Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 17: January 2013 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't think her reputation is "ruined" at all. If you are referring to the onslaught of negative publicity she has received since her marriage, the thing to do is to hold her head high and to remember who she is as the future queen and the mother of a future queen. She can behave with dignity in the face of the attacks, as befitting her status.

Not play into the hands of her detractors, causing them to nod their heads at how unsuitable she is, and how they were right about her all along.:sad:

Last edited:
No matter how she dresses, they will always speak of her clothes ... if it is boring because it is boring ... if she follows the trend because she does it... in this forum, in magazines ... one of the favorite themes is the queens and princesses clothing.

In fashion blogs they like this look because occasionally they like she takes risks and follow trends. The leggings have become the last years in a basic in the closet of most Spanish women... and this style is the one that is trendy this season, all the big stores have their version. She has mix a classic black blazer and a white blouse with the trend leather leggings. That's the style that works with Spanish woman.

If a government minister appears with a leather jacket or leggings in Parliament ... nobody is going to be shocked by it. Just because no one is shocked by what they see on the street, work, television, magazines and shops every day.

If the Princess of Asturias appeared in an event other than a wedding, with a suit, hat and gloves ... Spanish people will see it ridiculous.

A country, a culture, a philosophy of fashion ...

I entirely agree. One of the interesting and enlightening things about this forum, [with its plethora of users of different nationalities] is how opinions differ on various issues. Often , it seems to me , things that are entirely acceptable to Europeans seem to shock people from the USA. This is reflected in moral as well as sartorial matters.

The Princess of the Asturias has been in her role long enough to know what she can, and cannot get away with in the eyes of her principal 'target market', the people of Spain. She knows she will never gain acceptance from 'Diehards', for whom she will always fall short as she is not an aristocrat, so she concentrates on appealing to the newer more meritocratic Spain and IMO she does so very effectively.

No matter how she dresses, they will always speak of her clothes ... if it is boring because it is boring ... if she follows the trend because she does it... in this forum, in magazines ... one of the favorite themes is the queens and princesses clothing.

In fashion blogs they like this look because occasionally they like she takes risks and follow trends. The leggings have become the last years in a basic in the closet of most Spanish women... and this style is the one that is trendy this season, all the big stores have their version. She has mix a classic black blazer and a white blouse with the trend leather leggings. That's the style that works with Spanish woman.

If a government minister appears with a leather jacket or leggings in Parliament ... nobody is going to be shocked by it. Just because no one is shocked by what they see on the street, work, television, magazines and shops every day.

If the Princess of Asturias appeared in an event other than a wedding, with a suit, hat and gloves ... Spanish people will see it ridiculous.

I think its less about the outfit but about the occasion, where everyone else was dressed in formal business attire. The royal family is not normal people or celebrity, I still think that the event should take center stage, therefore other people attending are dressing accordingly, and should not be overrun by a trendy or risky outfit.

I think its less about the outfit but about the occasion, where everyone else was dressed in formal business attire. The royal family is not normal people or celebrity, I still think that the event should take center stage, therefore other people attending are dressing accordingly, and should not be overrun by a trendy or risky outfit.

Fully agqee.
Generally speaking Letizia dresses in an appropriate way, and this "classicism" makes stronger the "crazy exceptions"! When she suddenly dresses like for a disco, or in short pants for the Army day, I have the impression that she deliberately wants to send a message.

Lula, all cps face the same attention on their appearance:flowers: For the most part most of them dress in a manner that is respectful of the event and the people they are meeting and the families they represent. Yes, leggings are seen most everywhere, but that doesn't mean that leather leggings and red shoes are the best choice to wear for an award presentation when everyone else dresses otherwise. Letizia draws attention to herself, and sometimes not in a good way. No one is asking her to wear a hat and gloves.

Fully agqee.
Generally speaking Letizia dresses in an appropriate way, and this "classicism" makes stronger the "crazy exceptions"! When she suddenly dresses like for a disco, or in short pants for the Army day, I have the impression that she deliberately wants to send a message.

I agree with you that she wants to send a message. The problem is it comes back and bites her and makes her look silly, imo.

Last edited:

And lets suppose that God forbid Queen Sofia,Infanta Elena,Prince Felipe or the King all decided to wear what everyone else in the street was wearing would it be ok or deemed ridiculous by the Spanish people?

Would there be criticism or would no one care?

An Ard Ri, what you write is not related to what I've written.

Queen Sofia dresses like a woman her age, she has 75 years old. But if you see pictures of the past, you will see that her clothing has adapted to her age and fashion.

Infanta Elena has always dressed most classic... but on more than one occasion we have seen her in an official event with a cardigan and she likes very bright colors and prints (perhaps according to some opinions here, she wants to bring attention and create scandal).

We have seen Infanta Cristina wearing leather jackets and harem pants when they were fashionable.

They do not wear hats or gloves except at weddings, because that is not common in Spain.

All do the same ... follow the fashion to suit their style, body and age.

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri
HRH The Princess of Asturias will today preside over the Act Ms. income. Carme Riera Guilera at the Royal Spanish Academy SAR in Madrid.

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Acto de ingreso de Dª. Carme Riera Guilera en la Real Academia Española

:flowers:I think PL looks stunning at this event...........I can't believe how darn beautiful she is. If she wears leggings with red shoes, I say go for it, this is a modern world and she looks great. As far as the diehards that don't like her............I say, "It's water off my back, no bother". You can't please all the people all the time and there must be something in her life for just her alone not just for everyone else. I love that black beaded top with the white flirty skirt......she is really a wonderful wife, mother and princess all rolled into one fabulous lady.

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri
HRH The Princess of Asturias will today preside over the Act Ms. income. Carme Riera Guilera at the Royal Spanish Academy SAR in Madrid.

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Acto de ingreso de Dª. Carme Riera Guilera en la Real Academia Española

:flowers:I think PL looks stunning at this event...........I can't believe how darn beautiful she is. If she wears leggings with red shoes, I say go for it, this is a modern world and she looks great. As far as the diehards that don't like her............I say, "It's water off my back, no bother". You can't please all the people all the time and there must be something in her life for just her alone not just for everyone else. I love that black beaded top with the white flirty skirt......she is really a wonderful wife, mother and princess all rolled into one fabulous lady.
Well said! I agree with you 100%. I wish the Prince and the Princess and their family received more exposure in the western press. What great ambassadors of good will they could be to the people in the USA.

Doña Letizia conoce los efectos de la crisis, Vídeos deAUDIO en Levante

Letizia being confronted by the effect of the crisis. This woman has a lot to say to her.

(...)After the visit and before getting into the car planned to take her to the Lonja to deliver the King Jaime I Awards, the Princess of Asturias has broken protocol and has approached a group of people queuing to enter to eat at the charity home who have called for a photo.

She talked during about ten minutes with Pilar Albert, a woman who has told her situation -three children unemployed and about to be evicted-, and asked her "work for the poor" while Letizia nodded.

Pilar has later explained to reporters that the Princess has asked for "patience and take care of myself a lot," and stressed that the princess has "attended nicely and politely."

La Princesa de Asturias visita la Casa Caridad de Valencia y se interesa por la realidad social. Las Provincias

Video

Video: La Princesa Letizia visita la Casa de la Caridad de Valencia - Canal de Vdeos de lasprovincias.es

Video: La Princesa Letizia en la Casa de la Caridad - Canal de Vdeos de lasprovincias.es

Video: La Princesa Letizia entrega de los premios Jaume I - Canal de Vdeos de lasprovincias.es

Last edited by a moderator:
(...)After the visit and before getting into the car planned to take her to the Lonja to deliver the King Jaime I Awards, the Princess of Asturias has broken protocol and has approached a group of people queuing to enter to eat at the charity home who have called for a photo.

She talked during about ten minutes with Pilar Albert, a woman who has told her situation -three children unemployed and about to be evicted-, and asked her "work for the poor" while Letizia nodded.

Pilar has later explained to reporters that the Princess has asked for "patience and take care of myself a lot," and stressed that the princess has "attended nicely and politely."

La Princesa de Asturias visita la Casa Caridad de Valencia y se interesa por la realidad social. Las Provincias
Considering that Letizia is not an elected member of the government, I hope that she understands that all she can do is to offer encouragement and compassion. Unfortunately after reading comments on other sites I do believe that there are those who think that constitutional monarchs and members of those royal families hold actual power.:sad:

Is Letizia being criticized or applauded in Spain for doing this?

Is Letizia being criticized or applauded in Spain for doing this?

Why should they criticize her? I think only the twisted people who criticize everything, criticize that.

She went to a place where there are people with social problems, this woman decided to tell her story and she listened ... end of story ... although probably many politicians and public office or would not have approached or have not been listening to the woman 10 minutes.

The princess also spoke with a journalist, who had met in Iraq, he works in Valencia public television that is about to be closed for mismanagement firing hundreds of people.

The country's situation is bad, and sometimes the Prince and Princess are in difficult situations ... really is an unfair situation because they continue doing their job, while politicians who have done evil hide behind them and family members who have brought problems are living a golden exile in Switzerland.

Why should they criticize her? I think only the twisted people who criticize everything, criticize that.

It was a simple question as it seems certain elements of the media will criticize Letizia no matter what she does and I was wondering if it had gone down well that's all.

They are two different things... if you want a single answer for or against her, you will not get it.

There will be people who will look good, she has done what she should do in such a place, and she has stopped, has talked to the woman and listened to her problems ... things that most politicians do not.

There will be also press that is always looking for controversy and the headline, and there is people who criticize all... criticize them if they do something, and also if they do not. The same people who criticize the royal family for not attending more social events, criticize them when they do ... criticize for criticizing

Photos

Letizia d'Espagne : Felipe court-circuité par son avion, elle survole les débats

25/11/2013 :: Valencia - Visita de Doa Letizia a la Casa de Caridad

Video

Doña Letizia rompe el protocolo para escuchar a una mujer al borde del desahucio - ANTENA 3 TV

Last edited:
Bad times for a country also mean bad times for a constitutional monarchy, because it becomes evident that there is a very privileged life in return for what? 'representing', without any political power or not even having an opinion on pressing issues apart from bla bla, all you can do is what Letizia did, stop and listen, but its frustrating, because what exactly is the point of stopping by at a social station, its like stepping out of your luxury life for a few minutes, looking and listening, possibly genuinely, and then stepping back into your chauffeured car and into your luxury life. What remains of such a visit? That somebody showed interest and listened, it may be comforting in good times but in bad times with real problems at home it seems like a bad joke, especially when other family members openly don't give a hoot about 'normal folk'. therefore the royals have to live with such incidents, its not their fault but at the same time they belong to the same elite that live off people's money, being told by the politicians what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom