The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events Part 17: October - December 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Leonor thanks for the pics!

Spain's Royal Family is always there for the Spanish people; that is the most important thing about this terribly sad day. It is heartbreaking to watch the video and see how difficult these moments are for the family of the Guard. As for the comment about Princess Letizia, I watched the video carefully and I noticed that she waited for the moment between when the casket had already been placed on the stands and the wreaths were being brought, to reach for her sunglasses. (I saw it al El Mundo Emotivo y solemne último adiós al guardia civil asesinado por ETA | elmundo.es videos).

I cannot believe what I have seen. Letizia searching carefully in the purse, giving the back, foreign to everything and to his(its) air while they were depositing the wreaths and the solemn music was sounding, and while her husband and her fathers-in-law were in position of road surfaces. If I do not see it I do not believe it. And now already they can start a heap of fans' club, which will go out, to defending the indefensible thing with arguments that they are not believed not. The evidence of which this woman is not even, she is interested in being prepared for the rol that it she must recover is every time major

Yeah, it was terrible. The queen would never do something like that because everybody knows she is perfect. To me the Queen should have waited a little before to put on her sunglasses.

But hey, Can we focus on what is important and forget this terrible incident?

I neither have spoken about anything terribly, even I nor have mentioned the incidental word, you say it. I simply have emphasized a detail of lack of respect and to be able to be of Letizia, improperly of a Princess, nothing more. The fact is there, however much the whole fans' club gets up in weapon. Nobody has said that should be something terribly, simply it is a lack of education. Ado. And I sit it, already that I can argue against Leti in this forum is arming a revolution, but is what exists.

Some commentaries seem to me to be enough out of place an occasion like that. Some should notice more before criticizing the Princess, because was precisely the Queen the first one that looked in her purse for the sunglasses (certainly her purse fell to the soil).

Really the critique for the critique, is disagreeable enough. It would be more constructive to speak about the presence of the Royal Family in this act and about their support to the family, to the Guardia Civil and to the victims of the terrorism.

On the other hand, if they have emphasized some attitude today in the news of the television, it has been that of the Princess precisely for her support to the relatives and for affectionate that she was with the mother and the brother of the deceased.

Article and photos
LOS REYES Y LOS PRÍNCIPES DE ASTURIAS PRESIDEN EL FUNERAL POR EL GUARDIA CIVIL

Galerías de imágenes

Last edited:
Last edited:
It always seems to me that the SRF has to attend too many tragic events like these. Yet it's wonderful to see them be at one with their people, they certainly do not shy away from empathising and comforting the grieving families.

It's very nice to see the SRF being affectionate and supportive of their people. On the other hand, it's quite terrible to see again these kind of images and what they represent.
Regarding the Letizia/sunglasses issue...IMHO, we shouldn't criticise a single fact without looking into its context. I believe she behaved in a warm and sober manner throughout the event (I'm not a fan, I'm just trying to be fair...that's all).

Thanks for posting all the pics and videos.

Last edited:
What did the officer die from, why was it a state funeral?

Civil guard Raúl Centeno was killed by ETA in a terrorist attack in Capbreton (south of France). He was taking part of a watchout operation against ETA in that location.
Another Spanish Civil guard, who took part in the same operation, was gravely hurt.

Last edited:
acdc1 said:

Raul Centeno, officer of the Civil Guard, was killed on duty, during an operation against suspected members of the Basque Separatist group ETA

Julia G-R

To Marenostrum: I disagree with you. I think Letizia conducted herself as what she is "La Princesa de Asturias" and putting on sunglasses is not a mortal sin. She embraced the family members with warmth, specially the mother of the slain officer. She was dignified at all times.
To all the membersLThis is the first time I write but I must say I enjoy all of your comments. Thank you to all the members who are always posting the pictures.
Julia (Cubana en los Estados Unidos)

Yeah, it was terrible. The queen would never do something like that because everybody knows she is perfect. To me the Queen should have waited a little before to put on her sunglasses.

But hey, Can we focus on what is important and forget this terrible incident?

LOL :lol:. The Queen was seen with her sunglasses on too. She must have taken it out of her purse since there is no lady-in-waiting carrying the purse and handing the sunglasses over to her.
I don't understand why this particular Sofia's fan always felt the need to put down Letizia in order to rasie the status of her favorites. Nobody here denies that Sofia is a great queen.

I'm so sorry for Raul's family :cry:
this madness should come to an end, they cannot go on and kill our people just because we don't agree with them
I'm mostly a republican myself, but ETA is a disgrace to our country and no freedom should be gained this way:neutral:

To Raul's family: this is for you:

Cuando la pena nos alcanza,
del compañero perdido.
Cuando el adiós dolorido,
busca en la fe su esperanza.
En tu palabra confiamos
con la certeza que Tú
ya le has devuelto a la vida,
ya le has llevado a la luz.
Ya le has devuelto a la vida,
ya le has llevado a la luz.

(La Muerte no es el final,
Cesáreo Gabaráin Azurmendi/Tomás Asiaín)

The SRF makes a statement by going to funerals but I believe that just the presence of the Kings or the Princes would have been enough, not all of them; I wouldn't have wanted to be seen crying all over the TV, but that's only me

That is the least important thing of this event though, all that matters is that ETA collected another life in their oh-so-important path to freedom, they are a disgrace for Spain and a shame for us all pacific republicans

Last edited:
LOL :lol:. The Queen was seen with her sunglasses on too. She must have taken it out of her purse since there is no lady-in-waiting carrying the purse and handing the sunglasses over to her.

I don't like sunglasses on both ladies since IMO it looks inappropriate for the occasion (distant) but since Queen Sofia does it it must be ok :rolleyes:. Looks tacky somehow. I mean the men always do without glasses so why are the women not able to do the same? I can't recall any event as such (or eg National Day) where the King or Felipe were seen in sunglasses.

THe Kings and the Princes of Asturias attends the Spanish Civil Guard's Rul Centeno's funeral ceremony at the Spanish Civil Guard headquarters in Madrid, Spain, 02 December 2007. Centeno, 24, was shot dead and his comrade Fernando Trapero was seriously injured 01 December 2007 in Cap-Breton, some 60 km from Bayona (France) as they had worked in a anti-terrorist vigilance operation in cooperation with French police. Apparently both Spanish policemen were recognized by three ETA terrorist band's members as they had breakfast in a coffe shop in Capbreton (France).

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6945/downloadpicturepreview1fx9.png
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9576/downloadpicturepreview1eo5.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7213/downloadpicturepreview1vg2.png
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9281/downloadpicturepreview1zx3.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9602/downloadpicturepreview4hj5.jpg
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8475/downloadpicturepreview5qh2.png

Last edited:
What a sad day for the SRF & the families of those who died, I admire them for being so close to the people/families on such days. Thank you for the pictures

I don't like sunglasses on both ladies since IMO it looks inappropriate for the occasion (distant) but since Queen Sofia does it it must be ok :rolleyes:. Looks tacky somehow. I mean the men always do without glasses so why are the women not able to do the same? I can't recall any event as such (or eg National Day) where the King or Felipe were seen in sunglasses.

has it ever occured to anyone that it might just be too bright for the naked eyes, seeing that this is a daytime event, and that they are uncomfortable with it? i can't believe everybody's picking on the women wearing sunglasses like it's the biggest mistake in the whole world. come on you guys, there are more serious topics here.

The men are wearing hats with brims that block the sun, the women are not. I think it is unfair to criticize.:neutral:

D. Marie said:
The men are wearing hats with brims that block the sun, the women are not. I think it is unfair to criticize.:neutral:

You're right D. Marie!, it is OBVIOUS why men don't wear sunglasses.

It's no critizism, just an observation. I can't recall Jaime or Inaki, who don't wear hats with brims, wearing sunglasses on the National Day :) For some reason only the ladies wear glasses, Queen, Letizia & Infantas.

What´s wrong about the Queen and Letizia wearing sunglassses?The Spanish Royal Family are always present be it in festivities or sad events like this. I thought they were very sympathetic to the families of the victims.
I live in a Republican country, but I am a Monarchist. When there was the worst ever plane accident here in Brasil, our President didn´t even show himself and only commented about it some days after. That is Shameful.

Personally I think the sunglasses "issue" is being blown out of all proportion, one only need look at this photo to see Sofia and Letizia are not the only figures wearing sunglasses.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/78208389.jpg

I don't see anybody on this thread criticising the nun on the far right of this picture!

It is being blown incredibly out of proportion!:eek: The sun's glare can be very dangerous! NOTHING wrong with wearing sunglasses to protect the eyes! Someone was killed by a terrorist and yet people are picking on the Queen and the Princess because they wore sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun's rays??!!!! Wrong priorities here, IMO.

Last edited:
I cannot believe the one that I am reading...a man has been assassinated, the kings and the princes are with their family and this is the important thing. CClear that to make critics harmful always it is time, even taking advantage of a misfortune. The behavior of the princess like always, unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom