Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 28: September - October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last two days we could observe how the Princess is going more and more involve in her role and how she is capable to assume very protocolar act with a great sens of royalty and how she can be more relax and smiling ( for me her best "atout") for an event less formal.

But my principal remark is to find how it's obvious that the Princes like to be together for their official activities. Yesterday, it's was kind to see Felipe very attentive to Letizia during her speech and after ( we could noticed that they catched their hands despite the uniform, the gown and the mantilla, not very protocolar but so sympathetic)

Today, the are totally radiant, what a pleasure to see them acting like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
LaChicaMadrilena said:
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=1158765257616.jpg
Isn't her hair shorter a bit?

Thanks for posting all pics, those with a little boy are funny, Leti looks as if she was going to drop him :lol:

I think Letizia's got layers, so up front her hair looks shorter but from the back you can still see that her hair is pretty long.

FROM EPA VIA ANP

I don't like the dress either. I'm not sure why, but I think she should give a speech, once in a while, in regular clothes just like her husband. It almost seems that she has a "speech" outfit.

About the dress, is just a matter of a protocol custom for the royal womans on the Spanish family to wear those black outfits from head to toe with the peineta headcomb and "mantilla" lace shawl when they become in a regiment flag's godmother on a military act. When a military frigate, school or regiment etc ask them to sponsor their flag they should wear this sort of "uniform", you can see a lot of pictures of the Infantas and the Queen using the same kind of outfits when on military acts or on the Vatican (except for the Queen who is allow to wear white while visiting a Pope or a Pope's funeral), and when you see them wearing all black w/ mantilla and peineta you just know what are they doing regardless you didn't know anything previosly about the act, in weddings they can use the peineta if they wish as Infanta Elena did on Letizia and Felipe's wedding but is not required and any woman could wear it; I don't know exactly the origin of this, of course peineta headcomb and mantilla lace shawl are two of the major spanish symbols but I tend to think is a reminiscence of the most conservative side of the Franco's era, they also mix the military with the spanyard most representative outfits all in black, if you look for pictures of Carmen Polo or Pilar Bahamonde, wife and sister respectively of Franco, you will see them wearing the same kind of outfits in public military gatherings. Accidentally both the public acts Letizia have had along (semi along because the presence of Felipe) but in where she have being the protagonist have being those kind of acts, she have being asked to honor a regiment's flag by being the godmother.

I also must say that this time I liked Letizia's outfit better than last time in Logroño when she used the same all black kind of outfit, she was pregnant remember? because that time she wore it with a blazer and loose hair and I must say mantilla and peineta headcomb goes with dresses or skirt and blouse but not with blazers and a hair band, yesterday she was appropiated, with a well cut dress, not to hidden not to open, just appropiated and her hair back as is suppoused to be when wearing peineta headcomb and mantilla lace shawl.

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=motril15nx7.jpg

just a question, and i hope someone can help: in the photo above, the flag Princess Letizia kissed was just placed on a tray/platter unlike before, or in previous events where the members of the SRF were patrons (madrina, padrino), the flag was hoisted on a pole or a staff. is there a reason behind the change, or was it just due to the weather (the venue being seaside, with strong winds and all)?

on the other hand, i loved how the Princes looked for the event, even though i found it a little off that Princess Letizia was in all-black and the sun was shining mighty. bu they, tradition calls.:flowers: they both looked very regal, and the Princess looked great with and without the mantilla.

hope my question isn't mind-boggling at all.:lol:

I don't have the exact answer to that but I guess is due to the fact that the flag in question will go to a ship and by doing this they can present the flag in an elegant way to the godmother for her to bless-kiss it as well as for the blessing of the military archbishop, after the blessings the flag goes to the prow of the ship in were she will be hoisted and I guess the prow is not a proper place to do all this paraphernalia as well as unconfortable for the public and the protagonists as well and kind of dangerous, also the public won't be able to see anything.

Once the flag is hoisted the godmother and the authorities will board the frigate and sign the honor roll and later they all go to the stern of the boat and take the traditional "family picture".

