Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 11: July - August 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s also another thing that I have pointed out several times, but then again, this discussion is always being brought up for somebody, so here’s again my two cents.

Whenever Letizia accompanies Felipe, that act gets the double (sometimes much more than the double…) media coverage than when Felipe is alone. Well, in a country where Monarchy is not consolidated yet, and where the heir to the throne MUST prove everyday he’s hard working to serve the interests of his country, media coverage is capital. So, I would say that Letizia accompanying her husband and forming a team work with him is actually much smarter (and much more useful to help the Crown conquering the respect of all the Spaniards), than if she merely went to applaud any fashion show or attended any charity tea.

Exactly! Felipe gets more media coverage when Letizia accompanies him then when he is alone, especially now that Leti is pregnant! With the history of the monarchy in Spain being so turbulent, it's important that Felipe and Letizia are seen to be working hard to ensure the continuation of the monarchy! Other CP couples work in an environment where their monarchies are far more stable, so they do not have the factor of political instability to deal with, unlike Felipe and Letizia!

Question

Is Spain politicaly instable, and why its monarchy history was turbulent?
Thanks.

i agree with elsa, but... wouldn't it be better if they both had her own agendas? they could cover lots of more areas than they do alone. also, in my own opinion letizia won't prove her aptitude for her role until she gets her own agenda and people start seeing how she works alone. although i admire her activeness and dedication since the beggining i really don't think it benefits their own image, the image of the royal family or the work done for spain that they attend both together to the same act. it seems to me sometimes that letizia is just there to shake hands with everyone and be by the side of felipe while he does the work of pronouncing speeches and all that. don't really know why the royal household doesn't allow her yet to have her own schedule after more than a year of being princess...

by the way, i think she does look gorgeous these days in her new pre-mum outfits. she needed that change.

To have your own agenda does not prove anything. Letizia is clearly a queen-in-training and I am sure the SRF have a clear picture of how it should be done. "My" queen Silvia did very few things on her own for the longest time but eventually she made her mark with dementia awareness and education and the World Childhood organization. I am sure Letizia is a strong partner in her's and Felipe's relationship and a valued member of the SRF and by participating in the events and meetings with Felipe she is given the place of a serious player. Each royal family approaches their work differently besides Felipe certainly gets much more press coverage when Letizia accompanies him.

grevinnan

grevinnan said:
To have your own agenda does not prove anything. Letizia is clearly a queen-in-training and I am sure the SRF have a clear picture of how it should be done. "My" queen Silvia did very few things on her own for the longest time but eventually she made her mark with dementia awareness and education and the World Childhood organization. I am sure Letizia is a strong partner in her's and Felipe's relationship and a valued member of the SRF and by participating in the events and meetings with Felipe she is given the place of a serious player. Each royal family approaches their work differently besides Felipe certainly gets much more press coverage when Letizia accompanies him.

grevinnan

I couldn't have said better myself. Thank you grevinnan!

Alisa said:
I think the difference with Letizia is, that there has never been any sort of individuality with her (except for her speech a few weeks ago). There is nothing "wrong" with being part of a "team" or a couple working together; but in the same fashion that the heir also does his/her own agenda, the same can be done for the spouse. From the beginning Princess Mathilde started working and having her own agenda. In addition to being a part of the "team" with her husband, Mathilde is also very much an individual, she has had many solo visits both at home and abroad and has made many speeches as well. In the visit to India Mathilde and Phillippe each had their own agenda, in addition to the events they attended together. Thus, there was no tagging along.

Firstly, it's not fair to compare the Belgian royal house's way of doing things and the Spanish way of doing things. How many times can this be said??? :confused: So what if Mathilde had her own agenda from the very beginning? So what if Mary had her own agenda after a few months?

Secondly, Mathilde did not take on trips abroad alone less than a year after becoming a Crown Princess. It has been just barely a year since Letizia joined the royal house so to expect her to go on a trip alone already is a very high expectation, no matter how obviously competent and capable Letizia is. Now with her pregnancy and the expected down time after she has given birth, surely there will be some time before she takes on her own agenda or trips abroad by herself.

Thirdly, consider how many trips abroad Letizia has taken abroad with Felipe. Surely that is more trips abroad then Mary, Maxima, Mathilde and Mette-Marit did with their husbands within the first year of their marriages.

I would never consider what Letizia has done so far in accompanying Felipe on his engagements as tagging along. If that's how you classify it then you can say that Mary was tagging along when she went to Greenland with Frederik or to the Farose Islands recently with Margrethe, Henrik and Frederik. Just because Letizia isn't making a speech doesn't mean that she isn't improving relations between the Spanish household and a certain organization or Spain's relations with another country. You don't have to make a speech to be contributing. Your presence is sometimes enough or what you offer in your conversations with people at such engagements can further enhance your understanding of a situation that can propel relations or make situations easier for people.

And one if going to compare princesses and criticize how the Spanish royal household does things versus other royal households, consider how much easier and more effective Letizia's communication with whomever she meets as she's tagging along with Felipe than say Mary's communication when she is with Frederik or by herself, or how Maxima's communication was at the beginning of her Crown Princessly days. Niether Mary nor Maxima spoke Danish or Dutch fluently and likely stumbled or struggled now and then. Letizia, as someone who did not have to learn a new language, is much more capable of discussing complex issues, politics and history with the people she meets in the native language than Mary is now or Maxima in the beginning.

Genevieve said:
Thirdly, consider how many trips abroad Letizia has taken abroad with Felipe. Surely that is more trips abroad then Mary, Maxima, Mathilde and Mette-Marit did with their husbands within the first year of their marriages.

And one if going to compare princesses and criticize how the Spanish royal household does things versus other royal households, consider how much easier and more effective Letizia's communication with whomever she meets as she's tagging along with Felipe than say Mary's communication when she is with Frederik or by herself, or how Maxima's communication was at the beginning of her Crown Princessly days. Niether Mary nor Maxima spoke Danish or Dutch fluently and likely stumbled or struggled now and then. Letizia, as someone who did not have to learn a new language, is much more capable of discussing complex issues, politics and history with the people she meets in the native language than Mary is now or Maxima in the beginning.

i absolutely agree...especially the language part...like no one ever crtizie Mary or Maxima's danish or dutch realli...haven't really heard anyone complain abt their language skills...as much as ppl criticize Letizia not having her own agenda. I think that Letizia is doing a great job as a crown princess, no crown princess in europe have that many engagements a day...(considering her having not only 1 but several engagements everyday/ more than 1 engagement per day if u add all up and divide by 365) how come people do not criticize Mary or Maxima or Mette Marit or even Mathilde for having too little engagements? i dun think there's anything wrong with performing the task with her husband since they are both doing their job professionally!

You seem to have singled out just my post to expound your entire opinion on the discussion. I am only responding to the pieces that are relevant to what I posted in my previous post.

Genevieve said:
Firstly, it's not fair to compare the Belgian royal house's way of doing things and the Spanish way of doing things. How many times can this be said??? :confused: So what if Mathilde had her own agenda from the very beginning? So what if Mary had her own agenda after a few months?.

Go back and read the post from which my response was prompted. The poster specifically mentioned Princess Mathilde and so I chose to elaborate on the activities of the Princess.

Genevieve said:
Secondly, Mathilde did not take on trips abroad alone less than a year after becoming a Crown Princess. It has been just barely a year since Letizia joined the royal house so to expect her to go on a trip alone already is a very high expectation, no matter how obviously competent and capable Letizia is. Now with her pregnancy and the expected down time after she has given birth, surely there will be some time before she takes on her own agenda or trips abroad by herself.

Your first statement above is of course incorrect. Princess Mathilde undertook her first solo trip abroad less than 6 months after the wedding.

Alisa said:
Your first statement above is of course incorrect. Princess Mathilde undertook her first solo trip abroad less than 6 months after the wedding.

Humm, I won't say that you're wrong Alisa, but out of curiosity, I searched the Belgian Royal Family website for Mathilde's trips abroad and based on the dates I've found, her first solo trip abroad took place on December 8th, 2003. Wasn't she married in December 4th 1999? This hardly makes 6 months, but 4 years.

Of course I might be wrong, but I didn't find a reference to a trip before this one on their site.... maybe you, with all of your wisdom, can elighten us about when this trip happened....

Alisa said:
You seem to have singled out just my post to expound your entire opinion on the discussion. I am only responding to the pieces that are relevant to what I posted in my previous post.

As the previous thread is closed it's a bit hard to copy and paste all the separate quotes. I did not mean to single you out, but I did want to address your comments about Mathilde and being a "team."

Alisa said:
Your first statement above is of course incorrect.

Of course incorrect? Why am I of course incorrect? I made a mistake (but not really as you'll see below).

Alisa said:
Princess Mathilde undertook her first solo trip abroad less than 6 months after the wedding.

Alisa said:

Netty isn't completely accurate. Yes Mathilde did go to Great Britain but nowhere does it say it was a solo trip.

Princess Mathilde of Belgium was in London, England. After a meeting with the Prince of Wales at St James’s Palace, she visited sick children in the hospital at Great Ormonde Street. The children there are fighting against cancer and other life-threatening diseases.

As I have been following Mathilde as a crown princess too, I know that she was not alone on this trip. Phillippe was also on this trip.

Caption:
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: Prince Charles (C) greets Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium and his wife Princess Mathilde to his London home at St. James Palace, 04 April 2000 as they are on their first official visit to Britain. (Photo credit should read MARTYN HAYHOW/AFP/Getty Images)

So unless there is other information, I have yet to see evidence that any of the crown princesses took on solo trips abroad within the first year of marriage. Many crown princesses accompanied their husbands on trips abroad (just as Letizia has done) but none took trips abroad alone.

Attachments

• great britain.jpg
    great britain.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Seriously, why should it matter whether or not Letizia has her own agenda? Maybe she and Felipe mutually agreed that they wanted to do things this way, at least for a few years.

Genevieve said:
Netty isn't completely accurate. Yes Mathilde did go to Great Britain but nowhere does it say it was a solo trip.
As I have been following Mathilde as a crown princess too, I know that she was not alone on this trip. Phillippe was also on this trip.

Caption:
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: Prince Charles (C) greets Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium and his wife Princess Mathilde to his London home at St. James Palace, 04 April 2000 as they are on their first official visit to Britain.

Thanks for the correction.

aren't we being a little too presumptive in judging letizia right now?? i mean, come on, the girl has been a princess for barely a year...i think we won't be truly able to anaylze letizia's activism until she has been princess for at least 3-4 years...just because other princesses - like mary of denmark - have had more solo appearances doesn't mean letizia has to do the same...not only is every royal house different but every person is different as well....

besides, letizia maybe be quite active behind the scenes - we just don't hear about it...i think it's quite rash to judge her like this...give the woman a break...i mean, how many women can say they have had such a successful career, especially at her such young age?

You know, I read the criticisms of these Crown Princessess and I think, how easy for us as arm chair critics to sit and judge these women! How many of us would have the courage to choose the lives they have? To give up freedom of choice and anonymity to lead a life where every aspect will be criticised! Yes, the perks are great, but look at the sacrificies! And some women like Mary and Maxima have had to move across the world, leave families behind, learn a new language no less to live the life that they're living now! Letizia had to give up a hugely successful career where she presented the news and now her life is the news! I mean, the Crown Princesses are all amazing women because they have shown a great deal of courage in choosing their present lives. I like looking at photos of them and reading about their lives, but I wouldn't give up my life for theirs!

gattica28 said:
You know, I read the criticisms of these Crown Princessess and I think, how easy for us as arm chair critics to sit and judge these women! How many of us would have the courage to choose the lives they have? To give up freedom of choice and anonymity to lead a life where every aspect will be criticised! Yes, the perks are great, but look at the sacrificies! And some women like Mary and Maxima have had to move across the world, leave families behind, learn a new language no less to live the life that they're living now! Letizia had to give up a hugely successful career where she presented the news and now her life is the news! I mean, the Crown Princesses are all amazing women because they have shown a great deal of courage in choosing their present lives. I like looking at photos of them and reading about their lives, but I wouldn't give up my life for theirs!

Well said Gattica, and i 100% agree with you.

gattica28 said:

I agree. Several of these women have had a steep learning curve and lead pretty intense lives, even if there are perks. And, given past posts that describing the challenge the Spanish monarchy faces as compared to others, I think Letizia is particularly conscientious and hard working; very earnest in her support of the Spaniards. This is not intended at all as a criticism of other CP's because I think several of them are impressive women.

well said gattica28 ^___^ it's sad how we tend to forget their courage and complain and criticize them for the littlest things...lol

http://es.news.yahoo.com/050715/4/45xug.html

Today, at 11:30, there was a presentation, in the Sala Capitular of the City Hall of Toledo, of the I International Forum of Music, which will be celebrated in Toledo, from July 15th till July 30th, under the Presidency of Honour of TRH the Princes of Asturias.

gattica28 said:

don't know why people sometimes try to make the life of a royal seem a real martyrdom. it obviously has some bad aspects but it has lots of good (and really good) aspects as well and people tend to forget them sometimes... :)

carlota said:
don't know why people sometimes try to make the life of a royal seem a real martyrdom. it obviously has some bad aspects but it has lots of good (and really good) aspects as well and people tend to forget them sometimes... :)

I don't think that any of the statements are meant to make royals appear to be martyrs. I think that people are being objective. Their life isn't easy. I agree that they do have certain perks especially in the way of material goods, but they do give up a lot for it. Anyone who lives that particular automatically loses certain liberties and a large amount of privacy. Privacy really becomes of thing of the past.

It must be difficult at times especially for those who have married into royal families and who led their own independent lives prior to their marriages. I couldn't imagine having to think about what I am wearing and who I am seen with when I simply step out for a day of shopping, let alone being photographed for who knows how long in the process. I certainly couldn't make the switch of foregoing certain freedoms and some of my independence, not even if I do get so-called perks.

Of course, I suppose that if you are truly in love, then it it is worth the adjustment.

well... that invasion of their privacy is not just related to royals. everybody in the public scene has to live with that lack of privacy, and some of those famous people (let's say actors, singers, models, etc...) do not have sometimes an "all life patrimony" (jewels, art pieces...). moreover, the press must have respect with royals, and many of the "not so nice" details of their lives are and will always be a secret, while famous people's secrets are not only in the everyday public scene but they sometimes need to hear rumours that are just not true at all.

carlota said:
famous people's secrets are not only in the everyday public scene but they sometimes need to hear rumours that are just not true at all.
Yes, you're right, but the same happens with the royals too. Just look around the internet, or buy a gossip magazine, and see the amount of rubbish that is published in a daily basis... The difference is that you choose to become a singer or an actor and you can avoid that introsion in your privacy, if you don't like that life, but you can't avoid these intosions, when you're born a prince, and you spend all of your life experiencing it, everyday.

http://servicios.elcomerciodigital.com/pg050717/prensa/noticias/Verano/200507/17/GIJ-VER-155.html

The Princes will spend their vacations in Palma, but everything indicates that they will also visit Asturias, as they did last year. Doña Letizia loves her home land and it’s probable that she finds a hollow in her vacations to return to Ribadesella, where her paternal grandmother, Menchu Alvarez del Valle, lives.

One of the main fears of the Majorcan authorities arose after the wedding of the Princes, when there were rumours pointing a change in the summer assignments of the royal couple. But this anxiety was cleared up, during the official visit that the Princes made to the Balearic Islands: "For many years of my life, I have been enjoying your hospitality, during the summer vacations, and I myself and the Princess wish to continue enjoying here the upcoming years", said Don Felipe, for the tranquillity of many people.

In any case, this summer, after their stay in Mallorca, it’s very probable that they will spend some days in Asturias, as they did last year. But while that trip is programmed in the heat of Doña Letizia’s pregnancy, the bay of Palma de Mallorca will receive again, as it has been happening for more than three decades, the whole Royal Family. And this year the attention will be centred again in Doña Letizia and, above all, in the baby the Princess is expecting in November. But the cameras will also will look for the only daughter of the Dukes of Palma de Mallorca, Irene, that will complete two months in the island.

When August arrives the Princess will be six months pregnant and perhaps the annoyances and nauseas that have affected her, during first part of the gestation, will then be disappeared. But, even so, it is probable that the state of Doña Letizia won’t advise her to accompany HM the Queen, on board of the Fortuna or the Somni, to follow the regattas.

Last edited:
http://es.news.yahoo.com/050719/4/467mk.html

The mayor of Sada, Ramon Rodríguez Ares, invited the Princes of Asturias for a visit, in order to inaugurate the plenary room of the new consistorial building, which will hold their own title.

The government of Sada is now waiting for an answer to the request sent about a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom