The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events Part 20: July 2008 - December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are the gala photos? I'd like to see Letizia in any different tiara since the big decepcion I had at Victoria's wedding.

Where are the gala photos? I'd like to see Letizia in any different tiara since the big decepcion I had at Victoria's wedding.

The pictures are posted. There was no big gala with tiaras and long dresses. It seemed more of a low key/private dinner if not mistaken.

Nice seeing Asma in Spain. She looks nice and it seems that Queen Sofia & Asma are pretty close or have a close friendship. How long are they in Spain? Are there any activities for her?

What kind of visit is this, Private, official, working?

All three ladies look fabulous! I love Letizia and Asma's dresses, nice bold colors but still simple and elegant.

What kind of visit is this, Private, official, working?

Its an official visit, tiaras etc are only in connection with State Visits.
AFP: Syrian leader visits Spain

During official visits, there are usual lunch or dinner either at Zarzuela Palace (as in this case) with evening suit dress code or at the Royal Palace where the women wear long dresses. It will be a decision of the protocol department.

Yesterday, in the first place only the Kings were annouced to attend but in the end the Princes were around, too. A valid excuse not to go to Wimbledon and cheer for Nadal.

Queen Sofia is the only person in the family who always, always looks welcoming and professionally friendly. The King didnt look in the mood, Felipe is just tall and Letizia looks so stiff and uncomfortable at such events.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2010/PPE10070458.jpg
Must be fun to be a member of the SRF
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2010/PPE10070459.jpg

Thanks for the photos!
It is nice to see President Al-Assad and Mrs. Al-Assad visiting Spain. His Majesty King Juan Carlos appeared to age a lot.

Queen Sofia is the only person in the family who always, always looks welcoming and professionally friendly. The King didnt look in the mood, Felipe is just tall and Letizia looks so stiff and uncomfortable at such events.
I have to say that your observations are accurate.

During official visits, there are usual lunch or dinner either at Zarzuela Palace (as in this case) with evening suit dress code or at the Royal Palace where the women wear long dresses. It will be a decision of the protocol department.

Yesterday, in the first place only the Kings were annouced to attend but in the end the Princes were around, too. A valid excuse not to go to Wimbledon and cheer for Nadal.

Any interaction between the King and Letizia always appears forced. Sad.

The 3 ladies looked very elegant. And the whole atmosphere seemed to be rather warm, just like when the JRF visits them.:) I'm looking forward to a dinner and to more formal attires.;)

Duke, It all depends upon what narrative/story you have chosen. If you have chosen the narrative of Letizia being stiff, King not talking to her etc, you can find pics like you have posted above.
If you have chosen a narrative of how Letizia is doing well in her role and her relationship is with the King is good, you can post pics where King is seen guiding Letizia up the stairs, his arm on her her back, her hand on his arm. http://www.profimedia.cz/image/detail/0076451603
Večeře s prezidentem Syrské arabské republiky, pan Bashar Al-Assad a paní Asma Al-Assad fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0076451606
http://noticias.terra.es/2010/mundo...-asad-y-a-su-esposa-asma-al-asad-04$599x0.jpg

If you want to show that Letizia seems to have a good relationship with the Syrian couple, was very welcoming, you can post pics such as this:
Večeře s prezidentem Syrské arabské republiky, pan Bashar Al-Assad a paní Asma Al-Assad fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0076451604
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I personally do not know which version is true (King not liking Letizia,Letizia being unconfortable in her role etc) but neither does anyone in the general public. If you do have credible datapoints, rather than picking a few pics ignoring others to fit in one preferred narrative, I would love to read /to see it.

Duke, It all depends upon what narrative/story you have chosen. If you have chosen the narrative of Letizia being stiff, King not talking to her etc, you can find pics like you have posted above.
If you have chosen a narrative of how Letizia is doing well in her role and her relationship is with the King is good, you can post pics where King is seen guiding Letizia up the stairs, his arm on her her back, her hand on his arm. http://www.profimedia.cz/image/detail/0076451603
VečeÅ™e s prezidentem Syrské arabské republiky, pan Bashar Al-Assad a panÃ* Asma Al-Assad fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0076451606
http://noticias.terra.es/2010/mundo...-asad-y-a-su-esposa-asma-al-asad-04$599x0.jpg

If you want to show that Letizia seems to have a good relationship with the Syrian couple, was very welcoming, you can post pics such as this:
VečeÅ™e s prezidentem Syrské arabské republiky, pan Bashar Al-Assad a panÃ* Asma Al-Assad fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0076451604

I personally do not know which version is true (King not liking Letizia,Letizia being unconfortable in her role etc) but neither does anyone in the general public. If you do have credible datapoints, rather than picking a few pics ignoring others to fit in one preferred narrative, I would love to read /to see it.

Excellent post, jjkg.

VečeÅ™e s prezidentem Syrské arabské republiky, pan Bashar Al-Assad a panÃ* Asma Al-Assad fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0076451606

VečeÅ™e s prezidentem Syrské arabské republiky, pan Bashar Al-Assad a panÃ* Asma Al-Assad fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0076451604

I totally agree , someone seems always choose what story she likes, attack person she personnaly dislike but doesn't make any sense.

Felipe had a military act this morning replacing his father, he might not be able to make it back in time (really depends on the flight schedules from London to Madrid) if he had gone to Wimbledon.

That would be a good point, except the pictures you posted certainly don't show any warmth between the two:flowers: Yes, he's "helping her up the stairs," but he doesn't look at Letizia. The two aren't making any eye contact in any of these pictures. The thing is it doesn't seem to be just picking a "few pics and ignoring others." Where are the other pics to begin with that show a good relationship between Letizia and the King? This isn't an attack on Letizia! If there is any blame perhaps it should be with the King. This is the woman his son chose, they are now married with two beautiful little girls, get over it:) Follow the Queen's example.

But the pictures certainly didn't show a bad/cold relation between JC and Letizia as some wanted to claim all the time. As long as in-laws 'co-exist' in a respectful way, that's good enough for most families including the royals'.

I believe that was the first time Felipe and Letizia met the Syrian first couple in public, they probably didn't know them well like old friends, plus the real hosts were the King and Queen, so Felipe and Letizia were more staying at the background.

But the pictures certainly didn't show a bad/cold relation between JC and Letizia as some wanted to claim all the time. As long as in-laws 'co-exist' in a respectful way, that's good enough for most families including the royals'.

I believe that was the first time Felipe and Letizia met the Syrian first couple in public, they probably didn't know them well like old friends, plus the real hosts were the King and Queen, so Felipe and Letizia were more staying at the background.

Exactly! :flowers: It is one thing to state that they appear to not the best of friends, relationship is formal, but another to keep propagandize the narrative that King does not like Letizia. Every time the family is together, this narrative is picked up and and attempt is made to reinforce it. It is not until someone finally pushes back that nuance comes into the equation (just like the conversation we are having right now). If I look back, I rarely see the King warm to any of his family members (except maybe his daughters sometimes)...not his wife, not his son--in-laws, daughter-in-laws, all granddaughters etc. He appears to be a "old school" type of a guy. As long as he is showing the crown prince couple the ropes for the job, giving them opportunities to rise and shine, all should be well. And he has been doing so.

Same with Letizia being stiff narrative. The underlying message from day one of this narrative is that she is ill-suited for the job, cannot mingle with the leaders of the world etc. Selectively picking a few pics from the "greeting ceremony" for the Syrian couple is yet another example of reinforcing a chosen narrative at the expense of the complete view.

This doesnot mean I am blindly on Letizia side (check PS below ). But I would like to see some respect for the intellect of other forum members and not have propaganda pushed on us continuously.

Members like Duke do a lot for the forum. They are constantly on top of all activities that the RF is engaged in, post the latest pictures, news etc. I am immensely grateful. But every now and then, over the top Leti-bashing does get to me sometimes.

PS: For example, I hate the botox work Letizia has had done on her face. Am truly disappointed in her! She has lost her originality and is yet another plastic face, heading fast the Queen Rania route. I am also curious to know whether she has mastered English (important for her future role), whether she has truly mastered her role as future queen etc.

Why do people always claim the relationship between JC and Letizia is worse only based on photos? This is indeed not fair and to make a conclusion without any support is just ridiculous. If someone must find a story based on photos, why don't find a beautiful one?

Interpretation is always subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thankfully on this board this is possible in a civilised manner. If people see different things in pictures, they are free to say so.

All I said in my post was

I didn’t say anything about the relation between Letizia and the King (btw, there would be a separate thread for this topic), Letizia’s suitability for her job and wouldn’t consider my wording as “bashing” - but as I can see now, my post is being interpreted in different ways, people read into it what they want to see.

That's fine with me – and only shows how subjective interpretation actually is :flowers:

After the pictures, I can say what I saw: everybody is very professional -The Spanish Royal Family wellcomes the President of Syria and his wife.
Except the King who appears a little inconfortable (he wasn' filling well????) the rest of them are just like they have to be. All the rest are speculations.
From the pictures of King and Letizia: they are polite and respectful (like me and my father-in-law and like many other people).

Exactly! :flowers: It is one thing to state that they appear to not the best of friends, relationship is formal, but another to keep propagandize the narrative that King does not like Letizia. Every time the family is together, this narrative is picked up and and attempt is made to reinforce it. It is not until someone finally pushes back that nuance comes into the equation (just like the conversation we are having right now). If I look back, I rarely see the King warm to any of his family members (except maybe his daughters sometimes)...not his wife, not his son--in-laws, daughter-in-laws, all granddaughters etc. He appears to be a "old school" type of a guy. As long as he is showing the crown prince couple the ropes for the job, giving them opportunities to rise and shine, all should be well. And he has been doing so.

Same with Letizia being stiff narrative. The underlying message from day one of this narrative is that she is ill-suited for the job, cannot mingle with the leaders of the world etc. Selectively picking a few pics from the "greeting ceremony" for the Syrian couple is yet another example of reinforcing a chosen narrative at the expense of the complete view.

This doesnot mean I am blindly on Letizia side (check PS below ). But I would like to see some respect for the intellect of other forum members and not have propaganda pushed on us continuously.

Members like Duke do a lot for the forum. They are constantly on top of all activities that the RF is engaged in, post the latest pictures, news etc. I am immensely grateful. But every now and then, over the top Leti-bashing does get to me sometimes.

PS: For example, I hate the botox work Letizia has had done on her face. Am truly disappointed in her! She has lost her originality and is yet another plastic face, heading fast the Queen Rania route. I am also curious to know whether she has mastered English (important for her future role), whether she has truly mastered her role as future queen etc.

I made a comment on the relationship between the King and Letizia, but I certainly don't see that as over the top Leti-bashing, as you put it. Your comment, " But I would like to see some respect for the intellect of other forum members and not have propaganda pushed on us continuously," is a little puzzling to me. How is posing one's opinions not showing respect for another's intellect, as you put it? These forums are made up of opinions, after all. I certainly don't see any of the posts as pushing propaganda. :flowers:

Has the annual ABC journalist award gala already happened, its usually around this time of the year? Last year the Kings attended but I havent seen any announcement for this year.

King, Queen, Prince and Princess of Asturias have congratulated to the Spanish Alberto Contador (Astana), who has obtained his third Tour of France this Sunday, with telegrams sent to the cyclist of Madrid.

Sus Majestades los Reyes de España felicitan a Contador por su victoria. europapress.es

I just finished watching the Tour and the awards ceremony. They interviewed Contador and asked him about famous people who had congratulated him, he said the King's congratulations was a very special one. Later, the reporter was talking to the camera while Contador was speaking on the phone, he said his PR team have just told him it was a call from: "His Majesty the Prince of Asturias" :bang:
I hate it when journalists confuse HM and HRH.

My favorite member of the spanish royal family is the queen she always looks welcoming and friendly. Sofia seems to have the so called common touch. I think that she is a great consort.

And I agree that we cannot judge what relations between the spanish royals are like based on pictures. We simply dont know how they get along behind closed doors. Yes in pictures and videos there seems to be little or no closeness between letizia and the king but having said that im often disappointed by how cold the king seems with the queen in public and often find myself wondering about their relationship. (to me even queen elizabeth II and prince philip seem to have a warmer relationship in public than the spanish king and queen and thats huge given the reserve of the queen of the uk). So people shouldnt read so much into pictures.

There are many things I dont like about letizia, I think that personal attacks should not be made on letizia, except to say that it is undeniable that she at times seems uncomfortable in her role. I do hope that as the years go by and more responsibility falls on her shoulders she will grow into her role. By contrast to other crown princesses she definitely seems like a duck out of water sometimes and the fact that she goes or is allowed to go on few public engagements on her own perhaps is a sign regarding that.
I hope that she will become more comfortable because so far I dont think she really is.

Thanks lula! It's so rare to see Letizia with the Infantas' kids. What a treat!

I guess this is PR in its best form! about time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom