The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía, News Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kings prepare a family celebration for the birthday of the Princess of Asturias that will be a private act. Zarzuela has no plans to distribute a gallery of photographs of Leonor on the occasion of her tenth anniversary.
Los reyes preparan una celebración familiar por el cumpleaños de la princesa de Asturias

Its really poor that casareal doesnt publish a photo on the occasion of Leonor's 10th birthday since she doesn't even have a recent picture on the website, its over 2 years old.

Nobody is asking for pictures from the actual birthday party but I don't get what is so bad about a portait a la Christian of Denmark to remember the occasion of her 10th birthday. Even the Dutch with their strict media code give pictures, even from private occasions, from time to time. Leonor is Princess of Asturias now, there is no harm in building relations between her and the public by publishing photos apart from the few parents-controlled-choreographed outings they have during the year.

Well, at some point Leonor will be older and can't be hidden away any longer, the press will go crazy about her anyway.

I agree. Leonor is the Princess of Asturias. As a matter of fact, there should be a protocol. Both Leonor and Sofia should have their pictures taken and given to the press on their birthdays. They are the RFS.

I hope the Royal House to publish at least one official photo of Leonor. They are 10 years and must be new photos.

This was a huge surprise because people were waiting for pics.

But Bekia is all about gossip, they (and other magazines) tell the news in a determinate way to create unnecessary confusion, now the people will believe he gives Leonor a gold chain because she want it or something when in history the master of the order, the King, gave this order to the heir when he was an infant, Felipe was an exception, Juan Carlos received his when he was 2 or 3 years old. Actually Leonor is the fourth woman to receive this order and the first one as heir.

Nice coat of arms ! If Catalonia leaves Spain and becomes a republic though, as it is the announced intention of the current Catalan government, will the arms of the kingdom of Aragon be removed ? And if the Basque Country also left following Catalan independence, would the arms of Navarre be scrapped too?

No other European royal heir has such an uncertain future as the young Princess of Asturias; Elisabeth of Belgium is probably a distant second, but is still in a far more comfortable position than her fifth (?) cousin.

Last edited:
Aragon was much more than Catalonia and Navarra is not the Basque Country. Most of what's now the Basque Country was actually part of the Kingdom of Castile. ;)

So they give the highest order in Spain to Leonor on the occasion of her 10th birthday, with a strong symbolic meaning that she is the future queen, but at the same time they refuse a picture because her 10th birthday is a private occasion.

Perhaps it's the princess who doesn't want to have her photo taken?

Perhaps it's the princess who doesn't want to have her photo taken?

It's something that I thought too. As girls get older, and Leonor is almost a pre-teen, they begin to feel self-conscious, and don't want to be photographed. If that is the case, I'm glad her parents respected her wishes. This girl will be photographed all her adult life, and won't always have a say in the matter. There's no reason to force her in front of the cameras more than necessary when she's a child/teenager.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

On such an occasion a picture should've been released IMO, doesn't matter how old the child/person is. Anyways, It's nice for her to receive the order.

It's ridiculous to have such an important occasion as the order and the only picture of the future queen of Spain on the website is not only 2 years old but shows a girl in a summer dress cut and paste out of a photo shoot with her parents and sister.

i wish they would have taken some nice official pictures to mark the occasion. leonor is now the heir and has been so for quite some months now, and receiving the highest order of spain is not an anodyne event. the official picture on the website looks old and unprofessional in my opinion to have as the picture of the heir to the throne. the spanish court should take note of the recent pictures released of elisabeth of belgium, in her same position and of her similar age, which look professional and appropriate.

Aragon was much more than Catalonia and Navarra is not the Basque Country. Most of what's now the Basque Country was actually part of the Kingdom of Castile. ;)

Still, the coat of arms of the Basque Country contains the arms of the Kingdom of Navarre and the coat of arms of Catalonia contains the arms of Aragon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_Country_%28greater_region%29#/media/File:Euskal_Herriko_armarria.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia#/media/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_Catalonia.svg

Needless to say, the King of Spain uses both arms claiming sovereignty over both ancient kingdoms (in addition to Castile, León and Granada).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_...edia/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg

Princess Leonor has publicly appeared in the National Day 19 days ago, probably they think that an official photo now contributes little, she has not grown in those days.

Spanish royal house does not change the official photos often. They have only renovated the military photos of Felipe, and because the law requires his photo on military installations. The other photos are from 2010.

Princess Leonor has publicly appeared in the National Day 19 days ago, probably they think that an official photo now contributes little, she has not grown in those days.

Spanish royal house does not change the official photos often. They have only renovated the military photos of Felipe, and because the law requires his photo on military installations. The other photos are from 2010.

I don't see any need for official birthday pictures. As mentioned above, Her Royal Highness attended the National Day Parade recently and will make another public appearance shortly wheb she is awarded the collar of the order of the Golden Fleece.

some fun anecdotes of leonor published today:

1. when she was born Felipe did not appear before reporters until morning. he joked that more than toast with champagne, they should have breakfast chocolate with churros. The leaks that circulated pointed it was a difficult birth and not without risk.

2. an angioma at the left of her nose worried Letizia so much that, to avoid slander, the doctor who supervised the girl had to park his car in a street where he was picked up a car with tinted windows to avoid being identified.

3. she is daddy's girl. Felipe once attended a party of his intimates, the Fuster, and spent the evening showing his photo that he carried in his wallet. A doting father, who when with his daughters calls Letizia "mom"

4. when before the press to introduce a newborn Sofia, born on April 28, 2007, Leonor, 18 months, was the star as she took a microphone and babbled. her parents have avoided any comparisons with Sofia to not make sofia jealous. When they shooted the first official photo of Don Juan Carlos, Don Felipe and Leonor for the website of the Royal House, the shoot was also repeated with Sofia was repeated, but the image remained for the family album.

5. sofia has a passion for sister Leonor, who pursued her when she was a baby crawling and shouting "Léolo, Léolo". leonor even once warned sofia: "Sofia, antioxidants have to eat, because they are very good for health" causing the amazement of a scientist.

6. Letizia is strict with their education because she wants to prevent their children from becoming spoiled. When she is absent, she likes leaving them in the care of Paloma Rocasolano who, following their guidelines of "normality", takes the girls on the bus covered with caps to go unnoticed.

7. when arethey're going to bow? leonor asked one day. letizia prefers them to have a childhood living apart from their condition and takes them to her friends house where leonor once asked for a mop to clean the floor.

8. NO FOTOS: Letizia is obsessed with privacy and protects her daughters as a lioness, preventing people from taking photos that end up on Facebook or Twitter. Holy Week in 2014, they went skiing in the Alps and in the flight they coincided with South American tourists, traveling with their son. The father wanted to make a souvenir photo with Leonor and Sofia, but Letizia refused, saying she feared circulated through social networks, but promised to send a signed photo, with a stamp from Zarzuela.

9. Leonor is a student at Santa Maria Rosales. Doña Letizia, to supervise their studies, has meetings once a month with her tutor at Zarzuela, emphasizing that Leonor should make presentations in class to get used to speaking in public.

10. Leonor sometimes questions "when will I give a speech?", But her parents now prefer to keep her out of institutional life.

Las 10 curiosidades de la Princesa Leonor en su décimo cumpleaños | loc | EL MUNDO

So they give the highest order in Spain to Leonor on the occasion of her 10th birthday, with a strong symbolic meaning that she is the future queen, but at the same time they refuse a picture because her 10th birthday is a private occasion.

It does not make any sense!

It's ridiculous to have such an important occasion as the order and the only picture of the future queen of Spain on the website is not only 2 years old but shows a girl in a summer dress cut and paste out of a photo shoot with her parents and sister.

Perhaps we'll get a new photo when Leonor is presented with the Golden Fleece at the ceremony's date.

What an awesome birthday gift and a lovely gesture from Felipe. However, as ANNIE_S has said, Leonor is probably too young to fully appreciate the order and might prefer an iPad instead! :D I was curious when it was announced Leonor would receive the order now, because I thought that the general age to officially start receiving orders was 18.

I don't see any need for official birthday pictures. As mentioned above, Her Royal Highness attended the National Day Parade recently and will make another public appearance shortly wheb she is awarded the collar of the order of the Golden Fleece.

I was a little disappointed that there were no photos of Leonor, though you have raised a good point.

Perhaps we'll get a new photo when Leonor is presented with the Golden Fleece at the ceremony's date.

I believe that will happen when Doña Leonor has reached the age of consent. Like the use of the coat-of-arms and the personal standard, this will only have effect when she starts her own independent activities, separated from her parents. After all, as long as she is with her father, the car in which she drives will have the King's personal standard and not hers. As long as she does not issue her own personal correspondence, the arms above the cards from Zarzuela will not have her arms depicted.

Last edited:
When was Felipe handed over the collar. Already when it was given to him in 1981 or was it later?

On 30 January 1981, his 18th birthday, see picture.
His 18th birthday was 5 years later in 1986. As far as i know on that occasion a ceremony in the Cortes took place where he made an oath on the constitution. But when was the Ceremony when him the Order of the golden Fleece was handed over. He was granted it in 1981 but my question was if it was also handed over to him in that year or later

Last edited:
His 18th birthday was 5 years later in 1986. As far as i know on that occasion a cweremony in teh Cortes took place where he made an oath on the constitutuion. But when was the Ceremony when him the Order of the golden Fleece was handed over. He was granted it in 1981 but my question was if it was also handed over to him in that year or later

I think it was granted & handed over in 1981 (in the picture Felipe looks 13 not 18) but Felipe's situation within the institution was different than Leonor's situation today. Things might have been more urgent to make a point back then.

Legal age in Spain is 18 years, at that age Prince Felipe swore the Constitution and during the ceremony he wore the Order of the Golden Fleece. That was his first official state event and the first time he wore the decoration that he had since 1981. Before 18, he did not participate in events where he had to wear the decoration.

http://www.congreso.es/docu/PHist/docs/09cons/DP.0919.jpg

After swearing the Constitution, the decoration he received was the Collar of the Order of Carlos III, the highest Spanish civilian honor.

http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...les/espanola/1986/2/0-42-727/2005-11-22-a.jpg

She can use the coat of arms in the car of the National Day parade, because she does not travel with her father.

Last edited:
His 18th birthday was 5 years later in 1986. As far as i know on that occasion a cweremony in teh Cortes took place where he made an oath on the constitutuion. But when was the Ceremony when him the Order of the golden Fleece was handed over. He was granted it in 1981 but my question was if it was also handed over to him in that year or later

You're right, he was 18 when he was sworn in as Prince of Asturias in the Parliament (the photo is from that event). There wasn't a public ceremony when King Felipe was 13 and received the Golden Fleece, there are no public photos or videos.

I believe that will happen when Doña Leonor has reached the age of consent. Like the use of the coat-of-arms and the personal standard, this will only have effect when she starts her own independent activities, separated from her parents. After all, as long as she is with her father, the car in which she drives will have the King's personal standard and not hers. As long as she does not issue her own personal correspondence, the arms above the cards from Zarzuela will not have her arms depicted.

The Princess of Asturias and her sister ride in a different car from their parents in official events bearing her personal standard. It's been like this since she became Princess of Asturias on June 2014.

A screen caption of the moment both cars arrived this October at the Parade marking National Day. First there's the King and Queen's car with Felipe VI's standard, and after with the blue standard of the Princess of Asturias their daughters.

http://i.imgur.com/eS5oLbn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom