ABBA singing "Dancing Queen" for the Swedish King and Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allison513

City
Perth
Country
Australia
Hi

Has anyone seen the footage of ABBA singing Dancing Queen for the King and Queen of Sweden?

I remember seeing when I was very young. I think it was filmed in the late 70's.

ABBA were in period costume.

Thanks very much

Hi allison513.
No I didn't sorry.
But I wish I had, I love ABBA and still listen to their music.

Thanks for that stroll down memory lane Australian,
1979 certainly was a very busy year for ABBA. It was great to see the pictures of them again, I can't believe I used to wear costumes like the girls and sing all their songs using my hair brush as a mic.

I believe they performed before the king and his bride Silvia the night before (or around) their wedding as part of the wedding celebrations.
I haven't seen the whole thing, just parts, in documentaries about the swedish wedding.

Yes, it was the night before the wedding in june 1976.
I have it on a ABBA DVD... The King and Queen are smiling and clapping hands :)

I was for the first time in a long while listening to ABBA while doing housework yesterday. Dancing Queen is a fabulous song and ABBA are one of the great groups ever. Although the song was not written for Silvia it will always be associated with her.

Yes, it was great!
It was a fantastic idea!
The costumes looked really dramatical! ;)

Here are two pictures of the performance:
Anni-Frid Lyngstad (now Princess Reuss) & Agnetha Fältskog performing "Dancing Queen"

http://imageshack.us
PicturesSources; Raffem.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for pics! :flowers: :wub:
does anyone have video of this performance? I would really like to see it :)

Her_Majesty said:
Yes, it was great!
It was a fantastic idea!
The costumes looked really dramatical! ;)

Here are two pictures of the performance:
Anni-Frid Lyngstad (now Princess Reuss) & Agnetha Fältskog performing "Dancing Queen"

PicturesSources; Raffem.com

Why is Anni-Frid Lyngstad now Princess Reuss?
Just wondering...

She married Prince Heinrich Ruzzo Reuss von Plauen in 1992, he died 7 years later of cancer (?). I also think he went to school with King Carl Gustav and she has become friends with Queen Silvia. There are pictures of her at King Carl Gustav 60th birthday party.

Yennie said:
Yes, it was the night before the wedding in june 1976.
I have it on a ABBA DVD... The King and Queen are smiling and clapping hands :)

You mean: The King and his fiancée.

:flowers:

She was not married on that moment. That was to happen the day after.

RachelD said:
Why is Anni-Frid Lyngstad now Princess Reuss?
Just wondering...
Oppie said:
She married Prince Heinrich Ruzzo Reuss von Plauen in 1992, he died 7 years later of cancer (?). I also think he went to school with King Carl Gustav and she has become friends with Queen Silvia. There are pictures of her at King Carl Gustav 60th birthday party.
Here is a thread about the Princely House of Reuss:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/princely-house-reuss-9777.html
You can also find pictures of Anni-Frid attending Carl Gustav's birthday there.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are saying that Silvia IS a Dancing Queen? I'm sure she is.

So ABBA is finally singing as a group now? Good to know.

The O.C. Fanatic said:
I wonder if they are saying that Silvia IS a Dancing Queen? I'm sure she is.

So ABBA is finally singing as a group now? Good to know.
They're not, unfortunately. They were reportedly offered $1 billion if they got back together & do a world tour, but they declined.
As one of the <original> abba fans, :wub::wub:, I'm of the opinion it's a huge bummer. :sad::sad::sad:

princess olga said:
They're not, unfortunately. They were reportedly offered $1 billion if they got back together & do a world tour, but they declined.
As one of the <original> abba fans, :wub::wub:, I'm of the opinion it's a huge bummer. :sad::sad::sad:
So am I :sad:
But hey.
We see Benny Andersson , Björn Unlveus and Anni-Frid Reuss so often! They attend nearly every "Mamma Mia" event. Last year even Agnetha Fältskog came to the MammaMia premier in Stockholm! So , all 4 together! :flowers:
Have a look on this site if you are interested: www.raffem.com
Björn and Frida just attended MammaMia in Moscow.

I think that's very cool that Sylvia is friends with Anni-Frid. I love Abba!
If the group socialize (which means they get along) I wonder why they would turn down 1 billion dollars. But maybe they make enough money (royalties) from the MamaMia shows. btw I saw this show and I really enjoyed it!

Countdown!

For those Australians with good memories, Countdown showed this clip at the time (thanks Molly!).
The youtube versions don't do the performance justice. The sound was full, and the emotion was palpable. It was very special. :)
As an aside, even on youtube Silvia's Connaught tiara glitters and sparkles very nicely.

Warren said:
As an aside, even on youtube Silvia's Connaught tiara glitters and sparkles very nicely.

Didn't it just!

HM looked simply devine.

My mum remembers that performance!

And the Connaught crown... That must come from Margareth of Connaught, King Carl Gustaf's grandmother.

That's nice that ABBA sang for the queen before Silvia even became queen.
I heard the 1993 version sang by the princess of Ruess and she still sounded great without the other members of the former group.

Sereta said:
I wonder why they would turn down 1 billion dollars. But maybe they make enough money (royalties) from the MamaMia shows.

they keep sayin its coz they want 2 b remembered as they were..not how they are now...;)

besides they all got enough money as it is... oh n that billion dollar.. that was EACH... which is FOUR billions...:rolleyes:

That's nice that ABBA sang for the queen before Silvia even became queen.
I heard the 1993 version sang by the princess of Ruess and she still sounded great without the other members of the former group.

I think Agnetha got a brilliant voice, v nice soprano, but Anni Frid got an unique sound in her messo-soprano voice and I think the "secret" of the ABBA sound v much is about the voises of the two of them together.... and I think (please dont hit me :)) Agnetha is exchangeable but not AnniFrid....

I think Agnetha got a brilliant voice, v nice soprano, but Anni Frid got an unique sound in her messo-soprano voice and I think the "secret" of the ABBA sound v much is about the voises of the two of them together.... and I think (please dont hit me :)) Agnetha is exchangeable but not AnniFrid....
I agree with you at all...

While I would never say that Agnetha's voice is 'exchangeable', it's definitely true that Anni-Frid's voice was always technically far superior, with a much wider range of tones as well as expression.
I remember seeing a clip from the US 'Dick Cavett' talk show from the late 70s where Anni-Frid jumped into improvising a short bit of an apera aria and it actually sounded good - something Agnetha simply couldn't have done.
But both their voices remained amazingly unchanged in later years, as you can hear on their solo albums.
With (Princess) Anni-Frid having become a good friend of Queen Silvia since the 1990s, I wonder if there might be anything in the works to pay tribute to the next Swedish Royal couple in summer 2010.
I have no idea if the two As would ever want to sing on stage together again, but yet another Royal pre-wedding gala thirty-four years later could be the one occasion for which they might be persuaded to do so...

Frida from "ABBA"

I remember I've read somewhere that the ABBA singer Frida married a Swiss prince or aristocrat.
Does anyone know more on this subject?

Back
Top Bottom