Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Sweden: January 30-31, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt we will see a royal house marry into another one again. The trend for almost all of them has been to marry a 'regular' person.

LaRae

Reigning royal houses in Europe, yes, it seems unlikely. However, we still see some members of non-reigning royal houses (Gabriella of Habsburg/Austria and Henri of Bourbon-Parma come to mind as a future example) marry each other; and marriage between reigning families is a practice that we still can observe in other parts of the world.

I cannot understand why Daily Mail keep referring to Kate as Middleton. Surely even the most ignorant person in Britain will have an idea of what her title is now. She wasn't married yesterday.
Kate is fine with me, that's en endearment, at least that's how I use it. But Middleton that's just silly and to be honest quite insulting, both towards W&K but especially towards their readers, even those who are anti-monarchy.

Muhler, it is the purpose of the Daily Mail (aka the Daily Fail) to be insulting to both the intelligence and the self-esteem of its readers. That is why the Daily Mail can best be used to wrap fish and chips, thereby ensuring its poison rubs off into the dinners of countless British persons who should know better...but don't because they read the Daily Mail:bang:

I cannot understand why Daily Mail keep referring to Kate as Middleton. Surely even the most ignorant person in Britain will have an idea of what her title is now. She wasn't married yesterday.
Kate is fine with me, that's en endearment, at least that's how I use it. But Middleton that's just silly and to be honest quite insulting, both towards W&K but especially towards their readers, even those who are anti-monarchy.

Clicks plain and simple.

A lot of people don't know or care what her title is. Many people call her Princess Kate or so on. The fact is they want to get as many hits as possible online, that's how they make money. More people are going to search for Kate Middleton then for Duchess of Cambridge. By including both in the article, they cover both bases. Its not about being lazy, its about getting in as many readers as possible.

I am struck by the interaction between the couples and particularly Victoria and Kate who seemed to get on very well. Good to see, what hopefully will build into a strong friendship over future years.

Loved the sweet and rather wistful expression on William’s face as he looked at the kids. You could tell he was missing his little ones.

Clicks plain and simple.

A lot of people don't know or care what her title is. Many people call her Princess Kate or so on. The fact is they want to get as many hits as possible online, that's how they make money. More people are going to search for Kate Middleton then for Duchess of Cambridge. By including both in the article, they cover both bases. Its not about being lazy, its about getting in as many readers as possible.

And I, being naive, thought the purpose of the press was to be correct... :whistling:
And here Daily Mail has an opportunity to educate the unwashed masses. The press, being the Enlightened Ones, usually love to patronize the public.

Wonder if it will change when she becomes queen. :ermm:

And I, being naive, thought the purpose of the press was to be correct... :whistling:
And here Daily Mail has an opportunity to educate the unwashed masses. The press, being the Enlightened Ones, usually love to patronize the public.

Wonder if it will change when she becomes queen. :ermm:

As I was actually told by Richard Palmer, before he blocked me on twitter for calling him out one too many times on bad reporting, they have different standards for their online then they have for their actual published newspapers. Or so he tells me.

I guess they realize they cant patronize their readers unless they get readers. You go to a search engine like yahoo and they have the top 10 searched topics. 'Kate Middleton' is number 8. Duchess of Cambridge is not on the list. The Daily Mail is a Business first and foremost and sadly the bottom dollar seems to dictate certain things.

I am struck by the interaction between the couples and particularly Victoria and Kate who seemed to get on very well. Good to see, what hopefully will build into a strong friendship over future years.

Why would it matter if they're friends? It won't make any difference whatsoever to the relations between the two countries since royal families no longer play a role in policy making.

I will never understand the obsession of some on this website with the royals being 'friends' with one another. It's entirely irrelevant. The point of international visits for royals is not so that they meet their old friends, it's to promote the UK abroad, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm struggling to see much of a point to this visit in all honesty.

Why would it matter if they're friends? It won't make any difference whatsoever to the relations between the two countries since royal families no longer play a role in policy making.

I will never understand the obsession of some on this website with the royals being 'friends' with one another. It's entirely irrelevant. The point of international visits for royals is not so that they meet their old friends, it's to promote the UK abroad, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm one of those who believe it's a good idea if royals create personal relations, ideally friendships.

I disagree with you in regards to royals being without influence. Depending on the country and traditions as well as the role of the royal families and especially depending on the subject, they do have varying degrees of influence. - Certainly in regards to the public.
Royals are supposed to altruistic and royals from different countries often cover roughly the same topics. It's IMO always a good idea to exchange ideas and visions and experience in order to get the message across to both a domestic as well as international audience.
Let's take landmines. I doubt many western politicians would tell their royals to mind their own business on that one! If one royal address the issue, it's good. If two or even more talks against landmines, it's even better and reach a wider audience. Meaning they can benefit from each other and support each other.
We can discuss how much difference one royal speaking up against landmines make, but two or more prominent royals, then it begins to matter. - It's all a question of PR.
It's easier to co-operate and co-ordinate if they know each other personally.

As for personal relations when visiting each other, like on this visit.
Like with everybody else, royals too tend to be more relaxed if they know each other, and even more if they are friends. And that a totally different atmosphere which again sell better.
Here it's clear that V&D and W&K don't know each other. They are friendly, absolutely, but also a bit stiff.
Compare that to the interaction when V&D visit or are having a visit from royals they know and are friends with. It's a much more relaxed atmosphere, where they chat and joke and often forget they are on the job. That's a relationship V&D have with pretty much all other European royals of their age range.

The purpose of visiting Sweden? Showing the flag of course, but also creating a positive image of Britain, certainly in connection with the Brexit negotiations. The public in the smaller countries close to Britain, have a good deal of sympathy for Britain and most don't want to see Britain getting too hard a time at the negotiations. In comes a young likable couple; W&K.
They may not make much of a difference, but a little good PR is better than none IMO.
Apart from that, it's of course a practice run for W&K, for future state visits. Sweden and Norway are a safe, friendly and uncontroversial environment . You only become good at something if you do it fairly often.

And finally my pet-argument:
Royals are in a unique position, with very, very few who genuinely understand how it is to be a royal. It is IMO a good idea if they create personal relations with people in a similar situation, in order to learn from each other and exchange ideas and experience.

Rather a curt reply to my observation. I didn't suggest it "matters" and I hardly think my comment can be interpreted as obsessive. In the current climate, I think friendship between people from different countries at all levels of society is far from irrelevant.

This visit is part of the post-Brexit charm offensive initiated last year by the UK government. So far Charles has visited Romania, Charles and Camilla have visited Italy, Austria and Ireland, Harry has gone to Denmark and William and Kate have done Germany, Poland, Sweden and now Norway.

I suspect Charles and Camilla will make a visit somewhere in Europe this year as well - Spain or France come to mind with side visits to Portugal and Belgium although France is more likely next year for the 100th anniversary of the official end of WWI - end of the fighting is this year but the actual end of the war and lifting of the British blockade on Germany is next year.

:previous: I don't think petticoat was referring to just you. Yours was pretty tame. But there have been posts which have suggested things like 'bringing George and Charlotte so they can start having playdates'. While its always great to build relationships between royal houses, 'friends' might be a push. Victoria, and as an extension her husband, have a close relationship with Haakon and Fred as she has basically grown up with them. Its a long established relationship. The continental royals interact with each other on a private level. We see the Norweigans and Swedes on private vacations. This isn't a level that's going to be established with the Brits in the near future if ever. The British royals have been isolationist for many decades now. Edward and Sophie come closest, having established bonds with the houses having attended the events on the continent for years.

Yes, it is important though to build relations. And hopefully over time, as they see the continental royals at more events, the comfort level will grow. But the private relationships a friendship denotes, seems a bit unlikely.

I think some people long for the days when it was different. When Charles and Diana took the boys to vacation in Spain and so on. Or even further back, in hopes of dynastic marriages (have seen people ask if could happen again). Among the non-reigning houses it does still exist, because those houses still interact and socialize so its more natural.

It will be interesting to see when Charles is king, if Sophie and Edward continue doing weddings and continental events. Or if it will be the Cambridges, or even Harry and Meghan (like Wessexes do instead of Charles and Camilla).

Clicks plain and simple.

I guess much of the blame goes to the old-fashioned British custom of refusing to call the wives of princes " Princess [ first name]" as in Sweden or Denmark, even though they are legally princesses, just not "in their own right". Since the paper's can't call her Princess Catherine or Duchess Carherine, the only way to refer to her by her given name is to use her maiden name, which is more natural than always calling her by het title.

I suppose that, when she becomes the Princess of Wakes, British newspapers will start calling her Princess Catherine, which, although also technically wrong, has a precedent as Diana was also called that way,

Hopefully, as social convention sim the UK change, maybe the style and naming of wives of princes will also eventually change.

Thanks, for your tireless work, LadyFinn :notworthy:

Nice praise of V&D from Bunte.
Also funny to watch the school children, when the combined royals said hello. W&K - nice lady, nice dude, but it was clearly Victoria they were waiting for. Fully understandable of course.

It may be that the swedish government thinks the same way. Mediaperson and TV4 program host Ebba Kleberg von Sydow (who has hosted royal weddings and many TV-programs of the royal family) writes at her blog that because Sweden hadn't invited William and Kate, they just wanted to come, there wasn't any official welcoming at the airport when they arrived.

It may be that the swedish government thinks the same way. Mediaperson and TV4 program host Ebba Kleberg von Sydow (who has hosted royal weddings and many TV-programs of the royal family) writes at her blog that because Sweden hadn't invited William and Kate, they just wanted to come, there wasn't any official welcoming at the airport when they arrived.

There was not an official welcome at the airport as they arrived the evening before the official visit started. Happens often. Same with W-A & Max when they went to Italy last year. Clearly a badly informed journalist!

According to the CC there was - they were received at the airport by the British Ambassador to Sweden (fairly typical of the British Royal's arrival in most countries where is is the local ambassador/high commissioner who meets them.)

Only on full State Visits are there local nationals there to welcome then - so the Queen would received a full military welcome while anyone lower, unless her formal representative - gets the Ambassador.

There was not an official welcome at the airport as they arrived the evening before the official visit started. Happens often. Same with W-A & Max when they went to Italy last year. Clearly a badly informed journalist!

W-A & Max's visit to Italy was a state visit, wasn't it ? Very different then.

It is true that W&K were not invited to come to Sweden; they invited themselves. Also, following the Brexit referendum, the relationship between Sweden and the UK has cooled down considerably (remember Carl Bildt's awful tweets ? Although he's been long out of the government, it was quite telling IMHO).

That is actually a shame as Sweden, as a mildly Eurosceptic country that didn't join the Euro, used to be one of the UK's "natural allies" inside the EU.

W-A & Max's visit to Italy was a state visit, wasn't it ? Very different then.

It is true that W&K were not invited to come to Sweden; they invited themselves. Also, following the Brexit referendum, the relationship between Sweden and the UK has cooled down considerably (remember Carl Bildt's awful tweets ? Although he's been long out of the government, it was quite telling IMHO).

That is actually a shame as Sweden, as a mildly Eurosceptic country that didn't join the Euro, used to be one of the UK's "natural allies" inside the EU.

Well the reason for that relationship cooling down might be because of Sweden's need to find other allies within the union now UK is leaving. Sweden's biggest export market is the EU and with UK leaving and the trade obstacles that will mean for the not inconsiderable trade between the two nations the importance of the export to the remaining union countries will only increase. If not only because of the mess Whitehall has done of negotiations so far. A visit from the Cambridges won't make any difference at all.

If not only because of the mess Whitehall has done of negotiations so far.

Here is not the place for 'Brexit bickering', but since you mention it, 'not rolling over to EU demands is absolutely what the majority of UK citizens want.

I've been loving all the photos of this visit! As Catherine and Victoria are some of my favourite royals it was an extra bonus to see them together. William and Victoria seem to have a friendly relationship as well. I remember when there were rumours when William was single that he would marry Princess Madeleine, haha.
I do think it would have been nice if George and Charlotte could have come on the tour too because it would have been super cute if they had met Estelle and Oscar at the afternoon tea. Oh well, it's a rarity to see the Cambridges with continental royals and I was still satisfied with these photos; so I'm not complaining. :D

Back
Top Bottom