The flag will be hoist on the prow on the delivery day, after that it will remain in an display cabinet in the place of greater dignity of the ship and it will be hoist again only in case of a battle in front of the enemy.

Just my two cents. ;)

Last edited:
LaChicaMadrilena said:
I don't know if any photographer caught that moment, but you can see it on the video agm posted for us. This picture is similar: http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5qn6.jpg
she just kissed the flag standing like there. Pity we don't have that pic...:neutral:

here's a pic of Letizia kissing the flag..:)

my.php

The black dress is simply a tradition in the military world, which unfortunately some of they of them only it link with the epoch of Franco, is more ignorance and desire of criticizing that another thing. Because for centuries that the women belonged dressed in black, or they were taking mantilla especially in certain religious and military acts it was normal. And still today in day this tradition is kept also in the hearings with the Pope in the Vatican, where except the catholic Queens, the women must come of black and with the covered head. And in Spain in the processions of Holy Week, there continues being a group of women that dresses in black and with mantilla. They are only traditions that are kept.;)

From cover

1. Quee Maria Luisa by Goya
2. Queen Victoria Eugenia
3. Women in Sevilla´s Holy Week

http://www.abc.es/20060921/cordoba-cordoba/personas-calurosa-bienvenida-principes_200609210321.html

8.000 persons give a warm welcome to the Princes of Asturias in their visit to Lucena

For express desire of Their Royal Highnesses, the Princes of Asturias, there broke yesterday the protocol of official visit in Lucena's New Plaza in order that Don Felipe and Dona Letizia could " be with the people the major possible time " during their stay to inaugurate the Technological Center of the Furniture and of the Madeira Andalusian.

And so that at first there was foreseen that lasted only a few minutes, from the entry of the square, where a girl delivered a branch of flowers to the Princess, up to the door of the Town hall, managed to be the whole bath of multitudes - up to 8.000 persons had congregated there - closely of a quarter of hour, in which the couple pressed hands hard, it greeted and conversed amicably with the lucentinos, which remained been charmed with from the beginning.

It had been requested before by the mayor, Jose Luis Bergillos, and his fellow-citizens answered to the call, up to the point of which the local colleges allowed that, from 11 a.m., the children should be in the street of greeting the Princes. For it, the square was crammed with people, besides whom in the balconies, windows and roofs of the adjacent buildings there congregated numerous onlookers who shouted keenly the names of both.

" It is a great honor and a distinction we were waiting neither for that nor ourselves do not even deserve ourselves, since in the space of four years to possess again the visit of Don Felipe, and in this case accompanied of Dona Letizia, it is the whole luxury to which the people has could answer ", Bergillos indicated.

Not even the rain, which did act of presence in some occasions, could water down a visit in which the greeting was not absent to the whole municipal Corporation or the delivery of official gifts, that, in this occasion, supposed a sample of the oils of the future Denomination of Origin Oil of Lucena, which it represents to eleven municipalities of the south of the province; an image of the Virgin of Araceli, as Mistress of Lucena and of the whole Andalusian field, and a few cards of personalized associates of honor of the Lucena Club of Football for Don Felipe, Dona Letizia and the Infanta Dona Leonor.

After discovering a commemorative plate of this day in the stairs of entry of the Council lucentino, the couple and their procession, between(among) that there were the president of the Meeting, Manuel Chaves, several counselors, as well as the subdelegate of the Government, Jesus Maria Ruiz, and the president of the Deputation, Francisco Pulido, entered inside the Town hall, from which they looked out of one of its balconies to return to greet the public congregated to their feet.

Already inside, the Princes and the own Manuel Chaves listened to mouth of the manager of Coreco, Joaquín Lopez, and to a workers' representation, which after the suffered fire last Monday that devastated one of its principal ships, has turned to the work in order that everything continues working within one month. To change, Don Felipe offered to them all their support, as the president of the Andalusian Executive. " I believe that the presence of the Princes has served in order that the administrations we overturn more thoroughly with this damaged company ", admitted the mayor.
(...)

