King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 22: April 2012 - June 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia at the award ceremony of the gold medals for fine arts of the Kennedy center for fine arts at Zarzuela Palace in Madrid.

PPE Agency Madrid

If you read the posts above you'll find out that the article you posted is incorrect and it was by no means a 'snub' by Her Majesty,The Queen of Spain.

The LA Times article is incorrect or you object to the word "snub" in the article title?

Obviously the the word "snub" should not have been used in reference to Queen Sofia personally, because it is the Spanish Government itself who have had a fit of pique suddenly and without warning over this glib piece of land and decided to snub the Queen. They have done their own queen a great disservice.

And, if the British government was sensative to the problem, they could have waited for their big announcement. It is not like the world jumps for joy when Sophie and Edward do anything. It could have waited. That is diplomacy, too.

It maybe a distraction for the Spanish but I doubt people in Britan will take notice of Sofias absence. I am sure QEII understands that it is all about domestic politics. It is certainly not the first time the SRF have had to turn down an invite because of Gibraltar. I just wonder if the Spanish will ever understand that the people of Gibraltar have twice voted in referendums, but huge margins, to remain British and not become part of Spain. I guess they have the same problem as the Argentinians with accepting peoples rights of self determination.

The LA Times article is incorrect or you object to the word "snub" in the article title?

Both,Her Majesty Queen Sofia has been ordered to turn down the invitation by the Spanish Government and it is by no means a snub by the Spanish queen .Up until earlier this week Queen Sofia was attending the lunch and had accepted the invitation,48 hours ago due to an escalating diplomatic row over Gibraltar,the Spanish government advised Queen Sofia to 'reject' the invitation.If theres a snub in this row it has more to do with diplomacy rather than the 2 royal cousins.

Last edited:
Finally the Queen Sofia will not attend the celebrations of the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth.The Spanish government has so asked and the Queen has canceled the trip. Clearly the cause is Gibraltar.

At first the trip was to take place even though the Spanish government had protested because of the travel of Wessex next month.

But in recent months there have been serious problems between Spain and Gibraltar on territorial waters. Yesterday negotiations between the Spanish fishermen and Government of Gibraltar broke, and this has led to request the cancellation of the trip.
The term "government" is such a broad term. Was it the State Department, Prime Minister .... I am curious how the decision was discussed and relayed to the Queen. I have no confidence whatsoever in the King and I just wonder if he had a role in this decision. The Queen would have received lots of attention as the wronged spouse and the one of the couple that has upheld a royal and proper role and lifestyle. The King would again have been seen as the irresponsible cheating husband. It certainly would have been in the King's interest that the Queen stayed home and not take any attention from his "rehabilitation" as the head of state.

Last edited:
I agree with Lula this is a current events thread and is getting far too political,any further off topic posts will be removed.

What a sad article. I have to say, I was not aware of any of their marriage problems as I am not a big follower of the Spanish Royal Family, but it is heart breaking for Sofia. I imagine she has perhaps not been perfect over the last 50 years, but it is quite sad to hear stories like that.

The fact she had to decline her invitation to England on Thursday is awful, particularly as she knew every other Monarch would have been there; people she has known for a long time and people she has met many times. I also highly doubt Sofia really cares about Edward and Sophie's visit to Gibraltar, it is only the government. Bit annoying really.

Last edited:
Queen Sophia is wonderful, happy .... much better when it goes alone. He is charmed with the contact with the people. Photos in my blog

Sofía Reina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom