it mean?
- Some of the trips are work-related. Some of the trips I think had with the Mentor organization to do, where Queen Silvia is engaged.
How noteworthy is this?
- It is clear that everything with the royal family is noteworthy. But I want to emphasize that Bertil Hult is a philanthropist. After his party in Boston, which cost 40 million, he gave the corresponding sum to charity. However, I will return to the royal house's gratitude debt, how they have handled it, says Lennmor.
Karin Lennmor om kungafamiljen i paradisläckan _ Dina pengar

Queen Silvia founded Mentor Foundation in 1994, and Bertil Hult and Stefan Persson from H&M were some of the co-founders. Bertil Hult is a trustee at Mentor International.
Trustees – Mentor International

Victoria delivered The Bertil Hult Prize in 2009 and 2011. The Bertil Hult Prize is awarded to a Swedish compulsory school that works in an exemplary way to help pupils with dyslexia.
Bertil Hult and his wife were guests at king Carl Gustaf's private 70th birthday banquet.
King Carl Gustaf delivered H.M. The King's Medal 12th size medal with the Order of the Seraphim ribbon to Bertil Hult in 2004 "for profitable efforts in the school sphere, mainly in education on vacations for students and support for children with dyslexia".
Medaljförläningar 2004-01-28 - Sveriges Kungahus

In 1965, Bertil Hult founded EF Education First.
EF - Our History

2018 calendars of the Royal Family on sale:

Svensk Damtidning's calendar
Kunglig kalender 2018 - Tidningar & böcker

Others
Kungafamiljen 2018
Almanackor kalenderår : Väggkalender, Kungafamiljen
Vanliga Almanackan Kungafamiljen | 2018 från Almanacksförlaget

Victoria and Daniel were at Friends Arena in Solna last Friday, when Sweden won Italy at football FIFA World Cup 2017 playoff qualification match. Yesterday Sweden and Italy played 0-0 in Milan and Sweden secured its place at World Cup in Russia in 2018. Italy misses World Cup for first time since 1958.
The royal family greets via the director of the press department Margareta Thorgren:
"So fun and strong that Sweden got on to the World Cup."
Kungafamiljens glädje efter Sveriges VM-succé _ Sport _ Expressen

Expressen tells, that queen Silvia and Victoria were having a mother-daughter evening on Saturday, when the king had a work event and Daniel was at an icehockey match. The queen and Victoria went to Kulturhuset Stadsteatern to see musical Billy Elliot, which has been performed at Stadsteatern since March.
An eyewitness says they "came in like anybody", except for the entourage of staff which accompanies the royal family.
Expressen has been in contact with Stadsteaterrn, whose press officer Sofia Cherif says it was an "unofficial visit".
No photos of the evening at the article.
Drottning Silvia och kronprinsessan Victoria såg på musikal _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Expressen tells, that queen Silvia and Victoria were having a mother-daughter evening on Saturday, when the king had a work event and Daniel was at an icehockey match. The queen and Victoria went to Kulturhuset Stadsteatern to see musical Billy Elliot, which has been performed at Stadsteatern since March.
An eyewitness says they "came in like anybody", except for the entourage of staff which accompanies the royal family.
Expressen has been in contact with Stadsteaterrn, whose press officer Sofia Cherif says it was an "unofficial visit".
No photos of the evening at the article.
Drottning Silvia och kronprinsessan Victoria såg på musikal _ Kungligt _ Expressen

And here is a photo of queen Silvia and Victoria meeting stars of musical Billy Elliot last Saturday.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbi0JfYDaYD/?tagged=drottningsilvia

Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor at her chronicle on 19th November

Make Victoria Queen - as soon as possible
How sick are Europe's royals really? Today we got the announcement that King Harald was admitted to Oslo's Rikshospital for an infection. The list of sick royals can be made long...
The question is - should there be a retirement age for royals too?
For both their own sake and for our subjects? Healthy breeze and young people's ideas are needed in the monarchies. In addition to Prince Charles, who is almost 70 years old, the gang who is on tour to the thrones of Europe are in their forties! A perfect age for a king or queen, I think.
In Spain, King Juan Carlos handed over the crown to Felipe 2014, in Belgium, King Philippe took office in 2013 when his father King Albert abdicated. Wisely.
It is the olds at our Nordic royal houses that remain; Queen Margrethe should give the throne to Crown Prince Frederik, who is both popular, smart and middle-aged.
Given King Harald's disease, it is time for Crown Prince Haakon to pick up.
And we in Sweden, then? Make Victoria the Queen as soon as possible! She is crazily popular in all camps, the "queen education" is completed and she certainly has the capacity to work as a regent and to be a mother for small children at the same time.
A few years ago, Victoria was asked how the thought of becoming a queen felt.
- Sad, she replied. Because that means that my daddy is dead.
But it doesn't have to be so at all - if our king would leave the throne to his daughter now, he could be on her side for many years as invaluable support and help. And what a kick for himself, seeing Victoria grow into the role of the queen - and do it with flying colours!
This is not about age discrimination but it's tragic to see the royal house grow old. The regents should understand themselves when it is time to step aside.
There is a need for renewal in the royal house, young thoughts, initiative ability and strength are needed. Perhaps the only way for the monarchs to survive, actually?
And personally, I want our king and queen to have a little retirement time; quiet life at Stenhammar Castle where they love being with dog walks and grandchildren.
Rejuvenate the royal house!
KARIN LENNMOR_ Gör Victoria till drottning _ Karin Lennmor _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
I both agree and disagree with this article.

Yes, I think that Queen Margrethe should abdicate in favor of Frederik. Her husband has dementia, she has severe back problems. Frederik is turning 50 next year. He and Mary are more than ready, and their kids are a little bit older (all in school now).

No, I don't think that our swedish king should abdicate in favor of Victoria. He's in good health, and even if the queen was sick last christmas, she hasn't shown any signs of slowing down after that. Estelle and Oscar are still very young, not even in school yet. Do I think that an abdication in Sweden would be a good idea in 10 years or so? Yes, I do. But now? No, I don't.

I think that a monarch should not abdicate until the next heir is 18. Personally, I feel that the lack of an active heir is very much felt in Belgium and Spain and even the Netherlands. And should tragedy strike I have a feeling that some monarchies would not survive having a 12-year-old king/queen regnant.

So going by this:
Harald can abdicate in 5 years, Margrethe in 6, Carl Gustaf in 13 – this is the drawback in forcing Victoria to wait so long to marry.

I think that a monarch should not abdicate until the next heir is 18. Personally, I feel that the lack of an active heir is very much felt in Belgium and Spain and even the Netherlands. And should tragedy strike I have a feeling that some monarchies would not survive having a 12-year-old king/queen regnant.

So going by this:
Harald can abdicate in 5 years, Margrethe in 6, Carl Gustaf in 13 – this is the drawback in forcing Victoria to wait so long to marry.

In both Denmark and Sweden, the heirs have siblings that are ready to step up and be more active. Here in Sweden we can already see that Carl Philip and Sofia are taking on more duties, even if they have small children. In Denmark, Joachim and Marie are more than ready and able to assist Frederik and Mary. Norway is a bit different, since Märtha Louise is quite recently divorced and settling into the role of single mother. But she's there, and she's doing her part.

So yes, the age of the next generation matters, but it's also a question of other support - mainly siblings. I see no problem with Margarethe leaving the throne to Frederik next year. With the support of his wife, brother and sister-in-law, he'll do just fine, even if his own children are under 18.

SVT sends this evening a program "Uppdrag granskning", where they among other things tell that the royal court and royal family has used Bertil Hult's plane which is registered to tax haven Bermuda.
Victoria and Daniel used Hult's plane when they flew to their honeymoon in 2010. The court confirmed to the program that queen Silvia has used the plane for a trip to Kuwait (a Mentor International event) in 2013, king Carl Gustaf on a trip to Saint Petersburg in 2013 and to Lisbon and this summer the king and queen also made a trip to Moscow where their friend Bertil Hult had a party.
The director of the press department Margareta Thorgren says to SVT that the court didn't know that the plane was registered to a tax haven.
- Bertil Hult is a good friend of the family, and his financial affairs have nothing to do with the royal family or anything the court can comment on.
On the question if the court, in view of what they know now, could have acted differently, Thorgren says:
- It's one question you can ask, but again - it's a good friend and to use good friends' conveyance, there is nothing strange with it.
Victorias bröllopsflyg var registrerat i skatteparadis _ Dina pengar

Bertil Hult has given an interview to DI Dagens Industri, Expressen quotes it:
SVT's program Uppdrag granskning provided information that an aircraft, indirectly owned by Bertil Hult, should have been used by the royal couple - free of charge. The court confirms that the aircraft was used and no invoice for the flight was received. Hult says that his company EF could not invoice for private flights because it was not registered for commercial use.
To DI he says:
- The king wanted to pay, but we can't invoice the court so the court answered, of course, that they haven't received an invoice. But the king and I agreed that the king deposited the corresponding amount on my private account, and then I donated the money to the Children's Cancer Fund in Switzerland. SVT knows we can not invoice, and they have never asked us if the king has paid for the use of the plane, but on tv they say it's almost bribery that Hult gives the king a trip on his plane.
Further information on that the Crown princess and Prince Daniel should have stayed in Hult's house in Colorado United States (in their honeymoon) and that they also should have used Hult's plan to fly around, Hults sees as pure fiction.
Bertil Hult will report the UG program to the The Swedish Broadcasting Commission and tells to DI that EF has written to SVT that they do not have any letterbox companies. He is upset by Uppdrag granskning's program and finds it to be sensational journalism and pure lies.
Bertil Hult_ Kungen ville betala för flygresan _ Dina pengar

Last edited:
Expressen writes about the Royal family's "secret" room - they have their own waiting room at the Stockholm Central Station. Expressen quotes the article in Aftonbladet, which can be read only by those who pay of it.

