Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 14: October 2008 - September 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Letizia looked so professional and gentle while she was speeching. I agree she looks more beautiful and relaxed these days. :)
Amazing outfit, lovely young lady!

good and important cause to be involved in, hope the own agenda will not only be kept alive but is also given more significance, eg through events like this one.

Princess Letizia during a ceremony at the Spanish Senate to mark Rare Disease Day 2009 in Madrid

PPE Agency

It is lovely that Letizia is involved in these kinds of causes. I don't know very much about her but perhaps she is a kind and thoughtful person.

But I never fail to be astonished by people who say that Letizia is beautiful. Honestly? I find her extremely unattractive. Short, no curves, ugly rhinoplasty with he nostrils now completely uneven, dark hair that she tries to make blond. I can understand if people find her heart and mind to be beautiful. But physically? There is no beauty that I can see.

Short, no curves, ugly rhinoplasty with he nostrils now completely uneven, dark hair that she tries to make blond. I can understand if people find her heart and mind to be beautiful. But physically? There is no beauty that I can see.

So a princess should be tall, blonde and with curves to be considered beautiful? That´s what i infer from your limited concept of beauty. That says a lot about you. You need to grow up.

I think people always criticize Letizia, and also make such unfair comments to her. I think she is professional enough to handle this situation and accept the voice. But, how can somebody to make a truely wrong statement like that. A beautiful mind is undoutedly priceless! Also, Letizia is attractive in both outside and inner side, she is a real beauty and has a beautiful mind. :rose:

water said:
how can somebody to make a truely wrong statement like that
As everyone knows: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
So, please let's stay calm and on topic. :flowers:

This poor Princess does not seem comfortable with what God gave her. Her hair and eyebrows are dark, but she dyes them blonde. She had a strong chin and a hooked nose and she had them shaved off. She is petite but always, always, always wears high heels to make herself seem not quite so short. Judging by the prince's dating history, his preferred physical type is tall, fair, women who do not suffer from anorexia. But the fact Letizia is clearly not happy with her natural state shows a lack of esteem that is especially worrisome.

It is gragic that Letizia is suffering from an eating disorder. I hope she finds the help she needs. It is a serious mental/ emotional illness an should be treated as such. Just because she exists in the public eye, it does not mean that this problem should be ignored. Just like Princess Diana suffered from anorexia and bulimia; it does not look attractive but more importantly, it is a physical manifestation of emotional anguish.

It is wonderful if Letizia truly has a beautiful mind and heart. I don't understand why we have to pretend that every princess is pretty, physically. External beauty is not very important, and since Felipe married Letizia instead of an attractive woman, it shows he his priorities are not about who is good-looking. He searched for other qualities in a wife, and I am proud of him for that. When i think of what qualities make an excellent queen, I think of characteristics like kindness, sound judgement, eloquence, humour, compassion, strong moral fiber and integrity. Being pretty truly does not matter to a princess.

lacornemuse, you better get your facts straight. Letizia had her blond highlights long before dating Felipe and she looked blonder than now. Millions of women out there had blonde highlights or dye their hair blond, they don't do it to please any man. This board is not allowed to speculate eating disorders without any evidence, those posts will be deleted for sure.
Did you hear that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' ? Whatever you think doesn't change what others think or vice versa. Some people thought Diana was unattractive too, so what ? However if some silly women still think Letizia stole their dream prince, better wake up now and have a life.

"She is petite but always, always, always wears high heels to make herself seem not quite so short."

I suppose it´s because she looks better next to his husdand and not because she feels bad for her height, which is quite the average, not like the royal family who are above the average for spanish people. So she´s not short at all, if you compare her in pictures with so many other people, including men.

"Judging by the prince's dating history, his preferred physical type is tall, fair, women who do not suffer from anorexia."

Well, she married not such a tall woman, so he and only HE can speak about his preferrences. And you cannot possibly assert so firmly that she did suffer from anorexia, a serious disorder that makes the patient move away from his daily duties. She´s had too healthy babies this last years, and has fulfilled her duties very well.

" I don't understand why we have to pretend that every princess is pretty, physically."

You don´t have to pretend, you have to make your statements in a polite manner and never assumimg something you don´t have the least idea about.

"External beauty is not very important, and since Felipe married Letizia instead of an attractive woman, it shows he his priorities are not about who is good-looking."

You are contradicting yourself, beauty IS important for you and to such an extent that i don´t have another way to express this: you have made outrageous and racist remarks and i feel pitty for you.
I want to make very clear that i don´t mind whether my post is deleted, if the administrators consider this is off topic. I only wish the adreessee might read this. I am not even a fan of Letizia, i only come to this board from to time to time. But i feel indignant at what i consider disrespectful comments. I´m sorry to disagree, it´s not only about the eyes of the beholder. When the beholder does not show some respect, his statement is more an offence than an opinion.

[/quote]

Judging by the prince's dating history, his preferred physical type is tall, fair, women who do not suffer from anorexia.

...It is gragic that Letizia is suffering from an eating disorder. I hope she finds the help she needs. It is a serious mental/ emotional illness an should be treated as such.

Just a simple question: where's your solid proof?

You are contradicting yourself, beauty IS important for you and to such an extent that i don´t have another way to express this: you have made outrageous and racist remarks and i feel pitty for you.

To digress, though, lacornemuse has indeed made outrageous remarks, but it's not racist. The poster was tackling Letizia's physical apprearance, not the color of her skin or ethnicity. What is obvious for me is that the remarks were made in such a bold, convinced manner but are in fact baseless.

Last edited:
Is Juan Carlos fed up of Letizia? Is that the translation?

The translation is: "Juan Carlos hates Laetitia". The story is that a priest and friend of Juan Carlos died and they found some secret tapes where the priest speaks about things that Juan Carlos told him over many years. The priest betrayed him and wanted to write a book. The rumour is that Juan Carlos hates Laetitia and wanted to get rid of her. He further says that the king is the reason for Laetitias eating disorder and that the king had many affairs over the years.

These are just rumours but they were on German TV today. This is not my opinion, I just wanted to translate the story. But I really wonder if any of this is true?

The name of the priest was Bartolome Vicens Fiol, he died in January 2009.

Have been published a supposed declarations of a deceased priest who was a confessor of the King (who if he was a confessor breaks with one of the basic rules of the priesthood); so the history is a bit strange. The German press has taken charge exaggerating and decorating the history, on which supposedly commented the priest is that the King had doubts on the Princess for her plebeian origin and her divorce. The rest is added of the German yellow press.

It is never necessary to forget that the King Juan Carlos is a man educated in the high classes in the Franco's regime, and probably great of his ideas with regard to certain topics seem to us to be today hypocritical enough. The Infanta Cristina married a plebeian sportsman and the Infanta Elena is separated and the reconciliation seems to be very improbable ... so the King will have to get used that the world changes. In addition they are the supposed words of a priest who also will see the things from his world, what in is a bit removed from the reality of the society.

She is petite but always, always, always wears high heels to make herself seem not quite so short.

It is gragic that Letizia is suffering from an eating disorder. I hope she finds the help she needs. It is a serious mental/ emotional illness an should be treated as such. Just because she exists in the public eye, it does not mean that this problem should be ignored. Just like Princess Diana suffered from anorexia and bulimia; it does not look attractive but more importantly, it is a physical manifestation of emotional anguish.

It is wonderful if Letizia truly has a beautiful mind and heart. I don't understand why we have to pretend that every princess is pretty, physically. External beauty is not very important, and since Felipe married Letizia instead of an attractive woman, it shows he his priorities are not about who is good-looking. He searched for other qualities in a wife, and I am proud of him for that. When i think of what qualities make an excellent queen, I think of characteristics like kindness, sound judgement, eloquence, humour, compassion, strong moral fiber and integrity. Being pretty truly does not matter to a princess.

Well wearing high heels is not an issue as long as you can carry them yourself and as long as you don't look as if you're dragging your heels. In the case of Letizia, she seems comfortable wearing those platforms and honestly I find them attractive on her. She performs public duties, what do you expect, wear flat shoes or perhaps ballerina shoes? If I'm not mistaken Carla Bruni wears flat shoes with a suit. In her case she's tall and maybe prefers wearing medium-heeled shoes so as not to look too tall when standing next to her husband.

You said that external beauty is not important however I do agree with some of the members here that you are actually contradicting yourself. ;)

The translation is: "Juan Carlos hates Laetitia". The story is that a priest and friend of Juan Carlos died and they found some secret tapes where the priest speaks about things that Juan Carlos told him over many years. The priest betrayed him and wanted to write a book. The rumour is that Juan Carlos hates Laetitia and wanted to get rid of her. He further says that the king is the reason for Laetitias eating disorder and that the king had many affairs over the years.

These are just rumours but they were on German TV today. This is not my opinion, I just wanted to translate the story. But I really wonder if any of this is true?
Thank you for the translation -- but why in the world would anyone care at this late date. Not every parent "likes" their future son or daughter-in-law but time and manners change a lot of feelings especially when the grandchildren come along. I feel sorry for Juan Carlos that his priest's betrayal became public. As far as his old affairs, that is only his and Sofia's business after all this time.

Juan Carlos should be much more concerned about his own integrity. As a catholic one has to assume he believes that one day he has to own up to his own life.

As to earlier comments about Letizia being attractive or not. I find her very attractive. She has her own personality and has not let the access to designer clothes and jewelry made her into a clothes hanger. She is a lovely representative of Spain and the royal family.

juan carlos does not like letizia or is not happy with felipe's choice - what's new?

it is obvious that both king and queen did not have a divorced journalist with a bossy attitude in mind when it came down to marrying off their precious son, the heir to the spanish throne. felipe was only able to force his choice into the family because his parents had finally lost their ammunition when fighting off eva sannum for 4 years, another victim of their arrogant attitude that nobody without a certain genealogy or social class would be good enough for their son.

sofia did the only sensible thing by taking her daughter in law "under her wing" because everthing else would have put the monarchy or the relation to her son into jeopardy. learning to like letizia was the main task for sofia, whether she truly does we don't know, but i find the "best friends" interpretation of countless photos of both women very overrated, keeping in mind that sofia is a very determined woman who would do anything to see her son as King Philip VI on the spanish throne, even learn to like somebody she will certainly not have labelled as "suitable" in the first place.

jc however, and the infantas, never felt the need or obliged to put on a similar show, the usual "off" body language sends out its own message. it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that the king is not very fond of the princess as he refuses to give the kind of public support the queen has offered (not even to his granddaughters leonor or sofia). but it is his right to do so, the king is the king, quite untouchable as long as he is alive, and he won't - and people don't expect him to - bend over backwards for letizia.

overall i think that the king is a man of the past who should be grateful that his son found a woman after all who obviously loves him and is willing to go through a daily ordeal of being critizised for everything, stared at and photographed like a zoo animal, giving up a self determined life in order to shut up, smile, give birth to children and being told by others what to do, and all this in the public eye. there are not many women out there who would be mad enough to do so, especially not when taking a second or closer look at the situation in spain where a future King Philip VI or a future Queen Leonor are no certainty at all. there is no guaranteed reward, not even a lavish lifestyle.

it is speculation what letizia would have done if she had had the choice to look into a chrystal ball back in november 2003 to see what would be left of her personality or what it really meant to marry into the borbon dynasty, i guess there was a rude awakening on many occasions.

There is a certain sector that was hoping that the Princess was failing, to demonstrate that they had reason. Five years later the Princess has supported the unbearable thing, has been kept on the second plane (inside what is possible), she is hard-working, she is not wasteful... those who did business of criticizing the Princess for criticizing have lost. If she continues doing the work that she has done till now, only she will continue growing. Because if you do well your work, if you are responsible, if you have good feelings ... it does not matter if you are plebeian or divorced.

Duke, I cannot know what the King, the Queen or the Infantas think, but they must to be grateful. Because finally Letizia has acquired a commitment and a responsibility that benefits to all. The Infantas enjoy the privileges that have had always, but now with more freedom. The King with his dangerous friendship and hunts, the Queen with her declarations, the Infanta Elena with her separation, and Cristina and Iñaki with their mansion and the business of him. They all have committed mistakes, but they have the advantage of which they are judged with great less hardness. In case they have not had the sensibility and necessary comprehension towards the Princess, it would say enough little of them as persons.

There is a certain sector that was hoping that the Princess was failing, to demonstrate that they had reason. Five years later the Princess has supported the unbearable thing

i agree with all you said lula, just two remarks: especially queen sofia will have made sure, before agreeing to an engagement, that failure is not an option, because failure would endanger the spanish monarchy. so far letizia has proven "professional", like he mother in law, but it remains to be seen at what cost.

the really hard test will come as queen, much more on her own, jc and sofia gone, felipe busy as king and probably less attentive, the daughters grown up ... if somebody did the "unbearable thing" as you call it, it was sofia, surviving in a hostile environment with a straying husband, forced to find her own source of strength. becoming queen of spain did come at a heavy price, even for a greek princess. from that perspective, letizia will have to climb a mountain in years to come and has hardly left the base camp at this stage.

They are different circumstances in different epochs. The Queen passed bad moments, but for example, she did not suffer so much the public and the press pressure, because a few years ago this pressure was not so strong as now and because they were more protected.

The Princess is not going to live through the same process that the Queen, they are different lifes and epochs. For the Princess the initial moment is the hardest, because it is when the great change takes place, passed a time the things calm down. The Prince and the Princess are going to be acquiring responsibilities little by little, and it is going to allow them to adapt better. The Royal House knows of the importance of which the changes are progressive, and for it the King and the Queen will be delegating of progressive form, already they have started yielding for example acts that the King and the Queen had presided always.

Thank you for the translation -- but why in the world would anyone care at this late date. Not every parent "likes" their future son or daughter-in-law but time and manners change a lot of feelings especially when the grandchildren come along. I feel sorry for Juan Carlos that his priest's betrayal became public. As far as his old affairs, that is only his and Sofia's business after all this time.

I completely agree with you. Also I don't see how the King's body language towards Letizia has been any difference from his towards the other members of the family except for his own daughers who have always been his softest spots. The German yellow press simply likes to exaggerate the stories.
On the other hand, the King should be grateful that his son has become more mature and communicative, appears more cultured and intellectual, has much desire to work hard and improve since the wedding. Felipe had never been a real playboy IMO, but he often rubbed press and people the wrong way by dating models or actresses, too close with certain friends, ex. his former inseparable buddy Alvaro Fuster who is still making noise in the tabloids with his choice of girlfriends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom