Death and Funeral of Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld: April 11 and May 11, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niclas Silfverschiöld wanted that only his son, Carl, inherits him. Expressen has taken note of two of Silfverschiöld's wills, signed in Malmö on April 28, 2003, where it is clear that the daughters don't inherit anything after him.
One testament governs Silfverschiöld's holdings in the entailed estate Koberg and Gåsevadholm. With an entailed estate, the practice is that the oldest son inherits the property and that other children don't get anything.
The entailed estate is currently dismantled in Sweden, which means that when the holder dies, the entailed estate will be discontinued. This means that the oldest son inherits half of the property, while the other half is divided according to succession or according to a will.
In his will, Silfverschiöld is clear that the free part of the property is going to his son.
But even when it comes to Silfverschiöld's private property, which is not governed by rules for entailed estate, Silfvershiöld's will was that his son Carl would be the only heir.
- My son Carl is going to receive the full inheritance after me. With this ordinance, I have discriminated my daughters Christina Louise and Hélène, writes Silfverschiöld.
However, the daughters have been compensated for this, through Princess Désirée, writes Silfverschiöld in his will.
- My daughters, however, have been compensated for this, in my wife's testimony signed this day, he writes.
Expressen has sought the three siblings. Through the administrator in the
estate, Carl-Fredrik Herslow, they make a joint statement.
- The siblings agree and the sisters have been compensated.
Carl-Fredrik Herslow doesn't want to go into detail about the compensation for Silfverschiöld's daughters.
Niclas Silfverschiöld testamenterar allt till sin son _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Niclas Silfverschiöld wanted that only his son, Carl, inherits him. Expressen has taken note of two of Silfverschiöld's wills, signed in Malmö on April 28, 2003, where it is clear that the daughters don't inherit anything after him.
One testament governs Silfverschiöld's holdings in the entailed estate Koberg and Gåsevadholm. With an entailed estate, the practice is that the oldest son inherits the property and that other children don't get anything.
The entailed estate is currently dismantled in Sweden, which means that when the holder dies, the entailed estate will be discontinued. This means that the oldest son inherits half of the property, while the other half is divided according to succession or according to a will.
In his will, Silfverschiöld is clear that the free part of the property is going to his son.
But even when it comes to Silfverschiöld's private property, which is not governed by rules for entailed estate, Silfvershiöld's will was that his son Carl would be the only heir.
- My son Carl is going to receive the full inheritance after me. With this ordinance, I have discriminated my daughters Christina Louise and Hélène, writes Silfverschiöld.
However, the daughters have been compensated for this, through Princess Désirée, writes Silfverschiöld in his will.
- My daughters, however, have been compensated for this, in my wife's testimony signed this day, he writes.
Expressen has sought the three siblings. Through the administrator in the
estate, Carl-Fredrik Herslow, they make a joint statement.
- The siblings agree and the sisters have been compensated.
Carl-Fredrik Herslow doesn't want to go into detail about the compensation for Silfverschiöld's daughters.
Niclas Silfverschiöld testamenterar allt till sin son _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation
There was a, at times, quite stormy debate in Sweden a few times ago after the release of a book by journalist Björn af Kleen where he had a closer look at the dissolution of the Swedish fideikommis (entail) system & how in many families other heirs than the oldest son were "persuaded" to relinquish their rights of inheritance to their eldest brother.
A few of the biggest entailed estates have been given dispensation from the dissolution of the system on account of the high cultural values they contain, others have been made into a special kind of fideikommis stock companies and many have been dissolved completely often resulting in them being lost to the families within a few generations and gigantic collections of art and furniture being broken up and sold abroad.

Princess Desiree's deceased husband, Niclas Silfverschiöld, leaves private assets of just over SEK 26 million. But his two daughters are not part of the inheritance. Son Carl, 52, inherits everything - as well as holdings in two fideikommiss (entailed estate) with assets of more than SEK 560 million.
The Silfverschiöld family has executed the estate inventory and compiled the deceased baron's assets. In total, there are 50 pages of economic documents submitted to the Swedish Tax Agency. Expressen has taken note of the documents, and it appears that Niclas Silfverschiöld's total private assets at the death date of April 11, 2017 amounted to just over SEK 26 million.
Most of the assets come from a claim to the Latvian company Skauni of more than SEK 20.5 million. Silfverschiöld also has a private shareholding in the company valued at around SEK 1.8 million.
In addition to this, two Volvo cars in the estate are worth just over SEK 200,000 and personal proverty in two houses in excess of SEK 2.4 million.
Silfverschiöld's testament is attached to the estate inventory - which states that son Carl inherits everything. Niclas Silfverschiöld writes in his will that he thereby disadvantaged his daughters.
- With this settlement, I have disadvantaged my daughters Christina Louise and Héléne. My daughters, however, have been compensated for this because in my wife's will this day, he writes in his will from 2003.
A special estate inventory has also been submitted for Silfverschiöld's possession in two fideikommiss Koberg and Gåsevadsholm.
With a fideikommiss practice is that the eldest son inherits the goods and that the other children do not get anything.
Fideikommiss is currently settled in Sweden, which means that when the holder dies, fideikommiss will be discontinued. This means that the oldest inherits half of the property, while the other half is divided according to inheritance or according to will.
According to the estate inventory, fideikommiss has assets of more than SEK 560 million.
In his special will, Silfverschiöld is clear that the free part of the property goes also to his son.
- If my son Carl should be deceased at the time of my death and then leaves a direct heir, his oldest male heir will enter into my son's right. With this ordinance, my daughters Christina Louise and Héléne have been disadvantaged. The reason for this are my - and my family's - wishes to keep fideikommiss together, writes Silfverschiöld in his will.
Expressen has been in contact with Carl Silfverschiöld who writes in an email, among other things:
- I consider this as private and not of public interest.
Hagasessan Désirées döttrar utan miljonarvet – sonen får allt _ Kungligt _ Expressen

It seems that Sweden, despite having chosen one of Napoléon's Field Marshals as King (Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte), does not follow the Code Napoléon? In most continental countries every child has the right on an equal part of the inheritance. Disinheriting a child is almost impossible. I am surprised that in egalitarian Sweden it is possible to make a difference in children.

Of course fideï commissionary arrangements are nothing new (it is a derivate of Roman law) but in most countries also these are no longer allowed and transfered into Foundations and Trusts which are no natural person and therefore not subjected to inheritance laws.

Very surprising to learn that making differences between children is still allowed in Sweden, although the daughters will be "compensated" via their mother's will (so again making differences between children).

But okay, the beautiful ancestral estates reman with the son, the current Friherre. So I very much understand the objective of their late father, which was to ensure to pass his family's patrimonium complete.

Last edited:
It's 3 million US Dollars. He wasn't terribly rich.

That is "the private wealth". In reality the bulk was stacked in a Fideï Commis (the ancient Roman predecessor of a Foundation), including beautiful ancestral estates.

It is like the Bernadottes being "poor" while they are bedecked with diamonds (from the Bernadotte Foundation) or enjoy Italian Masters at their walls (from the Galliera Foundation). One can be very rich in daily reality and not so rich on paper...

Back
Top Bottom