Through a discreet side entrance at Stockholm Central Station, the royals enter the room closed from the public. Only one royal crown over the door signals that the Royal family's waiting room is behind it.
The waiting room (Väntsalen) was built in 1871 and is adorned by paintings of the royal palaces Gripsholm, Haga and Drottningholm. There are crystal chandeliers from NK and the couches are designed by Carl Malmsten. The king and queen have their own waiting rooms - the queen's is slightly smaller - and both an own toilet.
A special door out takes the royals from the room directly to the train.
Nowadays, the royal family rarely chooses trains as a means of transport. The special royal train carriage from 1931 was used at the latest in May 2011 when Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel made their first official visit to Ockelbo, writes Aftonbladet.
Jernhusen operates Stockholm Central Station and are now auctioning a visit for a group of 20 people in the secret waiting room for the benefit of Musichjälpen. This year's fundraising is organized for organizations working against children who are victims of sex trafficking.
Kungafamiljens hemliga väntsal på Stockholms centralstation _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Annonuncement from The Office of The Marshal of the Realm:
For those wishing to convey their New Year’s greetings to Their Majesties The King and Queen, Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel, Their Royal Highnesses Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia, Her Royal Highness Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O’Neill, lists will be made available on New Year’s Day, 1 January 2018, between 12 noon and 3 pm in the Hall of State at the Royal Palace. Entrance via the Southern Vault, Slottsbacken.
Nyårshälsningar till Kungafamiljen - Sveriges Kungahus

Aftonbladet Söndag had last week an article about the Royal Family's Year year 2018. State visit from Iceland, the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, birthdays, reminiscing Victoria's 40th birthday, when the Haga Princesses all came to Solliden, Victoria continuing her hikes, the Opening of the Parliament and in December queen Silvia's 75th birthday.

The Royal Family wishes Happy New Year with a gallery with photos and videos of events during the year. The material is taken from the court website, court Instagram and court Youtube.
Gott nytt år! Året som gick 2017 - Sveriges Kungahus

Some photos also at court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdXCbGCn2FI/?taken-by=kungahuset

Expressen has published their annual photo book/magazine "Kungaåret 2017" (The Royal Year 2017). In 2013-2016 the magazine was published with name "Året med Estelle & Kungafamiljen" (The Year with Estelle & The Royal Family).
The magazine has 158 photos of among others the royal's work events and the photos the court has published on the children's birthdays.
https://d3ry4o1su9a59w.cloudfront.n...0002e/5a4b385f03c6b715f3000032/1/432-0001.jpg

The Swedish and Danish royal families have borrowed clothes to Sven-Harry's Art Museum's exhibition "Secrets of Couture", 26th January - 2nd April.

Sven-Harry’s art museum opens the winter-spring 2018 season with the exhibition Secrets of Couture. This exhibition highlights the mythical haute couture fashion and its role in today's fashion climate, and also looks at the possible future orientation of couture. Many garments that have been worn by prominent Swedish women, arts celebrities and pioneers in their fields (from Selma Lagerlöf to the permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, Sara Danius) will be featured. A centrepiece of the exhibition is the gown Sara Danius wore at the Nobel ceremony in 2015, created by Pär Engsheden.
With pieces borrowed from private collections, international fashion houses and the Swedish and Danish royal families, the exhibition seeks to give an overview of the history and future of the secret world of couture. One of the basic ideas for the exhibition is to raise issues on the relevance of couture in today's fashion climate, and how traditional craftsmanship can be combined with future demands on sustainability and new materials. This is explored with young designers, and especially in a collaboration with the Beckmans College of Design. Under the auspices of Pär Engsheden, eleven students have created outfits that give an idea of how future designers interpret couture as a craft and expressive medium.
The exhibition was designed by a team that has worked for three years on the conceptual structure and contents. The exhibition's creative directors are Pär Engsheden and Ingrid Giertz-Mårtenson. Ulrika Kyaga is a guest curator and editor of the exhibition catalogue.
Pär Engsheden is a designer and has been established for many years as Sweden's foremost representative of the art of couture. He is also the head of fashion studies at the Beckmans College of Design.
Sven-Harrys konstmuseum __ About the exhibition Secrets of Couture

This is the exhibition queen Silvia mentioned at "The Year with the Royal Family".
- It is true that a number of garments have been loaned to Sven-Harry's Art Museum. They will be part of a haute couture exhibition at the museum, writes information officer Johan Tegel at an sms to Expressen.
Svaret bakom Silvias dokument i SVT_s Året med kungafamiljen _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom