Death and Funeral of Count Carl Johan Bernadotte: May 5 and 14, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just reading about him last night! He intrigued me because he was elderly and a kind of link to a time long gone. From what I read he was an interesting and honorable man, may God Rest His Soul.

funerals take place (usually) 3/4 days after the actual day of death.
Not true for Sweden, the average time from death to funeral here is beween 16 and 22 days depending on where in Sweden you live.

The funeral service for Carl Johan Bernadotte will take place in Båstad Church on May 14:th. The casket will then be transported to Stockholm where it will be placed on lit de parade at the Royal Palace Church. A memorial service will be held there on May 15:th. He will be buried at the royal cemetery in the Haga Park outside Stockholm.

Last edited:
The court has just confirmed that the King and the Queen, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Prince Carl Philip will attend his funeral in Båstad on monday 14:th may.

How odd that he will not be buried beside his first wife, unless perhpas there are plans to move her body.

Prince Carl Phillip, at the inaugurated exhibition for 100 birthday of Prince Bertil, also had some words to say about Count Carl Johan.
Before we do that, I would like to ask you to give some thoughts to Prince Bertil's brother Carl Johan Bernadotte - a person who also has meant a lot to our family and for me. Carl Johan was, like his brother, also a warm and happy person and he has now left a big gap. I also appreciated him very much and will miss him and our pleasant conversation.
Originally posted by MagMil in Prince Carl Philip current events thread.

Prince Carl Phillip, at the inaugurated exhibition for 100 birthday of Prince Bertil, also had some words to say about Count Carl Johan.

Originally posted by MagMil in Prince Carl Philip current events thread.
Very nicely put by Carl Phillip. Short yet touching without possibly over shadowing Prince Bertil.

NGalitzine said:
How odd that he will not be buried beside his first wife, unless perhpas there are plans to move her body.

Apparently Carl Johan had wrote in his "last will" that he wished to be buried at the royal cemetery outside Stockholm were his parents and brothers are buried and that the grave should have space for more than 1 casket so his wife Gunnila can rest beside him when she passes away. They haven't said anything if the remsins of Carl Johans first wife Kerstin is going to be moved to the same grave or not

How sad :( I send my condolence to the count's family and all those in the Swedish royal family.
RIP count Carl Johan

Who will inherit the title of Duke of Dalarna now? Anyone knows?

:previous:
No one. As far as I understand, Carl Johan lost his title of Duke of Dalarna when he married morganatically.
And even if he still had it, since the Count had no biological son, the title would become extinct.

Count Carl Johan Bernadotte of Wisborg hasn't held that title since 1946 when he he lost all his Swedish royal titles.

Biri said:

Maybe the King will give the title to one of his grandchildren in the future, in memory of the good and humble man his uncle was.

Biri said:

Swedish titular dukedoms can't be inherited.

And even if could it wouldn't have happened as Carl Johan has not been a Duke since 1946.

But Carl Johan was considered as a former Duke of Dalarna and because of that we won't see a new Duke of Dalarna as long as his wife is alive. Even if he lost his title the dukedom is considered extant as long as the former holder or his wife (or her husband) is alive. That's how it works in Sweden.

Monica Bonde, the daughter of Carl Johan Bernadotte, says at Svensk Damtidning, that count Carl Johan thought until the very last, that he could attend at the christening of Estelle. Count Carl Johan had a very special relationship with Victoria. Victoria called him "Farbror Putte", "Uncle Putte". Carl Johan was so happy about that Victoria got a little girl, says Monica. She tells also that her father was happy to have two, or like three different lives. First as a prince at the Stockholm Palace, then the free life with Kerstin and finally, almost 25 peaceful and happy years with Gunnila. He was the best father in the world, he had a big and warm heart and took care of us, says Monica. He was a very participating father also, he helped us with our school work and took us to do many wonderful things. He wasn't a snob, the treated all people the same way. He had his humour and he loved sport, especially when Sweden was competing. Just a few weeks ago he followed a golf competition for many days in TV. He followed everything what was happening, until the last times. He liked very much of discussions, the best of those he had with his oldest grandchild Ebba. He had such a strong zest for life.

What a lovely tribute and what a darling gentleman he was.

It breaks my heart that he can´t see the christening, what a lovely man! RIP

He will see it from heaven!

I'm glad he saw Victoria marry the man she loves and become a mother.

Monica Bonde, the daughter of Carl Johan Bernadotte, says at Svensk Damtidning, that count Carl Johan thought until the very last, that he could attend at the christening of Estelle. Count Carl Johan had a very special relationship with Victoria. Victoria called him "Farbror Putte", "Uncle Putte". Carl Johan was so happy about that Victoria got a little girl, says Monica. She tells also that her father was happy to have two, or like three different lives. First as a prince at the Stockholm Palace, then the free life with Kerstin and finally, almost 25 peaceful and happy years with Gunnila. He was the best father in the world, he had a big and warm heart and took care of us, says Monica. He was a very participating father also, he helped us with our school work and took us to do many wonderful things. He wasn't a snob, the treated all people the same way. He had his humour and he loved sport, especially when Sweden was competing. Just a few weeks ago he followed a golf competition for many days in TV. He followed everything what was happening, until the last times. He liked very much of discussions, the best of those he had with his oldest grandchild Ebba. He had such a strong zest for life.

Such a lovely tribute from Monica.
The late Count was indeed a unique man. Such a pity he will not attend the Christening; given his warm relationship with Victoria, he would have been a very special guest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom