A Swedish Royal Christmas (Traditions, Christmas Cards, Photo Sessions)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lucia oh i luv that..its my fave part of the xmas preperations..cant wait til tuesday when i'll spend the day singing lucia songs in various lucia processions with my choir :)

How does the swedens celerbrate x-mas this year ??

And does it give a Christmas-Card?

Last edited:
Madeleine wishes Happy Holidays at her official Facebook with this photo:
Christmas Tree at Haga.
https://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524885_205919792878799_974207405_n.jpg

Video of the King's Christmas Speech
H.M. Konungens jultal | SVT Play

From the end of the speech:
I would also take this opportunity to thank for all congratulations to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in connection with Princess Estelle came into the world. It is a great event for the whole family, the Queen and me to become grandparents and Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine got their first niece. That Sweden received it's new princess with such love warmed us all.
Now I hope that together we will be sure to make the coming year a good year. A year full of new opportunities. And we are particularly pleased with the upcoming wedding of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill.
For me, 2013 is also a bit of an anniversary. Then it's 40 years since I became Sweden's king and head of state. I want to celebrate. Therefore, the Queen and I visit every county in the year. We begin in Kalmar in early March. And we hope during these visits get to meet so many of you as possible all around Sweden, which meant so much to us over the years.
I want to finish with these words and together with my family to wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013!

The whole speech
H.M. Konungens jultal 2012 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

A signed Christmas Card of the Royal Family
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9_A77KCcAENs6K.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:
Video of the King's Christmas Speech
H.M. Konungens jultal | SVT Play

From the end of the speech:
I would also take this opportunity to thank for all congratulations to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in connection with Princess Estelle came into the world. It is a great event for the whole family, the Queen and me to become grandparents and Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine got their first niece. That Sweden received it's new princess with such love warmed us all.
Now I hope that together we will be sure to make the coming year a good year. A year full of new opportunities. And we are particularly pleased with the upcoming wedding of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill.
For me, 2013 is also a bit of an anniversary. Then it's 40 years since I became Sweden's king and head of state. I want to celebrate. Therefore, the Queen and I visit every county in the year. We begin in Kalmar in early March. And we hope during these visits get to meet so many of you as possible all around Sweden, which meant so much to us over the years.
I want to finish with these words and together with my family to wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013!

The whole speech
H.M. Konungens jultal 2012 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Many thanks for the link and translation LadyFinn!

Thank you very much LadyFinn!
I love the Queen with Princess Estelle. However, that pic could have been better: they all look great, but there's a weird distance between everbody and the crown princess. Just a question of balance.

Yes, I was thinking the same. And everyone is smiling - except the king.

perfect christmas card!!!!

One long Christmas tradition stops this Christmas. Princess Christina and her family have traditionally spent the Christmas Eve with the royal family at Drottningholm. But princess Christina told to Svensk Damtidning, that the families have grown so big that they are spending Christmas just with their family, not in Drottningholm.

That's a bit sad but very understandable. I come from a large extended family and it's been many years since we last celebrated Christmas together. There's many people and then there's too many people. If the Christmas traditions in Sweden are similar to the Danish ones, I reckon that the King's family and Princess Christina's family will see each other in the days following Christmas Eve.

Expressen's royal reporter Johan T Lindwall told yesterday at a live interview, that according to his sources, Madeleine and Chris will spend the Christmas Eve with Chris' mother in London, Carl Philip will go to Sofia's family in Älvdalen. And Victoria and Daniel are spending Christmas with Daniel's family either at the Haga Palace or in Ockelbo, yesterday it looked like they shall be celebrating Christmas at Haga. Princess Christina is celebrating Christmas with her family. This Christmas the members of the swedish royal family are creating new traditions for Christmas, like in Norway (Haakon and Mette-Marit are not celebrating Christmas with the king and queen) or Denmark, where Mary and Frederik for the first time are celebrating Christmas with their family, not with the Queen and prince Henrik.
Everything points to that Madeleine and Chris will fly from London back to New York and she will give birth there.

Last edited:
Indeed a tradition renewal.
The older generation royals celebrating alone this year.

Martha Louise and Ari Behn celebrating with the Behn family.
Joachim and Marie with Marie's family

Victoria and Daniel celebrated the Christmas with Daniel's family in Ockelbo already in 2011.

Last edited:
This year the whole royal family attends at the Advent church service at the Royal Chapel on Wednesday. On previous years the court hasn't published photos of this event.

Victoria and Estelle received the Christmas Trees to the Royal Palaces from Royal College of Forestry's student union, this is a long tradition.
The second photo is HQ, by clicking.
Kronprinsessan och Prinsessan Estelle tog emot granar - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

One of the students tells at Facebook
"At 09:15, we were let in to the Palace courtyard, in the car were seven fine trees of varying size and type. Victoria would meet us in the east of the vault where the trees would be left over. The photos taken there are unfortunately not allowed to be published on the internet but only for private use. So before Victoria came we had time to take photos and talk with Lennart who told us how it is to work as a porter at the Palace. Seems like a fun job!
When the clock struck half came Crown Princess Victoria and beside her was Estelle to our happiness. We got all greet the Crown Princess and Estelle was very pleased with her little princess tree that we brought to her. The meeting went fast but it was a very cool experience, both to meet Victoria and Estelle. But even to get into the Palace. This is something we all who were there will remember for a long time!"
https://www.facebook.com/skogenisko...4266249585749/916359358376432/?type=1&theater

Estelles julgranslycka ”Hon var väldigt glad” Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that Victoria takes Estelle with her.

Looks like the palace staff had a Christmas Lunch today.
Instagram

The lunch for the court staff is traditionally after the Advent church service. According to the swedish press the seating order will always be drawn at the beginning of the lunch. No one knows before where they will sit and anyone could get to sit beside the king, queen, Victoria, Daniel...

Last edited:
Love that Victoria takes Estelle with her

Victoria is teaching by example how to be a lady as a person and as a royal.

Lovely! However, I am disappointed that Estelle is sporting her mother's severe hair style.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Estelle has a bubbling personality and I like their original and not at all stiff way of approaching the media!

How lovely that we can see their home, looks very cozy and Swedish with the grey tones. Victoria and Estelle with touches of red looks perfect. She is adorable and they are doting parents. I wish for a sibling for her.

Her lovely little face is the perfect blend of both CP and PD. Precious child.

Back
Top Bottom