Infanta Elena and Family, Current Events Part 6: November 2006 - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks lula for the pics!
It seems like Elena FINALLY got rid of the Braid (TM):lol:
Her new hairdo is much better:flowers:

http://www.eleconomista.es/espana/noticias/117725/12/06/Una-empresa-de-centros-comerciales-se-hace-de-oro-con-el-duque-de-Lugo.html

A company of malls ' is done of gold ' by the duke of Lugo

The owner of La Vaguada duplicates his sales and results after the fichaje of the son-in-law of the King. The president of the group, Robert de Balkany, is an intimate friend for years of Juan Carlos I.

The Austrian businessman Robert de Balkany has found the secret formula of the success to re-throw his company specialized in the management and propietary of commercial center in Spain of complexes as La Vaguada or Plaza North in Madrid and Gran Vía in Barcelona.

In the last exercise, his company, General Inmobiliaria Society, has duplicated both the sales and the results and the key is not only in the management. In November, 2004, Balkany registered a counselor stars: Jaime de Marichalar, duke of Lugo and son-in-law of the king Juan Carlos I.

Pioneering in Europe in the development of big malls and one of the European giants of the sector, the company admits that Marichalar's entry in the maximum organ of management has supposed a clear impulse to his business. " It is evident that it is a question of a counselor of the first level, which contribution has been vital in this first year after his incorporation ", explains a managerial high place, which prefers supporting the anonymity.

Nice pics...I'm glad Elena smiles more than she used to, it does wonders for her :innocent::flowers:

Los Duques de Lugo felicitan a la ciudad por la Navidad y expresan al alcalde su deseo de visitarla

Los Duques de Lugo, la infanta Elena de Borbón y Jaime de Marichalar, enviaron una postal al alcalde de Lugo, Xosé Clemente López Orozco, con una foto de familia, en la que manifiestan su deseo de visitar la ciudad y en la que felicitan al primer edil lucense y a la ciudad con motivo de las fiestas navideñas, según informó el ayuntamiento.

La pareja real remitió ayer la tarjeta de felicitación de Navidad acompañada de una foto en la que fueron retratados con sus hijos, Froilán y Victoria Federica.
En la felicitación desean al alcalde, a su familia y en general a toda la ciudad de Lugo unas 'muy felices' pascuas y los mejores deseos para 2007. Asimismo, anuncian su deseo de verse el próximo año ya que no tuvieron ocasión en éste que está a punto de rematar. Los Duques de Lugo, desde que obtuvieron esta distinción de manos del El Rey Juan Carlos I, con ocasión de su boda, envían todos los años una postal de felicitación acompañada de una fotografía.

Dukes de Lugo congratulate to the city by Christmas and express to the mayor their desire to visit it

Dukes de Lugo, infant Elena de Borbón and Jaime de Marichalar, they sent a postcard to the mayor of Lugo, Xosé Clemente Lopez Orozco, with a family photo, in that they show its desire to visit the city and in which they congratulate to the first lucense edile and the city in the occasion of the celebrations navideñas, according to the city council informed.
The real pair sent yesterday to the greeting card of Christmas accompanied by a photo in which were portrayed with its children, Froilán and Victoria Federica.

In the congratulation they wish the mayor, to its family and in general to all the city of Lugo ?very happy? Passovers and best desires for 2007. Also, they announce its desire to see the next year since they did not have occasion in which it is on the verge of ending.
Dukes de Lugo, ever since they obtained this distinction of hands of King Juan Carlos I, with occasion of its wedding, they every year send a postcard of congratulation accompanied by a photography.

Terra Actualidad - Europa Press

Elena certainly looks happier and more relaxed lately.

What is he talking about? I assume he referring to Elena and the fact that she will not be the Queen of Spain?

If Elena is being discriminated, then Infanta Pilar was also being discriminated. Infanta Pilar was the first born too, she should have been the Queen of Spain;), right Jaime Penafiel ? This old man is simply ridiculous.

He did say that Doña Elena was not the first woman to be discriminated by the constitution. Howeve he can't get Doña Leonor's name right and he had the guts to imply that since she decended from a taxi driver she is not good enought to be queen compared to her aunt the Infanta who decends from kings.

Doña Metizia said:
He did say that Doña Elena was not the first woman to be discriminated by the constitution. Howeve he can't get Doña Leonor's name right and he had the guts to imply that since she decended from a taxi driver she is not good enought to be queen compared to her aunt the Infanta who decends from kings.
He isn't really saying Leonor isn't good enough, he is just doing a comparison between Elena and Leonor. He just says in other words that Leonor, grandaughter of a taxi driver is in the place of Elena, grandaughter of Kings and daughter of Princes.
I don't agree with that, because a woman (grandaughter of a taxi driver) can be as good as a Queen, who is daughter of Princes and grandaughter of Kings. But of course this is "unfair" and the people will contest the monarchy and all those things.
But even with all those things we have to be honest: Jaime Peñafiel just wants to write polemic articles so the people talk about them. Besides after that problem with the Queen, he attacks the Royal Family all the time, and true is he really does it! Well I don't think this will affect our opinion. ;)

Doesn't Infanta Elena have a birthday soon? I feel a kinship with her at times. We were both born in 1963 and have been educators as well. Happy Birthday Elena!

TLLK said:
Could someone please summarize this article for me? My Spanish is not up to par. Thank you
http://www.elmundo.es/suplementos/cronica/2006/581/1166310013.html

This Friday, five years have passed since Jaime de Marichalar suffered a stroke. A dramatic day, which is still surrounded of incognitas.

While exercising at the gym, the Duke of Lugo felt bad and was transported to the hospital. "Jaime was in a much more delicate condition than what was said at the time. His stroke was very extensive, with a risk of death around 90%. That night, he got worse and both his wife, Infanta Elena, and his mother, the Countess of Ripalda, were told that he could pass away in a few hours", reveals a member of the staff that took care of him.

If miracles do happen, this one was the case of Marichalar. After leaving the hospital, he was never the same again. The previous Jaime, always discreet and a rigorous follower of protocol (even more than the monarchs themselves), turned into a disinhibited character, who couldn’t care less of everything. Unusual clothes and accesories (like bracelets, purses and fans), as well as weird companies were recognized as a sign of eccentricity. All this made him an aim for paparazzi and soon savage rumours started circulating, as that the stroke was due to the consumption of drugs and steroids. Those however were never confirmed.

But the gossip wasn’t even the worst part of the drama. At the age of 38, his left part of the body was paralyzed. He was no longer an independent person and rehabilitation was necessary. In fact, a special bathroom and a gymnasium for his exercises were added to the appartment that the Dukes of Lugo had at the street Ortega y Gasset.

But Jaime, instead of working in his rehabilitation, wanted to prove he was the same man and started yielding to a state of hyperactivity (an usual reaction in this kind of patients), calling friends to go out, never ending lunchs and dinners, etc). He didn't want to think. He lived in state of permanent anxiety.

This situation was especially hard for his wife, Infanta Elena. Rumours of split began. Sometimes Jaime took his son Froilán to a stroll and came back home at 10 PM. The poor woman was desperate, because those were not hours for a boy to stay out and because Jaime was not working in his rehabilitation. Even the King was alarmed and got to comment, during a reception: "I am very concerned about Jaime. I understand that he wants to amuse himself, but he must take a calmer life, to recover and not to neglect his rehabilitation. Elena reprimands him, but there is no way. And I cannot scold him, because he is a 39 year old man".

In November 2002, when travelling to Roland Garros final match, he suffered an epilepsis attack (an usual sequel after a stroke). His anxious life was not favoring his recovery and the medical staff advised him to go away from Spain, in order to focous in the 7 hour a day rehabilitation, at the Mount Sinaí hospital of New York.

The anonimity in NY had a balsamic effect both physically and familiarly. Besides, another key element for his future happened. His friend Bernard Arnaud, owner of the multinational Luois Vuitton, trusted him an office in New York and there Marichalar learned the mysteries of a world he is fond of. On his return to Spain, he continued working as an advisor of the MLVH counsel. Jaime has found his way. In addition, he holds his position in the Credit Suisse bank, where usually he works in the morning, and presides over the Winthertur (the cultural foundation of this organization). More relaxed now, he recognizes: "I know that people criticize me for some details of my clothing, but I am a fashion lover [...] It is part of my job".

Either way, it seems that the Dukes of Lugo lead opposite lives. He attends parties, while she is already sleeping, since she wakes up very early, to ride and teach English at the Kindergarten she owns. Nevertheless, they have met an entente, between their jobs and interests, where mutual respect prevails. Their lives have changed, but they are happy.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for posting these pictures of Elena and her familiy at the cinema. The kids are so cute. What was Victoria doing? With her arms wide open :wub: and yet at another picture it seemed she was hiding from the photographers. She's so cute. :)

Thanks so much for posting these picture !!!!!!

thanks so much lula.
Froilan and Victoria don´t have cold in their legs?

Thanks so much Lula. They are so beautiful. There must have been quite a lot of photographers, they are all squising their eyes because all of the flashing lights :)

Thanks for the great pics. The kids are looking more and more beautiful everyday. It's nice to see them out together.

Elsa,

Thank you for translating the article for me. I was surprised to find out how serious his condition was that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom