Princess Letizia's Family, News Part 4: February 2008 - May 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To this day I really don't understand why the paps are so obsessed with her.

^Because she's the sibling of a famous person.That's IT..that's why they follow Ali Lohan and Monica Cruz.

^Because she's the sibling of a famous person.That's IT..that's why they follow Ali Lohan and Monica Cruz.

The difference, Pixilated, is that both Monica Cruz (she's been a dancer and actress for years) and Ali Lohan (the reality show and her singing career) have their own celebrity now (which no doubt was influenced by their sister's success).

I don't know what it is about Telma that attracts the press so much except for the facts that she is gorgeous and we (the public) have maintained an interest in her (eg. this thread).

They are both actresses / models, different to Telma.

Telma Ortiz empieza su trabajo en Barcelona

The media continues to stalk her because she tried to annoy them in her over-the-top courtcase that she lost - pictures mean good money since people are interested in everything that has to do with Letizia.

But instead of leading the quiet life eg as Paloma Telma opted for a job with Barcelona city council that was newly created to suit her what is bound to cause controversy or polemic.

New positions crop up all the time in local and national government, there's nothing odd or controversial about that.

They are both actresses / models, different to Telma.

Telma Ortiz empieza su trabajo en Barcelona

The media continues to stalk her because she tried to annoy them in her over-the-top courtcase that she lost - pictures mean good money since people are interested in everything that has to do with Letizia.

But instead of leading the quiet life eg as Paloma Telma opted for a job with Barcelona city council that was newly created to suit her what is bound to cause controversy or polemic.

Duke ... I really have a hard time accepting your sentiment that it was Telma's attitude that is responsible for press misbehavior.

As I recall, before press suit was initiated, Telma and her partner were actively hounded - in your face type hounding. One of the pics I recall was she and her partner having cameras thrust into their faces while they were leaving some residence to go to for lunch or something. This when she was 9 months pregnant. :bang::bang: She was hounded day in, day out. What had the poor woman or her partner done to deserve this treatment? Who would have been responsible if she had fallen and caused some harm to her baby?

After her sis's wedding, Telma left the country. She did not seek press at all (unlike Leti's aunt per se). When she came back during Christmas breaks etc, she never indulged in high-profile events to sell herself.

She was a complete non-entity. What I find even more head scratching is some people (not you) using the fact that she attended her nieces christenings or posed for a pic at her father's wedding as an excuse for all the abuse that press heaped at her.

Sometimes I think there is credence to the opinion that certain elements just want to punish Letizia for not being noble and marrying the prince. IF the revenge can be taken thru her family, so be it!

Duke ... I really have a hard time accepting your sentiment that it was Telma's attitude that is responsible for press misbehavior.

As I recall, before press suit was initiated, Telma and her partner were actively hounded - in your face type hounding.

Instead of prosecuting (rightly so imo) those individuals or media outlets that did harass Telma at the time, she opted for a law suit against the Spanish media in general - trying to ban them from ever taking her picture without consent. The case was thrown out (rightly so imo) and the result is an even more hostile relationship between the sister of the future Queen of Spain (who will never be an entirely "private person" for that reason) and the Spanish media, including both "yellow" and "serious" media.

The Telma / Spanish media relations are really unprecedented, usually royal commoner siblings will be photographed every now and then but never up to the stage of stalking. The rest of Letizia's family is in the papers very rarely, including those who seem to like some attention (eg auntie Henar).

Instead of prosecuting (rightly so imo) those individuals or media outlets that did harass Telma at the time, she opted for a law suit against the Spanish media in general - trying to ban them from ever taking her picture without consent. The case was thrown out (rightly so imo) and the result is an even more hostile relationship between the sister of the future Queen of Spain (who will never be an entirely "private person" for that reason) and the Spanish media, including both "yellow" and "serious" media.

The Telma / Spanish media relations are really unprecedented, usually royal commoner siblings will be photographed every now and then but never up to the stage of stalking. The rest of Letizia's family is in the papers very rarely, including those who seem to like some attention (eg auntie Henar).

Duke...I think it is the case of "I will punish you, no matter what!"

The fact is - harassment was off the charts before the court case. Given the danger to the child and the abominable way the press treated Erika when she was alive - is it any wonder that Telma over-reacted in her suit? And even if her court case was ill-thoughtout, was her "error" so bad that she deserves to loose all sympathy from the public and deserves all the press harassment? Was there anything in her history to justify this complete loss of sympathy?

Is the public so fickle and unthinking and unfeeling? IF so, it is a witch hunt, pure and simple.

They were harassing her before and will continue harassing her and her family now. The court-case just gave an excuse to the press and Leti's detractors for justifying any & all bad behavior. IF it wasn't the court case, it would have been something else. We can bet on that.

First it was Erika and now her. Perhaps it is because they are young and very attractive. Hence make a nice copy. Combine this with the need to attack Leti ...or... use the harassment as a leverage to get something out of the princes etc.

Most disappointing is that we have a ruthless press, with a passive encouragement by some in the public.

Cheers

Excellent posts jjkg.

I too find it bizarre that people criticise Telma when she has never sought the media or limelight in any fashion.

Excellent posts jjkg.

I too find it bizarre that people criticise Telma when she has never sought the media or limelight in any fashion.

Thanks little_star.

It really bothers me how Telma has been treated. The poor woman left the country when her sister married. When she came back to start her family, she was practically run out of her OWN country. For what crime, I ask?

The press and accepting public put her and her child in danger. When she rebelled with her courtcase - she was destroyed. Her and her partner's attempt to put down roots in their own country, start a biz, build a family was all in ruins. If I recall correctly, her partner started some kind of company. But the company had to be abandoned because of press hounding.

She and her partner were literally forced into exile.

Now she has come back and accepted a job for which she is imminently qualified - there is a huge outcry again! I can bet a similar outcry if she had taken a job in private industry. People would have accused her of exploiting Leti's connections. They did it with Erika.

That is why I say, it is a witch-hunt and I blame the passively accepting public for it the most. :bang::bang:

JJkg, excellent posts. Telma's job is indeed newly created, but hardly created for her only. Her boss, the new director for the international relation was named not long ago, he hired two assistants, one of them is Telma. If Telma hadn't been hired, the new director likely would have hired someone else. If Telma had wanted to exploit her sister's royal connection, she would have gotten a job at a private company that usually pays their employees better than government, perhaps in Madrid too, close to her parents (Paloma can help her taking care of her daughter like with Erika's) and sister, not in Barcelona by herself. A few journalists are extremely petty that they just want to make a mountain out of a mole hill on everything relating to Letizia and her family. I also saw others defending Telma on TV too, saying 'she is a Spanish citizen, she has a right to work, why can't she take a job she is much qualified' ?

Again, really great points jjkg.

I think the way Telma has been treated by the press is appalling as well, epecially as she has never sought the limelight in any way.

However, where Letizia and her family are concerned there do seem to be some individuals for whom only a witch hunt would suffice imo.

I always find it amazing that people say siblings of public figures are public figures too. Or children of public figures have no privacy because they are public figures?

How so, because of the luck of the draw that they happened to be born to the same parents?

It looks like Telma can't win. She gets a job based on her qualifications and she is criticized. If she didn't work....people who criticize her by saying who does she think she is not by not working. She is not rich. Letitiza must be supporting her. And you know that is the truth.

As every knows, Letitizia is a public figure. Her sister is not.

i was watching a news talkshow today in which they talked about several issues (the global economy, unemployment, etc) and they mentioned (quite briefly because of unknown causes) the fact that thelma had a tailor-made job in barcelona.

i couldn't help thinking that she herself was the one who decided to embark in that lawsuit when she had her baby to ask for more privacy and intimacy for her and her family. i find it rather odd that she can benefit from a job created just for herself in the city she wants to settle and particularly now in such harsh economic climate (where thousands of spanish people are unemployed) because of being the princesses sister and then complain about the lack of privacy. either one or the other - you can't have both.

oddly enough, this particular job is a public job, representing the city of barcelona what requires being out and about there in the media / working with the media / being seen. i wonder how that goes with requesting the media must not take any pictures or do any coverage :wacko:. plus, her salary is paid by the taxpayer what gives people the right to have an opinion. this "career move" is as ill-conceived as her lawsuit. Telma's decision was bound to create polemic, and i am not even going down the "tailormade" issue in this difficult economic climate.

I wonder why we don't see other siblings in the media every day, Letizia's father or mother who have jobs, even some Heads of State's spouses lead a normal working life away from the limelight, no problem. Maybe that's because they play the "private citizen" card once and stick with it. You can't have both - if people don't want the limelight they should stay away but not try to dictate the media their own likings.

The press wanted revenge and now they are taking advantage. They need hearing, and justify that they continue chasing her every day. To it it is necessary to add the political utilization, because if we speak about Cataluña, always there will be some of them that will look for mess.

Works like that of Thelma there are thousands in thousands of town halls in Spain, and I do not believe that in any city or village of Spain, anybody is interested for the private life of the persons who are employed at the town hall. The work has not been created for Thelma, the town hall created a new department and this department needed personnel, so the chief of Thelma and her companions in this department are also new contracted. Another woman has been contracted in a post parallel to her.

The "journalists" speculate, say many things, are contradicted, and the reality is that they speak very much, but they know little, only they want to refill hours of television and paper in the magazines. No journalist gives confirmed information, on Thelma's curriculum, who contract to her, which is going to be her work ... all sound speculations and more speculations.

I wonder why we don't see other siblings in the media every day, Letizia's father or mother who have jobs, even some Heads of State's spouses lead a normal working life away from the limelight, no problem. Maybe that's because they play the "private citizen" card once and stick with it. You can't have both - if people don't want the limelight they should stay away but not try to dictate the media their own likings.

You meant the siblings of Jaime and Inaki ? Spanish media has never been that interested at Jaime or Inaki themselves, let alone their parents or siblings. Paloma had been stalked almost daily before Telma's lawsuit, Erika was about the same, even the day she died, there were a couple of photographers stationed outside her flat, they even went to the TV to be interviewed afterwards. Let's hope the press leaves Telma alone after things calm down a bit as they do with her mom after the lawsuit. Even the 'worst' British paparazzis knew to leave the Spencer family alone, not stalking Diana's mom or siblings for no reason.

oddly enough, this particular job is a public job, representing the city of barcelona what requires being out and about there in the media / working with the media / being seen. i wonder how that goes with requesting the media must not take any pictures or do any coverage :wacko:. plus, her salary is paid by the taxpayer what gives people the right to have an opinion. this "career move" is as ill-conceived as her lawsuit. Telma's decision was bound to create polemic, and i am not even going down the "tailormade" issue in this difficult economic climate.

1. Do all government employees get harassed? their lives put under microscope? Taxpayers fund their salaries too. A alot of them have very powerful jobs that impact lives of millions.

2a. What does the lawsuit she filed and lost have to do with her new job and pictures that would be taken of her in a professional capacity at a public event - like any other professional with a similar job?

2b. What double standards? (i.e. your comment about photograph me when I say but not when I say don't) Does this mean that anyone who is in a profession where he/she may be photographed at a public event, will lose all rights to privacy and can be hounded to death? e.g. Telma's peer (the 2nd assistant mentioned on the previous page) ...or... her boss - they would also be attending any public events they organize for city of Barcelona. Do they loose all rights to privacy too because they were photographed at a public event?

3. Can you honestly tell me that if she had taken some other job there would not have been the same harassment?

i was watching a news talkshow today in which they talked about several issues (the global economy, unemployment, etc) and they mentioned (quite briefly because of unknown causes) the fact that thelma had a tailor-made job in barcelona.

i couldn't help thinking that she herself was the one who decided to embark in that lawsuit when she had her baby to ask for more privacy and intimacy for her and her family. i find it rather odd that she can benefit from a job created just for herself in the city she wants to settle and particularly now in such harsh economic climate (where thousands of spanish people are unemployed) because of being the princesses sister and then complain about the lack of privacy. either one or the other - you can't have both.

1. So the logic goes that if others are unemployed, no one can get employment, especiallly Telma? People are loosing jobs but are we saying that ZERO new jobs are being created ...and... if she got one on her merit, she should reject it and go on unemployment?

2. Was this job was an elaborate ruse by Royal Family to get employment for Telma? What about her boss and her peer (as I understand this is a new team that was created and Telma is just one of 2 assistants). It must have been quite a coup behind the scenes to get a city government to create a whole new team, a biz agenda just for Telma.

2. IF the royal family was going to go thru so much trouble for Telma, would it not have been simpler to get her employed in private industry thru their connections (with more pay, less scrutiny and the BS'ing that goes in the press)? Wouldn't this option have been much better?

3. If she had done that, would the press still not have complained and made spurious, offensive allegations like they did with Erika?

4. What about the emotional and financial toll on her and her partner when they were HOUNDED out of Spain for no crime at all ....other than to settle in their own country and start a family? Telma had done nothing other than reaching a stage in life where she wanted to put down roots and have a family. Why was the press hounding her then?

5. Some of the very same people who are raising hue and cry now were throwing mud at Telma during her final days of pregnancy and after birth then ...complaining that she is unemployed. How is she supporting herself? How dare she be without a job? This when she had just given birth.

A sense of perspective and I will now add - HUMANITY - has been lost by certain section of media and people themselves.

My 2c on Telma getting a job in City Government (just my reading of the situation)

Did the City Government create a position for Telma ? - No

Given the accountability that is demanded of government and the press scrutiny that Telma would invite into City Government's affairs - I do not think any politician / city councilor would do that. Much easier to do that in private sector.

Did Telma come to know about this job from Leti's connections thru Cristina or Telma's own connections with Barcelona - Maybe.

Would hiring Telma be a act of culling favor from Royal family by City Government? - No
Telma comes with a lot of BAGGAGE. Hiring her must not have been an easy decision. Why? Because press is going to be watching her, her team and the related affairs of the government like a hawk. Who wants to be in such a straight jacket, have their actions examined minutely and spun, often negatively?

When the hiring committee was doing pros/cons analysis - given the heavy cons, Telma's pros (i.e. her work experience, her connections in Asia, her organizational/leadership qualities, her personality, how her view were aligned with that of her team's and the goals of the city government etc) must have been strong indeed to tilt the balance in her favor.

Another point I would like to make - it would be much easier to believe that the City Government was taking advantage of Telma's connection with Leti if she had been appointed to an area where she had little experience in, but the Spanish Royals were very popular and be known by general public. For example - Latin America.
Just having Telma on the team making calls would have opened some doors easier for the city government to make its pitch.

But the fact that she has been appointed to an area (Asia) where she has deep expertise in ...but where Spanish Royals are more of an unknown quantity, makes me believe that this hiring decision was a straight-forward hire. People found her qualified, she gelled with the team and both parties believed in the biz goal they were setting out to accomplish

It's amazing how people are so quick to assume that Telma must be inexperienced or unsuited for the position. She's spent the last few years working for an NGO in the Philippines, one of the countries this new job will be attemtping to appeal to from what I understand.

Most Government positions like the one Telma has taken in Barcelona usually require candiates to have experience of working abroad.

The press said that Telma met her new boss at a training course in Barcelona in May-June (post 175 by LadyFinn) and he offered her the job. It's a very normal job for a person with a degree in economics and more than 10 years working experience with MCS and international Corporation, the salary is nothing close to the high paying job Elena or Inaki holds now. The jealousy and whinning have truely been over the border line.
jjkg, I agree with you that it's more like Barcelona city councils wanting to take advantage of Telma. A pretty sister of Spain's future queen is a PR dream abroad.

A mid-level government job does not pay a lot of money. If Telma is taking advantage of her connection, she would have taken a high paying job in the private sector. Moreover, one has to meet minimum requirements for the position to get a government job. It seems to me she has worked in mostly non-profit organizations and she wants to stay in public service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom