The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 02-11-2021, 05:37 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Great oppurtunity for Leonor. I am sure she will grow a lot in 2 years

It would be great if her and Elisabeth were able to talk by email and Elisabeth could give her some tips. Its not too crazy a thought. The families know each other well enough anyways and who better to give her some idea. Even royals have email addresses.


While boarding school may not be for everyone, I think studying abroad is a great idea for royals. Especially those who will be monarch. It gives them a chance to go to school where they are just another student. Even if not a full year or two but a semester, a chance for them to be just another student. No matter how 'normal' they are meant to be treated in school, at home they are still the future monarch of their classmates. Going away gives them a chance to have a more regular school feeling. Associate with others on the same level.


If not during normal schooling, I think it a good idea at least in college that the royals spend some time abroad. And not just during a gap year.


Leonor is close to her parents and that is great, but this will also give her a bit of a sense of independence. And maybe some more confidence.
I think she follows the steps of her father, plain and simple. Felipe went to Canada for the university preparation, back then it was only a year but now it's two years. After that, she'll study in Spain and abroad, law, economics, international affairs, probably doing her Master at a foreign university. And then of course, the military training and stints in government, security, defence.
This is where Leonor's and Sofias's paths will start to differ dramatically, one being prepped for Head of State, the other one to make her own living at some point, with more freedom of choice.
__________________

  #362  
Old 02-11-2021, 06:10 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Great oppurtunity for Leonor. I am sure she will grow a lot in 2 years

It would be great if her and Elisabeth were able to talk by email and Elisabeth could give her some tips. Its not too crazy a thought. The families know each other well enough anyways and who better to give her some idea. Even royals have email addresses.


While boarding school may not be for everyone, I think studying abroad is a great idea for royals. Especially those who will be monarch. It gives them a chance to go to school where they are just another student. Even if not a full year or two but a semester, a chance for them to be just another student. No matter how 'normal' they are meant to be treated in school, at home they are still the future monarch of their classmates. Going away gives them a chance to have a more regular school feeling. Associate with others on the same level.


If not during normal schooling, I think it a good idea at least in college that the royals spend some time abroad. And not just during a gap year.


Leonor is close to her parents and that is great, but this will also give her a bit of a sense of independence. And maybe some more confidence.

I have one doubt though. Leonor is still 15 and will only turn 16 at the end of October, right? If I understand it correctly, she will graduate from the IB program at the age of 17 then. Doesn't that make her younger than the normal sixth-form student in England and Wales, who is typically 18 by graduation day?

Maybe I am missing something about the Spanish and British systems of secondary education.
__________________

  #363  
Old 02-11-2021, 06:42 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 161
I think for Leonor in particular, because there is so much pressure on the monarchy (& therefore also her) in Spain, as well as her grandfather's scandals, this will be such a great experience. She will have the opportunity to have more freedom and truly get to know herself.

And just in general, a school of students coming together from such a vast amount of different countries, seems first of all fascinating, but also perfect for an heir to the throne. Because while being a future monarch will always be a unique situation, if all the students come from different countries, experiences and cultures, it's probably the most normal an heir could feel at school, because literally everyone will have different stories to tell. A great setting to have some regular teenage experiences and develop into adulthood!

I'll be interested to see whether Sofia will also attend boarding school in the future - whether this one or another.
  #364  
Old 02-11-2021, 06:51 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lalala, Spain
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I have one doubt though. Leonor is still 15 and will only turn 16 at the end of October, right? If I understand it correctly, she will graduate from the IB program at the age of 17 then. Doesn't that make her younger than the normal sixth-form student in England and Wales, who is typically 18 by graduation day?

Maybe I am missing something about the Spanish and British systems of secondary education.


In Spain children start the academic year according the year they're born. Everyone born in 2005 started school together while in other countries the custom is that only those born in the academic year start together and those born later in the year start next year.
  #365  
Old 02-11-2021, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
That also makes me wonder, would UWC Atlantic College, at the end, have all three young generation heiresses as their alumni?
There are five young generation heiresses (in Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden).
  #366  
Old 02-11-2021, 07:31 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
In Spain children start the academic year according the year they're born. Everyone born in 2005 started school together while in other countries the custom is that only those born in the academic year start together and those born later in the year start next year.
Same in the Netherlands. Previously, those in September and some from October would join their (older) classmates. Nowadays, many born in November and December also move on (the princess of Orange is an example of that new policy) - for those children an individual decision is made when they are about to start 3rd grade (first class of primary education).
  #367  
Old 02-11-2021, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,193
Boarding school, and especially this sort of non-traditional boarding school, aren't for everyone, but presumably it's something that appeals to Leonor. People do seem to do very well there, and I think it's good for royal teenagers, especially heirs, to have some time away from their own countries and the pressure of their positions.
  #368  
Old 02-11-2021, 12:22 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,650
Leonor and Sofía have already spent time away from home, in another country and with people of other nationalities. During the summers of 2018 and 2019, they spent a month camping in the United States. So for Leonor it will not be a completely unknown experience.
  #369  
Old 02-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 5,763
Peter T. Howe, in a letter written to Tatler in which he talks about the arrival and experience of the Princess of Asturias.

"We are delighted the princess is joining us. As a student entering UWC Atlantic she will be one of a wonderful group of vibrant young people living and learning together. We hope very much she enjoys her time in Wales and have little doubt she will thrive as a member of our amazing community."
https://www.tatler.com/article/princ...llege-in-wales
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
  #370  
Old 02-11-2021, 03:26 PM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 8,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Just to help with any paperwork, get situated, ETC. Most 15 year olds aren’t going to go overseas completely solo.
i am thinking possibly letizia will go with her. even if they have security going with her, i am sure her mum wants to be there a few days to make sure she is settled.
__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
https://www.humanesociety.org
  #371  
Old 02-11-2021, 03:39 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 5,763

Security guards will go with her, for sure. But I believe that Letizia (and maybe Felipe) will accompany her when she moves out and will be able to spend a weekend with her there, for example.
Queen Sofia accompanied Felipe on the trip when he moved to Canada to study.
Obviously, Felipe and Letizia cannot spend much time with Leonor in Wales.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
  #372  
Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
They are fortunate in they likely have more flexibility in their schedules then most parents sending their kids off to school.

Quote:
I have one doubt though. Leonor is still 15 and will only turn 16 at the end of October, right? If I understand it correctly, she will graduate from the IB program at the age of 17 then. Doesn't that make her younger than the normal sixth-form student in England and Wales, who is typically 18 by graduation day?

Maybe I am missing something about the Spanish and British systems of secondary education.
Really she is only a handful of months (as little as 2 from some) from the British students who will be there. And other foreign students, may not be 16 until after the start of the year as well. Spain will be one of a number where they just have to be 16 by the end of the year.

I have no doubt she won't be alone in being the only one not yet 16.

Quote:
Leonor and Sofía have already spent time away from home, in another country and with people of other nationalities. During the summers of 2018 and 2019, they spent a month camping in the United States. So for Leonor it will not be a completely unknown experience.

Indeed she has had a taste of being away out of the country.


Summer camp for a month, and with her sister, is still a bit different. But at least it gave her a taste for experience with kids from other countries and cultures. Being away at school, without her sister or anyone, for several months at a time will still be an adjustment. But a good one.
  #373  
Old 02-11-2021, 10:30 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,750
I think this will be a great opportunity for Leonor to come into her own. She seems like a somewhat timid girl who’s had a very sheltered upbringing. It will do her good to be able to have a little independence, develop close relationships with kids from different backgrounds, and spend some time abroad.

The window for Leonor to be able to live anywhere other than Spain is narrow - she gets these two years and then probably another couple of years during her post secondary education. I don’t know if a 15 year old can be expected to grasp how quickly this period of relative freedom will pass, but I hope she does get it on some level and makes a point of really enjoying this time.
  #374  
Old 02-12-2021, 12:08 AM
W.Y.CII's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
There are five young generation heiresses (in Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden).
I know, and my bad I'm talking about these first in line.
__________________
Bad money drives out good.
  #375  
Old 02-12-2021, 03:44 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
I'll be interested to see whether Sofia will also attend boarding school in the future - whether this one or another.
Yes indeed, it's possible that Sofia's way will be the other way around, finish school in Spain and then study abroad.
  #376  
Old 02-12-2021, 07:01 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Peter T. Howe, in a letter written to Tatler in which he talks about the arrival and experience of the Princess of Asturias.

"We are delighted the princess is joining us. As a student entering UWC Atlantic she will be one of a wonderful group of vibrant young people living and learning together. We hope very much she enjoys her time in Wales and have little doubt she will thrive as a member of our amazing community."
https://www.tatler.com/article/princ...llege-in-wales

It is disappointing that Atlantic College referred to HRH The Princess of Asturias as "HRH Princess Leonor of Asturias", which would be equivalent to referring to Prince Charles (HRH The Prince of Wales) as "HRH Prince Charles of Wales". Even though it was probably an honest mistake, a supposedly elite college should know better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think this will be a great opportunity for Leonor to come into her own. She seems like a somewhat timid girl who’s had a very sheltered upbringing. It will do her good to be able to have a little independence, develop close relationships with kids from different backgrounds, and spend some time abroad.

The window for Leonor to be able to live anywhere other than Spain is narrow - she gets these two years and then probably another couple of years during her post secondary education. I don’t know if a 15 year old can be expected to grasp how quickly this period of relative freedom will pass, but I hope she does get it on some level and makes a point of really enjoying this time.

I hope she does well there, but I think it will be a big cultural shock. Atlantic College looks very different from the private Catholic school Leonor was attending in Spain and life in Wales is miles apart from life in Spain. On top of that, Leonor will be younger on average than her classmates and, in terms of personality, she doesn't look very well-cut for boarding school and what it entails, especially for teenagers.



Just a feeling. I hope I am wrong. I am confident she will do fine academically in any case as she looks very smart and hard-working.
  #377  
Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is disappointing that Atlantic College referred to HRH The Princess of Asturias as "HRH Princess Leonor of Asturias", which would be equivalent to referring to Prince Charles (HRH The Prince of Wales) as "HRH Prince Charles of Wales". Even though it was probably an honest mistake, a supposedly elite college should know better.
I wonder if that is because Leonor is, from their point of view, a member of a foreign royal family and therefore informing their readers takes precedence over using the normal forms of address of the foreign royal house of which she is a member. It could be similar to how foreign royal watchers choose to refer to "Prince Alexander of Sweden" or "Archduchess Anna Astrid of Austria-Este", even knowing that those are not their correct styles in Sweden or Belgium respectively.
  #378  
Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,569
We don't know who initiated this move, perhaps it was the princess herself.
  #379  
Old 02-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wonder if that is because Leonor is, from their point of view, a member of a foreign royal family and therefore informing their readers takes precedence over using the normal forms of address of the foreign royal house of which she is a member. It could be similar to how foreign royal watchers choose to refer to "Prince Alexander of Sweden" or "Archduchess Anna Astrid of Austria-Este", even knowing that those are not their correct styles in Sweden or Belgium respectively.
However, if the goal was to inform their readers. Wouldn't the title 'HRH Princess Leonor of Spain' be much more informative? I don't think all readers will be aware that Asturias is a Spanish region; and even less so that someone called princess of Asturias will be a princess (more specifically the heir) of the royal house of Spain?!
  #380  
Old 02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wonder if that is because Leonor is, from their point of view, a member of a foreign royal family and therefore informing their readers takes precedence over using the normal forms of address of the foreign royal house of which she is a member. It could be similar to how foreign royal watchers choose to refer to "Prince Alexander of Sweden" or "Archduchess Anna Astrid of Austria-Este", even knowing that those are not their correct styles in Sweden or Belgium respectively.
I suspect it's just a mistake. It wasn't the college that mis wrote her name, it was the Tatler writer Tori Cadogan. Tatler should also know better but there you are.

We've seen that even Royal Courts that should know better getting foreign (to them) titles mixed up. Most places in the UK get "HRH The Prince of Wales" right but I've seen articles talking about "Prince Charles of Wales" before now or even Charles, Prince of Wales. To say nothing of the confusion about "Duchess Kate Middleton" or Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex" for example where SEO seems to be the most important thing.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
infanta leonor, infanta sofia, princess of asturias


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 5: December 2010 - June 2014 dazzling Current Events Archive 310 06-21-2014 04:47 AM
Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 4: June 2008 - December 2010 LadyK Current Events Archive 397 12-25-2010 07:50 AM
Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 3: November 2007 - June 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 190 06-18-2008 07:24 PM
Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 2: June 2007 - November 2007 Anna_R Current Events Archive 187 11-29-2007 10:30 AM
Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 1: April - July 2007 Anna_R Current Events Archive 269 07-03-2007 12:57 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes american baby names biography britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla parker bowles canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii elizabeth ii emperor family life family tree fashion and style general news thread george vi gradenigo hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg hypothetical monarchs jewellery jewelry kensington palace king willem-alexander list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark maxima mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise resusci anne royal court royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress solomon j solomon spain stuart thailand thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×