King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 22: April 2012 - June 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
50 photos have been distributed, one for each year of marriage, each photo represents the most significant official or family event of that year.

The logic or reasoning behind the different pictures makes sense.

I'm curious though as to what picture features for 2012. ?

Ideally, it should, IMO, have depicted Sofia and Juan Carlos, the significant event being .... 50 years of marriage.

Front pages of magazines on the trip of the Queen Sofia to Washington and pics with Cristina of purchases in my blog

Sofía Reina

Apparently Corinna has relocated to Monaco and given up on her life in Spain. But imo this doesnt mean Corinna has given up on the King, its just to take the heat off Corinna & her children ... I am pretty sure there will be a lot of air traffic between Madrid & Monte Carlo :whistling:
El Rey pone fin a su amistad con la princesa Corinna

:previous:
Any guesses will be accurate in this messy situation. I just wonder what Princess Corinna hoped/hopes to gain from the situation. Spain is said to be an economic basket case. I doubt King Juan Carlos will be able to provide her with a lavish lifestyle.

Last edited:
I doubt JC will provide Corinna with a lavish lifestyle. Even without him, she has been very well connected within aristocratic circles. Corinna is not stupid, I doubt her aim is or was to replace Sofia.
It is unfortunate that all this became public, but given the arrangement over decades between King and Queen, separated in private but a team for Spain, nobody is really surprised, I believe people are more angry that the King splashed money in this situation or about his insensitive move to shoot an elephant rather than he is travelling with a compagnion, I dont see any anger directed towards Corinna, people are rather curious.

Apparently Corinna has relocated to Monaco and given up on her life in Spain. But imo this doesnt mean Corinna has given up on the King, its just to take the heat off Corinna & her children ... I am pretty sure there will be a lot of air traffic between Madrid & Monte Carlo :whistling:
El Rey pone fin a su amistad con la princesa Corinna

My guess is he will not be attending the Monte Carlo boat show this year, as he has occassionally in the past.

It is unfortunate that all this became public, but given the arrangement over decades between King and Queen, separated in private but a team for Spain, nobody is really surprised

Has Sofia's name ever been linked with anyone. ?

Has Sofia's name ever been linked with anyone. ?

I've never heard of any. Its not something that would be a characteristic of an old school royal like Sofia, it has been common practice or "normal" that the men have mistresses and the women grin & bear it, hold the family together. Exactly Sofia's role.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apparently there was a lunch on the occasion of the golden wedding anniversary with close family (minus Inaki, who is still in Vitoria).
Los Reyes renen en Zarzuela a toda su familia excepto a Iaki Urdangarin

Gallery 50 years JC & Sofia
Las Bodas de oro de los Reyes

I've never heard of any. Its not something that would be a characteristic of an old school royal like Sofia, it has been common practice or "normal" that the men have mistresses and the women grin & bear it, hold the family together. Exactly Sofia's role.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would expect nothing less of that lovely lady. Thanks, Duke. :flowers:

It makes sense to have a quiet family gathering. The photo with Mr. Gorbachev and 41st US President is the odd one.

Last edited:
A familiar meeting always makes sense. And mas with the children and the grandsons. And more if they are fulfilled 50 years of life shared with shades and with lights. Articles in my blog

My friend the Queen - m. Yunnus

and

Dona Sofía, of the Peace of Tatoi's Palace to being a prop of Zarzuela - Fermín Urbiola

http://sofiareina.blogspot.com.es/

Last edited:
I am delighted to hear that. It had saddened me that such a huge milestone would have gone unmarked. :flowers:

I think, this is the most suitable "solution" for this situation. A bigger celebration after all incidents during the past weeks would have been complete nonsense. But: Doing "nothing at all" on the contrary would have been a shame as well.... so this is a salomonic decision having a small family gathering.

Well, not sure, how the "mood" really was at this lunch....:ROFLMAO::whistling:

Bye Bine

Finally the Queen Sofia will not attend the celebrations of the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth.The Spanish government has so asked and the Queen has canceled the trip. Clearly the cause is Gibraltar.

At first the trip was to take place even though the Spanish government had protested because of the travel of Wessex next month.

But in recent months there have been serious problems between Spain and Gibraltar on territorial waters. Yesterday negotiations between the Spanish fishermen and Government of Gibraltar broke, and this has led to request the cancellation of the trip.

i guess this will be positive for the spanish royal family. seeing the current economic climate in spain, this is the perfect excuse for them not going and to avoid the critique that will arise if the queen goes to the jubilee.
i can't seem to understand the spanish government making a fuss about gibraltar. gilbraltar is british, in the same way as the falklands are. yet, both the spanish and argentinian governments start shouting out loud everytime the british royals visit. they got to start dealing with it...

This is a great shame as Queen Sofia attended the last Jubilee so I do not understand the problem this time. I should imagine that the Spanish Government ought to concentrate on economic rather than territorial problems.

The Sovereignty is not the only problem. There are many economic and legal problems derivatives of the particular status of Gibraltar, that concern specially the frontier zones. Often Gibraltar turns into a " black hole " for Spain, they are United Kingdom for what suits them. If they were British with British law the situation would be different.

i guess this will be positive for the spanish royal family. seeing the current economic climate in spain, this is the perfect excuse for them not going and to avoid the critique that will arise if the queen goes to the jubilee.

I dont believe a second that any critizism had arisen on Sofia attending a lunch in honor for the Queen of England (apart from the Gibraltar issue, that pops up any time british & spanish royals are involved, see the visit of C&C).

Its not that Sofia would have been attending a fluffy birthday or cheap party, its about honoring 60 years of QEII, is there any more royal event? And if a country has a monarchy, it should respect the duties that come with it, including relations to far more important fellow royals in terms of history, influcence & assigned area on the world map.

The event would have been perfect for the consort Sofia, she is there to cover such things and I bet she would have loved to attend and meet all her friends from the old school royal circle, its where she belongs. I dont think that she is relieved the government said no, rather the opposite.

The event would have been perfect for the consort Sofia, she is there to cover such things and I bet she would have loved to attend and meet all her friends from the old school royal circle, its where she belongs. I dont think that she is relieved the government said no, rather the opposite.

I agree, Duke. I feel so sorry for Sofia. She must also feel mortified at having to now renege on her earlier acceptance. :sad:

Will the Spanish royals boycott the Olympics this summer also? They are in London and will be opened by QEII after all.

I somehow doubt it.

Will the Spanish royals boycott the Olympics this summer also? They are in London and will be opened by QEII after all.

I somehow doubt it.

I guess they will do what they are let do by the Spanish Government. !

Spain is a constitutional monarchy, which means that, despite appearances to the contrary, the Government and Parliament are higher than the King and monarchy.

Last edited:

I somehow doubt it.

The Olympics are held in London, but are not a British event. The Olympics are a world event, and by the own Olympic spirit, policy and problems between nations must be set aside. That is a fundamental part of the Olympic Games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom