Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 4: July 2005 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
princess olga said:
My guess of what the Spanish people would think of a divorced woman to become crown princess, is that it likely depends per generation. for example, die-hard catholics over the age of 65 might have to get used to the idea. While others of the generation of Letizia probably don't mind at all.

I have a friend there who works as a reporter at one of Spain's largest newspaper. This reminds me of what she always says about Spain: that it doesn't really exist. Spain is really four (4!) different countries forced to work as one nation. (ok that would be the Catalan, Basque, among others)

So perhaps these ethnic groups have their own opinions on the whole royal thing, Letizia included.

Spain is one only country for centuries and in the books of history like that it is read. It is a country divided in autonomous Communities, and some of them look for an independence that is not such, so the only thing that they want is to turn Spain into a federal country because it is convenient for them .... this has more of politics that of another thing ... how always.

As for Letizia, I will say to you that her first husband was never her teacher, though if he was a teacher in the Institute that she was studying. About what it is thought of her divorce you have reason on having said that it depends on the generations. For my that I am young it is not important, more bearing in mind that she married him after 8 years of relation ... it seems to me to be more sincere the relation stops if the things are not OK before damaging. The difference ultimately is a paper, because today in day there are many people who do life of couple without being married. Besides, it seems that he this one demonstrating a discrection and an absolute respect for her, and it is very important and demonstrates that in spite of everything they are respected.

lula said:
Spain is one only country for centuries and in the books of history like that it is read.

Ah, that's why the old adage that "history is always written by the winner" is so fitting! ;)

lula said:
It is a country divided in autonomous Communities, and some of them look for an independence that is not such, so the only thing that they want is to turn Spain into a federal country because it is convenient for them .... this has more of politics that of another thing ... how always.

But royals fit in the whole political structure: wasn't it for tactical political reasons that Juan Carlos had his daughters nuptials take place, one in the south (Valencia? Sevilla? Don't remember exactly which), and the other in Barcelona, the heart of Catalan territories?!

As for Letizia's first marriage, thanks for putting the record straight! :)

princess olga said:
But royals fit in the whole political structure: wasn't it for tactical political reasons that Juan Carlos had his daughters nuptials take place, one in the south (Valencia? Sevilla? Don't remember exactly which), and the other in Barcelona, the heart of Catalan territories?!

The Infanta Elena married in Seville, because it was a city that she liked. But especially for her grandmother and godmother, because Maria de las Mercedes had born in this city, and for her was special that one was marrying there.
The Infanta Cristina married in barcelona because she was going many years living in this city, and his husband also.
I do not believe that there was any double intention.

princess olga said:
Ah, that's why the old adage that "history is always written by the winner" is so fitting! ;)

I do not believe that they are losing of anything, really they live better than that we live in other zones of the country. That their politicians protest always has served them to have more benificios. They are territories that for centuries neither are independent, or that so at least they it have never been. The culture has been used politically. It is true that support languages that are not the Spanish; but with the exception of it his differential cultural they are the same that exist between other zones of the country. For example, Asturias and Andalusia, north and south look alike very small, but both preserve own elements of their culture .... without it means a political intention. Though probably it is because they are poorer populations.

To the people what matters for them ultimately is to live better. And the nationalistic political parties of these Communities do noise claiming always things, and the people think that like that they will live better. They are given contradictions how that departed from left sides are nationalistic. Besides, the electoral law they benefit, they are what the Communities that have this type of parties are more represented that those who do not have them and that therefore work out harmed.

It is a very complicated history. What they look is to turn Spain into a federal State, that they of the whole independence that they want to many levels, but without stopping being a part of Spain. Because they know that such and how the world works today a total independence it would not be very viable.
It is a contradiction the history and the culture is mixed, with the politics ... and they cannot separate well the things. And truths are said to the people by half. Really sometimes one wonders if really most of the population wants it, or they are the political interests those that are over everything.

I feel it for spreading so much, they are personal opinions . The certain thing is that this topic bores especially the persons that we do not live in these Communities and see how constant they are the center of all the political debates while the others we stay of side and do not deal with us. The reason, they make them more noises and the big parties of Spain need to form government.

Last edited:
...JuAnItA... said:
Sorry yesterday i was very busy so i didn't translate it... :eek:

that's ok. this board is great but we all do have lives outside of it:)

Larzen said:
Could someone please give a summary of this article
http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/arts/42028.asp

I she getting her own asistent/secretary/communications person? i put it trough the google translator and it did not come out to good...

It is an ill-disposed article, copied of other digital newspaper, the same one in which amenudo criticize Letizia. They say that Letizia has achieved that Zarzuela contracts a person to work with her. The article is written by bad intention presenting the things how Letizia's imposition, and speaking about the profile of the professional for that they look. The one who writes the article is the same "anonymous one" who always writes hardly against Letizia.

The certain thing, it is that it is an absurd article, because if one thinks it , the normal thing is that Letizia has at least a person who collaborates with her.
The Queen has an team that works with her, the Prince also has several persons and the Infantas have sercretaries that they take charge organizing the agenda. Till now Letizia was working with the team that the Prince had when he was single. If really they are looking for someone, who is not known if the news is true or not, the truth is that already it would be time. Letizia takes 1 year and a half how Princess of Asturias, and already she would be time of that she was starting doing acts only and for it she will need someone who works with her.
Also they notice that they search a lawyer of the State .... really this when it is the same profession that has the Secretary of the Prince .

The one who writes these articles always criticizes Letizia, and often it has incorrectnesses or false and manipulated news. Now already it has given a reason to the people to criticize the Princess, when there are no reasons they are looked.

If the news is true, I hope that it means that in Royal House finally has decided that Letizia can do things she alone.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
Could someone please give a summary of this article
http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/arts/42028.asp

I she getting her own asistent/secretary/communications person? i put it trough the google translator and it did not come out to good...

Doña Letizia doen't stop. In less than two years she's married a Prince, has given birth to a royal heir and is working on the creation of her own Communication Cabinet.

November, 26th 2005. After her recent maternity, the Princess of Asturias is already "heating the engines" to begina new professional venture. According to Elconfidencial.com, la Zarzuela has just agreed to her Doña Letizia's intentions of having her own Communicatio Cabinet. It won't have the same characteristics of the one for Don Felipe and she'll have her own team, for now, a single person.

For starters it is not that bad, but she's to find that person, and Doña Letizia is looking and had the profile she wants very clear: woman, young and "abogada de Estado" (the Administration best).

Anna_R said:
Doña Letizia doen't stop. In less than two years she's married a Prince, has given birth to a royal heir and is working on the creation of her own Communication Cabinet.

November, 26th 2005. After her recent maternity, the Princess of Asturias is already "heating the engines" to begina new professional venture. According to Elconfidencial.com, la Zarzuela has just agreed to her Doña Letizia's intentions of having her own Communicatio Cabinet. It won't have the same characteristics of the one for Don Felipe and she'll have her own team, for now, a single person.

For starters it is not that bad, but she's to find that person, and Doña Letizia is looking and had the profile she wants very clear: woman, young and "abogada de Estado" (the Administration best).

They have not even idea, go journalists. It is not any office of communication, the Royal House has a departamente of Relations with the Mass media. What they look is an attendee, a professional person, with good studies, which her the agenda takes charge helping to prepare, to organize the acts and these things. The Prince has for 10 years Jaime Alfonsín, who is also a lawyer.

http://www.casareal.es/casareal/home2i.html
  • Head of the Household of HM the King
  • General Secretariat, under the Second Head of the Household of HM the King and General Secretary, with the following Units:
    • [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
      [*]Office for Planning and Co-ordination, with the Dispatches Office and Activities and Programmes department
      [*]Office of HM the Queen
      [*]Office of HRH the Prince of Asturias
      [*]Security Department, with the Communications and Computer Centre
      [*]Relations with the Media
      [*]Protocol
      [*]Administration
      [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]
    [/FONT]

More information, I am not a journalist but I report better than they.:p

http://www.abc.es/especiales/index.asp?cid=12815

"Today, since it is in the habit of happening every day, Jaime Alfonsín, secretary of His Royal Highness, does business with the Princes. This lawyer of the State goes almost a decade - from November of 1995-together with Don Philip. Discreet, prudent and nice, Alfonsín has turned into the shade of the Prince since he left the office of lawywers Uría and Menéndez.
His entry in Zarzuela owes to itself precisely Aurelio Menéndez, one of the most important jurists of our country and that coordinated the university studies of the Prince between 1988 and 1993. When Don Felipe finished his career education, the House of the King consulted Menéndez on whom she would be the person adapted to be at the head of the Secretariat of the Prince and the ex-minister of Education of the government of Suárez suggested Alfonsín's name. In this meeting there treat each other all those matters that concern the internal functioning of the Secretariat of the Prince. There are checked the speeches and the documentation of every event, the pertinent reports are requested, the correspondence is answered and the possible doubts catch on.
When it finishes this office between the Princes and Alfonsín, there is another meeting to prepare official acts of the agenda of next week. To this type of meetings, more sporadic, there are in the habit of adding the chief or the secretary general of the House of the King, Alberto Aza or Ricardo Díaz-Hochleitner, respectively; the chief of Protocol, Alfonso Sanz Portolés, and the chief of Relations with the Means, Juan Gonzalez-Cebrián. The four are diplomats of career. Also there represents the person in charge of the Service of Security.

LaChicaMadrilena said:
An article from "La Vanguardia" written by MARIÁNGEL ALCÁZAR:
http://www.lavanguardia.es/web/20051127/51199476688.html
As if she hadn’t given birth hardly a month ago… Princess Letizia made her appearance at the reception that the Kings offered last Wednesday at the Royal Palace of Madrid, on the occasion of 30 anniversary of reign. Her presence at the royal reception was an exceptional act, motivated by the exceptional nature of the celebration, but Doña Letizia returned to home, after greeting the guests, and, according to a spokesman of La Zarzuela, with the permission of the King. Other way, one could not believe that the princess would upset Don Juan a Carlos, but there are occasions when Princess Letizia, in her eagerness of perfection, wants to leave the things very clear.

For that reason, she is something bothered these days, because of some news saying that the wife of the Prince is thinking about hiring a person to take care of her secretariat subjects, although that person would not be meerely a secretary. Ever since she married Don Felipe, Doña Letizia has declared on several occasions that both form a work team. Her years working in the media gave her a baggage that now hardly can be dismissed and Doña Letizia wishes to go beyond the function of support to the Prince. Her assignment is not easy, taking into account that the one of Don Felipe is not easy either, but little by little, the princess is designing her own function, within La Zarzuela. The day of her engagement, Doña Letizia assured to count on "the valuable example of the Queen", who surely has already shared her own experience.

The princess of Asturias, Letizia Ortiz, granted to the first lady of Honduras, Aguas Ocaña , one of the Shared in common Prizes of the Insurance by her humanitarian work in favor of the most unprotected sectors of Honduras. The Shared in common Prizes of the Insurance recognize the social work that Ocaña has made from its office in favor of the children, the woman and the old ones, three of the most unprotected sectors of Honduras.

The prize is organized by the Institute of Financial Superior Studies and of Insurances (Inese) of that European nation, of which the princess of Asturias, Leticia Ortiz, is the honorary president.

http://www.elheraldo.hn/detalle.php?nid=41605&sec=12&fecha=2005-11-29

fanletizia said:
The princess of Asturias, Letizia Ortiz, granted to the first lady of Honduras, Aguas Ocaña , one of the Shared in common Prizes of the Insurance by her humanitarian work in favor of the most unprotected sectors of Honduras. The Shared in common Prizes of the Insurance recognize the social work that Ocaña has made from its office in favor of the children, the woman and the old ones, three of the most unprotected sectors of Honduras.

The prize is organized by the Institute of Financial Superior Studies and of Insurances (Inese) of that European nation, of which the princess of Asturias, Leticia Ortiz, is the honorary president.

http://www.elheraldo.hn/detalle.php?nid=41605&sec=12&fecha=2005-11-29

will we see Letizia present this award on her own? probably sometime early next year?

purple_platinum said:
will we see Letizia present this award on her own? probably sometime early next year?

The prizes submitted yesterday. Not if we will be able to see her the year that comes in the same prizes or not, maybe yes. The Princes accept a lot of " Presidencies of honor " but it does not mean that they could be present in all the acts, in occasions they come,in others they receive in hearing in the Zarzuela or it remains only in something nominally.

The virtues of the Princess of Asturias. I din't met Doña Letizia and may be never I shall. I don't know if she is arrogant, authoritarian, ambicious and so on. That I can observe: in just two years she has helped her husband to be more confident and selfish. Together they worked as they do in a spectacular way. One proof, the tremendous and faboulous nomber of photos tooken at each time that Letizia and Felipe assist an officiel act (twice and more than the others Crownprinces ) We can denie the attractive and charismatic effect of the couple ( I don't speak about Leonor, it's a royal and contractual "obligation" isen'it !!!) I think that Doña Letizia needs a lot of cool blod and stoïcism in front an old fashioned and snobish journalist ( for whom in French you have the trivial expression " cracher dans la soupe" ) among others supidities and lies.

What a difference, two princess, two headlines: The one who doesn't move without the husband and doesn't have an agenda, doesn't talk, dosen't give interviews, doesn't preside any charity or ONG's, as usual, making silly news about her clothes or shops that no one cares about, the press have nothing else on her because she doesn't do anything else besides being two steps behind the husband.
Oh but the other one, is not so glamourous because have had two girls and have gain in some pounds, but always smiling, happy, making headlines about her not so fancy travels, by herself, without the husband, going to where the poorest are, representing her new adoption country with dignity, being usefull, giving interviews in a really hard to learn language, talking about the microcredits and helping people. What a difference, I don't like monarchies but I'd rather have one Maxima than three Letizias.

Last edited:
Scherezada already we know that you do not like Letizia and I continue without understanding that you do here. The comparisons are odious. Every princess realizes the work that assigns her, and in the future Letizia also will have her own agenda.
I will say to you that in Spain she is the Queen Sofia who works with the microcredits.
Also I will say to you that in the Zarzuela requests are accumulated in order that Letizia comes to acts and presides at things, and that often she helps the people when they come to petition without her of so many advertising.

Certainly, I am thinking about being able to affirm that no princess has passed it so badly how Letizia being next to her citizens ... I would like that you saw the images of the attempts of Madrid, those of Tolodella's accident, those of the fire of Guadalajara or of the accident of Afghanistan. It also is to be a princess and of a very hard and worthy form.

One forgot me, I am sorry that you could not have enjoyed the wonderful images of the Princes in Candeal, a marvellous project of the musician Carlinhos Brown to teach music to the children of a favela of Brazil.

Last edited:
Scherezada, I hope you can do some research and get your facts straight before pouring venom the next time. Maxima didn't do much the first two years of her marriage, in fact she took many more vacations than Letizia. She started working hard after coming back from her first maternity leave, that was more than two years after her wedding date.
Also Maxima is receiving the salary directly from the government (about 890k Euro each year). Thus it's much easier for her to hire her own staffs and start her own programs than Letizia, whose every move has to be approved by Zarzuela. Can you imagine if Letizia were given 890k Euro each year ? She probably would have been expected to work 7 days a week.

Last edited:
LaChicaMadrilena said:
An article from "Diez minutos" about Letizia attending the anniversary of King's enthronment:
http://www.especialeshf.com/bodareal/noticias/noticia194.htm

I translated the part the talks about Letizia (nothing new, but...)

The princess reappear to pay a tribute to the King
Letizia parted from her daughter for the first time just for a little while in order to attend and important event. The wife of Don Felipe wanted to attend the reception for King Juan Carlos' thirtieth anniversary in the throne.

Doña Letizia didn't stay till the end

Again dressed by Felipe Varela, in shades of blue and wearing Cartier earrings, we were able to notice that princess Letizia is already back in shape and that maternity fits her very well.

However, the princess' presence in the reception doesn't mean that she's back to work, as stated by La Zarzuela, this was an exception.

The princess didn't stay until the end, after the greetings and a few minutes in the room where the reception took place doña Letizia came back to her home in La Zarzuela.

donnaK said:
Maxima didn't do much the first two years of her marriage, in fact she took Thus it's much easier for her to hire her own staffs and start her own programs than Letizia, whose every move has to be approved by Zarzuela. Can you imagine if Letizia were given 890k Euro each year ? She probably would have been expected to work 7 days a week.

Well, we all work, and sometimes two jobs, for our money. Yes, if she was going to make that much, then you would expect her to work overtime. However, that is not the point. As much as I disagree with Scherezada's comments, I think there is a valid point. Letizia is only in the news because of her clothing and other trivial things...not that it is bad or good, but it is the truth. I think that Maxima is doing a lot of good...Letizia may start doing that later. I know that Queen does many charitable work...

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end, we saw Princess Letizia again :eek:.

On the other hand, I can not understand how people need to compare one princess with another one (and in the most occasions is with Letizia) in order to do most important the first one. Maybe, it will be because her prefered princess is not good enough by herself.:p

I honestly fail to see the point on measuring up the princesses. Each one has their qualities and they'll all show that to us in due course.

I just wanted to ask to you to keep this thread civil.

Roxsteve said:
Well, we all work, and sometimes two jobs, for our money. Yes, if she was going to make that much, then you would expect her to work overtime. However, that is not the point. As much as I disagree with Scherezada's comments, I think there is a valid point. Letizia is only in the news because of her clothing and other trivial things...not that it is bad or good, but it is the truth. I think that Maxima is doing a lot of good...Letizia may start doing that later. I know that Queen does many charitable work...

No, I didn't expect anyone to work overtime, but if Letizia were to receive this much money, people like Scherezada probably would and I bet she would be the first one to complain here if she didn't (IMO):cool: .
I don't agree that Letizia was not doing anything. She had been sitting on the meetings with the Prince, She was doing similar things as her husband in the acts except for the speeches. It's known that both of them have been working together at the speeches, lots of which have been very well written in my opinion. There is a report that Zarzuela allows Letizia to hire a secretary now. I guess she will have her own agenda after the maternity leave.

Last edited:
My God! Whatever one thinks of Letizia, yoU've got to admit that she isn't somebody who married "into" a relaxed, easy-going court! If she were in the Netherlands or Scandinavia, things would be much easier for her. But here she's tried to conform to tradition, prove she'd good at her job. And I tell you something - she'll come into her own and astonish us all, I'm quite sure of that. But she needs time!

Oh well, I guess in this forum is happening the same with as with the spanyard press, Letizia is soooooooooooo perfect that have become a kind of alien. St Letizia of Asturias. C'mon, you people may like Letizia but you can't be so blind, Letizia's public appearances are solely as Felipe's wife. I don't know if call me stupid is according to the rules of this forum, well, I may be stupid but I have eyes on my face, ALL the princesses are doing their jobs, have their own agendas, AND have kids in between, their travel without their husbands in ocassions, patronage events, etc etc, in case you don't know the Spanish Monarchie is rich, their are millionaries, all of them, from JC to Cristina, ask any spanyard if they can live in those kind of houses or pisos, with nanas for their kids, luxurious vacations, etc, father JC knows how to distribute the money. Even the greek Queen and King so called because neither of them are Queen or King anymore, the soveraigne people of Greek doesn't recognize monarchies anymore, but the yellow press needs to sale copies and keep calling Queen and Kings to people that are exilees, even they are rich. My point is that if Letizia doesn't have a real job, with an agenda etc is not because of the lack of money, they who have everything they may possible want, with the money they spend only in annual flowers for the Palace you can pay a staff, give me a break!.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom