A Swedish Royal Christmas (Traditions, Christmas Cards, Photo Sessions)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About the king's Christmas speech:
Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor writes:
The king has definitely become better at speaking. This year's speech, however, was a bit vague. The king raised expected subjects, the terror attack on Drottninggatan course, but also #metoo. Though he did not pronounce the call with name at any time, nor its meaning ... but fired it a bit with words such as "unacceptable violations". I'd probably think that our king would dare to develop a little more.
A golden star though - something that touched me was that the king actually targeted personal and warm condolences to the families of the five victims on Drottninggatan.
Last Christmas, the king said something we all probably thought of: "Where are we going?" This undertone was also at this year's speech, there was an uneasiness when the king spoke about the great military exercise Aurora and the importance of joining the Nordic countries. It felt a bit like the war could come ...
When Victoria turned 40 years, she gave herself a special gift: she decided to carry out hikes in all Sweden's provinces. And the king mentioned also these hikes - not without some pride!
I wished a little more hopes - and perhaps promises - before 2018. I wished that the king would include all our new arrivals in his Christmas greetings. They are today a fairly large part of our society.
But on the whole, it was a good and straight Christmas speech. I give it 3 Christmas points!
Karin Lennmor_ Årets tal var lite vekt och vagt _ Karin Lennmor _ Expressen

Rhetoric expert Elaine Eksvärd says among other things that the people remember best of the king's speech the things at his desk. Eksvärd says that in 2016 the king made a great speech, this wasn't so good. The king makes his best speeches when he speaks about something he has experienced himself at his speech. Eksvärd hopes that the king would be more spontaneous, that he would stand instead of sitting during his speech.

The Swedish Royal Family Has a Must-Watch YouTube Channel
If you’re looking for a way to kill time this holiday season and are tired of your own family, consider joining the Swedish royal family…online, at least.
Even if you don’t speak Swedish, you can appreciate a precious video, and that’s what the Swedish royals provide courtesy of Kungahuset, the official channel of the Swedish royal court.
In this holiday clip, Crown Princess Victoria plays with her children, sledding down a hill, engaging in an aggressive snowball fight ...
Watch the Swedish Royal Family’s YouTube Channel _ Observer

The Christmas greeting video 2017 has been watched over 773 000 times.

Svensk Damtidning has some photos from the Crown princess family's Christmas greeting by Stella Pictures and SVT.
https://www.svenskdam.se/2018/01/se-fina-bilderna-inifran-haga-slott/

Last edited by a moderator:
So sweet! They look like they had very much fun!

At court Press room are two lovely photos of Estelle and Oscar today, St. Lucia's Day. Taken by Victoria at Haga Palace.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...nprinsessan_Victoria_Kungl.Hovstaterna_02.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...nprinsessan_Victoria_Kungl.Hovstaterna_01.jpg

St. Lucia's Day marks the beginning of Christmas time in Scandinavia.
In the olden days, aka last century when I was a kid, this was the day that you put up your Christmas ornaments.
Advent candelabras and stars came up in the windows on 1st of advent
Christmas ornaments on St Lucia
Christmas trees on 23d of December.

In the olden days, aka last century when I was a kid, this was the day that you put up your Christmas ornaments.
Advent candelabras and stars came up in the windows on 1st of advent
Christmas ornaments on St Lucia
Christmas trees on 23d of December.

It was quite the same in my childhood here in Finland. In the area where finnish is the main language, people don't celebrate St. Lucia's Day so much but we talk about the day anyway. The day is still important in the area where swedish is the main language.
It would be great if Victoria and Daniel would publish photos of their children at St. Lucia's Day in some years to come too.

Här lussar Estelle och Oscar på Haga – se nya bilderna! _ Svensk Damtidning

Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor says at this video, that she has heard rumors, that the royal family celebrates Christmas at Haga Palace, instead of Drottningholm Palace, where the royal family has always celebrated Christmas together.

Lilla Akademien's grade 6's Lucia parade paid a visit to the Royal Palace in the morning, video from court Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset/videos/vb.133515803374007/273379050040972/?type=2&theater

Svensk Damtidning writes that the Santa Lucia crown Estelle had at the photos, is from Åhlens. And Oscar's star boy linen is also from Åhléns. In addition, the linen is made of sustainable material - which is important for environmentalist Victoria. Victoria has already bought hyacinths, one can seen at the photo. The big windows also reveal that the photo is taken on the Crown Princess couple's beautiful glass veranda. There is a lot of light and it is often used for visits and afternoon tea.
Okända detaljerna i nya bilden på Estelle och Oscar _ Svensk Damtidning

Svensk Damtidning also reminds us about the five Christmas videos of the crown princess family, and about one video from Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine's childhood.
Här är de kungliga julklippen vi minns! _ Svensk Damtidning

King Carl Gustaf's traditional Christmas speech will be broadcasted on 25th December at 19.45 at SVT1.

Carl Philip and Alexander received the Christmas Trees from the Royal College of Forestry's student union.
Prins Carl Philip och Prins Alexander tog emot julgranar - Sveriges Kungahus
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrfgtyPFvuO/
Alexander och Carl Philip tog emot julgranar på slottet _ Svensk Damtidning

Great to see that the next generations are included in this event! I seem to remember that Victoria and Estelle were the ones who recieved the Christmas trees a few years ago.

Prince Alexander looks fantastic in his red hat and red slacks to match.

The Royal Family have much to celebrate this year with the queen's 75th Birthday and Christmas.

Great to see that the next generations are included in this event! I seem to remember that Victoria and Estelle were the ones who recieved the Christmas trees a few years ago.

It's been the younger generation for some time. Victoria and her kids have done it the past few years. Estelle accompanied her mom as far back as 2013. :flowers:

Nice to see CP and his eldest son this year. ?

Traditional Christmas greeting with a video from the Crown Princess Family.
En julhälsning från Kronprinsessfamiljen - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ photos by Tiina Björkbacka
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...m Jul1_foto_T_BjörkbackaKungl.Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...m Jul2_foto_T_BjörkbackaKungl.Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...m_Jul3_foto_T_BjörkbackaKungl.Hovstaterna.jpg

As always, lovely photos and a wonderful video which gives me a Christmas feeling although it is very busy at work.
At court Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset/videos/vb.133515803374007/299695010658404/?type=2&theater
Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brj9-n-FVVR/

"Mom is like grandmother. She can do all the tricks in the world", Estelle says while she managed to get out the white hyacinth from its plastic jar and place it in a new fine clay pot and put the white moss around it.
And imagine how it warms both mother Victoria and grandmother Silvia's ears and heart to hear such words from Estelle. All parents and grandparents are dreaming that the children should feel their love, be inspired by them and that the band between them should be so strong that they always dare to come to you if something has happened, fun or hard. And Princess Estelle seems to look up to Mom and Grandmother. Victoria and Silvia must have shown Estelle many tricks over the years so she felt so sure they could "be all tricks in the world".
Estelles ord om Silvia får alla hjärtan att smälta – hör dem här! _ Svensk Damtidning

Prins Oscars show i julhälsningen_ _Pepparkakeland_ _ Svensk Damtidning

Nya julfilmen_ Här sjunger och pysslar kungafamiljen _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Kronprinsessan Victoria med familj önskar god jul från Haga slott _ Hovbloggen

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attended on Wednesday evening at "Klassisk jul" Christmas concert at Hedvig Eleonora church. Court singers Elin Rombo and Peter Mattei sang with Stockholm Sinfonietta.

Photos at Instagram of photographer Pelle T Nilsson
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrlRGG-B21Z/

Gallery
ROYAL: Silvia und Carl Gustaf beim Weihnachtskonzert "Klassisk jul" in Stockholm

Some screenshots from the Christmas video
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Isabella Löwengrip, one of the inspirators/experts at Prince Daniel's Fellowship Entrepreneurial program, has got a Christmas card from Daniel with a photo of the crown princess family, and showed it at her Insta Story.
- This is by far the finest Christmas card I have received this year, says Isabella Löwengrip at her Instagram Story.
Prins Daniels överraskning till Isabella Löwengrip

And here is the Christmas card of the Crown princess family, at Isabella Löwengrip's website.
- I got a very nice Christmas card from Prince Daniel. The kids are so incredibly cute!
Julbord med mitt närmsta team

What a great photo of the family!

I love the Christmas video. Such sweet view of Christmas :flowers:

I love the Swedish royals let us see the kids here and there not just on a balcony. Actual glimpses of family life without too much intrusion.

Oscar is a cutie. Estelle is too, but Oscar was so shy before and now his sweet personality is breaking through.

Svensk Damtidning has been in contact with the court about what the royal family does during the Christmas holidays.
- Now there is a time when many in Sweden and the royal family are having a break to meet their family and private friends, says Margareta Thorgren.
Will the Haga princesses celebrate Christmas with the royal family at Drottningholm?
- I have no information about the other members of the royal family.
On the other hand, we are told that Madeleine will not greet Chris's family in London.
- The princess has just come to Sweden and will be here over Christmas, says Thorgren.
Svensk Damtidning also mentions that the members of the royal family often go skiing during the Christmas holidays.
Kungafamiljen tar julledigt – det här ska de göra _ Svensk Damtidning

Victoria, Estelle and Oscar on the cover of Expressen Söndag (Sunday magazine)
That's how the Christmas of Dreams is celebrated at the Palace All are gathered Food, traditions Silvia's birthday

Swedish Gala Magazine wishes Merry Christmas with the Crown princess family's Christmas video
God Jul önskar GALA magazine!

The Crown princess family's Christmas video has already been watched over 250 000 times.

At the Royal Palace
Christmas hunt
Bring your children and grandchildren to the Royal Aaprtments at the Royal Palace during the Christmas holidays. We need your help looking for elves and escaped animals.
Elf hunt at Christmas
The elf hunt will take place during the Christmas holidays in the Royal Apartemnts. A number of silver elves are hiding in the grand rooms of the palace. Use an elf hunt map, available in Swedish, English, Finnish and Russian, to find the elves and cross them off the list. Everyone who returns a map will receive a reward.
Christmas holiday Royal Palace - Kungliga slotten

Now there are elfs hidden in the Royal Palace's parade floors before the annual Christmas hunt. Museum teacher Ellinor has found clever hiding places this year.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bru_E7jBa3_/

Last edited:
The King's Christmas Speech is broadcasted at 19.45 at SVT1. The speech is already now at Royal Court Youtube Channel:
The speech
The king said among other things:
When I look back on the year that has passed, I am thinking in particular of all the people I met around our country, who in different ways chose to take responsibility. Either in everyday life or in extraordinary situations.
People who have made a difference when they have shown courage, thought and action.(...)
This autumn, the Queen and I visited with the Crown Princess couple the city of Pau in France. That was where my ancestor was born in 1763.
And there the Crown Princess received a magnolia plant; a cut from a tree that King Oscar II planted on his visit to Pau in 1899.
It was handed over to the Crown Princess as a gift to Princess Estelle. In the spring, it will be planted at Haga Palace. There, it will hopefully take root and eventually bloom, as a symbol of history's union with the future.(...)
Just a few days ago we celebrated the Queen's 75th birthday. Over the years, the Queen has worked stubbornly and purposefully to improve the conditions for vulnerable children and young people, but also for people with dementia.
And it felt both important and positive to be able to pay attention to these efforts in connection with the Queen's birthday.
H.M. Konungens jultal 2018 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

At the desk is a group photo taken at the same time in the summer than the already published photos. Perhaps the court publishes this photo at their New Year greeting.

Last edited:
The king's emotional tribute to the queen
In this year's Christmas speech, the King talked about the protracted government formation process and the summer forest fires - and praised the Queen's efforts for children and dementia sufferers.
- It felt both important and positive to be able to pay attention to these efforts in connection with the Queen's birthday, said the king in his speech.
Kungens känslosamma hyllning till drottningen i jultalet

Responsibility - theme of the King's Christmas Speech
He spoke a lot about responsibility, among other things to act in a way that honors the trust one has gained.
The King also took up several memorial days, such as the fact that this year was 100 years since the end of the First World War, that it is 200 years since his ancestor Jean Baptiste Bernadotte became king in Sweden and that it was taken 100 years ago the first crucial step towards universal suffrage. He also touched on the difficulty of forming a new government.
Ansvar – tema i Kungens jultal - Nyheter (Ekot) _ Sveriges Radio

https://mb.cision.com/Public/123/2707348/bd40a7b88cda2dd6_org.jpg

Here's another link to the Kings Christmas Message as I keep getting a video for mobile phones above :previous:

What I found interesting is that the king mentioned the crown princess and princess Estelle twice at his speech. To me it felt that he wanted to emphasize the continuity of monarchy at this time when there is no real government in Sweden. He said that this year it has gone 200 years when Jean Baptiste Bernadotte became king Karl XIV Johan and highlighted that Victoria got the magnolia plant to give to Estelle and that it is a symbol of history's union with the future.

Rhetoric expert Elinor Falkman was interviewed about the King's Christmas speech yesterday morning at TV4 Nyhetsmorgon.
Falkman says that because Sweden doesn't have a real government and prime minister now, the king is Sweden's solid point. According to the government form the king should be the gathering symbol of the nation, and we need that right now. Maybe whatever you think about him and the monarchy, we need a gathering symbol.
Falkman says that the king was at his speech as he always is, but he spoke about the problems we are having now. About how the king spoke about the crisis of the Swedish Academy, he didn't mention the Academy, but after he has spoken about it, he said that he and his family attended at the Nobel festivities and so you understood that it was a direct order to the Academy. The king's role is very difficult: as a speaker he should think about himself, who am I and what is my target audience - which is the whole people of Sweden. He is the Head of State but he may not be political. Falkman thinks that the king was very good in this part.
About what the king said about the crisis in forming a government "Maybe we can become a little impatient", was a little funny but this understatement is straight from the rhetoric book.
About what the king said about queen Silvia, Falkman says that the king is also the ceo of monarchy Bernadotte. He represents his brand and the brand of the Royal House. So every time he says something, he represents himself. And therefore it is important to comment and listen, there are people who think he does a good job, there are people who think that there should not be a king. Now he speaks about his wife, as the financial manager of company Bernadotte, the monarchy. He says that the queen has worked worked stubbornly and purposefully and this has been important and positive. Falkman says that this sounds like the queen should get a golden watch of her service to the royal house and this makes Falkman a little sad. The king could have said that he is proud of what the queen has done, or that on 42 of her 75 years she has stood at the king's side. To say a little more something which would have shown that the queen is more than a co-worker at the monarchy, she is also his wife. It would have given more heart to the speech.

Last edited:
The swedish press has written about the group photo of the family which was seen at the king's desk at his Christmas speech.
- The royal family has also their private photos, says Margareta Thorgren.
Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor:
- The king thinks it was a nice picture and therefore he wants it on his desk. I don't think there is any calculation in it, some pictures are given to the press and others they keep themselves.
After the Christmas speech, the royal family celebrated New Year in different directions, says Margareta Thorgren.
- It is private so we don't comment more closely. 2018 has been intense in the end and now there are few days when the royal family has no official duties.
Familjebilden som kungen ville behålla för sig själv

Queen Silvia has given an interview to Världen Idag's God Jul Christmas Magazine.
Queen Silvia puts the children and Jesus at the center during Christmas
She says that she is looking forward to the Christmas, mostly being with her family. December is quite hectic work month for them, but the queen tries to take in the wonderful, expectant atmosphere that exists in the Advent era. On Christmas day the family goes in the early Christmas church service, preferably followed by a Christmas walk in Drottningholm Palace Park.

Christmas in Miami - for 25 plus and sun. While the rest of the royal family celebrates at Drottningholm. So it may be for Princess Madeleine this year.
Now it is clear that Princess Madeleine's Nobel celebration in Sweden will be a short visit. After Lucia on December 13, she sits on the plane and flies home again.
And unlike last year, when she had her entire family with her, the princess comes to Stockholm alone the days before the Nobel. Chris and the children are staying home in Miami, Margareta Thorgren told to Svensk Damtidning.
But what about the Christmas celebration at Drottningholm? Will Princess Madeleine return to Stockholm to celebrate Christmas?
- It's their private Christmas celebration. So I have no information about that, says Margareta Thorgren, adding:
- But that's not impossible.
Tecknet på att Madeleine missar julen på Drottningholm _ Svensk Dam

Victoria and Daniel will give on 18th December an audience to Skogshögskolans Studentkår (The Student Union of the Swedish College of Forestry) and receive the Christmas trees to the Royal Palace.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Hopefully they have at least Oscar with them. We will see if Estelle can skip school on that day, usually after receiving the Christmas trees there is the Christmas service in the Royal Chapel for the employees of the court and for the entire royal family. And after that, a Christmas lunch for the employees of the court and royal family.

Just like last year, today, on St. Lucia's Day, the court publishes photos of Estelle and Oscar. This year with Estelle's pony Viktor, taken by Sara Friberg/The Royal Court.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...ia_E_O_Foto_SaraFriberg_Kungl.Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...ucia_E_Foto_SaraFriberg_Kungl.Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...ucia_O_Foto_SaraFriberg_Kungl.Hovstaterna.jpg

At court Facebook and Instagram
"With candles in their crowns, Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar come with a greeting of Christmas peace. Happy St. Lucia's Day!"
Kungahuset - Med ljus i sina kronor kommer Prinsessan... _ Facebook
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6AQrIlAuUf/

St. Lucia's Day and advent mark the beginning of Christmas time in Sweden.

Estelle och Oscar önskar glad Lucia –se bilderna _ Svensk Dam

Margareta Thorgren tells Expressen that the pictures were taken in the Royal Stables in Stockholm a week ago.
"Today, the children are in their respective schools celebrating Lucia as most children do in Sweden", she writes in a text message.
Prinsessan Estelle och prins Oscars hälsning på Lucia

At TV4 News morning today

The court with a video at its social media
"This morning, the Royal Palace was visited by a Lucia parade from Lilla Akademien's grade 8, which performed Lucia and Christmas songs in the southern Palace vault. Happy Lucia!"
Lucia på Kungliga slottet
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6AtSPBA_7H/

Back
Top Bottom