From Casa Real

Yes I knew is a tradition that have being around for centuries but I was refering to the custome of wear those outfits related to the military-sort-of-goverment acts, in fact for some reason people related the black dress/mantilla/peineta with Franco's era and their goverment acts; nowadays the first ladys don't use that kind of outfits but during Franco's regime they did and in more than one way the monarchy in Spain is a heiress and consequence of Franco who brought them back and they are democrats yes but pretty much they keep alive the conservative part of that regimen and the Spain who, at the end of the day, love their traditions; if you will, is a sort of Kingdom-Franco-Kingdom situation/transition in the people's minds in were as a country we past from a Queen wearing black to a First Lady wearing blak for the military acts to a Kingdom again with their women keeping the tradition of wearing those outfits among other things for the military; of course Franco's wasn't an non-denominational state or goverment as nowadays, our first lady dosn't even have to be catholic and they don't have to wear the "outfit", by that time everything was mixed with religion and since right now the monarchy is more in that cord I guess that's why they have keep the tradition alive and the people related one thing w/ the other; before Franco the custom to wear those black outfits was mostly related to catholic events (I think for what my family have told me and the history, books etc) and of course the Queen, the Princesses and Infantas wores it as well as the simple people to go to church, Holy Week's procession, "Jueves Santo" etc, in a few word is a Goyesque scene that I happens to relate in my mind with oficial-military affairs only in Franco's era and the rest of the time as a catholic and normal practice, but you'r right, is a tradition that dates from long time ago, nowadays only the royal family wears it while on oficial duties and the rest of the people as they please.

BTW. I edited to apologized for my worst-than-ever-English, I hope you guys will underestand what I just said because I just talked in riddles, I guess I'm tired. ;)

Last edited:
It is not necessary to mix the things, and in your commentaries, you mix constant the traditions and the politics.

If the Spanish we were eliminating of our culture and our traditions everything what used Franco's regime ... we were remaining without anything. If we were eliminating traditions and cultural questions linked to the religious thing, we would make eliminate most of our history. And because of it many traditions are kept, because if a country loses its traditions, it loses its history. Because if the traditions do not damage anybody, it is that to be able to preserve and to transmit them.

Today in day in Spain the people already do not come to the church dressed in black, not with the covered head ... they are traditions of the past, not only of epoch of Franco, but also very previous ... different thing is that Franco them was using as base of its ideology and in its own benefit.

The countries and the culture advance, but it does not mean that be necessary to forget the past; and because of it in certain moments these traditions recover, how it happens in the days of Holy Week. In case of the wives of the Royal Family, only they come dressed in long and black dress and in mantilla, when they are godmothers of flag; in no other military or religious act, they come dressed hereby. If the military protocol supports this, it means that for symbolic motives it thinks that this act has a special importance, and that for it must remain the tradition.

Sincerely, I do not know the exact meaning of this tradition, but it is not very difficult to guess it because it joins other traditions. For example, in Spain, in a religious wedding, the normal thing is that the godmother is dressed with long dress, and where the matilla is more traditional, with mantilla. So the difference is not great... ;)

She has wear this outfit before!Maybe twice, although she looks nice

Gosh they are now consider some kind of stars! So many people to receive them, it sounds like they are popstars!

biboquinhas said:
Gosh they are now consider some kind of stars! So many people to receive them, it sounds like they are popstars!

They are not stars, are the Princes of Asturias!!!:ROFLMAO:
There were thousands of persons. It is normal, when the Princes of Asturias, or another member of the Royal family goes to small places, not big cities, it is normal that great people are going to see, because probably only they are going to be able to see them once in the life. Not it is the same one act in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia or Seville ... that in smaller localities.

I love when they are taking hands, like yesterday on the ship.

More I'm watching at the numerous and very beautiful pics of the last two days, more i find the Princes, BOTH, smiling, convincing and attractive.

It's the power of the youth, sure but their aura is growing up fantastikly, isen't it ?

From terra:​

Last edited:
RaniaRocks said:
I don't have the exact answer to that but I guess is due to the fact that the flag in question will go to a ship and by doing this they can present the flag in an elegant way to the godmother for her to bless-kiss it as well as for the blessing of the military archbishop, after the blessings the flag goes to the prow of the ship in were she will be hoisted and I guess the prow is not a proper place to do all this paraphernalia as well as unconfortable for the public and the protagonists as well and kind of dangerous, also the public won't be able to see anything.

Once the flag is hoisted the godmother and the authorities will board the frigate and sign the honor roll and later they all go to the stern of the boat and take the traditional "family picture".

The flag will be hoist on the prow on the delivery day, after that it will remain in an display cabinet in the place of greater dignity of the ship and it will be hoist again only in case of a battle in front of the enemy.

Just my two cents. ;)

well, we may not have a confirmation yet, but thanks for your reply RaniaRocks! it helped me a lot to at least get an idea.:flowers:

image.php

Will you look at this picture? they are really popular in Spain..:lol: even in small localities they were able to gather huge number of admirers...the future is bright for this crown couple..:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
http://actualidad.terra.es/nacional/articulo/principes_asturias_razon_1101497.htm

The Princes of Asturias visit the newspaper ' La Razon'

The Princes of Asturias visited today the newspaper ' La Razon', where they were interested for the work of the journalists and were present at a meeting of its Council of Draft.

Don Felipe and dona Letizia came to midday to the headquarters of Madrid of the newspaper, where they were waited by its president, Mauricio Casals; the vice-president of the Group Planet, Jose Creuheras; the president of the Council of Administration of the diary, Santiago Barreno, and the director, Jose Alejandro Vara, between other persons in charge of the rotary one.

All of them accompanied them during their tour for the dependences of the newspaper, which began in the financial department and continued for those of advertising and marketing.
Seguidamente, the Princes of Asturias went down to the draft, which at these hours of the morning was employed already at the newspaper of tomorrow on Saturday.

Don Felipe and dona Letizia passed for all the sections, being interested for the news that were coming in these moments across the international agencies of news, for the work of each one of the editors and they listened to the explanations of the director on the system of work of the draft.

Later they were present at a meeting of the Council of Draft, where every day are decided the contents of the newspaper, the most important topics of the day and the articles of opinion.
Before sharing chat and appetizer, already more informal and in a distended environment, with the workers of ' La Razon', the Princes of Asturias posed with all of them in a family photo.

From their wedding in May, 2004, the Princes of Asturias have visited both other mass media, as the newspapers ' La Vnaguardia, El Mundo, though don Felipe, still single, turned you visit others, both written and audio-visual.

From terra and 20minutos

Last edited:
I love that orange suite.This one favors much to Letizia, she even seems fatter.
Good election!

Wow perhaps it's the way the photos are or the cut of the outfit, but Letizia certainly looks fuller... :clap:

VIDEO

http://www.antena3.com/a3noticias/servlet/Noticias?destino=../a3n/noticia/noticia.jsp&sidicom=si&id=11555030

The Princes of Asturias visit the diary " La Razón "

This morning, the Princes of Asturias have visited the newspaper " La Razón ". There they were got by thepresident, Mauricio Casals, by the vice-president of the group Planet, Jose Creuheras and by the director of " La Razón", Jose Alejandro Vara.
Don Felipe and Dona Letizia that, since they married, already they have visited several mass media, have been present also at the meeting of the Council of Draft.

From La Razon

A nice photo of the Princes looking at the photo of Leonor's presentation in the front page of the newspaper

Last edited:
lula said:
A nice photo of the Princes looking at the photo of Leonor's presentation in the front page of the newspaper
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=principes.jpg
http://s2.supload.com/free/principes.jpg/view/

And probably thinking the same many of us think... how much Infanta Leonor changed singe that first appearence of her:wub:...

Her face gordita filled the media in that day and following and the interest, for good and bad, hasn't stoped since.

Thank you for sharing lula.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

This is one of my favorite suits. I really don't like the look of orange shirt inside and open buttons (ummm, maybe the jacket has become too tight :)), too messy for my taste. I much prefer the look of the first time the suit was worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom