King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 21: May 2011 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Letizia, la beneficiaria indirecta de los escndalos reales
Does anyone know about this German princess Corinna mentioned in the article?
Thank you.

Corinna Sayn Wittgenstein is rumoured to be one of JC's girlfriends (apparently he has been active in various camps). She is also supposed to be the woman in the elevator (see above). Corinna is a divorcee and has accompagnied JC on various official trips in the past, as part of his or the business delegation. The media has not mentioned her so far (yes, this is changing these days) but "unofficial gossip" links her to JC for many years.

I worry for the future of the Spanish Monarchy. Given their recent difficulties, this was a huge mistake on Juan Carlos's part.

I worry for the future of the Spanish Monarchy. Given their recent difficulties, this was a huge mistake on Juan Carlos's part.

A serious error of judgement on His Majesty's behalf,what on earth was he thinking?

I can't express (not civilly, anyway) just how angry those pictures make me. :furious:
The sight of the poor defenceless elephant lying dead and people next to it smiling... :nonono:
I don't care who's conducting the killings - a King or a plumber, or whether it's legal: it's just wrong.

Last edited:
Probably that he could get away with it.:whistling:
How right you are........he always has and he will never change at this age. I guess committing adultry is not part of his personal religion restriction. I have always felt sorry for the Queen in this respect. Such a good woman.

Plus article stated that his black eye was do to being "hit by a doornob"! In my mind, I would LOVE to have seen him get the black eye from his wife hitting him with a thrown asktray!

Last edited:
The public relations people who work for the SRF must be pulling their hair out. It'll take some pretty epic spinning to minimise the damage that all these mis-steps are causing.

I was going to say they seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot - but figured that would be the wrong analogy this week of all weeks.

How right you are........he always has and he will never change at this age. I guess committing adultry is not part of his personal religion restriction. I have always felt sorry for the Queen in this respect. Such a good woman.

Plus article stated that his black eye was do to being "hit by a doornob"! In my mind, I would LOVE to have seen him get the black eye from his wife hitting him with a thrown asktray!

Absolutely agree. And: as Duke said beforehand, it seems, that the media has changed as well (probably since Inaki, probably since the revealing pilar Eyre Book), so that the king is no longer an "untouchable person", i.e. that his mistakes are no longer kept under the carpet but presented to the Spanish public. With this step he even fueled the negative press around the RF.

BTW - I hate Elephant Hunters!

BYe Bine

The public relations people who work for the SRF must be pulling their hair out. It'll take some pretty epic spinning to minimise the damage that all these mis-steps are causing.

I was going to say they seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot - but figured that would be the wrong analogy this week of all weeks.
I don't think there's a way to spin this. No matter how hardcore a PR expert you are.

Probably that he could get away with it.:whistling:

Had he not fallen in his logde, it would never have become public knowledge.
Had Froilan not shot himself in the foot, it would never have become public knowlegde that he is handling weapons as a minor. And I am not even mentioning Inaki.

In public the SRF usually sports the modest, prudent and clean image. Only some little details going wrong expose them as not being better than anyone else, rather the opposite. In all those years back, either the media turned a blind eye out of respect or the political / social climate wasnt responding to such a thing (eg F&L got "caught" only because of security issues at Miami airport in 2004 prior to their wedding, when they went partying on the Bahamas after calling off all pre-wedding festivities in Madrid due to the bombings. It did make a few headlines back then but would be a much bigger issue today). Ignoring the fact that both saving issues have changed since speaks volumes about the state of mind of the SRF members.

The Head of State of a country like Spain going off shooting elephants in times like these is beyond all imagination. Its nothing that can be explained or be justified in any way, no matter what kind of PR people you have employed.

King Juan Carlos of Spain operated on after 'elephant hunting' accident. - Telegraph
Bad headlines everywhere
It was not the king's first hunting controversy. In 2006 there were reports that while on holiday in Russia he had shot and killed a performing bear called Mitrofan which had first been fed honey mixed with vodka.

Last edited:
Elpulso has a rather nasty article. It says that the queen left to Greece although her grandson is in the hospital, she left her daughter alone with a former husband with whom they are not in a good speaking terms.
The article also tells about Corinna and that maybe the queen has had it enough.
Y la Reina dio la "espantá" | ElPulso.es
Google translation

It's really quite repulsive. The whole business of it.

Don Juan Carlos appears a very self indulgent indavidual. His moral compas is questionable at best.

Sorry, but do the Spanish royal family have an issue with firearms in general? Give them a gun and controvery follows. The King shot his brother, he's hunted elephants and bears, his grandchild shot himself in the foot and if I recall he was rather close to late King Zog of Albania who was suspected and accused of firearms smuggling whilst living in Spain. Evidently a shared common interest of the metal (though I do not suggest the King of Spain was at all involved in Zogu's dealings).

I really feel for the Queen. She is a dear and gracious lady.

Last edited:
Had he not fallen in his logde, it would never have become public knowledge.

yes, that's the sadest part: i bet there are so many other things we don't even know about and are just as despicable!

i am horrified as well. i am an avid animal welfare supporter and this pictures make me cringe. people go to botswana to hunt elephants because in the 99% of the rest of the world it is forbidden. well, you should behave abroad as you do at home. if at home X behaviour is condemned, it says very little of you to go abroad and perform X just because you can. it's all about integrity and this shows little integrity to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking about integrity, queen sofia, officially catholic, went abroad to celebrate the orthodox easter (but, isn't she catholic?!). again, we wouldn't have known about this had the king not broken his hip. again, it's all about integrity and it says very little to me if you go abroad to celebrate in the rite you believe in and perform some kind of "theatre" when in spain.

That's such a narrow minded point of view. That the Queen's integrity should be put into question because she spent the holiday with her Orthodox relatives is completely unjustified. Who are you, or anyone, to question her religious beliefs and claim them as little more than "theatre"?

A man goes hunting elephants with his supposed mistress alongside (which in all fairness, you've noted for the most part) and you feel resolved to question the integrity of his wife for spending time abroad with her family, who happen to be Orthodox?

There seems a total lack of rationalised perspective here.

Last edited:
Princess Corinna Sayn-Wittgenstein, a friend of the King, organizes hunts in Africa to nobles and billionaires by the company Boss & Company Sporting Agency, and offers "only the best shots".

Don Juan Carlos traveled on Monday to the Central African Republic to participate in an elephant hunt. According to various sources, Princess Sayn-Wittgenstein and several Spanish businessmen accompanied the monarch to Botswana in a private jet. Sayn-Wittgenstein, who spends long periods in Spain, has been linked romantically with the King of repeatedly in recent years. The princess, 46, divorced mother of two, is a big fan of hunting and sailing, two passions she shares with Don Juan Carlos.
Boss & Company Sporting Agency is responsible for all necessary arrangements for their wealthy clients enjoy and hunting safaris in Africa and other corners of the world.. The British firm led by Princess Sayn-Wittgenstein is committed to "satisfy all needs", from transport and commercial charter flights to the rental of rifles, to ammunition, hunting licenses, permits in the country of destination , accommodation and meals...
An official spokesman for the King's House said yesterday that Don Juan Carlos moved to Botswana on Sunday with "a group of companions," but refused to reveal the identities because it was a "private visit". The spokesman said the hunting trip was made by "an invitation" (from the president?). While in Africa, the King was always accompanied by a doctor of their regular equipment and three bodyguards of a safety device, all paid with public funds.
La princesa Sayn Wittgenstein, amiga del Rey, organiza cacerías para multimillonarios - Vanitatis
Google translation

The king, the honorary president of the WWF with a passion for hunting
El Rey, presidente de Honor de WWF y apasionado de la caza - Vanitatis
Google translation

Last edited:
Off topic posts will be removed,this is a current events thread,so please stay on topic.

Forget about 2007, this is it annus horribilis, and we are just getting started.:ermm:

After the Easter pictures the King left immediately for his hunting trip .
I think he already left when his grandson was in hospital , he seemed to be tired from all this family problems with the Palmas etc..

After the Easter pictures the King left immediately for his hunting trip .
I think he already left when his grandson was in hospital , he seemed to be tired from all this family problems with the Palmas etc..
Well, he has his own problem now!!!

I don't tolerate pleasure hunting for the purpose of bringing back a big-game trophy, and wish the king had engaged in the usual royal pastime of skiing or sailing if he wanted to take a vacation. But obviously with an arthritic hip, skiing is an impossibility. However, I'm really flabbergasted at his lack of judgment here, and the picture of that poor elephant lying propped against the tree just sickens me. The image of him and his companion standing in front of it with their rifles will be the level of how I equate the severity of his hip surgery. My respect for him has plummeted as a result of this senseless slaughter, and just because it's legal in Botswana doesn't mean he had to support it by partaking in it. And to take such a self-indulgent, lavishly expensive vacation in the midst of Spain's recession and unemployment shows how much he's lost touch with reality. Does the king not have advisers? The ancient Greeks called such extreme pride hubris. I feel sorry for Sofia and the rest of his family.

Last edited:
¿Y si no se hubiera caído? >> Micropolítica >> Blogs EL PAÍS

Translated Version: What if he had not fallen?

King Juan Carlos has lost touch with reality. Or at least so it seems. Only a profound disorientation and disconnection from society they must serve, explain, and bad-that seems right to hunt elephants. The trip is totally inadequate, improper and unjustified.

Inadequate, because Spain is one of the most critical moments of his international reputation. The journey of the monarch, to pamper yourself wrong, does not contribute to the image of moderation, effort and sacrifice that we must fight our reputation in the markets and institutions.

Improper, because the monarch can not, or should, ignore that elephant hunting for pleasure is obscene and hurt deeply, millions of sensitivities. It has all the components to be negligible. In addition, the staging of a hunt ready for enjoyment, feeds all perverse images of opulence and power.

Unjustified, because there is no reason to make this trip, at his age, with their physical, for hunting, and elephants. No explanation is understandable that accumulation of errors unwise and unnecessary.

But the key question is: What if I had not fallen? Well we would not know because the royal family does not report the king's private activities. It is arguable that, in the XXI century, we may regard as private a trip of this kind, but the really alarming to discover that no one stopped him.

How can anyone see the physical danger, aesthetic and ethical in thi s little adventure? The Royal Family is to satisfy the whims of his tenant, but to serve the Head of State. And act, always thus with this great responsibility. And who else knew? Is the Prince? No one discouraged him this nonsense? What world do they live?

The accumulation of errors of the monarchy in recent years is itself an institution that no longer understands its mission in society. It is difficult to serve a community with which they do not identify, did not understand and do not attend. The insensitivity is the first step in the breakup. Not that the Spanish society away from the monarchy, is reversed. Moreover, when lost modesty, as is the case of this hunting shameless is no longer possible dignity. And the blush does not restore it.

:previous:Although I agree with many points of the article, I have to ask who can stop him? Let's face it, JC is the patriarch of the family and I doubt there's anyone in the whole family who could have stopped him or talk some sense into him. He is the King (almost in the old sense) and he does whatever he pleases. The article argues that the Prince of Asturias should have stopped him. Seriously, does anyone think that Felipe de Borbon is going to stop his father from going on hunting trip? He may or may not approve (We don't know) But he certainly doesn't have to muscle to do it. I think Frolian's reaction when he was sent to the hospital sums it up rather nicely. "Grandfather will be furious" he said. It appears that JC has such a circle of respect around him that even in his family he is untouchable. Just my humble opinion.:mellow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom