Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 17: January 2013 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Spain, the royal family had always been a safeguard against the politicians, even today polls show they inspire more confidence. But the scandal Noos is a very heavy burden in a country with many difficult situations.

The Prince and Princess are in an impossible situation, no matter they try to make things right, because they pay for the mistakes of others. But at least they are going to all kinds of events, knowing that they can find sometimes complicated situations.

The king with his health problems, does not leave the palace, has no activity with "normal" people ... the Palma gone to Switzerland to live quietly while the storm passes ... and finally those who face their mistakes publicly are others.

The same goes for politicians, that "hide" behind the royal presence. Princess Letizia was yesterday in Valencia that is a region with many problems of corruption... Royal Family can not eliminate politicians of the acts, but they know that the presence of some of them, assure that the act will be difficult.

The same goes for politicians, that "hide" behind the royal presence. Princess Letizia was yesterday in Valencia that is a region with many problems of corruption... Royal Family can not eliminate politicians of the acts, but they know that the presence of some of them, assure that the act will be difficult.

I might be wrong but i think its the politicians (whenever they are involved) who will ask the royals to attend suitable events, meaning that it is more or less a political event (very often eg awards are sponsored by the government) together with a royal whose field of interest matches the topic. Therefore the royals can't escape such occasions as the politician is the 'host' in the background.

I think the politicians are glad that the SRF is around, as they can play them and use them as scapegoats where possible. The political parties will never support any calls for abolishment etc. People might still think more highly of royals, but they are being dragged into the negativity.

Letizia looks completely mortified after she had to endure the woman's outburst, all you can do is listen and be polite because in the end, these are different worlds and royals will never stand in such shoes themselves.

Duke, there are already more or less established "when a politician must accompany members of the Royal Family" rules... except some minor act, they are always accompanied by some.

Spain is a parliamentary monarchy, so the actions of the Royal Family must be supported by the political authorities. At the end any act has, however slight, a relation with the national, regional or local government... politicians do not lose their opportunity for photo and the Royal Family has little power in that.

Letizia did look mortified after her encounter but I have to admit the Princess handled it very well and was so dignified.

In terms of image and influence abroad, the best thing Spain has going for it is the Prince and Princess of Asturias.

Letizia looks completely mortified after she had to endure the woman's outburst, all you can do is listen and be polite because in the end, these are different worlds and royals will never stand in such shoes themselves.

Very often especially in difficult circumstances it could be very "healthy" for a country, if the RF is around and listen and is simply "THERE".
I remember the Second World War with keeping the moral of the people high in the UK or Denmark via the Royal Family. I also remember the terrorist bomb tragedy in the Madrid Trains of the Breivik killing, where the Spanish and Norwegian RF mourned together with the people. These situations also can tie the knot much tighter between the RF and the country.

Or a CP Letizia, who is listening....
BYe Bine

Letizia did look mortified after her encounter but I have to admit the Princess handled it very well and was so dignified.

I agree. She managed to stay composed the entire time. Can't help but feel bad for her. As Moonmaiden23 said, it's a shame JC or Christina wasn't in Letizia's place to hear this.

Letizia did handle the situation very well. I know that I wouldn't have handled it nearly as diplomatically. There is something to be said about being "there" with their people though. I do remember the bombings in Madrid and how the royal family were right there after it happened. I think that counted for a lot in the minds of many.

Turby:
That is the best comment on Spain, this couple if they survive the JC and his daughter son-in-law will be the very best Spain has had in decades. May CPF/CPL stay strong and be continue to be the loving family that we see.

Can someone please explain exactly what happened? My Spanish is next to nothing and I've been able to figure out some of what went on, but would love to know the exact details. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree. She managed to stay composed the entire time. Can't help but feel bad for her. As Moonmaiden23 said, it's a shame JC or Christina wasn't in Letizia's place to hear this.

Infanta Cristina or Inaki would never allow themselves to be caught in such a situation,it is to the credit of the Princess on how she handled herself and her approach at such an ugly situation.

HRH The Princess of Asturias will today preside over the Opening of the XVI National Congress of Volunteering at the Congress Centre and Auditorium of Navarra, Baluarte. Pamplona

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Inauguración del XVI Congreso Estatal del Voluntariado

PPE Agency

PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad times for a country also mean bad times for a constitutional monarchy, because it becomes evident that there is a very privileged life in return for what? 'representing', without any political power or not even having an opinion on pressing issues apart from bla bla, all you can do is what Letizia did, stop and listen, but its frustrating, because what exactly is the point of stopping by at a social station, its like stepping out of your luxury life for a few minutes, looking and listening, possibly genuinely, and then stepping back into your chauffeured car and into your luxury life. What remains of such a visit? That somebody showed interest and listened, it may be comforting in good times but in bad times with real problems at home it seems like a bad joke, especially when other family members openly don't give a hoot about 'normal folk'. therefore the royals have to live with such incidents, its not their fault but at the same time they belong to the same elite that live off people's money, being told by the politicians what to do.

This woman wanted to be heard, now many people heard about her story. She perfectly understood Letizia wouldn't solve her problem, most likely could only give her encouragement and bring publicity to the problems, she is satisfied with the outcome. Why did royals need to visit a social station ? It's about the same question about why the royals need to visit refugee camps, homeless stations, orphanages, gather at the most expensive landmark talking about poverty ;).

Last edited:
With famous people that debate will always exist, where the boundary between being involved in a cause or use as form of promotion is.

I think generally the Spanish royal family is quite prudent, they support causes without abusing of the "charitable photo".

This time the Princess was in Valencia to present awards King Jaime I awards that annually delivers a member of the Royal Family. The visit to the House of Charity was a "secondary" act, this institution was founded over 100 years ago, inaugurated by King Alfonso XIII, and visited by Queen Victoria Eugenia and Queen Sofia ... so it was also expected that princess Letizia was invited to visit the institution sometime.

Inauguración del XVI Congreso Estatal del Voluntariado - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Letizia seems much more relaxed on solo appearances with children. More engaged and lively. Good to see this. I think she may have found her niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom