The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía, News Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have there been any other primary or secondary schools which have enrolled (future) monarchs from two separate countries within a single generation? It seems like quite the distinction for the school.

Future Monarchs from the same generation? Probably Eton and Harrow, internationally maybe Le Rosey. I think Knig Hussein of Jordan and Feisal of Iraq were at Harrow at the same time. And the Emir of Qatar was there was well.

Plenty of schools have had various royals from different countries attend at one time or another, but this one is certainly going to be looked at very closely now.

Won't be surprised if Felipe and Letizia had talked about this with Philippe and Mathilde :lol:.

Elisabeth had grown a lot after she came back from Wales, more mature, more confident. It probably would be a great experience for Leonor too:flowers:.

That also makes me wonder, would UWC Atlantic College, at the end, have all three young generation heiresses as their alumni? W-A studied there too, so is it possible that C-A will studied there someday too?

I don’t ever doubt The other parents of Heirs and Heiresses talk and get advice and compare( in their heads of course) and want their children to be just as mature and prepared as the Others And The Duchess of Brabant has really set the bar high.

Spanish Royal Family is closely linked to the Spanish Committee of United World Colleges. Infante Carlos was the president for many years and now Alberto Aza, former head of the Royal House, is. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía, and now King Felipe and Queen Letizia are honorary presidents of the organization.

The school of Wales was founded by the German educator Kurt Hanh, who founded the school of Schloss Salem, the German boarding school where Queen Sofia studied. King Felipe studied in Lakefield College School, a Canadian school belonging to the Round Square organization, which is also based on the educational theories of Hanh. Constantine of Greece and the Duke of Edinburgh are also linked to the schools of Hanh, and several members of the British Royal Family attended a Scottish school founded by him.

Its certainly a huge PR boost for UWC Atlantic College to have 2 future queens on the Academic records.

Princess Leonor will study at UWC Atlantic College in Wales where she studied and the Princess Elisabeth of Belgium

"Their Majesties the Kings announce that Her Royal Highness the Princess of Asturias will study the International Baccalaureate program of the United World Colleges (UWC) educational institution at the UWC Atlantic College in Wales, United Kingdom.
Princess Leonor has undergone the entire selection process required by the Fundación Comité Español de los Colegios del Mundo Unido (UWC Spain), which consists of an initial pre-selection phase, developed anonymously by each candidate, and a phase final, carried out electronically with different tests.
The academic program is developed in two years (2021-2022 and 2022-2023) and includes both science and literature subjects."

https://www.casareal.es/ES/AreaPrensa/Paginas/area_prensa_comunicados_interior.aspx?data=115

Further information from the Casa Real press release about the cost of the program (British English programme?) which will be paid for, if I understood it correctly, from the King's annual grant (in other word, with taxpayers' money). Maybe King Felipe is not wealthy enough to pay it with his own private funds.

El coste del bachillerato internacional que cursará la Princesa de Asturias será satisfecho en su integridad personalmente por Sus Majestades los Reyes con su asignación anual y asciende a la cantidad de 67.000 libras esterlinas.

The school of Wales was founded by the German educator Kurt Hanh, who founded the school of Schloss Salem, the German boarding school where Queen Sofia studied. King Felipe studied in Lakefield College School, a Canadian school belonging to the Round Square organization, which is also based on the educational theories of Hanh. Constantine of Greece and the Duke of Edinburgh are also linked to the schools of Hanh, and several members of the British Royal Family attended a Scottish school founded by him.

Yes indeed it's based on Hahn's theory, he had an interesting life. He was a great influence on the Duke of Edinburgh's life through Gordonstoun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Hahn

Yes indeed it's based on Hahn's theory, he had an interesting life. He was a great influence on the Duke of Edinburgh's life through Gordonstoun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Hahn

I don't know much about him, but Hahn's depiction in The Crown was pretty scary to me. I hope Atlantic College is very different from Gordonstoun, which looks like a horrible place for children. But again, as I said, I don't know much about it really.

Interesting choice for Leonor - I'm sure Sofia will miss having her sister while Leonor is a border in Wales.

I wonder will she return for events like the Princess of Asturias awards and National Day etc

Interesting choice for Leonor - I'm sure Sofia will miss having her sister while Leonor is a border in Wales.

I wonder will she return for events like the Princess of Asturias awards and National Day etc

I believe she will be present at these and other events whenever studies allow.

Won't be surprised if Felipe and Letizia had talked about this with Philippe and Mathilde :lol:.

Elisabeth had grown a lot after she came back from Wales, more mature, more confident. It probably would be a great experience for Leonor too:flowers:.

That also makes me wonder, would UWC Atlantic College, at the end, have all three young generation heiresses as their alumni? W-A studied there too, so is it possible that C-A will studied there someday too?

Amalia is in her final class of high school (specifically the classical preparation for university studies - so the highest level within the Dutch system), so she won't be studying at UWC.

Last edited:
Further information from the Casa Real press release about the cost of the program (British English programme?) which will be paid for, if I understood it correctly, from the King's annual grant (in other word, with taxpayers' money). Maybe King Felipe is not wealthy enough to pay it with his own private funds.

Within the budget of the Royal House, there is money that is for the House of the King, and a personal salary for each member of the Royal Family. That money is their salary, they pay taxes for it like any citizen and can do with it whatever they want.

Spanish Royal Family does not have a great fortune ... so the money that Felipe may have will come from a small inheritance and from that salary.

According to the statement...

"Princess of Asturias will make this period of her education compatible with the progressive development of her institutional commitments in Spain"

So yes, she will travel to Spain for the most important activities. Being in Wales, and not in Canada how her father was, it will be easier to return to Spain.

I don't know much about him, but Hahn's depiction in The Crown was pretty scary to me. I hope Atlantic College is very different from Gordonstoun, which looks like a horrible place for children. But again, as I said, I don't know much about it really.

I haven't seen that season of the Crown so I can't comment on that but they go for whatever is the most dramatic and interesting rather than real life. But I think Gordonstoun, Schule Schloss Salem and all the UWC schools which have similar principles are great for those they suit (Prince Philip, Zara, Peter etc) and terrible for those that they don't - Prince Charles by absolutely all accounts. Plenty of high profile people still send their children to them.

Leonor presumably had a lot more say in her 6th Form than Charles ever did and boarding school in general has changed a lot since the 60s.

Last edited:
The Hahn schools have been and still are high profile, all of them, my niece is at Salem and my sister in law went to Luisenlund, they are elite schools with a high educational standard. We all know that Prince Philip is a no-nonsense person and he thrived at Gordonstoun, he went to Hahn schools in the 1930s, almost everything has changed since then. The Crown is a drama series, and therefore they had to present Gordonstoun in a certain light to highlight the personality of Prince Philip.

I am pretty sure that Felipe won't have his parents pick up the bill for the school, this could backfire as we all know :whistling:

Atlantic College is becoming a magnet for Crown Princes/Princesses. First, Willem Alexander, then Elisabeth of Belgium, and now Leonor. Quite impressive !

Princess Raiyah also studied there.

a good move for Leonor, I think she will benefit for some time away from home to be more mature and confident. wonder if they'll do the same with her sister in due course.

sounds like she will arrive at UWC for the 2021-2022 course so hopefully the COVID pandemic will be more controlled at that time for her to travel.

Ohh! Nice news, Leonor will study where Elisabeth of Belgium studied last year. However, it seems that Elisabeth only stayed there for one year, while Leonor will stay for 2 academic years.

I think it is a very nice opportunity for Leonor. She will be away from the pressures in Spain, and will be with other teenagers from all over the world. I think we will see a "different" Leonor after completing those two years at UWC (more confident, mature).

Of course we will see her at the main events in Spain. Wales is not far from Spain. There are direct flights (a flight from Madrid to Cardiff might be around 2h and half). So, it will be pretty quick for her to come to Spain for a day or two to attend a significant event.

Last edited:
Is anyone going to accompany her There you think?

Just to help with any paperwork, get situated, ETC. Most 15 year olds aren’t going to go overseas completely solo.

Is anyone going to accompany her There you think?

Surely the Princess of Asturias will be accompanied by security guards. She is the future Queen of Spain, and so, like other members of the Royal Family, she is always accompanied by security guards from the royal guard.

Ohh! Nice news, Leonor will study where Elisabeth of Belgium studied last year. However, it seems that Elisabeth only stayed there for one year, while Leonor will stay for 2 academic years.
Time flies; but Elisabeth also went for 2 years (2018-2020). Her final year was cut short by the Covid pandemic but I assume they found away to finish their program by distance education - like all other schools also had to do.

I think it is a very nice opportunity for Leonor. She will be away from the pressures in Spain, and will be with other teenagers from all over the world. I think we will see a "different" Leonor after completing those two years at UWC (more confident, mature).

Of course we will see her at the main events in Spain. Wales is not far from Spain. There are direct flights (a flight from Madrid to Cardiff might be around 2h and half). So, it will be pretty quick for her to come to Spain for a day or two to attend a significant event.
I agree that it will be a very good way for her to establish some independence. Her upbringing seems very sheltered, so this would be a great environment to find out who she really is.

And if Covid doesn't make traveling problematic, she can indeed relatively easily fly back to Spain - but hopefully they will only let her come back if her school work permits; otherwise she will still be treated differently, with certain privileges that other students don't have...

Many teens going to school overseas for the first time are accompanied by parents, other relatives, friends of the family or even by people hired to be temporary guardians by their parents. Or in the case of some, by their permanent staff. Boarding school isn't really a pack them on the train/plane and pick then up the same way at the end of term situation any more.

In Leonor's case I would imagine at least one of her parents would want to make the trip with her for at least the first time or if necessary, someone they trust. She won't have to do it alone. Plus whatever security arrangements are deemed necessary.

Just to help with any paperwork, get situated, ETC. Most 15 year olds aren’t going to go overseas completely solo.

I assume, if the pandemic permits, that her parents will drop her off (like Elisabeth's parents did in 2018; and count Claus-Casimir's mother in September of this year when he went to Gordonstoun - and I assume most of the other parents sending their child to boarding school abroad for the first time). She surely doesn't need to worry about paper work - and will be almost 16 when starting at UWC.

It seems that Atlantic College's Welsh school is the English speaking school of choice for young heirs these days - I wonder if Princess Elisabeth of Belgium will give Leonor some tips! I'm not surprised by this move as Infanta Elena sent her daughter Victoria to a British school in Ascot IIRC.

Unlikely I know It’s nice to think Elisabeth is texting or chatting on line giving her peer the low down... this teacher is so tough, the potatoes are good but the veg is gross, Some pretty cute guys here LOL and so on :)

King Willem-Alexander once noted that the Atlantic College was very formative for him. To be away was important in his adolescent years: "I loved my parents. And my parents loved me. But together we did not love each other anymore".

After his period in Wales, a changed and matured Willem-Alexander re-connected with his parents and enrolled into military service. It was probably a mix of Beatrix' perfectionism, Claus' profound seriousness and Willem-Alexander's adolescent antics which made Atlantic College the solution to reset and re-connect with each other.

I am sure Leonor, Elisabeth and Willem-Alexander will have a special bond as alumni!

Picture: Felipe visiting WA at Huis ten Bosch. Would they have discussed Atlantic College as an option for Leonor? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGg8M4SWwAEpXkz.jpg

Last edited:
The school has published the principal's statement about Princess Leonor joined the school, but apparently it got several unhappy reactions from the school community, implicating that the school has started to boast more on its PR existence rather than purely living up to its mission. Its post about being on Tatler School Guide a while back also got similar reaction.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLH1kBoD0-T/

Also the director of UWC Spain National Committee has given a very comprehensive detail to the media on what exactly UWC is and how the selection process to attend a UWC school is held in Spain.

https://www.niusdiario.es/sociedad/...nos-becados-infanta-leonor_18_3089370099.html

I honestly would much prefer a royal to attend a United World College rather than another exclusive international boarding schools where at least 90% of the families are more than able to pay its 33.500 pound/year fees (schools like Eton and Marlborough charged even more). The school really emphasized on gathering people from different backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, to learn to live and work with each other. Hence why they really rely on giving scholarships to around 75% of its student body. Once Leonor arrived, she will live with a lot of people who are very different than what she usually meet (especially given to her background attending a private school before) and may encounter some friends who have a very contrast opinion about a monarchy; the way Leonor and her future friends will handle these differences between them and remain a strong team regardless will make her an even stronger and compassionate heir, eventually Queen in the future.

We definitely saw and heard King Willem-Alexander and Princess Elisabeth's transformation after attending the institution especially in their confidence. I am certain that we will watch the same thing happen in Leonor for the next two years!

Great oppurtunity for Leonor. I am sure she will grow a lot in 2 years :flowers:

It would be great if her and Elisabeth were able to talk by email and Elisabeth could give her some tips. Its not too crazy a thought. The families know each other well enough anyways and who better to give her some idea. Even royals have email addresses.

While boarding school may not be for everyone, I think studying abroad is a great idea for royals. Especially those who will be monarch. It gives them a chance to go to school where they are just another student. Even if not a full year or two but a semester, a chance for them to be just another student. No matter how 'normal' they are meant to be treated in school, at home they are still the future monarch of their classmates. Going away gives them a chance to have a more regular school feeling. Associate with others on the same level.

If not during normal schooling, I think it a good idea at least in college that the royals spend some time abroad. And not just during a gap year.

Leonor is close to her parents and that is great, but this will also give her a bit of a sense of independence. And maybe some more confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom