The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events Part 21: December 2010 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a lame excuse ... it was clear the the King wouldnt be fit because of the knee surgery for weeks, its not that he broke his leg overnight or something.

If the rest of the family had other plans so what? Fact is if JC wanted other SRF members there, they would have gone, even last minute, they are used to change their schedule and Albert would have accommodated his. But he doesnt want any SRF members there, and the reason is not the knee surgery or Hillary Clinton visiting :whistling:

Juan Carlos is not a despot and neither a dictator. Whether he wanted to attend and couldn't or changed his mind, he has no power or right to dictate adult members of his family to change their plans.

It is a wedding for crying out loud. Not a matter of State.

Juan Carlos is not a despot and neither a dictator. Whether he wanted to attend and couldn't or changed his mind, he has no power or right to dictate adult members of his family to change their plans.

JC is boss, the rest of the family will accomodate to what he wants.

And it may be only a wedding, but it is the wedding of a fellow royal Head of State.

That is a lame excuse ... it was clear the the King wouldnt be fit because of the knee surgery for weeks, its not that he broke his leg overnight or something.

If the rest of the family had other plans so what? Fact is if JC wanted other SRF members there, they would have gone, even last minute, they are used to change their schedule and Albert would have accommodated his. But he doesnt want any SRF members there, and the reason is not the knee surgery or Hillary Clinton visiting :whistling:

I agree Duke its a lame excuse & seeing as they've had all week to come up with a credible excuse this one is pathetic.

The entire Royal Family are 'too busy' to attend a Royal Wedding? I honestly cannot fathom was is going on at Zarzuela of late but its very bizzare.I hope we get to see loads of photos of 'how busy' they are over the weekend (which I doubt) .When was the last act the Infanta Cristina performed,I think it was in May?

The Infanta & Duke could easily have filled in or the Infanta Pilar & her daughter if they were really stuck!

The King knew for weeks that he would more than likely not be attending due to his surgery & are we expected to believe that Hillary Clinton just rang up during the week & just arranged this visit.No it was arranged weeks ago .

It will look very bad for the Spanish Royal Family not to have anyone at the Princely wedding,but I doubt the Palace cares :sad:

And it may be only a wedding, but it is the wedding of a fellow royal Head of State.

Exactly,but maybe he thinks the Borbóns are too good to attend a mere Princely Wedding :whistling:

Its the Wedding of a Head of State & a member of the 'Royal Club',also the godson of Queen Ena,but if thats not enough to warrant the attendance of a member of the SRF then I don't what does!

Last edited by a moderator:

I think JC is less boss that many people think. Sofia has been doing what she wants for many years.

I think it's possible he does a quick, short trip at the last minute, what it's obvious is that the Asturias family is not going. Prince Felipe has is sailing in honour to his navy instructor and that one is an act dear to his heart.

Not attending is rude & narrow minded.

Los desplantes de los Borbones a la familia Grimaldi

When F&L got married in 2004, not only Albert attended but also Caroline & EA (who got so drunk the night before that he missed the church wedding).

How always your Vanitatis' source has mistakes. Princess Caroline did not went to the Spanish wedding as representative of Monaco, went because she was married with a Hannover.

How always your Vanitatis' source has mistakes. Princess Caroline did not went to the Spanish wedding as representative of Monaco, went because she was married with a Hannover.

Caroline is not mentioned in the article, only Albert. I mentioned her ... so one less mistake for Vanitatis ;)

And speaking about Hannover ... Queen Sofia does not go, and what is stranger not Constantine of Greece none of his children appear in the list of guests.

I wouldn't be quoting Vaniatis. If we are speaking of rude, disgusting and plain awful, those are the adjectives that can apply to this website. They're the true exponent of yellow press - when they don't know what to write, they invent it.

Probably the best and most accurate post in the thread :lol:

JC obviously received the invitation a while ago (wouldn't make sense that it was received last minute) and knee when received that he couldn't make it because of his surgery, he could've right away made plans for other family members. If Felipe has an event, fine with that but what about Elena or Chrsitina?

Juan Carlos has been waiting until the last moment to see if he could attend, he only called Albert yesterday to cancel.
Like lula said, telling yesterday that instead of a King, according to the dossier published by Monaco, the third most important guest at the wedding, an infanta(for example) would attend, it's upsetting all their organization at the last moment, and can't be done. I hardly think JC meant for the wedding to be without SRF presence and he in fact meant to go himself, to his fellow Head of State wedding.

JC obviously received the invitation a while ago (wouldn't make sense that it was received last minute) and knee when received that he couldn't make it because of his surgery, he could've right away made plans for other family members. If Felipe has an event, fine with that but what about Elena or Chrsitina?

Juan Carlos received the invitation long before he knew he needed the surgery. He meant to attend the wedding as Albert is another Head of State. The operation was a month ago, it was not unreasonable to expect he could attend just the wedding mass, and they were waiting until the last moment to see if he could go(the fact that he appears among the guests dossier provided by Monaco proves that he meant to attend and that all the "informations" of Felipe and Letizia going to the wedding were "made up" from the beginning)

And speaking about Hannover ... Queen Sofia does not go, and what is stranger not Constantine of Greece none of his children appear in the list of guests.

Very interesting idea lula, I'd noticed there were no Greeks in the guest list, but hadn't seen the connection with Hannover.

Juan Carlos has been waiting until the last moment to see if he could attend, he only called Albert yesterday to cancel.
Like lula said, telling yesterday that instead of a King, according to the dossier published by Monaco, the third most important guest at the wedding, an infanta(for example) would attend, it's upsetting all their organization at the last moment, and can't be done. I hardly think JC meant for the wedding to be without SRF presence and he in fact meant to go himself, to his fellow Head of State wedding.

Which was frankly very rude of him!

The King got his invitation sometime ago,he knew that he was going to have an operation & also knew that Hillary Clinton was coming to Spain,but he waits until the last minute to cancel?

If the King had wanted a Spanish presence he easily could have let it be known that he was sending someone else in his place & announced it last week like all the other Reigning Houses.The British Queen is sending her youngest son & his wife but I'm sure the British Invitation was for Her Majesty The Queen.

The Palace can dress it up as they wish but bad manners is bad manners at the end of the day!!

Its not the first time that the King manages to get himself covered but it reflects badly on other members.

That makes perfect sense to me,Spain will be the only Royal house with no one at the wedding!

Even the Portuguese Pretender & his wife will be there,but the Spanish RF are all 'too busy' :whistling:

Which was frankly very rude of him!

The King got his invitation sometime ago,he knew that he was going to have an operation & also knew that Hillary Clinton was coming to Spain,but he waits until the last minute to cancel?

If the King had wanted a Spanish presence he easily could have let it be known that he was sending someone else in his place & announced it last week like all the other Reigning Houses.The British Queen is sending her youngest son & his wife but I'm sure the British Invitation was for Her Majesty The Queen.

The Palace can dress it up as they wish but bad manners is bad manners at the end of the day!!

The King received his invitation a year ago, at that time the SRF had no idea he would need knee surgery. Being Albert a reigning Prince he decides to attend the wedding and the rest of the family made their own plans.
A year later, the King needs knee surgery, but has confirmed his attendance and still wants to go, as according to their protocol, Albert is his equal and deserves his presence. He has a month to recover and waits until the last moment to see if he can travel to Monaco. Just the day before the civil wedding his doctors and JC admit he can't go and call Albert.
It was an unexpected situation the reason of his non attendance, JC meant to go until the last moment, accidents happen.

Its not the first time that the King manages to get himself covered but it reflects badly on other members.

Indeed,fair enough if the King can't go & Felipe is off sailing but what are the following members doing tomorrow that's so urgent?

The Infanta Elena
The Duke & Duchess of Palma
The Infanta Pilar
The Duke & Duchess of Soria
The Infante Carlos

The King couldn't have sent any of the above in his place?

The King received his invitation a year ago, at that time the SRF had no idea he would need knee surgery. Being Albert a reigning Prince he decides to attend the wedding and the rest of the family made their own plans.
A year later, the King needs knee surgery, but has confirmed his attendance and still wants to go, as according to their protocol, Albert is his equal and deserves his presence. He has a month to recover and waits until the last moment to see if he can travel to Monaco. Just the day before the civil wedding his doctors and JC admit he can't go and call Albert.
It was an unexpected situation the reason of his non attendance, JC meant to go until the last moment, accidents happen.

Sorry but I don't buy any of that & I doubt many do!

Sorry but I don't buy any of that & I doubt many do!

Then how do you explain that Juan Carlos appeared on the dossier of royals going to the wedding released yesterday by Monaco? And that yesterday Casa Real said JC called Albert to cancel due to knee problems?

That makes perfect sense to me,Spain will be the only Royal house with no one at the wedding!

Even the Portuguese Pretender & his wife will be there,but the Spanish RF are all 'too busy' :whistling:

And judging from many Spanish forums, many are quite happy the SRF is staying away from a wedding that has become a marketing promotion.

Then how do you explain that Juan Carlos appeared on the dossier of royals going to the wedding released yesterday by Monaco? And that yesterday Casa Real said JC called Albert to cancel due to knee problems?

I don't believe he had any intention of ever going to the wedding since his operation.

The entire story reeks of bad manners & makes the RF look bad.I hope the Palace are happy with this reflection.

I don't know anything or care about an alleged last minute phonecall from Madrid to Monaco.

Too little too late!!

And judging from many Spanish forums, many are quite happy the SRF is staying away from a wedding that has become a marketing promotion.

I don't understand Spanish so this is the only one I visit & judging by this forum the reaction is quite mixed.

I don't believe he had any intention of ever going to the wedding since his operation.

The entire story reeks of bad manners & makes the RF look bad.I hope the Palace are happy with this reflection.

I don't know anything or care about an alleged last minute phonecall from Madrid to Monaco.

Too little too late!!

The phonecall has been mentioned in this thread more than once. Yesterday, casa real announced the King couldn't attend because of his knee and called Albert who understood the problem.

Nobody from Greece, Bulgaria or Brunei appears on the royals dossier.

Last edited:

Nobody disputes that, but why doesnt the King send a representative like so many other dignitaries?

"Hey Al, it's JC speaking, sorry but my knee is still bad and my family has other things to do" - sorry I don't buy that the whole issue is that easy.

The phonecall has been mentioned in this thread more than once. Yesterday, casa real announced the King couldn't attend because of his knee and called Albert who understood the problem.

Nobody from Greece, Bulgaria or Brunei appears on the royals dossier.

We will just have to agree to disagree I guess,its nothing personal just a difference of opinions.

I don't really care if the King finally bothered to call Prince Albert II it won't change my opinion.

Ok no one from Spain & Brunei,Greece & Bulgaria are former-Monarchies.

Still a pity that there won't be a Spanish Presence.

For some reason I think ALbert wasn't as disappointed as some of you are... lol

Nobody disputes that, but why doesnt the King send a representative like so many other dignitaries?

"Hey Al, it's JC speaking, sorry but my knee is still bad and my family has other things to do" - sorry I don't buy that the whole issue is that easy.

It's probably worse sending a substitute yesterday. If until yesterday Monaco was preparing everything for the King of Spain, and today they send an infante(or even a Prince) everything has to change. In a wedding with so many guests, organization and protocol it would probably be a huge mess.

We will just have to agree to disagree I guess,its nothing personal just a difference of opinions.

I don't really care if the King finally bothered to call Prince Albert II it won't change my opinion.

Ok no one from Spain & Brunei,Greece & Bulgaria are former-Monarchies.

Still a pity that there won't be a Spanish Presence.

We'll just have to :flowers: I've said everything I wanted on this topic, I'll try for this to be my last post on this :lol:

We'll just have to :flowers: I've said everything I wanted on this topic, I'll try for this to be my last post on this :lol:

Ireland & Spain are historic allies so we won't fall out over a Princely Wedding Invite :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom