Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Sweden: January 30-31, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
Their Royal Highnesses Duke and Duchess of Cambridge make an official visit to Sweden from 30 to 31 January 2018. The program of the visit will be announced later.
Hertigen och Hertiginnan av Cambridge besöker Sverige - Sveriges Kungahus

On 23rd January Crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel give an audience to H.E. Ambassador David Cairns on the occasion of the visit.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

On 26th January Crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel will be briefed by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs ahead of the visit.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

how very exciting! i can't wait to see what events the SRF has planned for the visit.

Press release from the swedish royal court

Program and media accreditation prior to the visit of the Duke of Cambridge
On 30-31 January 2018, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge make an official visit to Sweden on behalf of the British Government.
On the first day of the visit, the King and Queen welcome the Ducal couple to Sweden by hosting a lunch at the Royal Palace. During the visit, the Duke couple visits several different institutions and organizations. The Crown Princess couple participates in several of the program items and also receive the Ducal couple at Haga Palace.

Program
Below is an excerpt from the program for the parts of the visit in which members of the Swedish Royal Family are present:

Tuesday 30th January
The royal couple hosts a lunch at the Royal Palace

The Crown Princess Couple and Ducal couple walk from Royal Palace to Stortorget
At Stortorget, their Royal Highnesses meet the public in the early afternoon. (Time to be announced later.)

The Crown Princess couple and the Ducal couple visit the Nobel Museum
Their Royal Highnesses visit the Nobel Museum for information on the Nobel Prize and its history as well as meeting former Nobel Prize winners.

Dinner at the British residence
The Crown Princess couple, together with the Ducal couple and representatives from government, parliament, business and culture, attend a dinner at the British ambassador's residence.

Wednesday 31st January
The Crown Princess couple and the Ducal couple visit Karolinska institutet and Matteusskolan
Their Royal Highnesses visit KI and then Matteusskolan to take part in the work to combat mental ill health among children and young people.

The Crown Princess couple and the Ducal couple visit Nordiska Kompaniet
Their Royal Highnesses visit the NK department store to look an interactive exhibition about British design. They also meet representatives of British design and fashion companies operating in Sweden to learn more about companies' work, especially in sustainability issues.

The Crown Princess couple receives the Ducal couple at Haga Palace

The Crown Princess couple and Ducal couple attend a reception at Fotografiska
Their Royal Highnesses attend a reception for Swedish cultural life with invited guests from the music, film, television, arts and sports world.
Program och medieackreditering inför besöket av Hertigparet av Cambridge - Sveriges Kungahus

About the program of the Duke and Duchess in Sweden and Norway
Sweden and Norway_ A Statement from the Communications Secretary to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge _ The Royal Family

Last edited:
I don’t know if there’s a thread for the Norway leg of the visit but in addition to having tea with Victoria and Daniel, The Duke and Duchess will have lunch with Haakon and Mette-Marit

Definitely a long shot but wouldn’t it be lovely to see Estelle, Oscar, George and Charlotte together!

George and Charlotte are going to be in school. They aren’t going. I would imagine that Victoria and Daniel would bring the kids to London to visit Madeline and her family. Maybe then they would have a play date with the Cambridges. However, we probably would not even know about it especially if they spent a weekend in Norfolk.

Victoria met this afternoon at the Royal Palace the British Ambassador to Sweden, HE David Cairns. During the meeting ambassador Cairns informed Victoria about the program during the Ducal Couple's days in Sweden. Also ambassador's wife Sharon Cairns attended at the meeting.
Kronprinsessan i möte med Storbritanniens ambassadör - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ photo at court press room
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...nprinsessan_ambassadör_Foto_Kungahuset.se.jpg

Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeS6oHVH96E/?taken-by=kungahuset

Last edited:
That’s all in how you choose to look at it... I would expect that any time a royal visit happens, both parties are briefed by their governments about current issues in the other party’s country. It has little to do with what the issues are themselves, and more to do with being prepared for a foreign visit.

Regardless, the British Royal Family has had more a cooled relationship with the other European Royal Families since World War I, and even more so since World War II; Brexit has little to do with that.

That’s all in how you choose to look at it... I would expect that any time a royal visit happens, both parties are briefed by their governments about current issues in the other party’s country. It has little to do with what the issues are themselves, and more to do with being prepared for a foreign visit.

Regardless, the British Royal Family has had more a cooled relationship with the other European Royal Families since World War I, and even more so since World War II; Brexit has little to do with that.

My point was that Brexit may cause a cooling on the part of the European Royal Families, not on the British side. It is not personal, but royal families have to follow the guidelines of their prime ministers and ministers of foreign affairs when it comes to international relations. Several monarchies have governments that are strongly pro-Europe; if those governments cool down contacts with the British government after Brexit, it will also show in the contacts between the respective royal houses, i.e. fewer state/official visits and things like that.

Last edited:
The British Embassy in Stockholm tells at their Twitter, that William and Kate (and Victoria and Daniel) meet public at Stortorget at 14.45 on 30th January. It has been updated to the program the Royal Court published.

The online British Monarch Website still has no engagements for William for the next month in the
FE. Normally by this stage they would at least indicate that William and Kate were going to do an overseas tour but nothing there at all for them.

The weather forecast for Stockholm on Tuesday, January 30, is not so nice for a walk in the park: -5 C / 0 C ( 23 F / 32 F for the American readers), but at least no snow or rain.

Are they going Monday or Tuesday?

LaRae

Flying in on Monday. Tour starts Tuesday morning. Staying at U.K. Embassy in Stockholm

The duke and duchess have arrived in Stockholm. There are some pictures in the article. It basically just says that they were picked up at Arlanda by security staff.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungligt/william-och-kate-pa-plats-i-sverige/

They are staying at the brittish ambassadors residence since the guest flat at the castle is undergoing renovations.

I am really excited about this Scandinavian tour. I hope there is a good chemistry between the Cambridges and the Swedish royals.

It is a pity that they couldn't stay at the Royal Palace.

Yes, it's a pity they couldn't stay at the Palace, but nice to know it's logistics and not an overabundance of "distance" as was feared when people were comparing the visits to Sweden and Norway.

Nice to see they dressed for the weather! :D

Time schedule according to finnish Iltasanomat, which is following the visit:
10.15-10.45 William and Kate are watching bandy in Vasaparken.
13.00-14.30 King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia host a lunch at the Royal Palace.
14.40-15.10 Victoria, Daniel, William and Kate walk from the Royal Palace to Stortorget and then to the Nobel Museum.
15.20-15.30 At the Nobel Museum
15.35-16.30 William and Kate visit ArkDes
17.00 Dinner at the residence
https://www.is.fi/kuninkaalliset/art-2000005544968.html

Photos before the lunch at the Royal Palace.
https://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fo...AN=and&SF_FIELD3_GROUP=1&SF_FIELD3=&doSearch=
From Svensk Damtidning
https://www.svenskdam.se/2018/01/just-nu-kate-och-william-traffar-victoria-och-daniel/

Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BekvCa7nUJ_/

Victoria i Ida Sjöstedt _ Kungliga modebloggen

Walking from the Royal Palace to Stortorget, meeting people and going to the Nobel Museum.
IBL Bildbyrå

Se bilderna! Kate och William tar emot folkets jubel med Victoria och Daniel _ Svensk Damtidning

This is a lovely photo of Victoria
https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:132233584:1800x650:w?v=5a6b402a&m=akdechfb

Wondering what Daniel said to her in this
https://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:132234107:1800x650:w?v=5a6b402a&m=gdldejpa

And what William said in this
https://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:132233821:1800x650:w?v=5a6b402a&m=jcceapof

Gallery
Belga Image

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
They are surely dressed for the weather ! I wonder if the Swedes will find it a little amusing. Well, better safe than sorry.

Everybody there seem dressed for the weather, I don't think anyone will find it funny. Plus I'm sure they'll have a dress change to meet the King and Queen.

Last edited:
Everybody there seem dress for the weather, I don't think anyone will find it funny. Plus I'm sure they'll have a dress change to meet the King and Queen.

They should (dress for the weather, I mean), but William and Kate look slightly overdressed compared to the crowd and the people around them. Their very tall knit hats are a little amusing IMHO.

Last edited:
They should (dress for the weather, I mean), but William and Kate look slightly overdressed compared to the crowd and the people around them. Their very tall knit hats are a little amusing IMHO.
Most Scandinavians have several of those hats and I'm absolutely sure the spectators are bundled up just as much as WCC. Difference could be long johns, layers of undergarments, thick socks etc... Dressing for below zero is something we do several months a year so we're quite good at it

Most Scandinavians have several of those hats and I'm absolutely sure the spectators are bundled up just as much as WCC. Difference could be long johns, layers of undergarments, thick socks etc... Dressing for below zero is something we do several months a year so we're quite good at it

It is also a matter of how accostumed you are to that kind of weather. Accuweather, according to my web search, is reporting the current air temperature in Stockholm as -1 C (RealFeel - 6 C), which is cold and requires warm clothing for safety, but, in the US northeast or the American Midwest for example, would not be considered particularly cold, but rather a normal daytime temperature in the winter. In southeast England where William and Kate live, that is, however, pretty much the coldest it normally gets in the year (current air temperature in London for example is 6 C, with RealFeel 7 C). So, it is predictable that they may overreact.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom